• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree | Preview Thread

Gideon

Looks bloody amazing, extremely excited for this and can't wait to test the martial arts combat out :D

Mephisto40

It's complete madness that I started playing the original game over 2 years ago, and last night I still came across a catacomb and site of grace I'd never seen before

Can't wait for this DLC

proandrad

isnt the nagakiba a great katana?

elden-ring-nagakiba-held-stance.jpg
All katanas are great katanas.

Kssio_Aug

I think for you it might be a better bet to follow the sites of grace and get through the main questline. If the exploration is exhausting for you, I would stop doing it. For me, it's the best thing about the game. Both Elden Ring and Tears Of The Kingdom are incredibly good at just letting you wander about for hours, finding new stuff. But there's no reason to do that if you're not really into that style of slow, measured gameplay. Perfectly okay to miss stuff to get through the game.
You're not wrong. I am actually planning making my way more directly toward the main path from now on, it will probably be better for me.

Last edited:

Antwix

Was kinda scared to watch to avoid spoilers, but my god that light greatsword shown is probably the smoothest moveset I've ever seen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t need previews, I already know they will deliver.

I think I played the main game too much to be able to enjoy this content.
I put around 700 hours in to the game and currently replaying the game with new character AGAIN and still super hyped for this expansion.

I think I have unhealthy addiction to Elden Ring.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

30 hours of new content 😍

You can mainline the base game doing mainly just the main quests in about 50-60 hours. I spent 140 playing it. By that measure, I should get a good 60-70 hours out of the DLC as well. Pretty much an entirely new game.

...hell, I wouldn't put it past Miyazaki to have actually disguised a full sequel as a DLC download. The previews have been mighty restrictive on where they could go and what they could see.

Tarin02543

I'm hoping for technical improvements as well.

The only thing I ask is for fullscreen mode to be g sync compatible so that I can enjoy the game tearfree and with native HDR so no Windows HDR while playing borderless

Kings Field

Did they say recently that it’s an option to play with the new “leveling” mechanic and that you can play traditionally without this mechanic? I want to do one run traditional and one run with the new mechanic.

GrayChild

These fuckers announced a DLC, then said it will be more like an expansion pack, and in the end they basically delivered contend for an entirely new game.

HOW?!?!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
These fuckers announced a DLC, then said it will be more like an expansion pack, and in the end they basically delivered contend for an entirely new game.

HOW?!?!
I mean, Elden Ring was already like 2 games put together, so the expansion being another full game isn't really a surprise. :goog_relieved:

GHG

Gold Member
Saw just 5 minutes of skill ups preview and stopped watching.

Bidding Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

This is going to be so fucking good.

Now I just need to decide if I continue with my character on Playstation or PC. I can't remember what level I got play Playstation character up to but on PC I'm around level 80, so sounds like I have some work to do.

FeralEcho

The Dancing Lion's theme is dope as fuck.
Vibing White Cat GIF

I only watched tid bits of the previews, don't want to spoil myself,I already know it will be amazing and worth the wait,I fully expect another 50 hours of playtime of this first playthrough.

My 260 hours in the base game will further get extend with this mammoth of a dlc... can't believe people complained about the 40 dollars price tag when the dlc will be bigger than most full games lol

Can not wait for all the lore implications.Bring on the 21st.

FeralEcho

It's actually 70 hours of content
Yeah I mean Miyazaki said the base game was about 20 hours long 😂 Took me 180 hours.

To be fair though he did say he's better than most players and obviously he wouldn't 100% the game for that assessment, that's for the main route,even so it's still lowballing it.

GHG

Gold Member
What’s the current OP build?
It’s been a while for me. I only play single player and have found that bleed builds are still super OP.

Bleed was always OP from the start, Mogh's spear's special is a literal instant win button as long as the enemy is within radius.

This remains the most OP thing you can do:

If you want to do a bit more work than that then anything with high poise damage along with a maxed out misericorde for crits will do the trick.

But the overall balance is in a good place now, most builds are viable so just go with what you have the most fun with and level accordingly.

EruditeHobo

I can't wait for this. Keeping visual spoilers to a minimum, so although I'd love to go through Vaati's video it'll have to wait. Really just wanted to see a bit about the weapon types, and I am really encouraged by that. BUT question to the From/ER superfans...

I'm around 175, and have my save right at the end-game "choice" but having viewed all endings already. Obviously I haven't entered NG+1, as I'm almost done mopping up ALL possible loose ends, in terms of unfarmable items (weapons/ashes/tears/ancient somber stones, etc).

I want to savor it, I was overleveled for most of the endgame such that only the Haligtree was a decent challenge. So if I go in with my current bleed build, I'm concerned it's gonna be blowing through things rather than savoring. That said, I also don't know what From NG+ is like, is it going to be a crazy difficulty spike?

So having said all that, do you think it's best for me to:
1. Enter NG+ and make progress towards DLC, so that I'm at a more reasonable level when it launches?
2. Respec, go for a jack of all trades master of none build to go through content, so that my level matters a little bit less?

Open to opinions & suggestions.

I started paying Elden Ring yesterday and the Erdtree Burial Watchdog pushed my shit in.

They are such assholes...

EruditeHobo

I think for you it might be a better bet to follow the sites of grace and get through the main questline. If the exploration is exhausting for you, I would stop doing it. For me, it's the best thing about the game. Both Elden Ring and Tears Of The Kingdom are incredibly good at just letting you wander about for hours, finding new stuff. But there's no reason to do that if you're not really into that style of slow, measured gameplay. Perfectly okay to miss stuff to get through the game.

The exploration is unbelievable... but I do sympathize that it is exhausting. But in an incredibly satisfying way.

Antwix

I can't wait for this. Keeping visual spoilers to a minimum, so although I'd love to go through Vaati's video it'll have to wait. Really just wanted to see a bit about the weapon types, and I am really encouraged by that. BUT question to the From/ER superfans...

I'm around 175, and have my save right at the end-game "choice" but having viewed all endings already. Obviously I haven't entered NG+1, as I'm almost done mopping up ALL possible loose ends, in terms of unfarmable items (weapons/ashes/tears/ancient somber stones, etc).

I want to savor it, I was overleveled for most of the endgame such that only the Haligtree was a decent challenge. So if I go in with my current bleed build, I'm concerned it's gonna be blowing through things rather than savoring. That said, I also don't know what From NG+ is like, is it going to be a crazy difficulty spike?

So having said all that, do you think it's best for me to:
1. Enter NG+ and make progress towards DLC, so that I'm at a more reasonable level when it launches?
2. Respec, go for a jack of all trades master of none build to go through content, so that my level matters a little bit less?

Open to opinions & suggestions.

They are such assholes...
I don't think level 175 is that crazy of an overpowered level for the dlc. I could be wrong but they have that new leveling system in place to seemingly kind of reduce the effect of overleveling. But think of it this way, having more levels (unless you went fully into like 1 stat) gives you access to more weapons to try out I suppose.

Top Bottom