• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

D_prOdigy

The exploitable nature of the physics is what makes it so interesting, but I get the sense that that's gonna be what most critics pick up on. If the development team removes or tones that down, there'll be an uproar, but if they leave it as is, I can just see plenty of comparisons to something like Skyrim in how 'janky' it feels. An idealized middle-ground that will please everyone is surely impossible to attain.

wishdom

FWEzjZn.gif

Damn didn't know steppe talus could launch you like that!

ReyVGM

Now that Nintendo is putting care into the physics of the game, I would like for them to also put more care into the character's interactions with the world.

Most games, barring a few exceptions, still interact with the world as if it was a PS/N64 game. I'm used to it, but it bothers me a little to run towards a wall and see the character still doing running animation instead of putting his hands on the wall to stop himself like you would do in real life.

Or when you bump into a character, both you and the NPC react as if nothing happened. Your character should at least move his shoulders back, dodge, or use his hands to push the other person aside.

maxcriden

Thats the big guardian you see in the e3 14 trailer

We saw that all the way back in E3 '14??

Edit: nevermind, sorry, saw this as already addressed.

The exploitable nature of the physics is what makes it so interesting, but I get the sense that that's gonna be what most critics pick up on. If the development team removes or tones that down, there'll be an uproar, but if they leave it as is, I can just see plenty of comparisons to something like Skyrim in how 'janky' it feels. An idealized middle-ground that will please everyone is surely impossible to attain.

Hmm, based on the E3 impressions and videos I didn't get the sense it was considered janky to play. Has that been a common complaint of people who've played it? (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what jank is, though.)

chadboban

Someone made this that is pretty good: http://image-cdn.gamnesia.com/33976/1__large.jpg

The person that made this assumed what J and X are. There are no words in the BotW that we've seen so far that contain J, Q, or X.

There's also this one: http://zeldawiki.org/images/1/15/BotW_Hylian_Language.png

This is the one I made from screenshots:
R9xTtAt.jpg

It's possible this is Sheikah language and there could be a separate Hylian, but I don't see that happening since the ancient technology in Skyward Sword used Hylian.

Here's a list of Hylian translations from Skyward Sword: http://zeldawiki.org/Hylian_Language_Translations/Skyward_Sword

Wow, thanks so much man! Appreciate it!

Chaos17

Hmm, based on the E3 impressions and videos I didn't get the sense it was considered janky to play. Has that been a common complaint of people who've played it? (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what jank is, though.)

I don't know where he read his infos but no so far most journalists and like 4-5 feedbacks of people who tested the demo too in this thread were like this

tumblr_njrchmTpAQ1ro1c8mo1_400.gif

They even defended the graphics saying "when you play the graphics are really nice in motion".

All impressions seem glowing so far. These kinds of events are very scarce from the looks of it. And luckily, after getting off the plateau, being launched won't be a very big deal. So, if it does happen, just use your paraglider.

Anyway, Skyrim's janky feel comes from a lot of places, but being launched across the map is just icing on that cake. Even just moving around feels a bit odd, especially when trying to climb a mountain. There's nothing really natural feeling in that game.

KingBroly

Banned

The impression I got was 'this controls differently for a Zelda than I'm used to.'

Eradicate

Skyrim is that you? This games is gonna be awesome.

LOL!!! It really will be!

Yup. That's an Open Air adventure alright.

LOL!!! That's exactly what they meant by it!

Damn didn't know steppe talus could launch you like that!

I wonder how far that huge Death Mountain Creature can launch you?!

Daaamn. Can't wait to see what kind of distance one could get once this is combined with deploying the paraglider at the top of the trajectory..

I bet pretty far!

Mato

So did anyone try to sit atop a super-charged boulder and see what happens when the boulder comes out of stasis?

Rodin

Nobody ever said the game feels junky in any preview i've read. Italian journalists and youtubers got a chance to play the game again in Milan yesterday, and they're drooling about everything, including controls.

TheMoon

Now that Nintendo is putting care into the physics of the game, I would like for them to also put more care into the character's interactions with the world.

