• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Northman’ Rated “R” for Strong Bloody Violence and Nudity

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if anyone is wondering about guts, gore, blood, violence and wants a warning (not an exhaustive list just what i remember):

someones nose being bitten off. a sword being pushed slowly into someones nose and through into his brain. lots of throat slitting. someone hung upside down with their intensines hanging out. a soldier has his guts ripped open and his intestines fall out onto the floor. off screen a kid being killed. suggestions of rape (not showed). someone taking period blood and putting on someones face. heads being chopped off (both human and horse). a dog being killed. lots of people being trapped and burned alive.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
just back from seeing it. really enjoyed it. definitely want to watch it again! eggers has done it again.

How "weird" is it? All his movies have supernatural elements to them, I want him to go hard on that in this movie but the trailer is pretty straightforward.

How "weird" is it? All his movies have supernatural elements to them, I want him to go hard on that in this movie but the trailer is pretty straightforward.
There is weirdness in it, but not at the level of Lighthouse. However this movie is brutal, some of those fight scenes and ritual scenes are wow. The music is also one of the best soundtracks where it doesnt really on Hans Zimmer esque bullshit.

I kinda wonder what the original cut was like because the movie while long, didnt feel like it dragged

I wasnt sure how he was going to be as an action movie director ( it is that with some myth sprinkled in) but his directing was great, and this movie should be a treat in Imax ( seen it in a normal unfortunately)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
there's definitely a supernatural element but i wouldn't say it's anything like The Witch or The Lighthouse.

it's really just a revenge movie with a lot of bloody action/violence with some hints to the supernatural/religion and some creepy/weird scenes.

There is weirdness in it, but not at the level of Lighthouse. However this movie is brutal, some of those fight scenes and ritual scenes are wow. The music is also one of the best soundtracks where it doesnt really on Hans Zimmer esque bullshit.

I kinda wonder what the original cut was like because the movie while long, didnt feel like it dragged

I wasnt sure how he was going to be as an action movie director ( it is that with some myth sprinkled in) but his directing was great, and this movie should be a treat in Imax ( seen it in a normal unfortunately)
i hope we get a director's cut. i'd watch a 3 hour cut of this no problem :)

Last edited:
there's definitely a supernatural element but i wouldn't say it's anything like The Witch or The Lighthouse.

it's really just a revenge movie with a lot of bloody action/violence with some hints to the supernatural/religion and some creepy/weird scenes.

i hope we get a director's cut. i'd watch a 3 hour cut of this no problem :)
I don't think it is the length he cut, I feel like the order of scenes probably got changed around so it flows better and faster. I kept trying to think what could have been cut or reduced but most of the scenes are looking entirely intact.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Went to see it last night

The Northman has a vast cinematic canvas and scope of a Hollywood blockbuster yet still remains truly a film by Robert Eggers.

Battles involving gory deaths - prophecies - powerful ancient Gods - dreams and visions - and breath taking landscapes combine to make this tale of revenge set in AD 895 a must see. Actually - see it on the biggest, widest screen you can. The cinematography of the Icelandic and Irish vistas are stunning.

There's some great performances too, in this tale of a King murdered by his brother. The Kings son, Prince Afmleth, escapes his kingdom, vowing to return and seek revenge. Years later, the now fierce warrior returns to discover that his murderous uncle lost the kingdom and is now a feudal lord. Amleth poses as a slave to take his revenge but must decide what to do about his mother Gudrún. A great performance by Nicole Kidman.

This is a truly epic film that rattles along at a past pace. The fantasy elements are captivating and the battles brutal, earning its 16’s cert.

I really enjoyed everything about this production and it was great to see Anna Taylor Joy back after her brilliant turn in Last Night in Soho. A big, bold, action packed, battle filled, gory spectacular with stunning scenery.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Also, this movie was literally made for OLEDs. Whole time seeing it I could just image how godly it’s going to look on the c1. All of the dark scenes, orange and black. These crappy movie theater projectors are Stone Age technology.

Loved every minute of this. Easily one of the most visceral movies I’ve seen since The Revenant.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
10/10 movie. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Loved it.

Coincidentally I've been watching Vikings lately. Both cover a lot of the same themes. But both are quality. SOme fantastic imagery in this film. Jeez. Loved it.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Got tickets to see this Sunday. Can't wait. Hope its as epic as I have heard.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Also, this movie was literally made for OLEDs. Whole time seeing it I could just image how godly it’s going to look on the c1. All of the dark scenes, orange and black. These crappy movie theater projectors are Stone Age technology.

Loved every minute of this. Easily one of the most visceral movies I’ve seen since The Revenant.
i can't wait to watch on my OLED. hope it's not too long before a physical release. i'll be getting the blu ray. i don't buy many blu rays these days but i have the witch + the lighthouse so would feel odd not having the northman.

DKehoe

FQ-AfYcUUAEZrqC

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Read up on this and found out that it's based on the same legend Hamlet is based on. And then I felt retarded because I didn't realize that while watching.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was magnificent.

I felt the drop from city to farm was a bit much (the soldier to slave ratio was like 1:1) but for the trade off of a giant practical set they could film around I guess it was worth it.

I liked the notion about halfway through when we start to think that maybe Almeth is the bad guy in all this and that his thirst for vengeance is his own twisted notion of honor and nobility. But i feel that the end shows it was justified in the eyes of the gods.

What was the budget on this? For the grand spectacle of the intro, I figured there would be a more grandious finale. But I suppose for such a personal quest it was appropriate.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Does it have any of the creepy intensity of The Witch?
I know it's not a horror film, but since Eggers is a master of scares, I have to ask.

Dr_Salt

For the people who have watched it would you say this is a period piece with alot of action scenes like Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, etc or is it more of a period piece with a couple of actions scenes here and there?

I like Eggers and his movies but I don't wanna watch it in the theater if it is just a bunch of weird shit like the lighthouse.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Is there an actual plot in this? The Witch was just a diablo ex machina happening to some people who were ‘judgmental’, without the slightest bit of psychological insight.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It has disturbing and a bit creepy scenes but no horror.

Yes, it has a plot and a firm resolution.

It has one really big action set piece and then a handful of smaller ones. It is NOT an action film.

It has dreamlike scenes, but it is not a "head up its own ass" art film. If you know some Norse Lore to understand Yggdrasil, Odin and his ravens, the amantia muscaria mushroom, and the base concept of dying in battle to get into Valhalla/Folkvangr versus Hel then you should be able to follow the more spiritual bits.

Or just get nicely buzzed/high and enjoy the scenic ride :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lots of people on social media getting offended over that one scene with Nicole Kidman.

Happy Oh Yeah GIF
As they should.

It is an intense performance and you can read it in a lot of ways.

Does it portray ALL women as scheming manipulators? No, but some will say it does. Is she revealing that Amleth has succumbed to his own paternal hero worship and wasted his life? Perhaps. Was her incestuous advance an indication of her own greed for power or was it just an odious ploy to get his sword? Was Amleth the bad guy in all this? Or was his mom? What about the uncle? Lots of shades of grey yet it seems the gods themselves approved of the revenge and he was chosen by a valkyrie so was it all justified in the end?

FUUUCCK I need to watch this film again :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ha ha ha, "Committed mothers"...have they SEEN the film?

There is a discussion about whether or not the film promotes a violent aggressive mindset, whether it actually shows the harmful consequences of it, or, in my view, uses the magic sword to illustrate that violence has a place and time like everything else. Survivors of rape or childhood trauma, how responsible are they for their adult actions? What is the good and bad of worshipping your parents and what view of them do children have compared to the reality. Are male bonding rituals that powerful and important, and have we lost something as a culture when we abandoned most of them? What are the "mysteries of women" and as a man should we value them and how?

Lots to unpack in this film between all the axe swinging and slave trading :p

I'm looking forward to that movie myself, but who exactly are these "white supremacists" claiming ownership of that movie? That article talks about a few reddit and 4chan posts, which are certainly not representative of that movie's fanbase.

Am I now branded a white supremacist for liking a historically accurate Viking movie? Sounds more like a bad attempt at hyperbolic journalism and fearmongering in order to create views. Strenuously tying the Northman to real life terrorists like Brenton Tarrant only serves the purpose of stirring up social panic and creating a hostile atmosphere that makes it even harder for such movies to be created in the future.

If white supremacists like that movie for the wrong reasons, it's certainly not the movie's fault and putting pressure on good directors for not wanting to compromise their vision only leads to more creative stifling. This is the Ghostbusters 2016 narrative all over again only that we've gone from "if you don't like this movie, you're a sexist" to "if you like this movie you're a white supremacist".

Last edited:

DKehoe

I'm looking forward to that movie myself, but who exactly are these "white supremacists" claiming ownership of that movie? That article talks about a few reddit and 4chan posts, which are certainly not representative of that movie's fanbase.

Am I now branded a white supremacist for liking a historically accurate Viking movie? Sounds more like a bad attempt at hyperbolic journalism and fearmongering in order to create views. Strenuously tying the Northman to real life terrorists like Brenton Tarrant only serves the purpose of stirring up social panic and creating a hostile atmosphere that makes it even harder for such movies to be created in the future.

If white supremacists like that movie for the wrong reasons, it's certainly not the movie's fault and putting pressure on good directors for not wanting to compromise their vision only leads to more creative stifling. This is the Ghostbusters 2016 narrative all over again only that we've gone from "if you don't like this movie, you're a sexist" to "if you like this movie you're a white supremacist".
On the internet you can find anyone saying pretty much any possible opinion. So it makes it really easy for sites like these to generate articles about "X thinks Y about Z" Charles Manson getting obsessed with Helter Skelter doesn't mean The Beatles were pro-murder. These publications know that culture war stuff drives interest and so want to leverage whatever small thing they can find for clicks.

It might be true that some far-right people have adopted some Viking imagery for their bullshit. But that doesn't mean the rest of us should just surrender that stuff over to them and never touch it. As Eggers has shown there's a rich vein of storytelling material to be mined there and it shouldn't just be abandoned because some losers also do something with it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Make no mistake, a viking era film with all white people and historically accurate representations of gender roles (i.e. the one female viking is a LEADER, not a raider herself) is a direct threat to the last couple of years worth of 'narrative'.

That the film ALSO has a complex depiction of what some will call "toxic masculinity" and features lots of norse mythology imagery is just icing on the cake for these folks really.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Jesus Christ it feels almost impossible to escape politics from any direction these days.

It was a Viking revenge movie, nothing more. I was actually really stoned when I watched it so I need a second watch to give a real opinion, but from what I remember it was a big buff blonde Viking killing mafuckers because they deserved it. That's all.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I want it to do well, like really really well, so we can get Mel Gibson to finally do his viking epic. Fuck the haters, if you are gonna do a viking movie The Northman shows us how it should be. I hope they documented all the costuming and sets so other shows can sponge off that effort. The swords and axes alone are amazing. I gotta hunt around to see if it has a costuming guide or at least a "Making of..." book because visually the sets were astounding.

I'm watching Last Kingdom s5 and they have great stuff as well. As did Vikings:Valhalla despite the script issues. Someone somewhere is nailing this aesthetic.

I'm desperately curious to see where LOTR goes, with that budget they could take a Scandinavian aesthetic to 11, even more than the films did. Don't fuck it up Amazon!

Fools idol

Banned
Just back from a screening. It was good. It's basically Oldboy: Vikings edition. Loved it. Some really brutal gore which made my other half squeal like hell LOL... dude has his nose picked by a sword.

Eggers is really good at making films

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Serious lack of nips in this movie. Rated R for ass and side boob.
I suspect that there will be some stills with enhancement to get some better looks at ATJ but she probably has nipple covers. I'm not even sure the butt shot in the hot springs was her anyway. This isn't a titillating flick by any stretch. I'm kinda shocked they didn't have ATJ with full hairy legs :p

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I suspect that there will be some stills with enhancement to get some better looks at ATJ but she probably has nipple covers. I'm not even sure the butt shot in the hot springs was her anyway. This isn't a titillating flick by any stretch. I'm kinda shocked they didn't have ATJ with full hairy legs :p
I was also kind of shocked it didn't have more blood and gore. Wish Mel didn't go all racist and drunkard so we could have gotten his Viking movie. I bet that would have been amazing. Anyway, this was entertaining enough, but felt kind of small. I give it 3 Bjork R Rolls out of 5.

Top Bottom