• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube is experimenting with not allowing users to use the desktop site with ad blockers enabled on browsers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep I will always block their ads (and avoid paying premium) if I can. It's not exactly the same as pirating games or something.
And if you want to support your favorite creators, most of the good ones have alternate methods or you just disable the ad blocks for their channels.

I can't stress enough how dope QOL and customizable SmartTube is.

If they ever break YouTube on Firefox with uBlock then I'm done.

Well, for some channels I might just grab the link and download them to watch offline. You can use YT-DLP to download videos. YT-DL is the original but it's very slow. DLP is faster (for now).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Fail Just For Laughs GIF

Plashe

Neo Member
I'll just use the site to look for new channels and the ytfzf to watch them if this is happens, it's a pain but im not paying 10 dollars

LordOfChaos

i don't have the youtube app, but i use it through the browser.
i immediately refresh to kill the ads. i just have adguard pro

I tried living like this, tbh the web youtube is just a subpar experience on mobile, you do have to reload when an attempted add messes up playback, it's limited to 720p and no HDR, interface just doesn't feel as smooth as the app

I'm sure Apple won't budge any more than where they legally have to allow sideloading so only the EU. Would be nice to install freetube or something, but, Google and Apple have locked this down pretty down pat, and Premium is looking pretty appealing, especially if they also block desktop adblock, sucks that they can strongarm us like that but it's the most valuable video streaming platform to me

Last edited:

Humdinger

I sub to YT Premium. At first I thought the cost was too much, but I watch a lot of YT (streamed to my TV, not usually on desktop or cell phone), so it's well worth $11/month to be rid of those annoying ads.

JCK75

If revenue is an issue have they considered making the price of youtube premium not be absolutely insane?
Netflix, Hulu, Prime etc pay for their content, they pay to make content..
Youtube let their users foot all of the expense but then charge more than all of them. (more than prime+hulu combined)

If Google offered an option to pay for just ad-free YouTube then I'd do it. Not even background play and I don't want YouTube Music or video downloads. I'm just so fucking sick of the constant adverts but I'm not paying £12/month. No doubt they'll hike the price up even further because inflation.

They were trialling a Lite tier but fuck knows what they are doing with it.

If I can't watch YouTube on my PC then I'm not going to visit YouTube at all.

Great, youtube without adblocker is not usable. They are completely overdoing it on Youtube. Not only that before, during and after the video advertising is played. The Youtuber himself still have sometimes 2 or more advertisements in the video.
Mid programming advertisements still feels weird to me. In the U.K. our state broadcaster doesn’t have mid programme advertisements.

I can understand it to an extent, but we now have YouTube ads at the start, at points in the middle and at the end. Then we often have ‘this video is sponsored by from the content creators too.

More and more of my free time is taken up with ads.

Hudo

If they ever break YouTube on Firefox with uBlock then I'm done.

Well, for some channels I might just grab the link and download them to watch offline. You can use YT-DLP to download videos. YT-DL is the original but it's very slow. DLP is faster (for now).
This is where I'm at as well. I already never browse Youtube on my phone because I cannot (without a lot of hassle) install an adblocker there (thanks, Apple...). And every video nowadays has like 3 to 4 ads stacked together that play. And not only at the beginning of a video but also randomly inbetween. That's pretty much unwatchable for me. If they bring that shit to desktop, I just stop browsing Youtube.

Patrick S.

Banned
This is where I'm at as well. I already never browse Youtube on my phone because I cannot (without a lot of hassle) install an adblocker there (thanks, Apple...). And every video nowadays has like 3 to 4 ads stacked together that play. And not only at the beginning of a video but also randomly inbetween. That's pretty much unwatchable for me. If they bring that shit to desktop, I just stop browsing Youtube.
Just watch Youtube on Brave Browser ;) As a bonus, it has picture in picture, so you can watch Youtube and read NeoGAF at the same time <3

Humdinger

I'm the only person I've ever heard of who pays for premium and when I tell my friends they all make fun of me for it

Same. I watch Youtube way more than any other streaming services and up until recently I used Youtube Music as my streaming service so it was a good deal to me.

99% of my TV viewing is Youtube. I watch at least two hours a day, often more. I hardly watch anything else, and even the last movie I watched was on YT (Master and Commander, free on Premium).

And I hate commercials -- not just because they interrupt what I want to watch, but because of their stupid messaging/brainwashing. It's well worth 11 bucks a month to be free of them. No way I'd go back at this point.

Susurrus

I'm not really sure why anyone things Youtube would be upset about someone using adblock no longer using the service. Oh no, freeloader that doesn't bring anything stops using the service taking bandwidth, whatever should I do?

I pay for YT Premium (btw annual price is $120, which saves some money), but I will say the sponsored shit is really irritating. I already pay to remove ads but there's still effectively ads in the sponsored videos.

I'm not really sure why anyone things Youtube would be upset about someone using adblock no longer using the service. Oh no, freeloader that doesn't bring anything stops using the service taking bandwidth, whatever should I do?

I pay for YT Premium (btw annual price is $120, which saves some money), but I will say the sponsored shit is really irritating. I already pay to remove ads but there's still effectively ads in the sponsored videos.
It got annoying when I saw Angry Video Game Nerd doing that sponsors shit.

Pakoe

It got annoying when I saw Angry Video Game Nerd doing that sponsors shit.

Autoskips sponsored sections in vids, you're welcome.

Last edited:
I use safari extension Vinegar on my iPad and iPhone. It works flawlessly. Replaces the YouTube player with a superior one. I’ve been using it since it was released and it’s great. allows changing resolution, airplay, etc.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

on a side note. ONE HUNDRED TWENTY DOLLARS for YouTube premium? No wonder Google is making the site so much worse for free users. $120 per person?

Last edited:

DrFigs

why would they also raise the price of youtube premium while doing this :/ so sleazy. i was thinking of signing up too

Pejo

Autoskips sponsored sections in vids, you're welcome.
So Brave Browser isn't stopping the ads by default as of a few days ago. Do any of these still work? Looks like they must have changed something recently.

tamago84

Everything is going for short term profits- gaming and software; corp execs just want to fill their pockets and leave with full stashes while leaving behind a destroyed company for the young uneducated to try to fix

Erebus

You guys know you can set up a VPN to buy Youtube Premium from say, Argentina and pay like a $1-2/month, right?

Z O N E

I haven't seen anything of that sort either (also on FF with uBlock). Maybe Google's anti adblock bullshit they've tried to push through Chromium is finally taking effect?

Not yet. It's similar to Amazon/Twitch fight against ad-blocking. Every now and then companies go on a war patch against adblockers and adblockers fight back and it goes on for a while till the company sort backs down and quiets down.

Seems like instead of Twitch, it's Google/Youtubes turn now. Right now, I thankfully haven't seen the popup but I uBlock is constantly making changes and whatnot so if anyone has issues just stay notified on :

uBlock Origin Reddit

You guys know you can set up a VPN to buy Youtube Premium from say, Argentina and pay like a $1-2/month, right?

Please, for the sake of Argentinians, don't do this. All this will do is tell Google there is an influx of Argentinians paying and they will increase the price for them.

Pejo

I have the Brave Browser on my Phone and i didn't get any ads today.
I got ads on desktop on 2 different PCs with Brave. Not every video though, and sometimes they only played at the end of the video after it was over.

Top Bottom