• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Elden Ring: Shadow Of The Erdtree’ At ‘Mixed’ Reviews on Steam Because It’s Too Hard

Hudo

Gold Member
complaining that Elden Ring is too hard on PC, when you can Cheat Engine the difficulty to be non-existent, is retarded.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Let me teach you all a magic trick

Remove chinese, korean and japanese reviews and....

IisGwlM.png

VOILÀ

keefged4

Filthy Casuals. It's not hard at all, but tbf I am using a NG character at around lv170.

Last edited:

J3nga

complaining that Elden Ring is too hard on PC, when you can Cheat Engine the difficulty to be non-existent, is retarded.
So just cuz platform allows you to use cheats you should just straight up use those? Strange logic.

Hudo

Gold Member
So just cuz platform allows you to use cheats you should just straight up use those? Strange logic.
No. But you can, if the game is really "unplayable" for you because it's "too hard". Otherwise: Git good.

I have ~1000 hours in Souls games and ER alone. Beat them all multiple times. I and many others obviously don't have a problem with challenges. But the DLC isn't a "get good" type of hard, it's more like pure relentless frustration for no good reason.
We've reached a point where From could make a game one shotting you from front to back and people would still do the LOL GIT GUD dance at any criticism, what do you expect?

Hudo

Gold Member
It will not give any satisfaction, just dropping the game would be better idea.
I don't get what your point is. I just mentioned that if you think that the game is "unplayable" because of its difficulty, there's always the option to use Cheat Engine on PC. That's it.

J3nga

I don't get what your point is. I just mentioned that if you think that the game is "unplayable" because of its difficulty, there's always the option to use Cheat Engine on PC. That's it.
It's not unplayable there are plenty of ways this game offers to make it laughably easy legally. Cheats are pointless, better watching playthrough on YT.

Hudo

Gold Member
It's not unplayable there are plenty of ways this game offers to make it laughably easy legally. Cheats are pointless, better watching playthrough on YT.
I think it's perfectly playable. But some people writing these Steam reviews see it as unplayable. I am referring to these people.

Edit: I also would disagree that cheats are pointless. I had countless hours of fun cheating in The Sims or Grand Theft Auto III.

Last edited:

J3nga

I think it's perfectly playable. But some people writing these Steam reviews see it as unplayable. I am referring to these people.

Edit: I also would disagree that cheats are pointless. I had countless hours of fun cheating in The Sims or Grand Theft Auto III.
I mean within souls-like games where struggle is part of "fun". Another story where you'd use it to cause mayham on top of mayham.

Last edited:
Anyone complaining bout how hard fromsoft games are, for sure if it a dlc. Are they really the target and why you even playing. I wonder if some of them say they play other from and saying this one hard cause they taking 2-3 shots and they die. Umm. That been in every fromsoft games

GHG

There were previews before the DLC released that warned everyone about this. I guess it's true? Even level 150 characters seem to be struggling. I wonder if this was really intentional or if they just couldn't balance things in time.

It's balanced, you're supposed to explore the new area and find the items that raise your attack power and defence in the area, not just run from major boss to major boss while hoping for the best.

Leveling up makes minimal difference there.

Hudo

Gold Member
I mean within souls-like games where struggle is part of "fun". Another story where you'd use it to cause mayham on top of mayham.
I know that. You know that. The people who are complaining apparently don't have any fun (maybe they have fun writing these reviews, tho). So an option that is available to them is to give them, e.g. more (or infinite) flasks or whatever. They don't have to take it. But they can, if they want to. That was my point. I wouldn't do that, you apparently wouldn't do that. They can do that.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I have only bought one Fromsoft expansion, the dark souls 3 pack. It was a complete waste of money for me, as it was just plain too difficult and not fun. It was clearly designed for people who were on NG+ or higher, yet these areas were available mid-game on a fresh character. It soured me on the experience. The base game is my favourite, but the expansions were not fun at all. I learned my lesson. Fromsoft expansions are only for the hardest of the hardcore.

Git gud, bitches! It's a From Software game.. it has difficulty reminiscent of video games from the 80s and 90s.

FWIW, I've never played a FromSoftware title, because of what i've heard about the difficulty. And I usually play all my games on the hardest difficulty setting, which I know sounds weird and hypocritical.

Am I missing out on something?

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
And this is why I won’t buy the dlc. Some of us want to enjoy our games and when it’s too hard we don’t play or purchase them. Yes there are some who can and will say get good but they are the niche.

What all games should have is a trophy or reward system that allows everyone to enjoy the game and prove your manhood.

Beat a game on easy mode you get a bronze trophy. Medium silver, hard Gold, extreme fuck it and you get a diamond trophy

This way we can all enjoy the game at our comfort level and feel good about our skill

gatti-man

Elden rings difficulty for me was just bad design camoflauged with cool looking bosses. Idk why it’s so popular. It feels like I’m playing a game from the late 1990s with present day polish. I knew this was going to happen when the dlc is locked behind a boss. Dumb dumb decision.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve beat all bosses so far I’ve done except Messemer. I’m 5 hours deep and he has royally fucked me on repeat.

For other bosses my biggest complaints are two fold:
-Camera is often the real boss. Hippo is good example of horrible camera being the actual fight.
-Every boss has felt samey in terms of tactics… avoid 12 attacks then get 1-2 in yourself.

—-

Idk that it’s too hard but it definitely isn’t fun DLC so far. I also hate that damn near every pick up has been trash items and not good loot, and that the recycled bosses is way too many.

DanEON

I think I will pass this DLC. I loved the original game. But I am not in the mood to play a hard game right now.

Fbh

I think some people are ignoring or not grasping the importance of the scadutree fragments, which basically work as the "leveling" system in the DLC.

I've played around 4 or 5 hours and so far I haven't found it that hard. I did get to a boss that was kicking my ass, but I just went exploring in another direction and have yet to hit another wall

Thief1987

DLC is definitely weaker than the main game which is 7/10. So 6/10 is a fair score for it, I don't see anything controversial.

DeVeAn

It feels harder then base game but, not like people are crying about. Bad Design? Please, one of THE best design in the industry.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I have only bought one Fromsoft expansion, the dark souls 3 pack. It was a complete waste of money for me, as it was just plain too difficult and not fun. It was clearly designed for people who were on NG+ or higher, yet these areas were available mid-game on a fresh character. It soured me on the experience. The base game is my favourite, but the expansions were not fun at all. I learned my lesson. Fromsoft expansions are only for the hardest of the hardcore.
I think that is a bit outlandish to say. You need to beat Vordt of Boreal Valley and Crystal Mage to enter Ashes of Ariandel but you can't enter Ringed City until you are at the final boss or have beaten the three phase boss at the end of Ashes of Ariendel. While the bosses in Ashes of Ariandel are difficult the world is no more dangerous than Catacombs or Irythill. Loot like the low stat requirement follower shield and javelin can carry a player through a lot of the base game as well. That said, I have nothing but contempt for Ringed City despite managing to beat it. Every boss required me to drop my build and respec while the world would just randomly without warning throw me into near death state.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Killed the lion shit on 3rd attempt. The first mausouleum was easy. But the torch guy come on. What shit is that?

skneogaf

“Was able to beat it but the bosses were so overtuned and aggressive that even being almost maxed out with the Scadutree fragments didn’t make it any easier.”

Doubt

RoboFu

One of the green rats
2 things... you should be at least close to lvl 150 .. and more importantly you need to find and get the Revered Spirit Ash and Scadutree Fragment.

also
You will find forges that will give a lot of high end smithing stones.

Fake

I was told PC master race was the homeland of the Souls game.

Well, time to cancel Bloodborne and Demon Souls PC ports.

Stafford

Mammi Relanna hurting meeee

I saw a YouTuber fighting that boss and holy fuck man, these games just aren't for me anymore. I did finish Dark Souls 1 and 2, loved the first one but I will never say that I'm even remotely good. My build was pyromancer with sword. When I see how players roll around and avoid boss attacks I'm like.....wtf? They make it look so easy, but when I try this in Dark Souls I just get hit.

I saw a YouTuber fighting that boss and holy fuck man, these games just aren't for me anymore. I did finish Dark Souls 1 and 2, loved the first one but I will never say that I'm even remotely good. My build was pyromancer with sword. When I see how players roll around and avoid boss attacks I'm like.....wtf? They make it look so easy, but when I try this in Dark Souls I just get hit.
It truly is a rhythm think some people just can't get on the wavelength. And that's not to be a downer. It's just won't click for some people.

Top Bottom