• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen4´s official unveiling is today

winjer

Gold Member

AMD Ryzen 5000
AMD Ryzen 7000
Cores / ThreadsBase/Boost ClockTDPCache (L2+L3)Launch Price(USD)
Alledged AMD Ryzen 7000 Specifications
Ryzen 9 7950X16C/32T4.5/5.7 GHz170W80MB (16+64)799 USD
Ryzen 9 7900X12C/24T4.7/5.6 GHz170W76MB (12+64)549 USD
Ryzen 7 7700X8C/16T4.5/5.4 GHz105W40MB (8+32)449 USD
Ryzen 5 7600X6C/12T4.7/5.3 GHz105W38MB (6+32)299 USD
Ryzen 9 5950X16C/32T3.4/4.9 GHz105W72MB (8+64)799 USD
Ryzen 9 5900X12C/24T3.7/4.8 GHz105W70MB (4+64)549 USD
Ryzen 7 5800X3D8C/16T3.4/4.5 GHz105W100MB (4+96)449 USD
Ryzen 7 5800X8C/16T3.8/4.7 GHz105W36MB (4+32)449 USD
Ryzen 7 5700X8C/16T3.4/4.6 GHz65W36MB (4+32)299 USD
Ryzen 5 5600X6C/12T3.7/4.6 GHz65W35MB (3+32)299 USD

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dwight Office Tv GIF by The Office

7950x with a future 4090

jizz in my pants GIF

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
TDP is reasonable, but will need to see benchmarks to know if it's going to to be worthy update from my 3950x. Because now it's with buying a new MOBO. Which would probably cost same as the high-end CPU....

saintjules

Heh. I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600. What would be the most sensible jump in terms of upgrading to CPU that's also reasonable in pricing?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What time to be alive. CPU hitting 6GHz and GPU about to cross 3GHz.
Is this supposed to be a joke?

In the decade from 1990-2000 CPU clock speeds increased by roughly a factor of 30 (50 MHz to 1.5 GHz).

In the 22 years since, they increased by a factor of….4.

Back in 2004 Intel showed a 4 GHz Pentium 4 and predicted the architecture would scale up to 8-10 GHz.

Sorry man, of all the things you could say “what a time to be alive!” about… clock speed is not one of them. If anything that is the most disappointing thing, by far.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
ohhh before RaptorLake.

Good for them, they can compare their new CPUs to Intels AlderLake weeks before Intels RaptorLake comes out and completely changes graphs again.

I do hope the leaked prices are false.

zxdxma8ua4

Last edited:

Xyphie

If we assume that the 6+8C 13600K launches around $300-350 I think $299 6C 7600X and $449 8C 7700X will be a hard sell to gamers. From what we've seen of leaked benchmarks Raptor Lake should be slightly ahead in ST/gaming performance but MT perf will be way ahead thanks to E-cores. But I guess there just no incentive to price anything lower when they can just sell Zen4 chiplets in the server space.

Maybe if you want AVX512 for PS3 emulation?

Now Zen4X3D on the other hand will be an absolute monster gaming CPU because this time around you'll have both ST perf and large L3 cache but it'll certainly be priced accordingly.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
New tech is always exciting. Looking forward to this.

If a raptor lake cpu will drop into my z690 maximus hero without issue and isn't as hot as shit ill grab one but I hope AMD are pushing the gaming performance with 7000 series.

Tripolygon

Banned
Sorry man, of all the things you could say “what a time to be alive!” about… clock speed is not one of them. If anything that is the most disappointing thing, by far.
You can be disappointed, and you don't need to be sorry. I'm however excited we are finally crossing that threshold. I remember piledriver was supposed to be stable at 5GHz but that wasn't the best architecture performance-wise. 5GHz is about to become the new base clock and that just amazing and exciting to me.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wait, these new zen4 chips dont have the 3D V-Cache tech.... Ehh, not cool AMD.

Id expect the entire zen4 lineup to use it.
Yup, supposedly some V-Cache versions will come later on. I’m not expecting these initial 7000 CPUs to be very compelling for gaming compared to 5800X3D

They look good. I'm honestly more looking forward to lower power threshold whilst still being able to deliver the performance. My utility bills are going to be absolutely kicking my ass in the next few months!

Black_Stride

Yup, supposedly some V-Cache versions will come later on. I’m not expecting these initial 7000 CPUs to be very compelling for gaming compared to 5800X3D
The 12900K with DDR5 can match the 5800X3D in heavily cpu dependent situations.

Zen 4 only comes with DDR5 so we can expect they will bench these chips with games that benefit from all that bandwidth.
In theory even the 7700X will be able to match the 5800X3D.

Zen4X3D will be an absolute gaming monster.

1080p-Very-High-p.webp

I wonder what they'll have in the laptop GPU space.
This year (6000 ryzen series) was Zen 3+ with RDNA2 GPU's, last year (5000 ryzen series) had Zen 2 and 3 (depending on the model) with GCN5 GPU's.

