• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and that sounds fine with me. I'm just glad we're getting epic boss fights!

I think Steppe Talus is a nice Template for how Zelda Bosses will play out in the game. There are a number of strategies you can apply in the fight, it's got both melee and ranged attacks that are dangerous, you have to use the climbing system (but not too early otherwise you'll get squashed). The Zelda item is used to actually do something to the boss like usual and it hits hard enough to come across as threatening. And they feel that it's worthwhile to reuse it which I like a lot because it often feels like a waste to make bosses and not do more with them.

This is the boss formula that should have taken root after Wind Waker.

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...saga_5066750_4408996.html#VUoyF52JILkFqSju.99

Also Kamek, I may not agree with your concerns but this is a really cool interview where Aonuma pretty much nails what all these other open world games do so well and what his team hopes to equal in Zelda. I really appreciate you sharing it.

Today got pretty curious as to how elegantly or inelegantly they'll account for the actual boundaries of the explorable world (apart from the far eastern edges because we can already guess)

Today got pretty curious as to how elegantly or inelegantly they'll account for the actual boundaries of the explorable world (apart from the far eastern edges because we can already guess)

Hm, oceans for the east, endless desert for the southwest, maaybe ridges for the middle & north west. The central north seems to be pretty gentle hills though, so I wonder about that.

watershed

Banned

Yeah this will be interesting to see. For sure someone is just gonna run as far as they can day 1 as soon as they exit the cave and upload the result to youtube.

The edge of the world will probably be shown through Sheikah tech design, like how the weapons disintegrate into blue energy once they finally break.

A lot more detail to notice now. Building slightly hidden in the background, might be a pond against the xliff wall at the back of the town. Spot a couple of lamposts and what looks like a mailbox on the main street.
LeVRZL1.png

Wonder if we'll be able to enter every building.

I dig the Potions Shop down there in the bottom right :D
Ooh, that mean magic is coming back. There's Green and Blue.

if you talk about the screenshots with Zelda in them, yes because they are likely pre-rendered.

However, you can see some aliasing in the gameplay and enviroment screenshots. Not much, thankfully. I think it just might look fine on the TV.

Going to look fantastic on the handheld anyway.

I found two screenshots especially interesting, because artifacts were removed you can see a lot more details

That

Li5kIPy.png

and this one

K7jsblp.jpg

Nr.1 may take place in some kind of fortress, while Nr. 2 may be in that Desert guardian. If you look closely at the background, you can see the same structures from the Shiekah Tech, but corrupted by the Calamity Ganon

That's a cool looking enemy.

The green color is now relegated to stamina, i don't think we will have magic meter, considering the fire and ice arrows are only limited to the quantity of these specific arrows.

Damn, you just had to straight kill my dreams like that. Couldn't just let me wait until I played it.

The green color is now relegated to stamina, i don't think we will have magic meter, considering the fire and ice arrows are only limited to the quantity of these specific arrows.

In the Game Awards footage, there was a magic meter and doing the jump/vault move consumed magic. Now we know it takes up stamina instead, which means it's more than likely been removed.

Interestingly, this wouldn't be the first game to have magic removed as I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to Twilight Princess (and they even left a beta screenshot with magic meter on some of the final packaging?).

In the Game Awards footage, there was a magic meter and doing the jump/vault move consumed magic. Now we know it takes up stamina instead, which means it's more than likely been removed.

Interestingly, this wouldn't be the first game to have magic removed as I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to Twilight Princess (and they even left a beta screenshot with magic meter on some of the final packaging?).

It was never a magic meter. They just had the stamina meter set up Dark Souls style in the earlier builds rather than make it in to a wheel hovering around the player character. Its a fusing of the stamina meter philosophies used in SS and ALBW. itll work well in BotW. the rune abilities have their own independent cooldowns

watershed

Banned
I'm confused, I thought runes have their own meter that governs stuff like bombs and stasis while the stamina meter governs climbing and sprinting and items like fire arrows and bomb arrows are quantities.

So Graphics Horse pointed out that you might be able to throw food or other things after you hold them because the d-pad down command changed from whistle to "far". If so, that's pretty much my last concern with the fundamentals of the Stealth system and Zelda might set another standard for Stealth in Action adventure titles which don't give enough attention to satisfying stealth mechanics.

Every time I have a concern with this game it seems to be invalidated. Let us see about how dungeons pan out. Though goddamn, they better reuse their work on this game. I'd hate to have worked on all these incredibly polished and smooth systems only to never do anything with them again.

I'm confused, I thought runes have their own meter that governs stuff like bombs and stasis while the stamina meter governs climbing and sprinting and items like fire arrows and bomb arrows are quantities.

Stamina only affects movement abilities aside for Shield Surfing. Runes operate on their own individual cooldowns. Fire/Ice/Bomb/Tech Arrows are quantities.

So Graphics Horse pointed out that you might be able to throw food or other things after you hold them because the d-pad down command changed from whistle to "far". If so, that's pretty much my last concern with the fundamentals of the Stealth system and Zelda might set another standard for Stealth in Action adventure titles which don't give enough attention to satisfying stealth mechanics.

Every time I have a concern with this game it seems to be invalidated. Let us see about how dungeons pan out. Though goddamn, they better reuse their work on this game. I'd hate to have worked on all these incredibly polished and smooth systems only to never do anything with them again.