Most games, barring a few exceptions, still interact with the world as if it was a PS/N64 game. I'm used to it, but it bothers me a little to run towards a wall and see the character still doing running animation instead of putting his hands on the wall to stop himself like you would do in real life.

Or when you bump into a character, both you and the NPC react as if nothing happened. Your character should at least move his shoulders back, dodge, or use his hands to push the other person aside.

So, Assassin's Creed. That was that game's (series') bread and butter.

Those sorts of animations strike me as a luxury rather than something--like the new physics engine--that enhances the game design.

ReyVGM

Those sorts of animations strike me as a luxury rather than something--like the new physics engine--that enhances the game design.

Not necessarily. They already do some stuff like that. If you try to drop a chest on top of the old man he will react and get scared.
Link turns his head and eyes to look at enemies or targets, he shivers when it's cold, he sweats when climbing, he winces in pain when opening a chest barefoot, he also has ragdoll physics now too.

I remember Miyamoto making a big deal about how animated Link's face was during cutscenes in OoT (and Wind Walker), and made it feel more 'alive'.

So it's only a matter of taking it one step further. They are already implementing traditionally western game elements, so why not do the same for the character interaction animations?

watershed

Banned
Not necessarily. They already do some stuff like that. If you try to drop a chest on top of the old man he will react and get scared.
Link turns his head and eyes to look at enemies or targets, he shivers when it's cold, he sweats when climbing, he winces in pain when opening a chest barefoot, he also has ragdoll physics now too.

I remember Miyamoto making a big deal about how animated Link's face was during cutscenes in OoT (and Wind Walker), and made it feel more 'alive'.

So it's only a matter of taking it one step further. They are already implementing traditionally western game elements, so why not do the same for the character interaction animations?

I hope Nintendo doesn't turn any of their games into Uncharted. I think it started with Uncharted 3 where Drake couldn't run in a straight line without touching a wall, reacting to a nearby person or object or generally look like a buffoon whose physics would constantly cause him to interact with anything and everything around him. I'd rather Nintendo not put in all those "immersive" animations.

Maxrunner

I watched about 30 minutes of gameplay last night and it was good, but it really pales in comparison to games like The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn in visuals.

After the crappy killzone 3 Guerilla wont fool me with all their pretty graphics...but i guess some players just want that.

Eradicate

I hope Nintendo doesn't turn any of their games into Uncharted. I think it started with Uncharted 3 where Drake couldn't run in a straight line without touching a wall, reacting to a nearby person or object or generally look like a buffoon whose physics would constantly cause him to interact with anything and everything around him. I'd rather Nintendo not put in all those "immersive" animations.

Yeah, that's very much true. Neorealistic Zelda is a bit too much. I prefer well enough what they're doing here (similar with Wind Waker, kind of) where it's expressive/animated like. It can get to be overwrought when you're trying to focus on something but Link is pushing himself away from walls because he is running, just to trip over some little rock. Just let me play the game! That said, a tasteful head turn to look at/toward something I may have otherwise missed (like a little hint like Link's eyes in Wind Waker) is still nice!

I think the interactions with other characters/enemies so far has seemed good with plenty of reactions and responses to what you're doing and their environment. But, with Uncharted and some games where it's almost like pseudo playing a movie, graphics and more realism have a place...in that type of game!

After the crappy killzone 3 Guerilla wont fool me with all their pretty graphics...but i guess some players just want that.

See!

I guess nothing wrong with it. I think this game looks beautiful though, like what my imaginations playing Zelda 1 were like in my head!

ReyVGM

Nintendo always finds a way to do things in a way that feels like it belongs in their world.

If I would have told you months ago that this Zelda was going to have hunting and cooking and that you didn't use hearts to refill your energy anymore you would have said the exact same thing (but would have used Skyrim/Witcher instead) , but look how natural it feels in this game.

Yeah, that's very much true. Neorealistic Zelda is a bit too much. I prefer well enough what they're doing here (similar with Wind Waker, kind of) where it's expressive/animated like. It can get to be overwrought when you're trying to focus on something but Link is pushing himself away from walls because he is running, just to trip over some little rock. Just let me play the game! That said, a tasteful head turn to look at/toward something I may have otherwise missed (like a little hint like Link's eyes in Wind Waker) is still nice!

