• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

God Enel

As a Dane, please accept my sincerest apologies. That was the worst match I've seen in many years. The result was fine, mind you, but holy shit what a crappy game.

No worries. Both of you had nothing to lose. So a match like this happens. It's okay. For neutral viewers it was a nightmare to watch. Not entertaining at all.

I will meet you then in the next round. Croatia - Denmark on July the 1st. Cannot wait dude 😄

TBiddy

No worries. Both of you had nothing to lose. So a match like this happens. It's okay. For neutral viewers it was a nightmare to watch. Not entertaining at all.

I will meet you then in the next round. Croatia - Denmark on July the 1st. Cannot wait dude 😄

It didn't have much to do with fairplay, to be honest. But again, both teams had a result they were happy with, so I guess that is what happens.

I wish you the best of luck. Not that you need it, really. I fear that Modric will have fun and do whatever he wants..

You have to admit though that France didn't show anything either. Yesterday's game against Denmark was a borefest of epic proportions. I don't know if there were two shots fired during the second half (only got to watch that one).

Didn't the draw and won 1-0 if I'm not confusing the scores? So Argentina maybe will be the perfect match for them. Though rooting for France.

Oh man that match SUCKED, it legit got me thinking I have some serious issues for watching it til the end. And France isn't play well at all either, but you see a path for redemption because they're so talented and they can play like a team. Yesterday Mascherano was the one who decided on the team and the manager checked with Messi to see who should go in the game from the bench, Argetina are held together by duct tape.

It's probable France wins but it isn't impossible for them to lose. It could indeed happen.

God Enel

Oh man that match SUCKED, it legit got me thinking I have some serious issues for watching it til the end. And France isn't play well at all either, but you see a path for redemption because they're so talented and they can play like a team. Yesterday Mascherano was the one who decided on the team and the manager checked with Messi to see who should go in the game from the bench, Argetina are held together by duct tape.

It's probable France wins but it isn't impossible for them to lose. It could indeed happen.

In my tipster game (don't know if this is the proper word for it betting game man?) I said that France will win the World Cup but after seeing all the games of them I'm not sure anymore. All the favorite/big teams are playing like shit. Be it Germany Brazil France Argentina.

I can't say who's going to win if Argentina or France. Though I hope that the French will do it and are certainly better than the train wreck that Argentina is.

Teams that impressed me the most are Croatia, Belgium (who currently are really good - in the last euro too) and england. They have a really good team this year. We will see what's going to happen.

Btw. Love Korea. Haven't seen their first two games but against Germany they are bringing their A-game.

Dunki

As a German I will say totally deserved. This was awful. And not only in this game. Löw needs to go. Some other players need to go and Germany needs a new begining.

Also So far it looks like Belgium will win. They are just ace and I love to watch them play

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
*Sigh* Germany needs a rebuild after this lacklustre showing.

Time to turn the flag sideways and start supporting Belgium. It’s close enough.

swedish-flag-waving-gif-animation-5.gif

longdi

Banned
LOL germany was too arrogant. You can smell the arrogance even with their subs, the smirk on muller and brandt when coming on. And neur playing in midfield and losing the ball, bloody arrogance!
Low sucks, keeps chopping and changing, coach Messi redeemed!

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
This would've been the year England could have demolished Germany, even with their ropey defence. It would have been beautiful, for 95 minutes the entire commentary would have just been Guy Mowbray screaming 1966 1966 1966 1966 1966. Oh well.

Makariel

I am still laughing about the result, and fully expect tomorrows German newspapers to blame Putin for it :D

Congratulations Mexico to reaching the knock-out stage!

squallheart

I'm so happy for Korea. I was getting annoyed at Mexican broadcast insulting them and then at the end happy when they scored because mexico passes. Chulma son mensos, chokayo hanguk

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I am so happy now. Sweden on the top of their game, bringing everything they got in order to secure a win. They played with a big heart and got rewarded for it. And it warms my heart that the arrogant Germany gets to taste their own medicine for humiliating Sweden after their victory against us. Their exit in this World Cup must be the biggest fiasco since... well, forever.

Teams that impressed me the most are Croatia, Belgium (who currently are really good - in the last euro too) and england. They have a really good team this year. We will see what's going to happen.

Agreed, those teams are a clear step above everyone else. I really, really like Croatia. The team is balling and they have potential to play even better. You are Croatian right? It must feel pretty good watching them play that well, this generation has been very underrated and overshadowed by Belgium's golden team but they're playing even better. France and Brazil are very dangerous on sheer talent alone. And LMAO Germany.

Dunki

I am so happy now. Sweden on the top of their game, bringing everything they got in order to secure a win. They played with a big heart and got rewarded for it. And it warms my heart that the arrogant Germany gets to taste their own medicine for humiliating Sweden after their victory against us. Their exit in this World Cup must be the biggest fiasco since... well, forever.
To be fair these were not even players and they got fired as well.

God Enel

Agreed, those teams are a clear step above everyone else. I really, really like Croatia. The team is balling and they have potential to play even better. You are Croatian right? It must feel pretty good watching them play that well, this generation has been very underrated and overshadowed by Belgium's golden team but they're playing even better. France and Brazil are very dangerous on sheer talent alone. And LMAO Germany.

Yes i am Croatian.
To be honest I didn't expect Croatia to be that good, though maybe Argentina was just bad. I'm still not trusting the Croatian team and can very well imagine that we lose lose against Denmark. It's confusing me.
I was in the stadium against Argentina and it was one of the best moments of my life LOL. I would bet my soul that we gonna lose against Argentina and then 3-0 happen d. Clearly will never forget this game and the days after in Moscow. So much fun so much beautiful people celebrating and having fun together. Be it Russians Brazilians Colombians or whatever. 10/10 experience.

Currently IMHO the best final would be Croatia - Belgium. We will see what will happen, this final most probably not. It's better to have low expectations otherwise you just get fucked in the ass.

Love lukaku and hazard. ❤️

Makariel

I've seen Neuer going AWOL a few times in previous games and always thought this will end badly someday. Today it did :)

kischine

I feel bad for Serbia but I'm happy that this game wasn't as hard as the last 2. After the 3x0 Mexico is not looking so good, so I don't think they'll be mentally prepared to go against Brazil.
But what I'm REALLY happy about is that Brazil showed so much adaptability in this game, even with an early replacement from an experienced and important player as Marcelo. Attacks from every direction, that goal pass from Coutinho to Paulinho just shows the talented team that Brazil is supposed to be. I think I can finally say that this team found it's place and I'm confident for the next game. This victory plus the S. Korea game made my day.

Fbh

Oh man Korea won't continue?
Man, must be a weird feeling both beating the world champions but at the same time knowing you won't be able to continue in the tournament

xandaca

Don't know if there are many Englanders here, but I'd be interested to know if anyone shares my view that if England want a good chance of progressing as far as they can, they REALLY want to finish second/lose tomorrow's game. If I'm right, finishing top of our group means the teams we could face en route to the final are Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and Japan/Senegal/Colombia (Group H). If we then beat our next opponent from Group H, we'd be against either Brazil or Mexico. On the other hand, if we lose to Belgium (or draw and pick up loads of yellows) and finish second, if we beat the first place team from Group H (who are all of similar quality, albeit Colombia having a bit of an edge), our QF opponent would be Switzerland or Sweden, both of whom are theoretically quite beatable. After that it'd likely be Spain or Croatia in the SF (their opponents earlier being Denmark and Russia), obviously two excellent sides, but not drastically more or less difficult than the alternatives of Uruguay, Portugal, France or Argentina if we top our group.

TLDR: England finishing second tomorrow sets us against realistically beatable teams to the SFs. Finishing top sets us against either Mexico or Brazil in the QF, assuming we beat our Group H opponent. Finishing second also means one extra day's rest before the Round of 16/Group H game, but one day fewer before the final in the unlikely event we win our semi (difficult no matter what).

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
My gut going into this kind of thought Brazil would be a strong favourite and I still think that. I'm not sure what team would beat them.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I think South Koreas win against Germany must have felt like they won the World Cup. They went out on a strong note and can leave this tournament with their heads high. An amazing achievement, especially since everybody thought that Germany would crush them with ease. Glad to see Brazil shaping up, the two goals they scored against Serbia were beautiful, especially the second header. It ain´t World Cup if Brazil ain´t in it.

TLDR: England finishing second tomorrow sets us against realistically beatable teams to the SFs. Finishing top sets us against either Mexico or Brazil in the QF, assuming we beat our Group H opponent. Finishing second also means one extra day's rest before the Round of 16/Group H game, but one day fewer before the final in the unlikely event we win our semi (difficult no matter what).

Will be interesting to see what strategies unfold. I agree the other half of the knockout phase is arguably an "easier" path. Both Belgium and England are already guaranteed in Top 16 so likely the match will be watered down with low pace and low risk to injury either way. I don't see Belgium happy to take a draw or a loss against England though so I'd expect a 1-0 with a fully defensive and "relaxed" game. I would see England okay with sitting back and taking second place in the group to not have to go against any of the teams in the other half of the knockout stage.

Last edited:
I think South Koreas win against Germany must have felt like they won the World Cup. They went out on a strong note and can leave this tournament with their heads high. An amazing achievement, especially since everybody thought that Germany would crush them with ease.

My man, who on earth that's a football fan thought Germany would crush South Korea with ease?

The champions curse factor, very poor play in first two games and then 2 players out from their main lineup in the final game. Rudy suffered a broken nose and Boateng out of the match due to red card prior. S.Korea played well in previous games despite losing, were without pressure as they had nothing to lose since they can't qualify for Top 16 regardless. All the odds and favors were stacked against Germany with high pressure to perform.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
My man, who on earth that's a football fan thought Germany would crush South Korea with ease?

I think most of the population thought that Germany was gonna rise to the task and pull themselves together for an easy win. But maybe I live in a bubble, It´s just the impression I get when talking to people and reading stuff online.

betheking

Neo Member
worldcup2018-cropped_8h8z1b9ciaxr1pdp6l7dq4gd1.jpg

Host Country: Russia
Dates: June 14th - July 15th
Teams: 32

Venues: 12
Notes: First World Cup where there will be Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Groups:

skysports-world-cup-groups-draw_4171584.jpg

Group Stage Schedule:

THURSDAY, JUNE 14

Russia vs. Saudi Arabia 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

FRIDAY, JUNE 15

Egypt vs. Uruguay 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Morocco vs. Iran 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Portugal vs. Spain 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

SATURDAY, JUNE 16

France vs. Australia 6 AM ET | 11 AM BST

Argentina vs. Iceland 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Peru vs. Denmark 12 PM ET | 5 PM BST

Croatia vs. Nigeria 3 PM ET | 8 PM BST

SUNDAY, JUNE 17

Costa Rica vs. Serbia 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Germany vs. Mexico 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Brazil vs. Switzerland 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

MONDAY, JUNE 18

Sweden vs. South Korea 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Belgium vs. Panama 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

突尼斯与英格兰2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月19日,星期二

波兰vs.塞内加尔8 AM ET | 1点BST

哥伦比亚对日本11 AM ET | 4点BST

俄罗斯与埃及2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月20日,星期三

葡萄牙与摩洛哥8 AM ET | 1点BST

乌拉圭对沙特阿拉伯11 AM ET | 4点BST

伊朗与西班牙2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月21日,星期四

法国vs.秘鲁8 AM ET | 1点BST​

丹麦vs.澳大利亚11 AM ET | 4点BST

阿根廷vs.克罗地亚2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月22日,星期五

巴西vs.哥斯达黎加8 AM ET | 1点BST

尼日利亚对冰岛11 AM ET | 4点BST

塞尔维亚与瑞士2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月23日,星期六

比利时vs.突尼斯8 AM ET | 1点BST

德国vs.瑞典11 AM ET | 4点BST

韩国与墨西哥2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月24日,星期日

英格兰vs.巴拿马8 AM ET | 1点BST

日本与塞内加尔11 AM ET | 4点BST

波兰与哥伦比亚2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月25日,星期一

沙特阿拉伯对埃及10 AM ET | 3点BST

乌拉圭与俄罗斯10 AM ET | 3点BST

伊朗与葡萄牙2 PM ET | 7点BST

西班牙与摩洛哥2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月26日,星期二

澳大利亚与秘鲁10 AM ET | 3点BST

丹麦与法国10 AM ET | 3PM BST

冰岛与克罗地亚2 PM ET | 7点BST

尼日利亚与阿根廷2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月27日,星期三

韩国与德国10 AM ET | 3点BST

墨西哥与瑞典10 AM ET | 3点BST

瑞士vs.哥斯达黎加2 PM ET | 7点BST

塞尔维亚VS巴西2 PM ET | 7点BST

6月28日,星期四

日本与波兰10 AM ET | 3点BST

塞内加尔与哥伦比亚10 AM ET | 3点BST

英格兰vs.比利时2 PM ET | 7点BST

巴拿马与突尼斯2 PM ET | 7点BST

[/引用]
worldcup2018-cropped_8h8z1b9ciaxr1pdp6l7dq4gd1.jpg

Host Country: Russia
Dates: June 14th - July 15th
Teams: 32

Venues: 12
Notes: First World Cup where there will be Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Groups:

skysports-world-cup-groups-draw_4171584.jpg

Group Stage Schedule:

THURSDAY, JUNE 14

Russia vs. Saudi Arabia 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

FRIDAY, JUNE 15

Egypt vs. Uruguay 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Morocco vs. Iran 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Portugal vs. Spain 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

SATURDAY, JUNE 16

France vs. Australia 6 AM ET | 11 AM BST

Argentina vs. Iceland 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Peru vs. Denmark 12 PM ET | 5 PM BST

Croatia vs. Nigeria 3 PM ET | 8 PM BST

SUNDAY, JUNE 17

Costa Rica vs. Serbia 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Germany vs. Mexico 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Brazil vs. Switzerland 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

MONDAY, JUNE 18

Sweden vs. South Korea 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Belgium vs. Panama 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Tunisia vs. England 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

TUESDAY, JUNE 19

Poland vs. Senegal 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Colombia vs. Japan 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Russia vs. Egypt 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20

Portugal vs. Morocco 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Uruguay vs. Saudi Arabia 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Iran vs. Spain 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

THURSDAY, JUNE 21

France vs. Peru 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST​

Denmark vs. Australia 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Argentina vs. Croatia 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

FRIDAY, JUNE 22

Brazil vs. Costa Rica 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Nigeria vs. Iceland 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Serbia vs. Switzerland 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

SATURDAY, JUNE 23

Belgium vs. Tunisia 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Germany vs. Sweden 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

South Korea vs. Mexico 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

SUNDAY, JUNE 24

England vs. Panama 8 AM ET | 1 PM BST

Japan vs. Senegal 11 AM ET | 4 PM BST

Poland vs. Colombia 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

MONDAY, JUNE 25

Saudi Arabia vs. Egypt 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Uruguay vs. Russia 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Iran vs. Portugal 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

Spain vs. Morocco 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

TUESDAY, JUNE 26

Australia vs. Peru 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Denmark vs. France 10 AM ET | 3PM BST

Iceland vs. Croatia 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

Nigeria vs. Argentina 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27

South Korea vs. Germany 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Mexico vs. Sweden 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Switzerland vs. Costa Rica 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

Serbia vs. Brazil 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

THURSDAY, JUNE 28

Japan vs. Poland 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

Senegal vs. Colombia 10 AM ET | 3 PM BST

England vs. Belgium 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

Panama vs. Tunisia 2 PM ET | 7 PM BST

I bet Germany was the champion but they just failed me last night...

My gut going into this kind of thought Brazil would be a strong favourite and I still think that. I'm not sure what team would beat them.

Yeah things are lining up perfectly for us to just take the damn thing. I'm not sure I like what Brazil has shown as much as I liked what Belgium and Croatia did, but the upside on the brazilian team is off the charts and coupled with the fear factor you inevitably have when the other team sees who's on the other side... Well, it's really theirs to lose.

Last edited:

Russo

Oh man Korea won't continue?
Man, must be a weird feeling both beating the world champions but at the same time knowing you won't be able to continue in the tournament
They are the King of Asia. A good farewell match for them.

longdi

Banned
Wow brazil looking like easy winner. They possess all the individual qualities of the rest. They have a super star to messi/ronaldo. They have a solid gk and backline like Uruguay. They have talented players at all forward positions like french. They played with good structure and understanding like spain. Their midfielders are as good as Croatia. The team is strong, hungry but quietly confident like England. Their coach is smart and have a plan unlike Argentina and France.

The only team capable of matching Brazil, imo was Germany but Low screwed up. And maybe france, but Deschamps is even a bigger fraud

betheking

Neo Member
I think Poland will win Japan. They need a victory for their country otherwise they will be the loser in World Cup.

Makariel

I'm curious to see how England will do against Belgium today, even if Belgium sends out the B-Team, that will be a real challenge and show just how good the team actually is.
I bet Germany was the champion but they just failed me last night...
You also bet Panama would be second in group, perhaps you should stop betting ;)

I don't think Brazil are anywhere near the obvious best side in this tournament. Those crowning them are premature imo. Lots of quality football being played, and Brazil has their own weaknesses. If I had a bet to take Brazil or the field from this point, I'd take the field.

iBuzzati

Looks like I'm all in on Sweden, who gatekeeped us, but gatekeeped us like champs. They're just underdog-y and skillful enough to root for.

Last edited:
Nice for Belgium to not play small and try to lose the game to get to the easier side of the playoffs. Never try to lose and you shouldn't have to worry about who you're facing if you feel like you're the best and that's the only way you're going to chip, loser mentality is not something you can flip a switch whenever you feel like it. You build against it.

Top Bottom