• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone page ragnarokx!!

It also says that the Sheikah Slate is damaged, which would suggest that it had whatever info was in those slots before, and for whatever reason lost it. If all of those are for runes and rune upgrades... That's 36 slots, right? Yeesh...

Maybe it's a beastiary? Or maybe a photo album? What other types of apps would Sheikahs put on their smartphones?

It also says that the Sheikah Slate is damaged, which would suggest that it had whatever info was in those slots before, and for whatever reason lost it. If all of those are for runes and rune upgrades... That's 36 slots, right? Yeesh...

Maybe it's a beastiary? Or maybe a photo album? What other types of apps would Sheikahs put on their smartphones?

I think that bestiary and photo album is far too small for the number of slots, i would think that it is something related to the runes and upgrades, like you said.

The first 5 character one says "ALBUM", the second longer one says "HYRULE COMPENDIUM"

Awesome, thanks! There's another one that you can see on the map screen near the L shoulder button.

So photo album makes sense, though Hyrule Compendium doesn't really sound like a bestiary. Maybe it's more a collection of lore? Or region info?

Awesome, thanks! There's another one that you can see on the map screen near the L shoulder button.

So photo album makes sense, though Hyrule Compendium doesn't really sound like a bestiary. Maybe it's more a collection of lore? Or region info?

Oh! That one says "RUNE". A compendium is a collection of detailed info on a specific subject, so I think that the compendium section keeps track of enemies and objects that you scope out using the Sheikah Slate.

Also, because there's no companion in the game, you can't Z-target and call them to read enemy bios. The compendium is probably a way of still accessing them.

Oh! That one says "RUNE". A compendium is a collection of detailed info on a specific subject, so I think that the compendium section keeps track of enemies and objects that you scope out using the Sheikah Slate.

Also, because there's no companion in the game, you can't Z-target and call them to read enemy bios. The compendium is probably a way of still accessing them.

Nice! Hope someone finds how the rune screen looks like now on this new build.

Very cool, thanks! 24 slots strikes me as a bit low for enemy info, but maybe it's actually 24 categories of things like weapons, enemies, animals, materials, recipes, clothes, etc... That seems like an insane amount of information in this game, which would actually explain that rumor that this could be delayed due to localization taking too long.

Very cool, thanks! 24 slots strikes me as a bit low for enemy info, but maybe it's actually 24 categories of things like weapons, enemies, animals, materials, recipes, clothes, etc... That seems like an insane amount of information in this game, which would actually explain that rumor that this could be delayed due to localization taking too long.

I like your "24 categories" theory.

RagnarokX

7vgHxuh.jpg

I guess that explains why the Sheikah Slate is a tabula rasa.

This is cool stuff, looks like the most amount of options for a 3D Zelda ever provided. Hopefully I can turn the HUD completely off for full immersion, after all, I can still check hearts on the menu screen.
But you'd need the sound and weather icons at least? Or at minimum the sound one?

7vgHxuh.jpg

I guess that explains why the Sheikah Slate is a tabula rasa.

Hahahaha I read that as Hyrule.com Pendium and was like "Damn things got really advanced while Link was asleep"

PrimeBeef

Have we been given any indication of approximately how long it'll take to beat the main quest?

I have always been curious as to why this is important? I've always played games I enjoy and never worried about how long it takes. Especially in modern times with saves. I'm not attacking you I am genuinely curious. Even though I am gamer, I fall completely outside the norm for what many find important and relevant with this hobby. So I try to understand what I don't know of find confusing.

It looks like a phone so I really wouldn't be surprised if it took photos. You could have sidequests revolve around taking photos, just like in Wind Waker.

i hope the selfies are back lol

I have always been curious as to why this is important? I've always played games I enjoy and never worried about how long it takes. Especially in modern times with saves. I'm not attacking you I am genuinely curious. Even though I am gamer, I fall completely outside the norm for what many find important and relevant with this hobby. So I try to understand what I don't know of find confusing.

i think the game will have a very different length based on what you do. I think it's going to be hard to compare to past entries.

PrimeBeef

i hope the selfies are back lol

i think the game will have a very different length based on what you do. I think it's going to be hard to compare to past entries.

Right, I mean you could literally do the the required stuff to get off the GP, head to the castle and beat the game in an hour.

Right, I mean you could literally do the the required stuff to get off the GP, head to the castle and beat the game in an hour.

I'm betting it will take much, much longer than an hour to do that. Since you'll probably be dying a few dozen times. Hyrule Castle is likely surrounded by a lot of guardians, and even one guardian can one-shot Link with 3 hearts. Even if you just gallop full speed to the castle you're likely to bring a train of guardians with you which would make it almost impossible to survive.

Then you have to get into the castle, which might require a lot of stamina elixirs for climbing, or knowing where to jump off of to paraglide in... And you'd probably need elixirs for paragliding too.

Then you have to make it to Ganon. Surely there will be dozens of end-game enemies in the castle just waiting to shit up your day. Somehow you'll have to beat them with very little armor and 3 hearts. Maybe there are some sweet weapons lying around that you can steal to make it a tad easier.

Then you have to beat Ganon. We know nothing about this Ganon, but if he's anything like previous Ganons you typically need some sort of light arrow to at least stun him. So with this Ganon I'm betting you will have no way to stun him, and so you must hit him with whatever weapons you have quickly and then run away in order to survive his counterattacks.

So basically, speedruns of this game will be absolutely incredible to watch, and very few people will be able to beat the game in less than a couple hours. At least that's my take on this.

Seems to be an encyclopedia of the game's mutliple aspects, like weapons, enemies, outfitis, etc.

