• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtuber 'The Completionist' accused of running a fake charity

Draugoth

Gold Member
TLDR;

Youtuber, Speedrunner and Investigation Journalist Karl Jobst has released a video showing up evidence that accuses Gaming Youtuber 'The Completionist" of running a fake Charity that kept donations:

The Open Hand Foundation, founded in part by Jirard Khalil (The Completionist) has been keeping and storing donations for 10 years.

Update1:

Update 2:

Last edited:

ssringo

Mmm, youtuber drama. Don't know or care about the people involved but charity fraud is some super scummy bullshit deserving of all the repercussions.

Edit: It is worth pointing out it doesn't seem like they've spent it on hookers and blow. Just pulled in the donations and have sat on it for a decade. Still scummy and a waste of donations from people who thought their money was going somewhere else.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is terrible.

LOL.

Never donate to any grifty kind of site or person. Hell, even donating to a big charity company can be shifty. There's sites that would even show how much of a ratio of payouts the popular charities donate vs paying for employees and CEOs who can make a million dollars salary. Put it this way gents, from what I remember there's charities hat donate like 2% of the funds. The rest is salary or kept by the owner.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
tl;r
He got the foundation and got the money there.
He just isn't donating it anywhere because "he had no idea it's not going anywhere" lol.

Banjo64

cumsessed
LOL.

Never donate to any grifty kind of site or person. Hell, even donating to a big charity company can be shifty. There's sites that would even show how much of a ratio of payouts the popular charities donate vs paying for employees and CEOs who can make a million dollars salary. Put it this way gents, from what I remember there's charities hat donate like 2% of the funds. The rest is salary or kept by the owner.
Correct. If you want to be charitable donate food to a food bank or clothes. Or straight to a children’s hospital with consoles etc. Some charities will be worth while if you know it inside and out. I think it’s the main breast cancer charity in the UK where only like 50% goes to actual research. Laughable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is why I never donate to ANY charity

I simply trust NONE of them
I barely donate too.

Make note, the second you donate you'll get on a million marketing lists and you'll never get off them. I did some of those hospital charities and won some gear. Its no sham. My bro even won $1000. Problem is they keep bugging you with mailers and voice messages.

They got a sneaky way of leaving you a voice message reminder about their next draw without even ringing your phone. It goes direct to voice mail and unavoidable even if you block the number. I've tried and still get them. Or they just use another number. Block. And they'll probably use another number.

ckaneo

Very strange. Someone needs to confirm the money is actually in that bank account they claim it is. If it is, I'm assuming the brother has it in a high interest account and pockets the excess amount

SCB3

Wait, just so I understand

• They took money to donate
  • but don't know where they were donating it
  • so held onto the money for 10 years
  • whilst not actively looking
Why? To make a bit of interest over 10 years? Doesn't seem worth it, also hasn't he done yearly charity events since then?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Why? To make a bit of interest over 10 years? Doesn't seem worth it, also hasn't he done yearly charity events since then?
Going the filings, he also takes around $10,000 per year for expenses/upkeep.

MiguelItUp

Correct. He's done them every year for a number of years. This could just be a gigantic error, like Mutahar said in his video. But, it really doesn't look good on Jirard or the charity.

But yeah, let it be known, always look into charities and where the donations are going. The information is generally RIGHT there because it has to be. It just sucks that we have to be in this position to begin with. People can be so awful and gross. Especially when it comes to getting money. :(

Tams

LOL.

Yep, this is why I don't donate to charities anymore. And especially not fundraisers where people go climb Everest or some bullshit.

Now, the odd donation of something tangible, my time, or buying something at a charity shop or bake sale? Sure, as at least with the latter two I get something out of it if it's a waste of time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Going the filings, he also takes around $10,000 per year for expenses/upkeep.

what expenses do they have, outside of hiring an accountant to do these filings? That's like $200 max.

The crazy thing is that this guy's reputation is going to be absolutely torched over a pitiful amount of money. $10k in "expenses" a year and maybe $10k in this money sitting in a high interest bank account. Isn't he rich? How stupid.

Last edited:

T-0800

George Costanza Festival GIF

Darchaos

You always now when thoose fucks, influencers and streamers and lowlife like that does "charity" it is always to get subs and shit for themself. Neverever is it couse they actually cares, scum of the earth.

LOL.

People who donate to charities on the internwebs kind of deserve to get robbed I am sorry.

You are an idiot to believe a random person or an organization in the first place.

I have never believed in giving donations to anyone or anything in this world. You need money? Go work for it and stop being a lazy cunt. When I was growing up and was poor as shit no one gave me or my family anything either, so everyone else can go get fucked. Neither did we ever begged for money. Now, I live a better life than most people.

I hate lazy ass scumbags, eat shit and continue to rot please.

ckaneo

LOL.

People who donate to charities on the internwebs kind of deserve to get robbed I am sorry.

You are an idiot to believe a random person or an organization in the first place.

I have never believed in giving donations to anyone or anything in this world. You need money? Go work for it and stop being a lazy cunt. When I was growing up and was poor as shit no one gave me or my family anything either, so everyone else can go get fucked. Neither did we ever begged for money. Now, I live a better life than most people.

I hate lazy ass scumbags, eat shit and continue to rot please.
What type of diatribe is this. People were donating to research. Where does laziness even come into the equation here lol.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
TLDR;

Youtuber, Speedrunner and Investigation Journalist Karl Jobst has released a video showing up evidence that accuses Gaming Youtuber 'The Completionist" of running a fake Charity that kept donations:

DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DONATE, PEACE

*seal clapping*

Loop Satisfying GIF by philiplueck

demigod

Most places in the US that do donations are for the simple purpose of tax write off's. Not actually helping shit. If it was to help they'd donate their own money instead of asking you for a Dollar at checkout
Stop asking me for donations you cunts at Panda Express.

No idea who this Jirard dude is, i only saw his ass on G4 when Frosk was pmsing.

bender

What time is it?
Problem is, he’s been continuing to make claims that the money is going into charities, even after he ‘found out’ the money was in their bank account.

I guess we have to sprinkle some deceit on that best case scenario as well. My favorite part was asking Karl and Mutahar for recommendations on who to donate to. I just pray the money is still all there.

Quantum253

This is why I never donate to ANY charity

I simply trust NONE of them
Right.. And even the legit hold a majority for administrative fees. Or to help whichever cause, your money goes to the advertisement/distribution of ads to help support the cause.
However, if they're sitting on the donations and collecting the interest, the original funds could still be given to said cause. Still pretty scummy though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I bought a Cure egg from the goodwill last week and the sticker said new and there was dust in the reservoir

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc
Top Bottom