I think they'll have zen4 with the same RDNA2 GPU's, no improvement on GPU.

winjer

Gold Member
This year (6000 ryzen series) was Zen 3+ with RDNA2 GPU's, last year (5000 ryzen series) had Zen 2 and 3 (depending on the model) with GCN5 GPU's.

I think they'll have zen4 with the same RDNA2 GPU's, no improvement on GPU.

No. AMD's roadmap is still set for releasing RDNA3 this year.
In fact, there is a good chance we'll also see it during today's presentation.

GPU_Roadmap_Master_678x452.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The 12900K with DDR5 can match the 5800X3D in heavily cpu dependent situations.

Zen 4 only comes with DDR5 so we can expect they will bench these chips with games that benefit from all that bandwidth.
In theory even the 7700X will be able to match the 5800X3D.

Zen4X3D will be an absolute gaming monster.

1080p-Very-High-p.webp
Are there many games that are really bandwidth limited? I thought latency was generally way more important for gaming.

12900k w/ DDR5 6000 MHz CL36 is a whopping 0.9% faster than DDR4 3600 MHz CL16, on average at 1080p.

No. AMD's roadmap is still set for releasing RDNA3 this year.
In fact, there is a good chance we'll also see it during today's presentation.

GPU_Roadmap_Master_678x452.png
Hey Winjer, I meant integrated on the Zen4 CPU's that have a embedded GPU.

If 7000 mobile and desktop ship with RDNA3 it that might be an insane year to purchase. The only thorn on AMD side is lack of DDR4 support for "poor people".

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If we assume that the 6+8C 13600K launches around $300-350 I think $299 6C 7600X and $449 8C 7700X will be a hard sell to gamers.
I don't think many people are expecting Raptor Lake to not bring a substantial price increase across the board, considering the fact that they announced price increases of up to 20% during July's earnings conference.

I don't think many people are expecting Raptor Lake to not bring a substantial price increase across the board, considering the fact that they announced price increases of up to 20% during July's earnings conference.
Intel is sensitive to competition, I think that'll curb their price hikes a little when it comes to entry point and mid-range.

But not on flagships.
Are there many games that are really bandwidth limited? I thought latency was generally way more important for gaming.

12900k w/ DDR5 6000 MHz CL36 is a whopping 0.9% faster than DDR4 3600 MHz CL16, on average at 1080p.
Not usually limited, but we're seeing a trend where it's starting to happen.

When DDR5 becomes readily available it's likely that more games make use of that extra bandwidth and suffer without it.
finally time to replace my ancient 7700K
please replace it with an 7700X :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just going to sit back with my 3600 and watch how things unfold.

Either I’ll give my AM4 one last hurrah with the 5800X3D, or I’ll go all in on AM5.

GreatnessRD

My body, mind and soul is ready. Inject the tech into my veins, bruh. Hoping Su bae got some heat to show. Then hoping Project Pat got some heat coming from the Intel Show late September.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Intel is sensitive to competition, I think that'll curb their price hikes a little when it comes to entry point and mid-range.

But not on flagships.
Maybe that's true for the high-margin flagships, but I quoted a post that mentioned the i5 13600K which isn't a flagship.

Just going to sit back with my 3600 and watch how things unfold.

Either I’ll give my AM4 one last hurrah with the 5800X3D, or I’ll go all in on AM5.
Or if there's a 5950X3D you could have next-gen performance without having to buy+build another motherboard and RAM setup.

Black_Stride

Right now there are few games that actually need that high bandwidth.
But as Spiderman showed it clearly will become advantageous to have DDR5 in time.
Likely why AMD decided to just lock in for DDR5, im assuming they are planning on having AM5 socket last a while.

I legit didnt expect to see even a single mainstream game that performed substantially better with DDR5 before MeteorLake

Im almost glad that it happened so soon.......only slightly sad cuz I banked on DDR4 for AlderLake and RaptorLake.
Im doing a motherboard swap for ArrowLake anyway so I guess ill just have stomach the DDR4 bottleneck till then.

Filben

Any viable upgrade options to consider coming from a Ryzen 3600 that seems to hit its limit in some games like Cyberpunk? Shouldn't be too fancy though since most games are GPU bound and I mostly play at 60fps.

Black_Stride

Any viable upgrade options to consider coming from a Ryzen 3600 that seems to hit its limit in some games like Cyberpunk? Shouldn't be too fancy though since most games are GPU bound and I mostly play at 60fps.
Literally every chip AMD has released since.

Ryzen 5600X a massive gain.
Ryzen 5800X3D if all you do is game its properly generational.
^The above chips use DDR4 and will slot into your current Motherboard.

Ryzen 7700X will require a new motherboard, but will likely last you the entirety of the generation easy work.

And if AMD commit to AM5 a 7600 or 7700X will be a good investment cuz youll be able to keep the motherboard and plop in new CPUs for however long AM5 lasts, youll already be on DDR5.

I plan to ride things out on AM4 and that's why I bought my 5800X3D which I plan to use for the next few years. AM5 is a new socket they requires expensive new DDR5 on a new expensive motherboard so I won't be in a hurry to upgrade for awhile.

