• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Spaceballs 2” In Works At Amazon MGM

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Ludicrous speed!
The film was first teased by actor/writer/producer Josh Gad with a cryptic Instagram post a few weeks ago.

In that post he teased he had: “just handed in a film script that I think may be the funniest and best thing I’ve ever worked on and I am so freaking excited”.
Gad will direct the film from a script he co-wrote with “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Mutant Mayhem” scribes Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez.

Gad and Brooks himself will produce and Gad is attached to play a role in the movie. Plot specifics of the new take are under wraps.

*Nightwing

3F5ad7r.gif

what's the point? it's gonna be completely soulless because any funny joke will just get removed due to not wanting to upset the snowflakes nutjubs.

It's why we won't see movies like tropic thunder, airplanes!, and blazing saddles being made today.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn, wasn't there a History of the World pt2 out recently? Was it any good?

Anyway, it could be a SAVAGE take down of star wars, though Spaceballs was really a more kind hearted elbow to the ribs approach than a South park style.

Cautiously optimistic, though all the cool cast are dead or ultra reclusive :(

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
This is the first time I've heard of this. I saw, Mel in a somewhat recent interview and he looked like he could run the country, at 97!
If he isn't involved than neither am I. I swear, I didn't want to come off like Old Man, but here we are. Ruining my childhood, all the classics, etc.

Netflix involved means there is a 95% chance it will be a concentrated form of shit, unlike any other. 5% chance it could turn out great... :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Dang. Mel Brooks is 97. Doesn't sound like he is involved in this. So will this movie make fun of star wars? Lot's of source material these days.
I hope the movie is completely littered with lens flare.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Damn, wasn't there a History of the World pt2 out recently? Was it any good?

Anyway, it could be a SAVAGE take down of star wars, though Spaceballs was really a more kind hearted elbow to the ribs approach than a South park style.

Cautiously optimistic, though all the cool cast are dead or ultra reclusive :(
It was awful.

clarky

Gold Member
Anything without John Candy is instantly x100 times worse. I predict this will be shit.

This will be up there with the Naked Gun remake with Liam Neeson.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I find it hard to believe in 2024 they can make this even remotely funny. Anything funny will be rejected by the woke consultants

Like, imagine trying to release a movie with this scene in 2024

You sadly can’t. We live in an age where doing the universal OK Hand gesture is considered “dog whistling for the far right” and saying “retard” is as bad a slur as the N word.

We live in topsy turvy times because a bunch of mentally deranged cunts got into positions of power.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It actually could be hilarious if they really took the gloves off. I can't think of anything more ripe for parody than current Star Wars.
I'm worried it will be a serious take on the goofy world of spaceballs. Not serious in tone, but it will only look at spaceballs and try to make it into a cohesive narrative and riff off that.

Plus Spaceballs really only worked because, at the time, Star Wars was HUGELY popular. But now the glow has definitely faded, so would anyone care to see a silly spoof of it?

Be better off doing a spoof of Harry Potter or something, that at least still has a rabidly loyal fanbase.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Plus Spaceballs really only worked because, at the time, Star Wars was HUGELY popular. But now the glow has definitely faded, so would anyone care to see a silly spoof of it?

Be better off doing a spoof of Harry Potter or something, that at least still has a rabidly loyal fanbase.
Yeah, that's true. Comedy is just tough. Probably will be like a much lesser version of Scary Movie or something. Even if they make fun of woke Star Wars, it's kind of a bit too on the nose really.

Rival

Gold Member
The silver lining to this is that there’s no way it could be as bad as actual Star Wars at this point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The silver lining to this is that there’s no way it could be as bad as actual Star Wars at this point.

Oh it could. They could make a comedy movie where they just shit on fans and the fan base for 2 hours while ruining every character.

xrnzaaas

Good luck making a dirty parody movie in an environment where you desperately don't want to offend anyone, living in fear of being cancelled. Even if you're very old like Mel Brooks.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Potentially controversial opinion:
Spaceballs is boring and didn't even finish it.
I don't know when you first saw it but you have to have seen it as a kid. I noticed it doesn't hold up as good as it used to when I was younger when I used to see in a theater about a half dozen times.

Top Bottom