• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ Delayed Another Year, Could Have Changed The Industry

TVexperto

even almost 2 years later, the game is still nowhere close to what was promised. the shitty open world with no real life and clone NPCs that spawn when you turn around too fast and the lack of soul in the open world hurt this game. the missions are pretty good i give them that but other than that this could have been a linear shooter for all i care

supernova8

Banned
even almost 2 years later, the game is still nowhere close to what was promised. the shitty open world with no real life and clone NPCs that spawn when you turn around too fast and the lack of soul in the open world hurt this game. the missions are pretty good i give them that but other than that this could have been a linear shooter for all i care

Yep I prefer them to not even pretend with the whole "the city is really alive!" shtick. It absolutely isn't. It just looks like flocks of NPCs walking around at random to give the illusion of "stuff". Also known as "filler".

Last edited:

Doom85

mIi1rQe.gif

Amory

Yeah…I don’t think so.

Game was actually pretty fun if you played it on PC (or hell, even Stadia) but even if the launch had been flawless and it was fully baked, it wouldn’t have been anything amazing.

SJRB

Gold Member
It boggles the mind, the squandered potential and the poor management on display. I could write a 50-page essay on how amazing this game is in theory and in many ways in reality, and how catastrophically poor it was mismanaged.

And for what? CDPR's reputation went from all-time fan favorite, loved by all, to a laughing stock of epic proportions.

The game is an overwhelming visual accomplishment with a city design that is so filled to the brim with details wherever you go, that you can't not just be in awe at the herculean task performed by CDPR's visual and world designers. A pinnacle of videogaming as a medium that should've been added to the all-time hall of fame but was pissed away by a small group of idiot managers who were way, WAY out of their depth and borderline destroyed an otherwise incredible IP.

Dumb fucks.

op22

Hackers got a hold of the source code. If pirate sites were able to release a beta version of Cyberpunk, all preorders would have been cancelled and CDPR would be bankrupt now.

Mr Moose

It became the first AAA game to be removed from PSN for being a buggy piece of shit.
It's still buggy now, just less so. AI is still shit.
Had some t-posing, floating NPCs the last time I played it, good times.

Belthazar

Nah, not really. Even if it was polished to perfection it would still be just a good game, nothing revolutionary.

But the fun part is: it did change the industry by releasing in that state and we can see it in how developers and publishers are more confident to delay their games to avoid being in a similar position.

iQuasarLV

Nah, not really. Even if it was polished to perfection it would still be just a good game, nothing revolutionary.

But the fun part is: it did change the industry by releasing in that state and we can see it in how developers and publishers are more confident to delay their games to avoid being in a similar position.
If they were confident they would not be throwing out bullshit excuses like 'Covid is still affecting our ability to release a game' almost two years after the fact. That line is going to get old the longer they cling to it.

Hugare

Played more than 140 hours of it since launch. Finished the game on base PS4, PS4 Pro, PC with RT and played some of it on PS5

And the headline is incorrect. The game is less buggy today, but still feels incomplete.

Nothing to do on the open world, traffic is inconsistent af with lots of cars on some streets and not at all in other places, same with NPCs ...

Besides looking pretty, the game havent revolutionized shit. If anything, it misses basic features that tons of other open world games got right.

Saiyan-Rox

Honestly I think their reputation is never going to be fixed and that's the main issue.

They showed videos of gameplay that wasn't even a thing

They lied about how well it was on last gen

They lied how their QA didn't see any of the issues before launch

skneogaf

They definitely should have waited as I run it on my 3090ti at psycho settings and it's by far the best looking game on my 83"oled plus it has dolby atmos too so it sounds incredible!

I still find myself looking around the city in disbelief at how good it can look!

Games will always sell if they're amazing no matter how delayed they are but an unfinished game leaves an awful taste.

I waited for 9 months till I played it after I bought it.

Fbh

Another year wouldn't have made this game work any better on Ps4/Xb1.
The problem, IMO, wasn't the lack of another delay but rather their failure at designing a game that would actually work on last gen but their insistence on releasing it on those platforms anyway.

They should have either made a scaled back game actually designed for Ps4/Xb1 and presented that version from the beginning. Or released the next gen game they were promising targeting Pc and next gen console hardware from the beginning.

Instead I get the feeling they tried to cram their "next gen vision" into the Ps4/Xb1 and spend the next 5 years being like "fuck this isn't working, but if we spend enough time on this and cut enough features it will work out....eventually....maybe"

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Nope, it still would've been a semi polished generic first person shooter that's worth 20 bucks, nothing more.

Given the timeframe, they would've done nothing new. Why? .. They werent gonna do that in the first place. It was just marketing.

Day 1 PC Player with all the bells & whistles...ran through it again on Series X for my 2nd playthrough..Until some sort of significant campaign DLC drops I have no interest in it.

Game was cool, revolutionary? Nowhere near it. Someone else up above said they missed a lot of basic things that other experienced devs would have had right and I agree with that. Just sounds like they over sold the whole premise/idea of the game and then kicked it out the door when they got tired of waiting for returns on the investment to trickle in IMO. I don't think any amount of "years" would have made it better since they seemed to be kinda 'off' during the time they spent with it.

It boggles the mind, the squandered potential and the poor management on display. I could write a 50-page essay on how amazing this game is in theory and in many ways in reality, and how catastrophically poor it was mismanaged.

And for what? CDPR's reputation went from all-time fan favorite, loved by all, to a laughing stock of epic proportions.

The game is an overwhelming visual accomplishment with a city design that is so filled to the brim with details wherever you go, that you can't not just be in awe at the herculean task performed by CDPR's visual and world designers. A pinnacle of videogaming as a medium that should've been added to the all-time hall of fame but was pissed away by a small group of idiot managers who were way, WAY out of their depth and borderline destroyed an otherwise incredible IP.

Dumb fucks.
This game reminds me of Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness back in the day. A game where you feel all its potential everywhere you go and all you keep saying to yourself is "damn, this could've been amazing" but it was brought down by poor management, a tired team that crunched for god knows how long and a laughable release date from people that have no idea what they were doing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So, is it worth playing now then? I picked up a second hand Xbox copy for peanuts, but it's just sat on my shelf.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I waited for the next gen version to play it and I'm SO glad I did. I'm playing through it right now on PS5 and though not perfect, the game is really amazing.

I'm a huge fan of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. Cyberpunk took everything that made those games great and put them in an open world while vastly improving combat. Gunplay, which was Deus Ex's weak spot in my opinion, is fantastic in Cyberpunk. The game looks great overall too, and runs at 60fps to boot.

The game should've been delayed and previous gen versions should've never have seen the light of day. CDPR would've have been way better off for it.

Last edited:

TonyK

That extra year wouldn't have solved how boring the game is. An extra year would have minimized bugs, but not addressed the over guided design, lack of real gameplay (it's almost a visual novel half the time), boring quests, bad dialogs, hateful characters, simple combat, brain stupid stealth, etc.

Paasei

Had a lot of fun with it on PC. Great world with a great vibe and that says a lot given the fact that the AI is stupid as fuck.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It really is a fucking tragedy. The game does some things really well, night city is an enviroment like no other in gaming, the writing and story are genuinley pretty great, and combat is fun. BUT, as it stands now, it serves as the biggest example of wasted potential in the industry. Though its less buggy now, that doesnt make up for the missing features, like the lack of a working police ai system, or a working train, among other things that would have made night city feel alive. This could have been an early front runner for the game of the generation if it had gotten the 2 year delay it clearly needed. I dont think cdpr will ever earn their reputation back now, especially as they bleed cash while this game flounders in bargain bins. And their next game is at the very least, half a decade away.

It's funny what gets a pass and what doesn't. I'm playing through FFVII Remake right after Cyberpunk, and the world feels absolutely puny and artificial compared with what Cyberpunk did.

It was a good RPG. The last gen releases never should have released like they did. I'm interested in a Cyberpunk 2.

Last edited:

Shifty

No. This is the residual hype talking.

It would have been on the same level as Witcher 3 - a good game, and a continuation of the CDPR success story. Business as usual.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
They did fix the NPC spawning when you turn around thing.

I think the following two statements, although they appear contradictory, are both true:

1) If Cyberpunk had another year of development it would have been a fan favorite and critical darling.
2) Even with 10 more years of work it will never shake the stink off its launch.

The fact is, negativity and hype are about the public conversation, not absolute measures of quality. Cyberpunk as it is now is a pretty great game without serious game breaking problems, maybe not revolutionary, or whatever, but it's enough that people who were hyped for it wouldn't have felt let down.

But since it launched as such a mess all anyone thinks about is what it isn't and what it could have been or what it promised to be. And it'll never be that.

GTA Trilogy

Sick Friends Tv GIF
That changed the industry in a different way. That told publishers you could take a beloved collection of games, show no respect for it and just throw it out with bugs and technical issues and players will buy it at a fairly high price anyway.

Sega sure took note with Sonic Origins.

Top Bottom