Let's see if we can come up with 24 of these. So far I have:

1. Enemies
  2. Animals
  3. Clothing/armor
  4. Weapons
  5. Bows
  6. Special items (like the sheikah slate)
  7. Materials
  8. Insects
  9. Recipes/food
  10. Potions/elixirs
  11. NPCs
  12. Towns
  13. Regions?
  14. Arrows?
  15. Shrines?
  16. Bosses?
  17. Story segments?

Can anyone think of 7 more?

Let's see if we can come up with 24 of these. So far I have:

1. Enemies
  2. Animals
  3. Clothing/armor
  4. Weapons
  5. Bows
  6. Special items (like the sheikah slate)
  7. Materials
  8. Insects
  9. Recipes/food
  10. Potions/elixirs
  11. NPCs
  12. Towns
  13. Regions?
  14. Arrows?
  15. Shrines?
  16. Bosses?
  17. Story segments?

Can anyone think of 7 more?
This made me think, did we discuss what the items shown at the loading screen, around 1:00 in the treehouse video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jKceEsj2E

Apart from the hearts and stamina meter, and rupees, there are three other icons. One that seems to be the amount of spirit orbs. One that looks like a tear drop? and the other, which the player has 4, seems like a portrait or something?

This made me think, did we discuss what the items shown at the loading screen, around 1:00 in the treehouse video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jKceEsj2E

Apart from the hearts and stamina meter, and rupees, there are three other icons. One that seems to be the amount of spirit orbs. One that looks like a tear drop? and the other, which the player has 4, seems like a portrait or something?

The teardrops are likely Korok seeds. No idea about the portraits, but if I had to guess I'd say number of Shrines completed? Which is weird since you think Spirit Orbs would tell you the same info. So maybe not?

Nope. Every 3D Zelda game except for TP has had separate buttons/controls for targeting and raising the shield.

I've played all of the 3D Zelda games and admittedly my memory isn't the best, but I'm pretty sure this is 100% false. Every 3D Zelda except for Skyward Sword had the shield raised automatically when targeting. And I think Skyward Sword had the shield raised while targeting, but it can't officially block without you motioning the nunchuk.

There is a separate shield button for when you are not targeting though. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

I've played all of the 3D Zelda games and admittedly my memory isn't the best, but I'm pretty sure this is 100% false. Every 3D Zelda except for Skyward Sword had the shield raised automatically when targeting. And I think Skyward Sword had the shield raised while targeting, but it can't officially block without you motioning the nunchuk.

There is a separate shield button for when you are not targeting though. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

Nope, he's right. In OOT, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker targeting alone doesn't bring up the shield, you also had to hold the 'R' button.

Nope, he's right. In OOT, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. Targeting alone doesn't bring up the shield, you also had to hold the 'R' button.

Wow, really? So basically my memory is terrible...

I guess I don't think much about controls when I'm playing a game, but still I was convinced targeting actually brought up the shield.

brad-t

Is there a situation you wouldn't want the shield up while locked on? Or more like you'd rather be able to use the shield without locking on?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nope, he's right. In OOT, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker targeting alone doesn't bring up the shield, you also had to hold the 'R' button.

Wow, really? So basically my memory is terrible...

I guess I don't think much about controls when I'm playing a game, but still I was convinced targeting actually brought up the shield.

Yep. And in SS, while there was no button for it, you had to move the Nunchuk forward to raise the shield. TP is the only game (until now) in which you cannot target without also automatically raising the shield.

Um, I don't think so. You have to hold down the block button while targeting in almost all 3D Zeldas.

Edit: missed previous posts

Um, I don't think so. You have to hold down the block button while targeting in almost all 3D Zeldas.

Edit: missed previous posts

Yeah I don't know why I remembered this incorrectly. My bad.

Anyway, is there any info on when review copies go out? Nintendo is usually pretty generous with review embargo dates, so I'd expect the embargo to end no less than a week before launch.

Raven77

I will say this, I am more hyped for this game than I have been for any other game in a VERY long time, but, every indoor screen I see just doesn't do it for me. The outside world is so vibrant and interesting while nearly every indoor dungeon (I assume) screen I see is just bland and boring.

I know they are saving tons of surprises but I'd love to see just a few shots showing some really interesting looking dungeons / indoor areas. Maybe I just missed them?

m4st4

I will say this, I am more hyped for this game than I have been for any other game in a VERY long time, but, every indoor screen I see just doesn't do it for me. The outside world is so vibrant and interesting while nearly every indoor dungeon (I assume) screen I see is just bland and boring.

I know they are saving tons of surprises but I'd love to see just a few shots showing some really interesting looking dungeons / indoor areas. Maybe I just missed them?

But didn't we only get shrine indoors so far, which are basically using the same assets? So, no wonder, man. But I believe we'll get lots of variety withing the cities and surprise locations and actual dungeons (at least four of them is my guess).

Raven77

But didn't we only get shrine indoors so far, which are basically using the same assets? So, no wonder, man. But I believe we'll get lots of variety withing the cities and surprise locations and actual dungeons (at least four of them is my guess).

Yeah I have no idea. I've avoided a lot of video streams and probably havent seen every screenshot. Just the ones I have seen of indoor areas seem pretty bland. Like I said, probably just because they are holding back stuff or I have just missed them.

They've typically done Facebook pictures weekly on Wednesdays and Fridays, though I think they skipped last Wednesday. So maybe they'll post a picture from a dungeon or other interior today?

I've decided to hold off on the Switch. I have a copy of Zelda Special Edition on preorder at Amazon. If anyone wants it for cost hit me up. I can change the shipping address to you and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom