• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I can help if no one else will.

You know i think im fine, ecoshifting originally offered it for me as a gift so i agreed to that, but i dont really like the feeling of owing people money, even if its 2.5 bucks. Thanks anyway though :D

AppleMIX

24phs9h.jpg

I need more self control. :lol

SalsaShark said:
You know i think im fine, ecoshifting originally offered it for me as a gift so i agreed to that, but i dont really like the feeling of owing people money, even if its 2.5 bucks. Thanks anyway though :D

Up to you, let me know if you change your mind for some reason.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I bought Bully today. Is it locked at 30fps or something? It runs significantly worse than GTAIV. The kb/m controls are horrible, too. I'm thinking this is a baaaad port.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
IL-2 is hard, so far I have broke my engine, set fire to my plane, and crashed into anther plane blowing up both. And I have yet to get off the ground!

Nabs

Nintendo Playstation said:
How often does AudioSurf go on sale? I could live with spending $5 but if it's $2.50 once a month, I can wait.
it goes on sale during every major sale. if you get it for 2.50 or less you'll feel horrible. are you ok with that?

Dambrosi

Banned
Drkirby said:
Well, Razor 2 sucks. Its a low quality shmup, with bland looking settings, fairly bad sound design, The song in the first stage doesn't start till about 10 seconds in, the sound effects don't really give you and useful feedback, the song is not that great, the announcer's tone is not right for the genre, sounds like something that should be in a futuristic or post apocalyptic RTS, and it can not be heard over the first level's music. The stages go on to long, the boss does not die or give any indication of when it is going to die, and the ships are upgradeable which IMO is bad for a shmup. While the idea is to get the player to play more, for the genre you should not to work for better weapons so you can retry the whole game to see if you can get farther.

What is worse is now I see the game had a Demo, which I should of tried first. Lesson learned I guess, and the trailer looked quiet nice.

Now to see if Top Gun can somehow be worse.
Yo dawg, I herd you like shmups.

Here's a demo of a brand new doujin shooter that just came out this past weekend in Japan. It's called Crimzon Clover, and it scratches that Cave itch something fierce.

HERE YOU GO

And a video, to get that trigger finger itching - WATCH THIS SHIT

Problem is, you can only get it in a boxed version at the moment, probably most easily from Tokyo Shmups (got the link from the shmups.com forum). It's kinda expensive, especially compared to everything in the Steam sales, but at least it's a thousand times better than shitty trash like Razor 2. :lol

Sorry to the rest of you for going so off-topic, but it's nice to see another shmup fan on NeoGAF. :D

(Also, thanks to Barvok (demo link) and Gwyrgyn Blood (video) of the shmup.com forums.)

graywolf323

okay I'm done

AI War: Children of Neinzul
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight
Elven Legacy Collection
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn DLC
Killing Floor - "London's Finest" DLC Character pack
Mafia
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
RUSH
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Sword of the Stars - Complete Collection
Swords and Soldiers HD
Super Meat Boy

total spent - $62.82

also grabbed from Impulse and GOG

Betrayal at Krondor Pack - $4.69
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich - $2.99
Ghost Master - $2.99
Return to Krondor - $4.69
The Sims 3: Late Night - $19.99

so I spent a grand total of $98.17 on holiday sales coming in just below my $100 limit :D

AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
AI War: Fleet Command
The Polynomial
Super Meat Boy
Mount and Blade: Warband
King's Bounty Collection
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Blueberry Garden
Sega Genesis Classics pack
Civcity: Rome
VVVVVV
Indie Fantasy pack (Got it for Nyxquest and I figured at least one other game would be good)
Indie Mix pack (Got it for Defcon, Darwinia, and Eufloria)
Indie Flight pack (Got it for Everyday Shooter and Guns of Icarus)

$53.53

got me 28 games as counted by the Steam menu, or 37 if one counts the 10 titles that comprise the Genesis pack.

Every game I wanted from Steam went on sale. I wasn't expecting that daily deal for AI War at all, and I had waited a long time for an individual Blueberry Garden deal. And thanks to this thread for pointing out Civcity: Rome.

By the way, I'm really happy with the Genesis pack. It supports lots of visual options, so I could turn off all filters and make it nice and pixelated just how I wanted, and it also has custom controls and quick save. Given Sega's poor track record with these things, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Nabs

Nintendo Playstation said:
Horrible good or horrible bad?
I have no idea what I'm asking here.
$5 it is then. Thanks!

You got yourself a great game. Be sure to play a wide range of music, even things you normally wouldn't think to try. Game soundtracks can be really nice (Bionic Commando Rearmed, Shatter and Super Meat Boy come to mind). Try songs that have dramatic changes through out, or songs with a lot of instruments and layers.

I tried to restrain myself as much as I could:

Jan 2, 2011 $16.45
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC, Runaway, A Road Adventure, Rush, Sniper Elite, Indie Mix Pack

Dec 26, 2010 $12.47
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, FEAR 2: Project Origin (NA), F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn DLC

Dec 21, 2010 $11.09
The Polynomial, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Lara Croft GOL

Dec 20, 2010 $17.47
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Prince of Persia

But Mafia II is still sitting in my cart waiting...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yosumin is a pretty enjoyable little puzzle game. Not worth $5, but if you ever see it on sale For $1, I would say grab it. At the very least it is not a boring waste of time, so if you got it in the Square pack (Or get it from some other pack down the road, give it a try.

The game is pretty simple. There are 6 total colors of tile thingys. To clear them, you have to make a rectangle that has the same tile thingy on each end. There is also ways to help with this, such as making rectangles of the same color 4 times in a row clears all of that color on the board, and some special tiles, like a gold one that can be used in place of any other tile. The game oddly does have a plot, though it is ones of the most pathetic excuse plots I have ever seen. "Far away, but not to far, there was a shine that had a stained glass window. Someone broke it, now find the pieces to fix it"

That is the short version, but it really doesn't say much more.

IL-2 is hard, and slow, and something I need to set a couple of hours to really look into. One thing to note if you ever get it, by default it sets everything to realistic. Change the god damn difficulty. While you could likely do with only a few of the options off, there are a ton of things you can deactivate that makes the game much easier. A few minutes after I actually got a plane to take off (You had set power to zero, turn on the engine, raise the flaps, hold down the brake, turn engine to full power, let go of the brake, when the plane gets a bit off the ground push up to level out, use rudder to stabilize, gain altitude and speed), I notice there is an option to toggle in difficulty that turns it right off.

I don't think I get the missions, the game is not the action game I am trying to play it as. Their is long stretches of time where you are just flying in a line doing very little other then not crashing, I have yet to actually find an enemy and kill him before anther wingmate does, uhhhhh...

The game isn't bad, just hard. And Slow. But not bad.

Dwayne

leroy hacker said:
Indie Fantasy pack (Got it for Nyxquest and I figured at least one other game would be good)

Is that the case? Just looked up Nyxquest and it does look cool, but i'm not so sure about the other games in the pack.

Dambrosi

Banned
faceless007 said:
I tried to restrain myself as much as I could:

Jan 2, 2011 $16.45
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC, Runaway, A Road Adventure, Rush, Sniper Elite, Indie Mix Pack

Dec 26, 2010 $12.47
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, FEAR 2: Project Origin (NA), F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn DLC

Dec 21, 2010 $11.09
The Polynomial, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Lara Croft GOL

Dec 20, 2010 $17.47
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Prince of Persia

But Mafia II is still sitting in my cart waiting...
Is it, now? :D If you have PayPal, I can help you get it for cheaper. PM me.

Xapati

So what I got this sale:

Tale of Tales Complete Pack 8,96€

Plants vs. Zombies 4,--€

King's Bounty: Collection 7,49€

Which is much better then I did last year where I spent quite a bit more and got a lot of games I didn't like. This year I like all my games, especially the Tale of Tales pack, their games surprisingly weird and awesome.
Their were actually quite a few deals and bundles out there that were quite good, but disappeared under 2 weeks of daily deals.

Drkirby said:
IL-2 is hard, and slow, and something I need to set a couple of hours to really look into. One thing to note if you ever get it, by default it sets everything to realistic. Change the god damn difficulty. While you could likely do with only a few of the options off, there are a ton of things you can deactivate that makes the game much easier. A few minutes after I actually got a plane to take off (You had set power to zero, turn on the engine, raise the flaps, hold down the brake, turn engine to full power, let go of the brake, when the plane gets a bit off the ground push up to level out, use rudder to stabilize, gain altitude and speed), I notice there is an option to toggle in difficulty that turns it right off.

I don't think I get the missions, the game is not the action game I am trying to play it as. Their is long stretches of time where you are just flying in a line doing very little other then not crashing, I have yet to actually find an enemy and kill him before anther wingmate does, uhhhhh...

The game isn't bad, just hard. And Slow. But not bad.

Yeah, it's a full-on sim. I think Wings of Prey might be more of an action-oriented game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll give that a try tomorrow, I bought both not realizing they were in the same series. But it being more of an action game is logical, since it did have an Xbox 360 port.

On a tangent, I wish the Ace Edge (The Ace Combat 6 Flight Stick) didn't have these nobs that don't seem to do anything at all. I don't recall them having a function in game, and Windows doesn't pick them up, but I doubt they are just for looks. If Blizzard can make Chatpad Drivers, maybe I can ask him really nicely to look into the Ace Edge to see if their is a way to enable the nobs to be picked up by windows (Along with the other switches that would be really useful for the flaps if they could be picked up by windows)

Steamholidaysalept1.jpg

Steamholidaysalept2.jpg

To make it a little more readable...

