• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Clefargle

Welp, I guess I'm going on blackout until launch. The only thread I will read about BoTW until launch will be if the resolution/Frame rate the NX version runs at gets shown and an inevitable Digital Foundry peice comes out analyzing it. I just feel like this game will be special and I've already spoiled enough for myself. I want to go into this one relatively blind compared to SS and TP where I followed every single peice of media up till the day before launch. Hope you guys have fun hyping it up for the next year.

ReyVGM

Based on what we saw at E3, does anyone think the Happy Mask Salesman could fit into the BOTW world? If so, how do you imagine it being implemented? I ask because because I remembered that old Happy Mask Salesman Miiverse comment:

He probably will be in it, but that doesn't mean you'll get transformation masks. He'll probably just be a regular character like he was in OoT and Oracle of Ages.

It's not uncommon for Nintendo to reuse characters or descendants of that character. For example, Beedle. He's in WW, MC, PH, ST, SS.

I'm still hoping for NPCs with schedules though.

maxcriden

That's why I think it's really silly to look at any of the references and try to derive any specific timeline placement. The one exception is the ruined Temple of Time, which seems to be the very same building we see in Ocarina of Time.

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but what makes it that building rather than the one in Twilight Princess?

TheMoon

I'm sure I'm just missing something, but what makes it that building rather than the one in Twilight Princess?

Because it actually looks identical, you never see the Temple of Time in TP from the outside ...plus it's somewhere in the woods and this one is surrounded by castle/town/Castle Town ruins. I think you just forgot that part among the flood of info/details. :D

Remember when everyone's mind was blown when I mistook that set of stairs below a window for that same spot in OoT where you first meet Zelda? :)

maxcriden

Because it actually looks identical, you never see the Temple of Time in TP from the outside ...plus it's somewhere in the woods and this one is surrounded by castle/town/Castle Town ruins. I think you just forgot that part among the flood of info/details. :D

Remember when everyone's mind was blown when I mistook that set of stairs below a window for that same spot in OoT where you first meet Zelda? :)

Yeah, I remember :p

Hmm. Well, we've discussed ITT (or maybe it was the other one) also that they may be the same Temple of Time. Certainly, in the TP timeline, the Temple was either moved or rebuilt, and then destroyed. I suspect it was rebuilt given the different scale. That at least tells me the Temple of Time from Ocarina does not have ruins at any time up to ~some period of time prior to TP, since it's destroyed in the game and we traverse back in time to explore it, or at any time after. Make sense? I know they play fast and loose with these things, but I think there is a reason the Temple of Time is in a completely different place in TP. I suppose it's possible they rebuild it again in TP, back in its original location @_@, and then it gets destroyed again....

(But I do like the idea that we could also be looking at a weird timeline convergence in this game.)

Also, if we're saying the Great Plateau is the location of the previous Castle Town from OoT, then the Hyrule Castle way to the north is not built in the same place as the old Hyrule Castle (file that under 'duh', perhaps).

AdanVC

I wonder when we're going to get the next batch of new info about the game... Hope they don't go radio silence about it on what's left of 2016 : /

maxcriden

I don't really care when my mind will be blown (again) when I already know that it will happen. :D

Sure, sure. But just like the NX reveal itself, it's nice to have a general idea when the mind blowing could occur. Then again, it's nice to have it be a surprise, too. I suspect at this point we will see an unveiling at E3 and a release Holiday 17. But maybe they are going the anti-Wii U approach and we won't see a 2D or 3D mainline Mario till 1.5+ years after the system is out. That would be...disappointing, because I love Mario games, but it'd be something. I suspect Splatoon for example won't be waiting that long for at the least a re-release. We'll see, though!

TheMoon

I freaking hope so! With comparison footage of how it will look compared to the Wii U version and all that jazz.

I don't see them doing a "OMG LOOK AT DEM GFX!" thing with this, it's not their style. They can do it for remasters since they're only trying to sell the new product. They'll probably just let it stand for itself and have the youtubers take care of comparisons^^

I don't see them doing a "OMG LOOK AT DEM GFX!" thing with this, it's not their style. They can do it for remasters since they're only trying to sell the new product. They'll probably just let it stand for itself and have the youtubers take care of comparisons^^

That, and I'm not expecting much of a difference if any, anyway. So there's probably not going to be much to boast about. Maybe a farther draw distance for objects, and higher resolution at most.

TheMoon

That, and I'm not expecting much of a difference if any, anyway. So there's probably not going to be much to boast about. Maybe a farther draw distance for objects, and higher resolution at most.

Yea, this won't be a 2 gen jump forward like WWHD was. No reason to expect anything insane all of a sudden just because they happened to have done a rare "what we wanted" move with BotW's design now. I know it's pointless to say but ... keeping expectations within reason and remembering how Nintendo does things is a wiser choice than going nuts with expectations on graphics and second quests and lots of crazy things.^^

balgajo

I didn't noticed that the mountain with a hole was the snow location that the trailer showed.
Something bad probably happened here...
DdDHIYM.jpg

I didn't noticed that the mountain with a hole was the snow location that the trailer showed.
Something bad probably happened here...
DdDHIYM.jpg

People over at r/truezelda were musing that a giant guardian probably shot a laser through it at some point. I'm inclined to agree.

LukeTim

I'm still hoping for NPCs with schedules though.

Schedules would be great, but they worked better in MM because of the time restriction. There was a good excuse for seeing people doing the same things all the time.

AI would be ideal, but possibly more effort than its worth...

ika

Schedules would be great, but they worked better in MM because of the time restriction. There was a good excuse for seeing people doing the same things all the time.

AI would be ideal, but possibly more effort than its worth...

Maybe they can create some daily loops for a NPC and when you complete a part of a quest, a second loop starts. You would only need to keep track of the progress in a Bomber's Book equivalent.

It'd be cool and crazy if they make a seven day loop (some merchants only appearing on Saturdays and things like that), but I guess it'd be pretty complex and difficult to track...

ReyVGM

Maybe they can create some daily loops for a NPC and when you complete a part of a quest, a second loop starts. You would only need to keep track of the progress in a Bomber's Book equivalent.

It'd be cool and crazy if they make a seven day loop (some merchants only appearing on Saturdays and things like that), but I guess it'd be pretty complex and difficult to track...

Exactly. I've mentioned this in plenty of Zelda threads. The schedules could work just fine. The NPCs schedules would just reset each day until you complete a part of their quest, and then the other part would loop each day until you complete it.

1) The facade is basically identical to the one in Ocarina of Time.
2) They didn't go out of their way to include any features specific to the one in Twilight Princess.

I'm not super concerned about where Hyrule Castle is relative to this Temple of Time because I see that detail as something that scale changes and pacing/story/scenario demands could abrogate.

I don't expect everything to correlate in a 1:1 fashion (I believe it was Aonuma who said something in Hyrule Historia to the effect of the timeline not being fixed because it's built based on known information, which says to me that they don't see any facts as fixed), but when things do, that's when I start to recognize strong connections.

TheMoon

Oh, it shows that the spear and the pitchfork actually have slightly different movesets. The spear's level 2 charge does 13 hits, while the pitchfork's does 9. Also I think this is the first time we've seen a dash attack which he does with the spear here.

And people wonder why GX is taking so long... :)

And people wonder why GX is taking so long... :)

That dash attack is really cool. Correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while since I've played a mainline Zelda but is this the first time Link's been able to do that in a 3D Zelda?

Still finding out new stuff with just the demo footage floating around. Crazy.

TheMoon

That dash attack is really cool. Correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while since I've played a mainline Zelda but is this the first time Link's been able to do that in a 3D Zelda?

Still finding out new stuff with just the demo footage floating around. Crazy.

Since you could never dash before, yea. Well, aside from SS but that was all about stationary, slow-paced combat.

balgajo

Guys, I was analysing a bit of the outside plateau gameplay video and some other stuff that I decided to share with you.

First thing I noticed is that twin peaks seems to be in a different position. The taller part was to the left of death mountain in the reveal trailer and now seems to be to the right.
I also filtered some images to reveal a bit more of the world.

Here we can see shrines, a big river, a small bridge and a lot of towers. Also there's something like an altar/stairway in the center of the image.
A0bTu7W.jpg

Now, a bit more to the right of the last one, we can see more of the river path and something that seems to be an interesting forest.
gLCuCRx.jpg

In this picture we see what I think that is the same area where in the trailer Link fights with the bokoblin with spear and uses backflip while in slowmotion.
uQT75Vy.jpg

In the same area we see what appears to be a person(maybe another race?).
8qUnOCd.png

There is a lot of detail in the section where Link is riding a horse but I have other stuff to do so I can't elaborate further for now.

Miyamoto confirmed a quest log in one of the IGN interviews during E3. The one that mentions garden in a box being the precursor to current open world games.

ika

Miyamoto confirmed a quest log in one of the IGN interviews during E3. The one that mentions garden in a box being the precursor to current open world games.

That's great! :D This is looking more and more like a godlike mix between Zelda I, Majora's and Xenblade... ^___^

ReyVGM

So did the game blow all naysayers here away?

Before this E3 I watched the E3 2014 and Game Awards footage at least twice a month, I was consuming any article or youtube video talking about the game. But about a week before E3 2016, my hype was kinda self-deflated when I thought that maybe the game wasn't going to live up to all the high expectations, and that all the ideas I had in my head (and the stuff people posted on this forum that they wanted) were never really going to get added to the game and we would just get the same traditional Zelda, but with an open world.

Even watching the E3 trailer, I got excited when I heard the voiceovers, when I saw Link wearing armor, and the different weapons, but it still felt like it was kinda the same.

But once I saw the Treehouse footage, oh man, all my worries disappeared completely. Although the game has a mix of mechanics seen in other (western) games, we have never seen it together like this, and not only that, they fit so perfectly in the game.

I can honestly say that this game surpassed all my expectations by a huge margin.

So did the game blow all naysayers here away?

Before this E3 I watched the E3 2014 and Game Awards footage at least twice a month, I was consuming any article or youtube video talking about the game. But about a week before E3 2016, my hype was kinda self-deflated when I thought that maybe the game wasn't going to live up to all the high expectations, and that all the ideas I had in my head (and the stuff people posted on this forum that they wanted) were never really going to get added to the game and we would just get the same traditional Zelda, but with an open world.

Even watching the E3 trailer, I got excited when I heard the voiceovers, when I saw Link wearing armor, and the different weapons, but it still felt like it was kinda the same.

But once I saw the Treehouse footage, oh man, all my worries disappeared completely. Although the game has a mix of mechanics seen in other (western) games, we have never seen it together like this, and not only that, they fit so perfectly in the game.

I can honestly say that this game surpassed all my expectations by a huge margin.

It definitely surpassed mine. I honestly tried to envision what a Zelda that broke most of the conventions would look like and was failing to. I remember after SS came out that I said "they'll never add real rpg elements to Zelda". They did though and struck a perfect balance.

I definitely never expected Zelda to go true open world and the robust physics system wasn't even something I considered but boy am I glad Nintendo did because it's great and it fits the gameplay style of the series so well.

LukeTim

How would it work with dynamic things like weather though?

Presumably, most people would not go out of their house if it is raining. I guess you would have a special "raining loop" for whenever it rains?

Then you are beginning to get into the realms of AI. I feel like if you're going to have a dynamic environment, you kind of need your NPCs to have some AI to react to it...

Xun

Is it definitely confirmed that the day/night cycle will be only 24 mins?

I wish it were longer to be honest.

wolflink

Banned
Guys, I was analysing a bit of the outside plateau gameplay video and some other stuff that I decided to share with you.

First thing I noticed is that twin peaks seems to be in a different position. The taller part was to the left of death mountain in the reveal trailer and now seems to be to the right.

Maybe we all have been deceived.

What if, there are not one, but two hyrule castles.
I mean lets go back to the first glimpse. We saw that twin peaks at the west from link´s perspective, and i think the side we are watching in that first glipmse is the east side, where is the east hyrule castle ( the one that looks white and blue and with a town).

Now, The calamity ganon castle is west from twin peaks.

That way, "the bridge" betwen west and east hyrule is that twin peak mountain.

West castle = West Hyrule= OLD HYRULE
East Castle= East Hyrule= NEW HYRULE

That theory even makes sense with the adult timeline and that way it explains the koroks presence and the sheika technology.

And the plot revolves around Old vs New (As some people has suggested)
But the exiting part is:

OLD LINK VS NEW LINK
Old link the one we will be playing. (The blue tunic) The hero who did not appeared.
New Link the one that is the main villain. (the Green Tunic) Descendant of windwaker link.

My english is some kind of rusted, sorry.

And now this THIEf stole our theories :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoQ8oDZNp6E

Top Bottom