• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Combat largely being the same as TP/WW dampens my hype a bit. 3D Zelda combat has always been a bit too simple for the kind of game that it is.

This looks amazing. I hope this is one of those games where I truly can get lost playing it. It hasn't been since WoW or Banjo-Kazooie where I've had an experience like that. As said in the OP, all these recent (past decade) open world games haven't really done it for me.

You could get weapons anywhere in that zombie island game, didn't make it any less shitty. If this comes with a guide hopefully you can find a secret weapon with a buttload of durability, I don't want to deal with this.

At some point you probably get the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield and don't have to worry about durability anymore, like in Skyward Sword.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Ck8lLnzVAAA9mzy.jpg:large

haha great job, whoever made this.

Glad to hear the no NPCs/Towns thing was inaccurate!

Have we heard about whether you can use a pro controller to play it at all? Or if we're stuck with the tea tray of doom?

Kevin Atomic

Neo Member
I really can not wait to get lost in this game. At this point I don't even care if it fails to deliver on any points I am just excited for this new way to experience Legend of Zelda.

jonjonaug

Combat largely being the same as TP/WW dampens my hype a bit. 3D Zelda combat has always been a bit too simple for the kind of game that it is.

The combat actually seems a bit evolved. The different weapons had very obviously different movesets and tradeoffs.

Unicorn

I was cautiously pessimistic about this game, but from the start of the game to what I've seen thus far has me sold day one, even on Wii U - unless NX is a godsend and launches with like 3 other games I NEED.

So, GAF, are we still hating on Miyamoto or can we love him again now?

To be fair, he was asked how involved he was in the game on the stream. He basically said he was extremely hands off; he was there for making sure the nature felt... well natural, and a few other bits.

That being said though, the small little bits that people seem to be freaking out about (the wind spreading the fire etc.) do seem like touches that would have his fingerprints all over them.

Trojan

Awesome, thanks for the recap. I wish I would be playing this, but Nintendo burned me bad enough that I won't be getting Wii-U or NX unless they really reverse course on their 3rd party support.

Either way, cool to see how much they're upgrading the new Zelda.

hetchi

Glad to hear the no NPCs/Towns thing was inaccurate!

Have we heard about whether you can use a pro controller to play it at all? Or if we're stuck with the tea tray of doom?

People and towns were taken out to prevent spoilers. It was said during the stream.

Gvitor

The guy shoots a bomb arrow on a bokoblin in a horse while he himself is horseback riding, the bokoblin is thrown off the horse, the bomb explosion sets the grass on fire, it spreads, then he jumps from the horse onto the hot air generated by that fire, propels himself higher with the sailcloth, then shoots an arrow in slow-mo in the guardian...

holy fucking shit

At some point you probably get the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield and don't have to worry about durability anymore, like in Skyward Sword.

you mean skyward sword where you could only get the hylian shield after boss rush mode? Well at least in that one you could get the second best shield in the game by regular means.

Rodin

Gameplay options are even above what i expected, and my expectations were very, VERY high. Graphics look unbelievable for Wii U level of hardware, especially considering how much this game relies on physics. You can basically interact with EVERYTHING, and this shit is taxing per se, but on top of that, they still managed to use that grass rendering, shading, hair tech for Link (and the horses), particles and global illumination with dynamic lights and shadows based on tod in a giant open world game, which is also pretty far from its release. How can they even do that. How the fuck is the NX version going to look. Jeez...

Watching that gameplay almost made me forget that we saw only a tiny fraction of the map and taht many things that will be in the final game (npc, subquests, towns, story etc) were missing from this demo. Insane, absolutely insane.

Some of the segments look really good, like a Miyazaki movie. Some of the segments look cheap. I don't know why it is.
This is still a demo of a game that is coming out in like a year. Nintendo adds a lot of polish and graphics details in the last few months of development, like many many other devs do. Maybe some parts were simply less polished due to this, or maybe some larger areas with less grass will show textures that don't look as good as that grass and partially ruin the impact. Still, all things considered, there's nothing on Wii U level of hardware that even comes close to the tech being used in this game. It's astounding.

Yup. You probably get the hero's tunic too, which must have better stats than the others. Wonder if goron and zora's tunic will still be in, with similar stats and protection from heat/cold.

I also saw a couple of posts in one of the threads about how it was stated that much of the towns, dungeons, voice acting and other story elements were locked off for E3

Wouldn't be surprised if the released version of the Plateu is a lot more lively in terms of NPCs and stuff [even though I don't think what we saw was "barren"]

ASIS

fuck him he ruined paper mario

But.. But he gave us Tony Hawk's The Elder Dogma Shadow of Metal Souls Downhill Jam of The Cooking Xenomama Chronicles Solid 2 Turbo HD Remix & Knuckles!

surely he's forgiven at this point no?

To be fair, he was asked how involved he was in the game on the stream. He basically said he was extremely hands off; he was there for making sure the nature felt... well natural, and a few other bits.

That being said though, the small little bits that people seem to be freaking out about (the wind spreading the fire etc.) do seem like touches that would have his fingerprints all over them.

To be fair he's blamed for ruining Paper Mario because he proposed a mere suggestion. He wasn't in anyway involved in that one. At the very least with breath of the wild you can clearly see his influence. If anything he should be thanked for giving the team so much freedom in what they create but he was still on top to ensure the Nintendo polish.

That, to me, is damn fine leadership and he should be commended for it.

The only thing that worries me is if most of the mechanics are meaningless/you only use once/extremely situational.

Sometimes the issues with games that promise multiple ways of doing things end up being pointless when the most straightforward path is still the most effective. For instance, why stealthily sneak into a goblin camp if it's faster and easier to run up to them and stab them in the face? Or maybe the fire spreading through wind thing is only useful in a very small amount of scenarios. Another one are the "alternative ways to stay warm", some being eating hot food or having a torch. If I already have a warm tunic, why would I do the other ways?

Chaos17

The guy shoots a bomb arrow on a bokoblin in a horse while he himself is horseback riding, the bokoblin is thrown off the horse, the bomb explosion sets the grass on fire, it spreads, then he jumps from the horse onto the hot air generated by that fire, propels himself higher with the sailcloth, then shoots an arrow in slow-mo in the guardian...

holy fucking shit

Myamoto did said they had to ask one of their best player/dev to make that footage because it's not easy at all, lol

The only thing that worries me is if most of the mechanics are meaningless/you only use once/extremely situational.

Sometimes the issues with games that promise multiple ways of doing things end up being pointless when the most straightforward path is still the most effective. For instance, why stealthily sneak into a goblin camp if it's faster and easier to run up to them and stab them in the face? Or maybe the fire spreading through wind thing is only useful in a very small amount of scenarios. Another one are the "alternative ways to stay warm", some being eating hot food or having a torch. If I already have a warm tunic, why would I do the other ways?

Convenience? Better armor? Not having the warm tunic yet?

Exentryk

Some things will probably get tedious:
- Weapon degradation
- Needing arrows

Should add an unlimited version of basic arrows or something.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nintendo just absolutely rocked it with this game. Everything looks so good. Even shit I don't like such as weapon durability actually seems OK with how prevalent drops are. The interactivity and reactivity are so refreshing.

dkeane

Watched most of it. So fucking good.
Love all the details people are finding and this is only a tiny part of the game!

Top Bottom