I think the interactions with other characters/enemies so far has seemed good with plenty of reactions and responses to what you're doing and their environment. But, with Uncharted and some games where it's almost like pseudo playing a movie, graphics and more realism have a place...in that type of game!

There's a significant difference in the way Zelda does contextual animations vs. Uncharted and the like, no matter how flavorful or contextual the animations in Zelda are they barely ever stop the base movement from feeling like you're controlling a Videogame Character that responds to player input above all else. Link always moves consistently and animation priority only really affects movement when you're trying to turn around 180 degrees while running or something.

ReyVGM

At the very least Link should extend his arms when pushing logs like he used to do in previous games. Right now it looks as if he's pushing a piece of foam. Doesn't feel like it has any weight.

Hope that gets improved for release.

balgajo

My main complaint for now is the falling animation and how physics are exaggerated.

The falling animation we can see in the video that show us outside plateu gameplay where Link turn off the paraglider and start to fall. The model mantains is almost static until Link actives the paraglider again(and this time the animation is cool).

About being exaggerated: https://youtu.be/W8KOWuP9I7o?t=100
I saw this after Link throws weapons or after shooting arrows on them. It really bothers me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's 2016, not 2011, animation tech in games has long surpassed UC3 so that's an odd game to bring up as an example and also odd to put immersive in quotes when contextual animations are absolutely part of making a game more immersive especially in large open world games. Hands down one of the most believable looking moments in any Zelda game ever was Link running up stairs in SS.

The quote above shows that Miyamoto understands this as well and animation is a big focus in this title so it'd be great to get more contextual animations than typical Zelda especially when they've already improved a lot in that regard.

RagnarokX

It's 2016, not 2011, animation tech in games has long surpassed UC3 so that's an odd game to bring up as an example and also odd to put immersive in quotes when contextual animations are absolutely part of making a game more immersive especially in large open world games. Hands down one of the most believable looking moments in any Zelda game ever was Link running up stairs in SS.

The quote above shows that Miyamoto understands this as well and animation is a big focus in this title so it'd be great to get more contextual animations than typical Zelda especially when they've already improved a lot in that regard.
They've always cared about this. For example:

RtM7QKG.png

With each game they've always increased how responsive Link is to the world around him.

They've always cared about this. For example:

RtM7QKG.png

With each game they've always increased how responsive Link is to the world around him.

Little things like this and the marked improvement in the run animation from Twilight Princess to Skyward Sword are why I always look forward to seeing how Link animates in every new 3D game. Not the most exciting thing, perhaps, but I like seeing how they improve on it every time.

D_prOdigy

All impressions seem glowing so far. These kinds of events are very scarce from the looks of it. And luckily, after getting off the plateau, being launched won't be a very big deal. So, if it does happen, just use your paraglider.

Anyway, Skyrim's janky feel comes from a lot of places, but being launched across the map is just icing on that cake. Even just moving around feels a bit odd, especially when trying to climb a mountain. There's nothing really natural feeling in that game.

All E3 impressions I've read have been nothing but glowing too; I was just randomly crystal-balling and guessing that if there's gonna be one significant thing that critics pick up on, I'm presuming it might be the unrestrained physics.

Like, if there's a really rewarding shrine or chest located in a really tough spot on a mountain that you're supposed to take an arduous route towards, it might take the glean off it if I know I can just glitch-catapult myself there.

uhhh did you watch any of the footage? The NPC's literally have 3 keyframes of animation when talking to Link. And they most definitely do not interact.

I mean I think the game looks incredible but of that's what you want or expect this game won't give it to you.

I still think this is centuries after Wind Waker, and set 100 years after a significant event we know almost nothing about.

Not even counting the koroks or the ancient rock salt:

- land is possibly eroded away from the Great Sea (except of course Hyrule which was protected for longer against erosion)
- manmade plateau reinforcements don't look the same as the Skyward Sword variety... could just be reinforcements to keep the ancient Hyrule land safe (for a time) from predators and further erosion
- rusted sword (possibly moved to a glen to recover, or just a flashback scene)
- blue outfit very similar to TWW (ocean colors?)
- old man really looks like (a descendent of?) the King of Red Lions (who could have easily survived the final Hyrule flooding in boat form)
- guardians are octopus-like, perhaps designed during the Great Flood (or afterwards to ensure Ganon's body wasn't approached...)
- for what it's worth, Link had sideburns in TWW too.

I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory but it's worth noting that the ancient screws or springs left by defeated mini guardians mention that they're made to be buoyant. That could just be a hint that we'll be pursued by guardians while sailing on the ocean in the east though.

ReyVGM

Did you even read my post or were you answering someone else?

uhhh did you watch any of the footage?

Yes, tons of times.

The NPC's literally have 3 keyframes of animation when talking to Link.

I never said the opposite?

And they most definitely do not interact.

If you try to drop a boulder or chest on top of the old man, he gets surprised and scared.

I mean I think the game looks incredible

Me too.

but of that's what you want or expect this game won't give it to you.

I said I WOULD LIKE for that to improve, I didn't say I am expecting it.

What are the impressions on the difficulty of the game?
Even though I always enjoy Zelda adventures, I always feel they are a bit too easy and lack some sort of challenge (except Zelda 1 and 2 on the NES).

TheMoon

Even though I always enjoy Zelda adventures, I always feel they are a bit too easy and lack some sort of challenge (except Zelda 1 and 2 on the NES).

People dying left and right in tutorial area. It's part of the "go anywhere, try your luck with x" design.

All E3 impressions I've read have been nothing but glowing too; I was just randomly crystal-balling and guessing that if there's gonna be one significant thing that critics pick up on, I'm presuming it might be the unrestrained physics.

Like, if there's a really rewarding shrine or chest located in a really tough spot on a mountain that you're supposed to take an arduous route towards, it might take the glean off it if I know I can just glitch-catapult myself there.

Glitch Catapult? That's literally an intended mechanic. Hell most fun in open world games is to get to places you're not supposed to by exploiting physic loopholes or faulty barriers.

This Zelda just embraces that and the only correct path is the one that players come up with. It's one of the few times I've seen an open world actually be more than just space in between mission areas outside maybe of the GTA games (to an extent, the PS2 games were better at that, favouring sandbox approach over overly scripted scenes.)

To me this game seemed more like the first true sequel to Mario 64. A playground where you are free to do shit your way. Speedruns for this game are going to be something else.

BowieZ

Banned
People dying left and right in tutorial area. It's part of the "go anywhere, try your luck with x" design.
Yeah and it's awesome that the player has that freedom to make the mistake of overextending themselves. Players generally deserve their deaths and should easily learn to avoid dangerous situations if they choose.

Chaos17

I can already imagine people ranting about this like they did in XCX, lol
They disliked that an elite come and bash their head calling it "bad game design"

TheMoon

I can already imagine people ranting about this like they did in XCX, lol
They disliked that an elite come and bash their head calling it "bad game design"

Oh god yea that BS lol.

You'll have people loving and hating this game for the same reasons. There's no such thing as a unified opinion anymore which is why I laugh at the people thinking this will get OoT-like reception :D

BY2K

Membero Americo

Bill did say that if you go to certain areas too soon or unprepared, you WILL get your ass kicked.

BowieZ

Banned
I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory but it's worth noting that the ancient screws or springs left by defeated mini guardians mention that they're made to be buoyant. That could just be a hint that we'll be pursued by guardians while sailing on the ocean in the east though.
Damn. Add it to the list :p

R00bot

Fuck, I remember seeing link run up those stairs in trailers for skyward sword and getting so hyped. I agree that it's some of the nicest animation in Zelda, I'd even go so far as to say it's some of the nicest animation in a game I've seen.

m3k

can anyone suggest a good video game podcast that goes into detail about the zelda botw gameplay? ive read over some of the points but would like to listen to something longer

i listen to podcasts but have not tried to find a good video game one, so you could name anything really

TheMoon

can anyone suggest a good video game podcast that goes into detail about the zelda botw gameplay? ive read over some of the points but would like to listen to something longer

i listen to podcasts but have not tried to find a good video game one, so you could name anything really

listen to IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat episode with Bill Trinen on it.

Top Bottom