• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtuber 'The Completionist' accused of running a fake charity

Astray

Gold Member
it seems pretty cut and dry to me. Now if the money doesnt exist and they are lying on tax forms, that is a federal crime and someone should/will be going to jail.
I tend to reserve judgment when it comes to those big youtuber callouts until something completely definitive comes out.

Z O N E

LOL.

Never donate to any grifty kind of site or person. Hell, even donating to a big charity company can be shifty. There's sites that would even show how much of a ratio of payouts the popular charities donate vs paying for employees and CEOs who can make a million dollars salary. Put it this way gents, from what I remember there's charities hat donate like 2% of the funds. The rest is salary or kept by the owner.

Yup, this.

I think I read the same thing as you. For example, if you donated $1, only 2 cents of that $1 would actually got to helping those in need you were donating to. It's absolutely insane.

All charities should be 100% open with where the money is going and what is being purchased and all of that.

peronmls

I have never trusted a random person on YouTube to hold a charity event. Never will. I understand people want every bit of money for any little thing they put out there and to me it’s just not worth it. They don’t need mine or anybody else’s money. Especially to watch them give opinions and play a video game. Give me a break. Nobody wants to work anymore so we have things like this happening.

radewagon

Why does it seem like half of all the threads become populated with an obsession with wokeness and/or reset era? Is there a legitimate connection here, or is it just an addiction to bringing up those topics. Cause it seems to crop up like the rats in Plague Tale.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I tend to reserve judgment when it comes to those big youtuber callouts until something completely definitive comes out.
I understand, but if you take their official tax forms at face value and nothing else, they are bringing in money and not spending it like they say they are. That's actually the most charitable way to look at it, and that's basically all Jobst is doing.

Astray

Gold Member
I understand, but if you take their official tax forms at face value and nothing else, they are bringing in money and not spending it like they say they are. That's actually the most charitable way to look at it, and that's basically all Jobst is doing.
I didn't say that Jobst/SOG did anything wrong here btw, I'm just choosing to reserve judgement because I've seen a lot of things fizzle to nothing.

I'd rather be late believing a full and verified accusation than be early into believing a flawed one that falls apart later on.

poodaddy

Why does it seem like half of all the threads become populated with an obsession with wokeness and/or reset era? Is there a legitimate connection here, or is it just an addiction to bringing up those topics. Cause it seems to crop up like the rats in Plague Tale.
It's probably because the YouTuber in question has a squeaky clean image and trys to pull in the woke audience, making this whole fiasco all the more ironic.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn't say that Jobst/SOG did anything wrong here btw, I'm just choosing to reserve judgement because I've seen a lot of things fizzle to nothing.

I'd rather be late believing a full and verified accusation than be early into believing a flawed one that falls apart later on.
Like I said, you can see the forms for yourself: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/300827510/202203199349108730/full

It's clear they are taking money and not spending it. There is absolutely no way that this can "fall apart" and in the video, Jirard's brother provides an idiotic non-explanation for why the money is not being spent. It's just what is going on, based on the forms. It's all right there.

DaGwaphics

He should have just spent 90% of the money on "expenses" and made sure to use the last 10% for charity, totally could have had an A+ rating. His printing business, media business and promotions companies would have also been extremely profitable, great for the resume.

MiguelItUp

A lot of people apparently go over there to see their responses, I never understood it. I did it this one time to see what was up with the "neo-nazi" comment, and I immediately regretted it. It's best to just act like they don't exist IMO.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Jirard is The Completionist.
The Completionist was a host in G42.0
Frosk was a host in G42.0
SEXISM IN GAMING

It's all tied together, and post Great Exodus, Era has always personally felt like a piece of the GAF puzzle. Like any news, there's always two sides or takes, and I like to see what the pulse is on both ends.

It's not my fault that the other pulse always happens to be hilarious.

quest

Not Banned from OT
He said he was made aware last year and is looking into places to donate.

Probably lying though

3JXPHZd.png

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well idk if true but street Hamas and Israel latest conflict, I'm definitely not giving my money to any charity anymore, we all know we're all this money is going to

rkofan87

Gold Member
I dont have that estrict of a rule, but close. I just donate to some very well establish fundations, I would never give my money to a streamer or camgirl (ex. Amounrath) which apparently many people do for some insane reason.
even then you do not know what shady or not.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I’m not hoping it happens, but if anything similar were to come out about Games Done Quick, the gaming world would get a rockin’ and a rollin’. That event raised MILLIONS.

Médecins Sans Frontières is one of the biggest organizations that GDQ supports, lol. The Speedrunning community is full of broken people, mentally. A good chunk of them even became Trans/non-binary. They'd keep supporting, even if they knew the truth. Because helping ship migrants to countries already facing mounting problems; GOOD.

That Jirard guy, i remember kinda enjoying his videos here and there, but then posted that one video about how unhappy he was in regards to his job, and to me it came off really insincere and unappreciative that he gets to work in games and became internet famous which happens to like, 1% of people

Like the video started off with him having a crisis about having to change his format and hoping his audience understood, which is fine, normal anxiety, but then became a whole "work is hard, it's stressful," and it's like....yeah. work is hard and stressful. At least you get to work with video games and have thousands of people cheering for you on social media everyday during a time i was working a shit job just to make it by with my manager telling me how mediocre i allegedly was

I've not watched a ton of his content, a few videos on games or series I've liked. I like them. I presume the rest of the his stuff is more or less representative by what I watched. Definitely good background noise.

That said, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" is very alive and well these days, and I have no dog in the race, so this is all interesting to watch.

Hopefully some people learned some good lessons. I've donated to charity in the past for specific events or causes, but I would never just blindly trust any organization and I don't do it enough to have any real hard feelings about this scenario in general.

It'll be interesting to see how he digs himself out of this, as even if there's nothing extremely nefarious on the surface level, the moral ramifications and obvious dishonesty should absolutely kill this "charity"

Last edited:

Jsisto

Honestly it’s a pretty sad state of affairs when my first instinct is to think he’s more than likely innocent and we’re not getting all the context. The damage these witch hunts and unjust “cancellations” have done to true investigative journalism over the last several years is tragic. Big time “I always knew something was off about him” energy here. In fact I’d be willing to bet someone said that exact thing on resetera.

Phobos Base

Honestly it’s a pretty sad state of affairs when my first instinct is to think he’s more than likely innocent and we’re not getting all the context. The damage these witch hunts and unjust “cancellations” have done to true investigative journalism over the last several years is tragic. Big time “I always knew something was off about him” energy here. In fact I’d be willing to bet someone said that exact thing on resetera.

I would like to think that as I've enjoyed his videos....but it's not looking good. At the very best he was incompetent enough not to realise a charity he and his family run had somehow never donated anything in 10 years.

tylrdiablos

Has there been any official response from him or the charity?
Can't see anything on their Twitter accounts but they might have multiple accounts.
Surely the longer they leave it the worse they look.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I think he is the true victim here. These videogames companies hectic us with their nonstop hype yea yea always more jeu look at this dlc you want dis i got more, and more and more and more want this want this want this, yeah you have to buy this, slave, you don’t have a choice, plus what else you gonna do with your free time? Oh, you can’t stand real life or work cuz yous addicted to those awesome games we’re making you buy? Tough luck.

So that is the situation. He was forced to do this. And all you hypocrites condemning him should all be afraid to cast the first stone!

Humdinger

I disagree with the more cynical takes in the thread that say all charities are scams. That's just not the case.

However, I do think that anyone who wants to contribute money to a cause should:

• Prioritize small, local charities over large, national/international ones (less overhead, more bang for the buck, plus you help your own community)
  • Do research before donating to a charity (e.g., consult Charity Navigator or similar sites that rank charities, look at the charities' budgets). I used to regularly donate to the ASPCA and HSUS before I discovered where their money goes. Same is true for most of the big charities.

Also, prepare yourself for spam mail from charities. Once you start donating, you end up on shared mailing lists, and you will get a lot of solicitations through the mail. I just throw them away unopened (although I do appreciate the occasional free calendar, lol).

p.s. Oh yeah, and don't donate to Youtube gaming personalities.

Last edited:

Kaleinc

Banned
If you haven't been under a rock for the last 50 years it's a well known fact that charities use 99.9% of donations for private jets and hookers. That's the good ones. The rest could be funding Hamas or Alqaeda
Keep giving money to nigerian prince
About this fat fuck - came to the country to commit crime. Owned you boys from behind lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"The money sits in an account UNTOUCHED"

Yeh, that means it's collecting interest, where is the interest going
You can get a high interest savings account paying 4%. That money is going straight to Best Buy for a TV.

The account is up to $500,000+ and that already includes him pulling around $10,000 out per year. The donations are $100,000+ per year now.

The forms in the video do not account for interest gains. If he's maximizing it safely in a 4% interest account, he's getting $20,000 in interest per year now.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yikes.

Skill Up just started this week in video games saying he’s asked Jirard to step back from their podcast, and that these are serious allegations that need investigating.

If the dude has friends distancing themselves, it feels like something pretty damn shady has been going on.

Top Bottom