For me
Mafia II
Eets
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Zeno Clash
Paradox Holiday Sale 2010
Half-Life Complete
THQ Complete Pack Summer 2010 - Gift
Mafia
CivCity: Rome
Toki Tori
FarCry 2
Hitman Collection
Supreme Commander 2
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe
Dead Space
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Doom Pack
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Rush
Serious Sam Gold Pack (US)
Super Meat Boy
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA)
Tropico 3 Gold
Counter-Strike: Source
Winterbottom
X-Com Complete Pack
Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich
Just Cause 2 - Gift
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Humble Indie Bundle 2 - Retail
Humble Indie Bundle - Retail
Puzzle Quest
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Defense Grid: The Awakening
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Indie Brain Pack
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition

Gifts to people
Plants vs. Zombies
Mount and Blade: Warband
Humble Indie Bundle 2 - Retail
Humble Indie Bundle - Retail

I spent $218.63(not including the humble indie bundles or gifts that were given to me) for myself and $18.98 for gifts. The crazy part is that my library went from 130 something to a massive 270+ in a single month. I am spent and I will focus all of my gaming energy towards the goal of building a suitable PC for my delicious gaming library.

Maccas

Bully
Lara Croft GOL
Assassin's Creed 2 Deluxe
Bioshock 2
Super Meat Boy
Winterbottom

$35.59

Quiet year and nothing after the third day :/. Big thanks to BloodySinner and Azentium for helping me out with region stuff.

Only Spent about £15.00 on the steam sales. :D

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Red Faction
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Winterbottom
Titan Quest Gold

Also got:

Humble Indie Bundle 1/2
Cryostasis - Gifted from the fine gentleman: Domino Theory.

Thinking of picking up a good cheap Indie Action/Adventure game, any recommendations?

Seriously need to start reading the "I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|". This laptop just won't cut the mustard on half these games i bought! -_-

biocat

Dambrosi said:
Here's a demo of a brand new doujin shooter that just came out this past weekend in Japan. It's called Crimzon Clover, and it scratches that Cave itch something fierce.
Thanks. I'll have to pick that one up once I get back to Tokyo.

Steam
Winterbottom €0,39
Super Meat Boy €3,50
Freedom Force 3rd Reich €1,35
Caster €0,89
Bully €2,50
Crysis Complete €4,99
SimCity 4 €2,49
Global Agenda €6,24
Amnesia €3,60
Hell's Highway €3,74
CivCity Rome €0,99

Green Man Gaming/GOG

Grand Ages: Rome €1,85
Outcast €3,17

Xbox Live

Guardian of Light 600
After Burner Climax 400
Undead Nightmare 400
ME2 Overlord 200
ME2 Kasumi 200

Grand Total of about €51,13

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Metalic Sand said:
Will this run GTA4?
P2 X4 3.4ghz
GTS 512MB
6 gigs ram

Keep in mind i'm not running 1080p res!

Anyone? Halp!? Ill OC the processor more if needed...

Also if i could know how well. I only run 1440x900 currently :)

Want to try the FPS mod and stuff.

mrgone

These end of sale deliberations are tense!

How's the Just Cause 2 DLC? Worth $4.43 for the lot of it?

The Indie 2D pack: I want to pick up VVVVVV, but I've already got Galcon Fusion and Super Laser Racer, as well as Geometry Wars 2 on the Xbox. Is Bullet Candy + Geometry Wars worth the extra $2.50?

The Indie Fantasy pack: I've got NyxQuest and Bob Came in Pieces, but Spectromancer seems like it could be interesting. Faerie Solitaire doesn't seem great.. Are Spectromancer and Fortix worth $5?

Any opinions on Caster?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Metalic Sand said:
Anyone? Halp!? Ill OC the processor more if needed...

Also if i could know how well. I only run 1440x900 currently :)

Want to try the FPS mod and stuff.
Judging by those specs, possibly. You may want to run it on console at that point if you have one.

Joe Molotov

Mutagenic said:
I bought Bully today. Is it locked at 30fps or something? It runs significantly worse than GTAIV. The kb/m controls are horrible, too. I'm thinking this is a baaaad port.

It plays great with a 360 pad, and runs a lot better than GTA4 on my machine.

Dwayne said:
Is that the case? Just looked up Nyxquest and it does look cool, but i'm not so sure about the other games in the pack.

It's too early for me to say. The only one I've played so far is Faerie Solitaire, which seems to be as much of a mindless time waster as I hoped a solitaire game would be, but nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom