• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Spaceballs 2” In Works At Amazon MGM

Pejo

I don't think modern day wokeness will have much to do with the movie being good or not. The first one wasn't pushing comedy boundaries like Blazing Saddles did or anything, it was mostly PG humor.

But, I also don't think anyone involved (except aged Brooks producing) has any idea of what good comedy actually is, and they probably won't go hard enough on Disney for the idiotic decisions they made in the proper Star Wars franchise.

If you want me to watch Spaceballs 2: The Quest for More Money, get Trey Parker/Matt Stone involved.

Soodanim

I don't know when you first saw it but you have to have seen it as a kid. I noticed it doesn't hold up as good as it used to when I was younger when I used to see in a theater about a half dozen times.
That makes sense. From what I remember it was a bit silly for my taste.

I was born a year after its release and only got round to trying it on Netflix/Amazon Prime, so not quite the target audience by that point!

EekTheKat

This would be hilarious if they made a proper spiritual successor Star Wars film, cementing Disney's Star Wars to parody status in the minds of the disillusioned Star Wars fanbase.

It would oddly complete the circle, as Star Wars would have ultimately become "The Search for More Money" under the guidance of Disney.

pachura

It was never funny in 1987 either

Spaceballs sucks. It was the beginning of the end of Brooks films
I grew up in the 80s, me & my cousins loved it, we watched it like 10+ times on VHS

Strangely, my 12 y.o. son found it on YouTube like two years ago and really enjoyed it, watched it a few times, and even remembers some quotes ("smoke'em if you got em!")

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I grew up in the 80s, me & my cousins loved it, we watched it like 10+ times on VHS

Strangely, my 12 y.o. son found it on YouTube like two years ago and really enjoyed it, watched it a few times, and even remembers some quotes ("smoke'em if you got em!")

He topped off at History of the World Part 1. Everything after goes downhill fast.

Could never be done today

clarky

Gold Member
I'm worried it will be a serious take on the goofy world of spaceballs. Not serious in tone, but it will only look at spaceballs and try to make it into a cohesive narrative and riff off that.

Plus Spaceballs really only worked because, at the time, Star Wars was HUGELY popular. But now the glow has definitely faded, so would anyone care to see a silly spoof of it?

Be better off doing a spoof of Harry Potter or something, that at least still has a rabidly loyal fanbase.
Could call it Spiceballs instead.

Plenty of deserts to comb on Arrakis.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's going to suck so bad but it would be kind of neat if they got Tim Russ/Tuvok back at least for a cameo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom