• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree | Preview Thread

I'm sure Miyazaki has been coy about Shadow's size because he wants to instill the same sense of wonder and awe that we got from ER. The map just kept expanding further and further while being presented in a way as to obfuscate it's true scale. Each time I'd literally say "wait, there's MORE!?", no other game has really given me that feeling before, I couldn't get enough!

My guess is the DLC will be massive in scope and full of surprises, can't wait, Father Milk stands ready, the Elden glow engulfs me. Oh sweet Biscotti! Oh Tinman! Oh Confessor brothers! The sights that await us! The songs we'll sing under the Shadow of the Erd Tree! May the holy light guide thee, anon!

I can't wait for this. Keeping visual spoilers to a minimum, so although I'd love to go through Vaati's video it'll have to wait. Really just wanted to see a bit about the weapon types, and I am really encouraged by that. BUT question to the From/ER superfans...

I'm around 175, and have my save right at the end-game "choice" but having viewed all endings already. Obviously I haven't entered NG+1, as I'm almost done mopping up ALL possible loose ends, in terms of unfarmable items (weapons/ashes/tears/ancient somber stones, etc).

I want to savor it, I was overleveled for most of the endgame such that only the Haligtree was a decent challenge. So if I go in with my current bleed build, I'm concerned it's gonna be blowing through things rather than savoring. That said, I also don't know what From NG+ is like, is it going to be a crazy difficulty spike?

So having said all that, do you think it's best for me to:
1. Enter NG+ and make progress towards DLC, so that I'm at a more reasonable level when it launches?
2. Respec, go for a jack of all trades master of none build to go through content, so that my level matters a little bit less?

Open to opinions & suggestions.

They are such assholes...
Apparently at level 150 people were being hit for half their HP. There is a way to mitigate this in the DLC but I guess you don't want me to tell you what it is. Just: don't worry about it. Miyazaki has thought of everything.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Perfume bottles fuck yeah!
Grace Jones Perfume GIF

EruditeHobo

Apparently at level 150 people were being hit for half their HP. There is a way to mitigate this in the DLC but I guess you don't want me to tell you what it is. Just: don't worry about it. Miyazaki has thought of everything.

Good to know!

Not gonna worry about it. Pretty excited to dive in once it gets here.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
do they mention if new weapons use same upgrade materials?
I didn’t read a lot, but I did see the event gave them a maxed out weapon? Imagine 100 new weapons and many styles to go back and replay everything. It’s crazy. Need to literally reset my brain for this. It’s going to be huge.

Bartski

Gold Member
I didn’t read a lot, but I did see the event gave them a maxed out weapon? Imagine 100 new weapons and many styles to go back and replay everything. It’s crazy. Need to literally reset my brain for this. It’s going to be huge.
I'm loaded with stones of all kinds just curious if this is how it still works for the new arsenal. I'm also curious if you can kill new vendors - nasty idea but in my NG+I have killed every single one and now have a one-stop shop at the hold... Evil and convenient.

mansoor1980

the ability to crouch and jump totally propelled this genre to new heights for me , not to mention the best mount in any game yet , eagerly waiting for this.................

the-matrix-very-exciting.gif

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How fucked am I by using my NG+6 character for this? 😂
Use one of the various glitches to level up a new character. You can probably get a new character to level 150 in less than 3 hours.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to get to the endgame areas in a few hours too, with minimal combat.

When I double dipped for the PS5 version, I was level 150 with the Rivers of Blood katana in maybe 4-5 hours.

So many shortcuts.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Hmm have a character in ng+, any concrete word on how much harder the DLC will be?
Try it out when it releases. If it’s too hard, start a new character and follow my advice to another user:

Use one of the various glitches to level up a new character. You can probably get a new character to level 150 in less than 3 hours.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to get to the endgame areas in a few hours too, with minimal combat.

When I double dipped for the PS5 version, I was level 150 with the Rivers of Blood katana in maybe 4-5 hours.

So many shortcuts.

Reyziak

The only From game that had DLC trophies was Bloodborne, and that game is the exception due to being co-developed by a now shut down Sony studio.

Antwix

No achievements isn't a big deal. While I like them, from has very vanilla achievements in their souls games. Kill this boss, get all spells, get all rings, get all weapons, upgrade to max weapon, etc

skit_data

What is this I'm hearing? No trophies?
That's a very wierd decision. Sure, it'd be crazy to skip the game based on it but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed.
From Softwares games have an unusually high completion rate, even the platinum trophies aren't rare compared to almost any other game. It's a pretty baffling decision to skip trophies/achievments seen in that context.

So I'm hearing from some of these previews that there is a unique upgrade system that only is applicable inside the dlc area which kinda of resets everyone's power level so that they'll need to collect these special upgrades to fight against dlc bosses.

Is there any mention in any of the previews whether dlc weapons still need upgrade stones? I'd assume they would, but I'd like to know before I farm hundreds of them to try out new weapons.

So I'm hearing from some of these previews that there is a unique upgrade system that only is applicable inside the dlc area which kinda of resets everyone's power level so that they'll need to collect these special upgrades to fight against dlc bosses.

Is there any mention in any of the previews whether dlc weapons still need upgrade stones? I'd assume they would, but I'd like to know before I farm hundreds of them to try out new weapons.
From what I’ve understood, you collect a certain amount of a new item (blessing of the scadutree I believe) that boosts your stats inside the DLC. Like the item that upgrades how much health is restored when using a flask. You are free to activate this buff to get stronger or ignore it depending on how hard you want your experience to be.

As for new weapons it seems they can be upgraded with smithing stones just like the weapons in the base game. So you’re gonna need a good amount of stones to try out the new weapons.

Fake

If I read correctly, those upgrades are more for 'non souls' fans, early players or people struggling in the DLC. People that are overly level don't necessary need because of the level scaling system. Is totally optional.
And all upgrades inside the DLC doesn't work on the base game.

There is no mention of upgrade stones. My guess is that will be another material in the DLC for DLC weapons, more like an act of stop your early progress.

Bartski

Gold Member
There is no mention of upgrade stones. My guess is that will be another material in the DLC for DLC weapons, more like an act of stop your early progress.
I'm hearing it's just regular somber and smithing stones. And glovewort. Which is great 'casue I'm LOADED with those

Top Bottom