• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know when and where the germans will recieve and celebrate their national team? Im not german, but id like to watch it. Maybe some german channel will have an online stream? If so, id really appreciate if somebody could link it!

http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/live?kanal=208 (Not sure f it's available outside of Germany)
The coverage will start 9 Am CET tomorrow morning (13 hrs left) when the team arrived at the airport in Berlin. At 10 AM they will arrive at the "Fanmeile" in Berlin after driving with this beauty:

BshRbWMCEAAu0_N.jpg:large

tbm24

It's been a hell of a World Cup for everyone. It's been a blast, after watching that ESPN montage and that Vimeo of the colombian chap, I got misty eyed that it's all over. I already know what my plans are for 2018, hope to see some of you there.

SkylineRKR

Yes, dealing with penalty syndrome one match, going right back to it the next one. smh

I think the pens weren't bad. Vlaar would never be on the list but he took his responsibility, and missed. Sneijder was a good penalty, but a great save. All the others this cup went in. Cillisen was like early VdS, not studying pens and stats at all. When VdS did that late in his career, he grabbed quite a bit of important pens. We won the 2004 shootout, which was the last one before C.R.

He should practice on them. Its not bullshit, you CAN practice them.

Most if not all of the pens that we converted this cup were all pretty much perfectly done.

SkylineRKR

Nice one. What an amazing World Cup that was. I doubt 2018 can top that.

Bad feeling about Russia. Its probably like South Africa or Japan all over.

Somehow world cups are best when being held in football crazed countries. I hope France 2016 Euro will be as good as France 98, though too many teams participate :(

I mostly prefer the Euros anyway. Usually 4 groups of deaths.

Somehow world cups are best when being held in football crazed countries. I hope France 2016 Euro will be as good as France 98, though too many teams participate :(

I mostly prefer the Euros anyway.

I got a bad feeling about both Qatar and Russia. I feel like this was the last good World Cup I'm gonna see for a while. The passion for the game there was so strong and the imagery was insane. Christ the Redeemer overlooking the Maracana...that was something else.

FStop7

Banned
I got a bad feeling about both Qatar and Russia. I feel like this was the last good World Cup I'm gonna see for a while. The passion for the game there was so strong and the imagery was insane. Christ the Redeemer overlooking the Maracana...that was something else.

We'll have anti-gravity air conditioners floating above the stadium in 2018. Kappa

RayMaker

Banned
Well deserved win to germany, such an exciting game. Argentina where good on the breaks but germany were far more tactical and played the better ''football''.

The 2018 should have a match of USA vs Russia. It would be even better if it was the finals, and the russian president looked at the US president and said "i must break you". before the match there should be lots of training montages of the players.

zroid

Banned
Well deserved win to germany, such an exciting game. Argentina where good on the breaks but germany were far more tactical and played the better ''football''.

Despite a few defensive breakdowns, especially against Algeria, I think overall Germany played the most complete football of any side in the tournament by a considerable margin. They attacked, they defended, they controlled the midfield and possession, they were dangerous from set pieces, and their goalkeeper was a beast.

Probity

Here's the original on youtube, if people can't access BBC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j8c_e7Lic

A lot of people said this one was better, but ehhh. I don't like it really. The intro felt ridiculously forced, and the dancing seemed a bit much - if not out of place and odd to me. The music was alright, and the editing was fine, and any time it was ACTUALLY showing football I was into it. It is just that it didn't capture the moments for me that well, not all the drama and emotion.

I like ESPN's because it gets in well, is very consistent, I think the song fits extremely well, the use of commentary was great - especially the ones chosen, the moments and filters were well done, and I never felt awkward watching it. That is just me though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Wow, what a world cup, and what a final, some thoughts on all this emotional rollercoaster:

- Argentina's performance with (almost) the same team of the previous years shows that yes, you can have the best players of the world, yet you do need a coherent strategy in order to make it work. Ditching Maradona has been one of the best things that Argentina ever did.

- Spain's implosion was a hardcore case of the innovator's dilemma + hugely unmotivated players. Every team in this wc has already adapted and properly countered tiki-taka (while incorporating a bit of it into their playstyles), Real-Madrid VS Barça style. We have seen some Starcraft level of meta-game here (and some old and tired Spanish players too).

- Brazil's debacle was predictable. Brazilian team has been pure hype since a long time, despite the talent of their players. Utter lack of cohesion or anything resembling strategy, they forgot that their previous titles were born not because they abbandoned "jogo bonito" per se, but because they were able to reinforce their most lacking areas (mainly defense) in order to have some balance

- The final was close, Argentina was brilliant and played some of its best matches, but my God, did the Germans shone. Great soccer from all fronts, but in the end the best team won

- Argentina was held together by Mascherano, not Messi, which was almost a non-presence during this WC while his team mate organized the defenseby himself on a truthly impressive and, unfortunately, underrated way
- Holland, my forever favourite dark horse, chocking yet again :( well, Argentina had one of their best teams this year, so you guys can be proud of what you did

- South American soccer is reaching is prime and finally diversyfing outside the two juggernauts (Brazil & Argentina), thanks to the talent of teams like Chile and Colombia, but the whole CONCAGAF tune about FIFA's alleged eurocentrism is patently laughable. First European WC in South American soil, yup, totes overrated soccer, that one

- Is that a proper American WC team what I am seeing? Holy crap. You guys have future, soccer will be even greater with you Americans on board. I will be glad to see your competitive spirit and obsession with statistics incorporated into the beautiful game! :D

I would have to argue that Messi had 24 goal scoring shot chance created, the most by any player this world cup. He was playing too deep to get into the box so Lavezzi, Higuaine and Aguire failed to capitalize on most of those chances.

Messi's goal was the difference in the Bosnia match which they could easily lost if you take away bosnia's own goal on messi's corner
Messi's 2 goals were the difference in the Nigerian Match where if had not scored they might have lost 2-1
Messi's last minute goal was the difference in the Iranian match where they could have drawn but rather won.

Mascharano's biggest contribution was to hold the line in the semi final and final so I would say both Messi and Mesch shared holding Argentina together.

If anything, Argentina's goal scoring was non-existent compared to 2006 and 2010 world cup where they annihilated the opposition while not conceding any goal or 1 goal only got done by Germany in both 2006 and 2010, one of which went to penalties.

If anything. Higuaine, Aguire and Lavezzi along with Di maria had failed in COMPARISON to 2006 and 2010 while Messi who had 1 goal in 2 world cups succeeded in comparison to 2006 and 2010.

Fifa playing ratings In the knockout stages

vs Belgium
Mascherano: 7.5/10
Messi: 7.5/10

vs Switzerland
Mascherano: 7/10
Messi: 9.5/10

vs Netherlands
Mascherano 8/10
Messi: 7/10

vs Germany
Mascherano 8/10
Messi 8/10

Mascherano was non existent in the group stages so I don't know how you can say messi was non-existent when he was the only one giving goal scoring opportunities to the strikers who did not take them

wighti

I mostly prefer the Euros anyway. Usually 4 groups of deaths.

How is it bad when there's more teams involved? I mean, surely the top teams will pull through, like they've always had but atleast it would let the lesser teams around Europe a chance at the spotlight. Us Finns have been somewhat close a few times in the last decade but haven't yet managed to land a sport in the european cup but with the added team limit there's a chance even us might make it.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but just making it in is a humongous(relative naturally) financial boon for the participant nations, the smaller nations would gain a lot of money just by getting in the group stages that would eventually go into making their leagues better.

Both those montages were great. Made me think back to that thread a few weeks ago by some poster that didn't get why people care so much about sports.

those videos should be the responses. the sport encapsulates all human emotion into a few 90 minutes games.

amazing tournament. props brazil, you hosted a great one.

and congrats germany, champions of the world.

I'm still optimistic about a great cup in 2018 and even 2022 if it stays in qatar.

the sport is greater than the crap that surrounds it. it can overcome it.

krYlon

If there is anything I have learnt this world cup.

1. South American players who play in Europe have been infected by the Euro playing style over the South American style. Their game has suffered as a result. South American style is when you weave through players, Euro style is mostly the passing game. Look at how that worked out for Brazil - neymar

2. People will look at leagues beyond Euro leagues for talent going by this world cup.

3. Spanish style of football is essentially dead.

4. Free kicks were a disaster this world cup apart from 1-2 kicks

5. People only care about who scored and how they scored, not who created opportunities to score.

6. Brazil could have been knocked out in group stages if teams knew they were as weak as Germany exposed them to be.

7. Belgium and France look to me as the teams to beat in the next world cup.

8. Germany, Ronaldo and Messi show that you need a team to win a world cup, and no matter how good you are, if the chemistry is not there, neither will be a trophy.

9. GK was amazing this world cup.

10. Players went into a shell in knockout round as compared to Group Stages. Reason why I think is teams waiting to play on penalties. Only way to counter this is the Golden Goal to replace penalties.

number11

The BBC are normally the best at making montages.. But I wasn't a fan of this years effort at all.

Can anyone find the 2006 BBC montage with the Sia track when England got knocked out?

Lol, you guys would probably hate the 2006 and 2010 montages then. Personally I prefer creativity and culture over a boring lazy highlights reel with the blandest of bland songs in the background :)

Here's the last two, enjoy (or hate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNh1PkK4G7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3FXfPpKwGQ

Creativity and culture is not how I would describe that video. Looked like it was made by some guy on youtube. You think Brazil's culture is just them dancing? Where's the creativity in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom