• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen4´s official unveiling is today

[/URL]

Alledged AMD Ryzen 7000 Specifications
Cores / ThreadsBase/Boost ClockTDPCache (L2+L3)Launch Price(USD)
AMD Ryzen 7000
AMD Ryzen 5000
Ryzen 9 7950X16C/32T4.5/5.7 GHz170W80MB (16+64)799 USD
Ryzen 9 7900X12C/24T4.7/5.6 GHz170W76MB (12+64)549 USD
Ryzen 7 7700X8C/16T4.5/5.4 GHz105W40MB (8+32)449 USD
Ryzen 5 7600X6C/12T4.7/5.3 GHz105W38MB (6+32)299 USD
Ryzen 9 5950X16C/32T3.4/4.9 GHz105W72MB (8+64)799 USD
Ryzen 9 5900X12C/24T3.7/4.8 GHz105W70MB (4+64)549 USD
Ryzen 7 5800X3D8C/16T3.4/4.5 GHz105W100MB (4+96)449 USD
Ryzen 7 5800X8C/16T3.8/4.7 GHz105W36MB (4+32)449 USD
Ryzen 7 5700X8C/16T3.4/4.6 GHz65W36MB (4+32)299 USD
Ryzen 5 5600X6C/12T3.7/4.6 GHz65W35MB (3+32)299 USD

Is this where the 7900 xt gets revealed

winjer

Gold Member
Upcoming Intel chips are bumping the cache massively as well, and that is either bound to increase the difference yet again (if it'still a bottleneck) or offset the DDR5 advantage a little. We'll see when Raptor Lake launches and people test it with DDR4.

It's not that big of a cache increase. L3 remains the same, per core.
L2 for each P-cores increases from 1.25MB to 2MB. And for each cluster of 4 E-cores, it increases from 2MB to 4MB.
Since the 13900K has more e-cores than a 12900K, it gives the impression that the increase is bigger than what it really is.
On the other hand, the 5800X3d has 96MB of L3 cache alone. Intel does have the advantage of having much bigger L2 caches, since Zen3 only has 512KB per core.

Hugare

What time to be alive. CPU hitting 6GHz and GPU about to cross 3GHz.
I’m skeptical. I think the switch to DDR5 is primarily because it’s the new standard, and secondarily because the bandwidth is useful for non-gaming applications. I don’t think gaming-related bandwidth demand is driving this at all. (In other words, just like how it went with the past few DDR standards)

Also skeptical about the “if you build it, they will come” idea. I can’t remember a time in the last ~15 years when main memory bandwidth really mattered for gaming. (Remember when Intel ditched triple-channel memory in favor of dual channel with Sandy Bridge back in 2011?) I’m not expecting devs to be like “wow we finally have all this bandwidth, now there’s all these new things we can do!!”

Anyway we’ll see! I too am somewhat surprised to see Spider-Man get that much of a boost.

We finally getting dat 60 FPS Crysis experience, boys

Loxus

No. AMD's roadmap is still set for releasing RDNA3 this year.
In fact, there is a good chance we'll also see it during today's presentation.

GPU_Roadmap_Master_678x452.png
I hope your right.
All these RDNA 3 rumors have me can't wait to see it's performance.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm in the market for a new cpu, still using a 9700k but noticing small issues paired with my rtx 3090. Interested to see the comparisons between this and Intel's next offerings.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is this where the 7900 xt gets revealed

AMD to Host Livestream Event to Unveil Next Generation Ryzen Processors​

I highly doubt any of the RDNA3 chips will be shown, but im in for surprises so who knows.

He already said he has other benchmarks which he can't post yet and this is not one of the best.

So supposedly it's even closer to the 13900k. Interesting times ahead.
If the 7950X is ~800 dollars not even interested unless it absolutely washes a 13900K.
*he said not knowing Intel plans to release the 12900K at ~800 dollars too.

Loxus

A nice read up about Zen 4.

AMD calls its Zen 4 CPU core design an “incremental update“ over Zen 3. This shows with the same CPUID Family 19h for products using either core generation. The next major revision arrives in 2024 with Zen 5 (Family 1Ah).

fermcr

Looking for a 300€ CPU. Ryzen 5 7600X looks interesting.
Simply waiting for Intel's new CPU's (as long it doesn't take too long) and compare...

Black_Stride

Looking for a 300€ CPU. Ryzen 5 7600X looks interesting.
Simply waiting for Intel's new CPU's (as long it doesn't take too long) and compare...
If you are looking for budget 6 cores.
A 12400 will match a 5600X more often than not and costs 150 dollars.
The 13400 is basically a rebranded and refreshed 12600K so you can jump on that, itll likely be 200 dollars at launch.
A 13600K will obviously outperform the 12600K but launch price might not justify the increments you are getting when in gaming the 12400F and 12600K perform the same.

And you wont need to spend money on an expensive MB and DDR5.

dave_d

Literally every chip AMD has released since.

Ryzen 5600X a massive gain.
Ryzen 5800X3D if all you do is game its properly generational.
^The above chips use DDR4 and will slot into your current Motherboard.

Ryzen 7700X will require a new motherboard, but will likely last you the entirety of the generation easy work.

And if AMD commit to AM5 a 7600 or 7700X will be a good investment cuz youll be able to keep the motherboard and plop in new CPUs for however long AM5 lasts, youll already be on DDR5.
I just wonder if I were to upgrade from a 3800xt to say a 5800x3d who the hell would want to buy the old cpu? I mean I guess I could try putting it up on ebay but at this point I figured nobody would want it even if I listed it at $150. Anybody have recent experience selling Ryzen 3000 on ebay?

DaGwaphics

Great news that they didn't push upwards on the pricing from the last launch.

Will be interesting to see where the 7600X/7700X land in third-party benchmarks.

Last edited:

Loxus

If your buying these processors, your most likely buy a dedicated GPU. I wonder if the integrated GPU is used in a similar manner to the E-Cores from Intel or maybe they help with AI acceleration?

Black_Stride

I just wonder if I were to upgrade from a 3800xt to say a 5800x3d who the hell would want to buy the old cpu? I mean I guess I could try putting it up on ebay but at this point I figured nobody would want it even if I listed it at $150. Anybody have recent experience selling Ryzen 3000 on ebay?
You do know a brand new 12400F is $150 dollars.....and it will run laps or keep with most Ryzen chips right up to and including 5600Xs.
List it for whatever you think is fair, but just keep in mind there are chips that are far far stronger going for that amount brand new, so your listing may never be sold.
Dont you have a secondary PC or media center PC that you can use it in?

If your buying these processors, your most likely buy a dedicated GPU. I wonder if the integrated GPU is used in a similar manner to the E-Cores from Intel or maybe they help with AI acceleration?

No.
Its there because people have been asking for iGPUs from AMD for a long time, and they have space on the I/O die, so might as well.
Its an iGPU just like Intels iGPUs, in a gaming rig it will do basically nothing (Intels iGPUs help with video encode/decode, I dunno if this iGPU can do the same), otherwise they do nothing when paired with a dGPU.
If you ever decide to sell your dGPU atleast you will still be able to use your PC while you wait for the new dGPU to arrive in the mail, with prior Ryzen CPUs if the dGPU was taken out or borked that was that, you had to get another GPU for testing cuz there was no iGPU.

winjer

Gold Member
Intel and AMD figures are out in cinebench already:

-> https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-list/cinebench-scores

Intel still retains the lead in single thread performance.
Something tells me that Zen4 retains the 5-wide pipeline, versus Alder Lake´s 6-wide pipeline.
Now we have to wait to see what Raptor lake is capable of.

---------------------

BTW, here is the list of changes from Zen3 to Zen4.
  • AVX-512 instructions support
  • L1 and L2 DTLB size increased from 64 to 72 and 2,048 to 3,072 entries
  • L2 cache doubled from 512 KiB to 1 MiB per core
  • Improved cache load, write and prefetch from/to register (less latency).
  • Higher Transistor Density, due to 5nm process
  • Capable of higher all-core clockspeeds (shown by AMD to reach 5GHz+ on all cores)
  • An igpu in every processor
  • PCIe Gen 5.0
  • DDR5

Last edited:
Intel still retains the lead in single thread performance.
Yes, specially considering the base clocks and even the turbo clocks are always lower on intel processors.

Part of that handicap is the extra heat generated by having a 10nm node but I'm sure that if they were losing to AMD on performance per clock they would bump it aggressively. AMD meanwhile is only able to reach those clocks because of 5nm.

I got the impression back with 5800X3D that Zen4 IPC gains would be incremental and 3D cache their easiest way to increase IPC/performance until Zen5 would be increasing cache and reducing latency.

There's an igpu in every processor now? I didn't know that. integrated or chiplet?

winjer

Gold Member
Yes, specially considering the base clocks and even the turbo clocks are always lower on intel processors.

Part of that handicap is the extra heat generated by having a 10nm node but I'm sure that if they were losing to AMD on performance per clock they would bump it aggressively. AMD meanwhile is only able to reach those clocks because of 5nm.

I got the impression back with 5800X3D that Zen4 IPC gains would be incremental and 3D cache their easiest way to increase IPC/performance until Zen5 would be increasing cache and reducing latency.

There's an igpu in every processor now? I didn't know that. integrated or chiplet?

Intel is pushing clocks even further with Raptor Lake. So they will regain the performance in most programs and applications. But power consumption is going through the roof.

Cache is great in many games, but almost useless in 3d renderers.
Maybe AMD can release a 7800x3D in time for raptor lake.

Btw, the igp is RDNA2.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These look great but I think I'm gonna drop a 13900k in my mobo. Does anyone know if it should perform at its best in a Z690 maximus hero board.

Deffo going to advise my friend who's on a 3950X to get the 7950x.

winjer

Gold Member

AMD 5nm CPUs Including Ryzen 7000 Will Not Have Any Supply Issues At Launch, Enough CPUs For Everyone!​

"It is true that if you look at the past 18 months there have been a number of things, whether its capacity limitations or logistics," says Dr. Su. "From an AMD standpoint, we have dramatically increased our overall capacity, in terms of wafers, as well as substrates and on the back end. So with our launch of Zen 4 we don't expect any supply constraints.

"Logistically it takes a little bit longer for things to get into region. So we're having this event at the end of August and we're on sale on September 27. One of the reasons for that time, frankly, is to make sure that we do have product in region so that people can really look at buying across the board."

AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su

Last edited:

YCoCg

BTW, here is the list of changes from Zen3 to Zen4.
  • AVX-512 instructions support
  • L1 and L2 DTLB size increased from 64 to 72 and 2,048 to 3,072 entries
  • L2 cache doubled from 512 KiB to 1 MiB per core
  • Improved cache load, write and prefetch from/to register (less latency).
RPCS3 is going to be a blast under this.

FireFly

No way AMD havent caught Alderlake in single thread.
Those have to be wrong.
It looks like the 7950X result is about 3% slower than expected. We would expect a ~26% increase over the 5950X with AMD's listed 9% IPC improvement in Cinebench and 16% higher clocks. But perhaps the boosting behaviour of Zen 4 is different or it is an engineering sample with slower clocks.

Intel is pushing clocks even further with Raptor Lake. So they will regain the performance in most programs and applications. But power consumption is going through the roof.
Yes, I meant even higher than what they are doing.
No way AMD havent caught Alderlake in single thread.
Those have to be wrong.
in IPC/performance per each MHz core. Yes, I think they didn't beat Alderlake's P-Cores. But it's also likely that Intel is boosting as high as possible whenever possible so difference in actual frequency should actually be lower than the base clock story tells/seems.

Also note that cinebench doesn't usually care about stuff like extra cpu cache or anything, it's probably the only test where 5800X3D is still worse than 5800X when it comes to multicore.
Cache is great in many games, but almost useless in 3d renderers

Maybe AMD can release a 7800x3D in time for raptor lake.
Exactly.
Btw, the igp is RDNA3.
Very interesting then. And all processors have one now?

Are G/GE processors still going to be manufactured?
These look great but I think I'm gonna drop a 13900k in my mobo. Does anyone know if it should perform at its best in a Z690 maximus hero board.
If you have a Alder Lake board there's absolutely no reason to migrate to AMD.

Providing the CPU is supported there should be no caveats. Intel makes their chipsets incompatible with newer gens, for the most part because they want to, rather than it couldn't be done. Their chipsets change very little (as does the number of pins in the socket), hence why with some software changes we've seen 6th gen boards with 9th gen processors doing just fine.

If there's any limitation it'll be down to PL2, but that is unlikely as it's not a big jump (from what I've seen)
It looks like the 7950X result is about 3% slower than expected. We would expect a ~26% increase over the 5950X with AMD's listed 9% IPC improvement in Cinebench and 16% higher clocks. But perhaps the boosting behaviour of Zen 4 is different or it is an engineering sample with slower clocks.
Unlikely that the clocks are different as they're listed as well, the behaviour though, might be. Systems before launch are using pre-release firmware after all.

CPU temperature might also be at fault and cause some throttling. The architecture would still have a 9% IPC improvement per clock, but be unable to keep it for the duration of the test.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Would I be setting myself up for disappointment by hoping the PS5 Pro will have a Zen 4?

Probably.
When Sony and MS decided to do the Pro consoles for the precious gen, they continued to use Jaguar cores, just a minor clock bump. At a time when AMD already had more advanced APU cores available.
This was mostly done to guaranty compatibility the base consoles.
So a PS5 Pro will probably still use Zen2, maybe with a clock increase.

Buggy Loop

I’m on a 5600X right now, but it’s for these reasons that I’m really curious to see Intel’s 5nm which is said to be more dense than TSMC’s

It’s unbelievable they kept their head above water with their 14nm+++++++++++++ node, they have some amazing engineers to stay afloat with their foundry problems.

Top Bottom