Leonidas

If they launch 6 Cores and 8 Cores at $299/$449 like last time then that is too high.

Intel will likely have 6+8 and 8+8 Core CPUs at a similar price to that a month later.

But as Spiderman showed it clearly will become advantageous to have DDR5 in time.
DDR5 or cache. People forget 5800X3D also performs much better than vanilla 5800X in that graph.

Upcoming Intel chips are bumping the cache massively as well, and that is either bound to increase the difference yet again (if it'still a bottleneck) or offset the DDR5 advantage a little. We'll see when Raptor Lake launches and people test it with DDR4.

As the screenshot will confirm, Each Raptor Cove P performance core has 2 MB of dedicated L2 cache, up from 1.25 MB on Alder Lake-S Gracemont has 16 E-cores in 4 clusters, while "Alder Lake-S" has 8 in 2 clusters. Each cluster's four cores share L2 cache. Intel quadrupled "Alder Lake" L2 cache from 2 MB to 4 MB. The chip's shared L3 cache is now 36 MB. Eight 2 MB P-cores and four 4 MB E-core clusters total 32 MB L2 cache. L2+L3 cache is 68 MB.
Source: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/i...onfirmed-through-leaked-cpu-z-screenshot.html

Likely why AMD decided to just lock in for DDR5, im assuming they are planning on having AM5 socket last a while.
They didn't decide to lock it for that, they thought DDR5 would replace DDR4 in the way DDR4 replaced DDR3 without any meaningful price difference and then it was just too late.

Processors or northbridges/chipset (I don't know which controls the RAM supported by the system) don't have the registers for DDR4 and they'll have to launch as is. I have no doubt they would support DDR4 if they could.
If they launch 6 Cores and 8 Cores at $299/$449 like last time then that is too high.

Intel will likely have 6+8 and 8+8 Core CPUs at a similar price to that a month later.
Yes and no.

Not all cores are made equal, intel e-cores are designed so a 8-core cluster performs as well as a Skylake 6600K (a quad core design). It's useful to offload background tasks and increase energy efficiency if the computer is idling and it's still performant enough that it helps total performance, but... One should see it as free performance while their heavy hitters are still the conventional p-cores.

I'm sure AMD will compete with intel 6-core chips plus the helper Atoms with similarly priced 8-core designs. And these extra cores will be advantageous for at least some tasks, like the ones that require the AVX512 that intel nuked due to the atoms not supporting.

I also hope AMD makes 10 and 12 core CPU's at some point, perhaps with faulty CCX chiplets.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Right now there are few games that actually need that high bandwidth.

I legit didnt expect to see even a single mainstream game that performed substantially better with DDR5 before MeteorLake

Im almost glad that it happened so soon.......only slightly sad cuz I banked on DDR4 for AlderLake and RaptorLake.
Im doing a motherboard swap for ArrowLake anyway so I guess ill just have stomach the DDR4 bottleneck till then.
I’m skeptical. I think the switch to DDR5 is primarily because it’s the new standard, and secondarily because the bandwidth is useful for non-gaming applications. I don’t think gaming-related bandwidth demand is driving this at all. (In other words, just like how it went with the past few DDR standards)

Also skeptical about the “if you build it, they will come” idea. I can’t remember a time in the last ~15 years when main memory bandwidth really mattered for gaming. (Remember when Intel ditched triple-channel memory in favor of dual channel with Sandy Bridge back in 2011?) I’m not expecting devs to be like “wow we finally have all this bandwidth, now there’s all these new things we can do!!”

Anyway we’ll see! I too am somewhat surprised to see Spider-Man get that much of a boost.

Drew1440

Is this supposed to be a joke?

In the decade from 1990-2000 CPU clock speeds increased by roughly a factor of 30 (50 MHz to 1.5 GHz).

In the 22 years since, they increased by a factor of….4.

Back in 2004 Intel showed a 4 GHz Pentium 4 and predicted the architecture would scale up to 8-10 GHz.

We will probably have the same clock speeds for the next 20 years, until we move away from silicon onto granphene.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I want to see next gen PC games and then decide on the HW. All this tech to run a port of a ps4 game that ran on Atom like cores seems like a waste. Can't believe I am still fine with an FX 6300...

By 2014 you knew that something like an FX 8320 - 7950 and 8 GB of ram would be a decent gaming PC that would last you the whole generation running next gen games.

I don't think we know that for 9th gen games yet. Next gen only AAA games are few and far between. I'll wait until Starfield and Forza 8 are released to build a new rig from scratch.

Processors could be designed with high frequencies in mind, like the Pentium 4 was, it's just that like the Pentium 4, more MHz don't amount to better performance against more compact designs due to the concessions you have to do to get there.
We will probably have the same clock speeds for the next 20 years, until we move away from silicon onto granphene.
Fine with me, keep the IPC improvements coming and give me more cores.

This said, I wouldn't be surprised to see enthusiast chips starting to use liquid metal beneath their shims and gaining a few MHz there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom