• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Northman’ Rated “R” for Strong Bloody Violence and Nudity

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
via

TheNorthman_Poster.jpg

We cannot wait to see The Northman, the new Viking revenge film from The Witch and The Lighthouse director Robert Eggers that Focus Features is releasing in theaters next month.

Described as “an action-filled epic that follows a young Viking prince on his quest to avenge his father’s murder,” The Northman comes exclusively to theaters on April 22, 2022.

The Northman is rated “R” for “Strong bloody violence, some sexual content and nudity.”

Nudity legit doesn't mean shit. Every walking dead episode had the rating followed by "gore, graphic violence, nudity" and you never saw more than the bottom of anybody's back in that show.
Fair. At the same time, "The Boys" on Amazon Prime had some nudity/sexual content warnings, and I think there was a sex scene where the character Starlight was topless.

So it can go either way (*shrug*).

Interesting that they make all these shows about Vikings where they are all portrayed in this sexed up, glorified manner. Any other group of violent colonialists are always portrayed as evil monsters by the media but the Vikings get a free pass.

I'm not complaining, just noting the double standards. When can we expect a TV show depicting the British Empire in this manner?

Interesting that they make all these shows about Vikings where they are all portrayed in this sexed up, glorified manner. Any other group of violent colonialists are always portrayed as evil monsters by the media but the Vikings get a free pass.

I'm not complaining, just noting the double standards. When can we expect a TV show depicting the British Empire in this manner?
What Viking shows are you watching?

Every Viking media I've seen portrays them as war-hungry brutes who rape/pillage/etc, and have bizarre, sometimes bloody ceremonies to honor their messed up deities.

Don't know what you mean by "glorified manner." You mean good-looking (maybe even borderline "glamorous") actors and actresses? Sure. But most "historical" shows are like that. If historical entertainment shows portrayed people physically as things REALLY were, no one would watch 😂

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Fair. At the same time, "The Boys" on Amazon Prime had some nudity/sexual content warnings, and I think there was a sex scene where the character Starlight was topless.

So it can go either way (*shrug*).
It could, true enough. I just see it as a white lie the studio tells to get people in seats opening weekend. I expect maybe some side boob or a deeply plunging neckline at most. Or a dudes ass. But hey, I'm always down to be pleasantly surprised.

bitbydeath

You should watch Spartacus, whoo boy!
nervous charlie sheen GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think I'm gonna carve out some time to see this in theater.

This and Top Gun 2 are about the only films I'm really interested in.

Kimahri

Banned
Every Viking media I've seen portrays them as war-hungry brutes who rape/pillage/etc, and have bizarre, sometimes bloody ceremonies to honor their messed up deities.
To be fair, most peoples back then were war-hungry brutes with messed up deities.

Vikings were just better at it, and reigned supreme for some time.

Spaceman292

Banned

Its because vikings r cool

Fbh

Most excited I've been for a movie since Dune.
R Rated, visually strikings, serious tone, solid cast with seemingly no woke crap and forced diversity casting. We don't get stuff like this often enough.

Last edited:
Willem Dafoe is also on the list tho….
Willem Dafoe is widely rumored to be the owner of Hollywood's largest package. And while shooting his latest film, "Antichrist," director Lars Von Trier found out for himself. The film called for Dafoe to hack off his own member, but when it came time to shoot the scene, Von Trier decided to use a dick double. Not because he wanted to keep ladies from getting too excited, but because Defoe's penis is so large "everybody got very confused when they saw it."

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Wish i could buy Robert Eggers a beer, dude's streak is 3 out of 3 at this point - that's a fucking hat-trick...
One of the best new/young film directors of the past 10+ years (plus, dude's only 38), i'll watch anything he makes, in fact, i wish he doesn't ruin that streak and that he continues to make good movies - even with a "Hollywood AAA budget®"

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Wasn’t Rome really fucky too?
Yup. I distinctly someone being gifted use of a slave with a ribbon around his cock.

This looks amazing - saw the trailer on my last trip to the cinema and it stuck with me more than the movie I saw did.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
going to see this tomorrow morning :) i haven't watched any trailers for it. i was sold on whatever Eggers done after Witch/Lighthouse and i'll watch anything with Anya Taylor Joy in it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The wife saw this trailer and thought it was that Vikings:Valhalla show on Netflix. So we are watching ep 1 and she says "when.. uh, is that tall blonde guy from True Blood going to show up?" all the while she is quietly panting in anticipation of 6'5" of chiseled abs.

Me "Sweetie, that is Northman the movie, not this soap opera anachronistic fantasy viking show".

"So can we go see Northamn?"

SUCCESS!!! Now I just need to get a babysitter.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just back from seeing it. really enjoyed it. definitely want to watch it again! eggers has done it again.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I wanna see butts and quick flashes of penises :D
Wasn’t Rome really fucky too?
Pfff if you guys think Rome was fucky it's because you did not saw In the Realm of the Senses where the guy shoves an egg up her vagina and she's moaning take it out, he replies do it like the chicken do... and it was real or Ana, my love full real sex scene Double Lover close up of a vagina and so on... and those are only the "straight" movies... the LGBT movies are even more fucky.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wanna see butts and quick flashes of penises :D

Pfff if you guys think Rome was fucky it's because you did not saw In the Realm of the Senses where the guy shoves an egg up her vagina and she's moaning take it out, he replies do it like the chicken do... and it was real or Ana, my love full real sex scene Double Lover close up of a vagina and so on... and those are only the "straight" movies... the LGBT movies are even more fucky.
you don't see any penis. some quick shots of the tits of extras. a quick shot of anya's hairy bloody vagine and about 1 second of her ass. she is naked in another scene but you don't really see anything cause her ass/pussy are out of shot and amleth has his arm over her tits.
I’m taking my gf who hates violence to this without telling her about it. I’m hoping the male nudity will distract her.
there's a couple shots of male ass and quite a bit of topless ripped abs/chest/arms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom