• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube is experimenting with not allowing users to use the desktop site with ad blockers enabled on browsers

Hudo

Not yet. It's similar to Amazon/Twitch fight against ad-blocking. Every now and then companies go on a war patch against adblockers and adblockers fight back and it goes on for a while till the company sort backs down and quiets down.

Seems like instead of Twitch, it's Google/Youtubes turn now. Right now, I thankfully haven't seen the popup but I uBlock is constantly making changes and whatnot so if anyone has issues just stay notified on :

uBlock Origin Reddit

Please, for the sake of Argentinians, don't do this. All this will do is tell Google there is an influx of Argentinians paying and they will increase the price for them.
Thanks for the link, man!

Spyxos

Gold Member
I got ads on desktop on 2 different PCs with Brave. Not every video though, and sometimes they only played at the end of the video after it was over.
On the pc I have Adblock and Ublock both active at the same time and if I don't unblock the page, nothing really comes through. Using Chrome Browser.

Last edited:

Z O N E

On the pc I have Adblock and Ublock both active at the same time and if I don't unblock the page, nothing really comes through. Using Chrome Browser.

You shouldn't be using 2 adblockers. All you need is uBlock Origin.

Using more than 1 adblocker actually providers you with LESS blocking.

Link to the creator of uBlock Origin tweeting about:

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
You shouldn't be using 2 adblockers. All you need is uBlock Origin.

Using more than 1 adblocker actually providers you with LESS blocking.

Link to the creator of uBlock Origin tweeting about:

Before I had only one adblocker and at some point quite a lot of advertising came through, since I used 2 it no longer happens at all.

Z O N E

Before I had only one adblocker and at some point quite a lot of advertising came through, since I used 2 it no longer happens at all.

Make sure to frequently Purge and then Update your filter lists. Websites are always finding other ways so the lists are frequently updated.

Also, default uBlock Origin is more than enough and you shouldn't enable more filter lists unless absolutely needed.

Also, if you have stuff like Privacy Badger or Ghostery or similar extensions, then you should remove those too as they can also bump heads with uBlock Origin. (Privacy Badger is not needed and Ghostery was purchased by a data selling company).

Erebus

It's still paying for youtube which I think is crazy.

It's a pretty good deal if you spend hours watching videos, plus you get Music and background playback on mobile devices.

Not yet. It's similar to Amazon/Twitch fight against ad-blocking. Every now and then companies go on a war patch against adblockers and adblockers fight back and it goes on for a while till the company sort backs down and quiets down.

Seems like instead of Twitch, it's Google/Youtubes turn now. Right now, I thankfully haven't seen the popup but I uBlock is constantly making changes and whatnot so if anyone has issues just stay notified on :

uBlock Origin Reddit

Please, for the sake of Argentinians, don't do this. All this will do is tell Google there is an influx of Argentinians paying and they will increase the price for them.
I think they're smarter than this. It's more likely to just ban VPNs or block such accounts.

Crayon

I use YouTube a ton so I finally caught up the 12 bucks a month.

If I could sign up for a VPN and skip those ad reads I would. 0_0

The other feature you get for YouTube premium is the ability for it to play while your phone is slept tho. Dubious if that should be behind a paywall but I use it that way as much as anything.

I don't do Netflix or anything so it's not like I have subs piling up.

Blade2.0

So you haven't been getting ads on Brave the past 2-3 days?
I actually haven't tried it on my PC recently. I'll try it now and let you know.

EDIT: I clicked through about 7 videos and never got an ad to pop for me,

Last edited:

DKehoe

I use YouTube a ton so I finally caught up the 12 bucks a month.

If I could sign up for a VPN and skip those ad reads I would. 0_0

The other feature you get for YouTube premium is the ability for it to play while your phone is slept tho. Dubious if that should be behind a paywall but I use it that way as much as anything.

I don't do Netflix or anything so it's not like I have subs piling up.
I assume that's so it makes it harder for people to use it as a music service.

Top Bottom