Stamina only affects movement abilities aside for Shield Surfing. Runes operate on their own individual cooldowns. Fire/Ice/Bomb/Tech Arrows are quantities.
Do you have a pic of that?

What is "far" supposed to mean?

And it's really nice that you can press x to skip the cooking animation, it seems like the devs are really dedicated to cutting down on the annoying pauses that plagued the last few games.

I have no idea. But it seems to be a toggle between tossing and throwing the held items.

As for the Skipping things it's a great thing how snappy everything is in the game. Also, I don't know why but everyone who goes into the menu doesn't actually need to go into a sub menu to hold items. They just have to press X on the item they want to hold.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
hmmm, maybe if you throw an apple it wiil go far, but if you thro a bunch of items they just scatter right?
I'm going to toss some meat off a cliff and hope I can headshot a Bokoblin standing below.

Alebrije

The quantity of reaction videos for this game is huge, you can pass hours watching them. Some fake reactions but most of them are great and gives good vibes about the scope it has on the gaming community but also people that usually do not play videogames.

The people that did that trailer are genius , specially the musical sequence.

Xdrive05

Hey guys, how do review copies go out for system launch games? Do reviewers get the console and the game a couple weeks early or something like that?

Hey guys, how do review copies go out for system launch games? Do reviewers get the console and the game a couple weeks early or something like that?
I can only assume major publications will receive a switch ahead of time to be able to review it and its games.

When the ps4 pro came out recently major sites were getting them as gifts. I think the bigger worry is how the wii u version runs now as folks who aren't making the jump haven't really seen any new footage of the wii u version in a while

if i remember right the press got there wii u 2 or 3 weeks in advance usually how it is for new system launches.

jariw

Does anyone have a list of known effects that HD rumble will do on the Switch in this game? I read that when Link was sinking in a swamp, bubbles were felt through the with the HD rumble. Anything else that has surfaced through the demos?

Does anyone have a list of known effects that HD rumble will do on the Switch in this game? I read that when Link was sinking in a swamp, bubbles were felt through the with the HD rumble. Anything else that has surfaced through the demos?

I read that it makes use of HD rumble with drawing the bow string but that's it. Where did you hear about sinking in a swamp? If that's the case then the HD rumble will be felt when sinking in snow or sand probably too.

Burny

sticking with Switch not going to look back

If Cemu gets where dolphin is today, this game might get a bit of new life and turn a few heads again down the road. Question is whether that's by the time Nintendo's Switch successor is out and they release a "BotW HD". :p

I found the Switch demo's image quality pretty disappointing and this particular Zelda not retreating to such highly stylized visuals as, say, Mario Kart, doesn't help. Admittedly, if the demo was running at 900p, sitting only one and a half meter away from a pretty large TV for the demo doesn't help at all. Image quality would've been better when sitting at a reasonable distance of course, and from the accounts I heard, playing in mobile mode does really help. As it should, seeing as the game then renders in the Switch's screen native resolution and does not get stretched in the process.

Minor change:

Looks like Steppe Talus is now "Stone Talus" instead. This clip shows someone fighting one at the Switch NY event and the name has been changed.

I wonder if this change means "Talus" is a class of enemy and we'll find them made of different objects?

KingBroly

Banned
Minor change:

Looks like Steppe Talus is now "Stone Talus" instead. This clip shows someone fighting one at the Switch NY event and the name has been changed.

I wonder if this change means "Talus" is a class of enemy and we'll find them made of different objects?

I liked the name Steppe Talus a lot, so that makes me sad.

Hm, oceans for the east, endless desert for the southwest, maaybe ridges for the middle & north west. The central north seems to be pretty gentle hills though, so I wonder about that.

The question is, how do you actually provide reasonable boundaries in a game designed for you to actually overcome any boundary?

Say you have the ocean: you can get on a raft and sail with the korok leaf wherever you want. Maybe the current is too strong and will always push you back?

With the ridges: Link can climb up or down indefinitely if you have enough stamina restoring items. And by indefinitely, I mean literally he can climb for hours. You can't make a mountain or drop big enough for that to be a realistic boundary. At some point you'd have to have Link "fall"

With the desert: I suppose you can have Link get "lost" in the desert after walking through for a long enough time? That's probably the most realistic boundary.

So yeah, it will be very interesting to see how they handle this.

Okay so i had a Zelda Breath of the Wild dream tonight lol:

I was Link and i was being chased by a guardian in a forest, i was trying to escape and shot with the bow from time to time but it nearly did nothing on the machine. I had no horse and was onfoot running between trees hoping it would get stuck in the trees but it kept coming back and back. Then i wake up before trying to go head on with the guardian due a whatsapp message lol.

Well it was a epic dream it even was in the same artstyle and it looked real haha. Guess i have watched too much Breath of the Wild footage and the new trailer these days:p

But that kinda sounds like a nightmare... I've had some cool videogamey dreams before but still when you're running from a laser spitting death machine and can't do anything about it that's kinda terrifying!

13ruce

Banned
Okay so i had a Zelda Breath of the Wild dream tonight lol:

I was Link and i was being chased by a guardian in a forest, i was trying to escape and shot with the bow from time to time but it nearly did nothing on the machine. I had no horse and was onfoot running between trees hoping it would get stuck in the trees but it kept coming back and back. Then i wake up before trying to go head on with the guardian due a whatsapp message lol.

Well it was a epic dream it even was in the same artstyle and it looked real haha. Guess i have watched too much Breath of the Wild footage and the new trailer these days:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom