• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan Rumor: The Last of Us Part 2 is rumored to be a story of revenge...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm an athiest, but would you mind not trying to insert your anti-Christian politics into gaming?

Might I add, that while I think people are far too fascinated over what others do in bed, I don't see much difference between a homophobe and a Chrstianophobe. Very few people overcome the brainwashing they have as a young child over religion, so their religion is just as tied to their identity as their sexuality is.
I see a difference. Sex is real, harmless and every can do whatever he wants.
Religious is a nightmare that makes people stupid and hateful. It's greedy and prays on stupidity even if fundamentals are great

THEAP99

Banned
Wow lol i remember this leak appearing on here last week or so and now it has spread like wildfire everywhere,
I said it once and I will say it again.. given troy bakers comments about the "open-mind" and ND devs emphasizing in interviews that the people who loved the first may not like this (something like that, just a decisive game), this probably could be true.
But I have a feeling it may not go over well and this will hit Naughty Dog badly. Given Jason's crunch and article and then them now trying to score points in the game's story, yeah i don't know man..
On the bright side the gameplay is going to be awesome, but this kind of stuff is a bit immersion-breaking to me and based off the leak it seems like a very cliche cop-out and a lot of people won't be happy. i guess we will find out more as marketing material ramps up (if it ever does.)

D3SCHA1N

I thought they talked about how the game was centered around revenge when the initially revealed the game? Druck said something about how the first game was about love and this one is about hate and that reveal trailer made it clear Ellie was out for revenge... I didn't read that leak article, so don't know if it went into deeper specifics but the revenge bit always seemed pretty obvious...

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Three things keep me from lending this too much credence, if any.

•4Chan.

•Naughty Dog strikes me as far too PC a studio to vilify and stigmatize in ignorant generalizations an entire population of people painting them in the worst light simply to grant narrative impetus to what amounts to a laughably ludicrous premise. Placing the height of importance on killing gays in an apocalyptic setting where civilized society has utterly collapsed? Talk about needing to readjust your priorities, I doubt even WBC is that demented. It’s ridiculous, and as much as I think Cuckmann would love nothing more than to shove the persecution of those he views as marginalized groups in our faces, I don’t believe he’d do so at the cost of such ostracism of another.

•Joel dies just as a Ellie and him are supposedly mending their relationship under strain from him being too controlling? Yeah....which would destroy the immense narrative potential for the lie told at the end of the first game to be capitalized upon. If TLOU 2 fails to address that lie by not tossing a wrench in the works of Joel and Ellie’s relation to whatever end and instead has the lie die with him, I’m going to be seriously disappointed.

Last edited:
Straights against lesbians fun? Have you all turned gay, for real? So gooooood! 😂🤣

As a gay man, i would say "fuck that lesbian shit again" (it's always, always and always about them) but straights? 2 girls fighting for more lesbian things and freedom is not your shit? 😂🤣 what's happening? 😂🤣

The sole purpose of this is to create and keep division among people.

Its propaganda.

Notice how they always use white people for these stories. For all the talk of diversity in the world, they never make them mixed raced or POC/POC.

Shmunter

I'm against identity politics as much as any reasonably minded person. But the outrage here is unwarranted and unpleasant to be honest. It's just like the woke snowflakes getting into a tizzy over oGAY sprites.

Ellie is gay, we knew that. She is grown up and has a love interest, in typical fashion she would be out for blood if someone causes harm to that. A cult is a cult, and they usually are based on Christianity because its a widespread religion with many grifters and gullible's alike.

Nothing to see here, please be better.

EDIT: obviously this only applies to select posts, not a universal condemnation of thread posters

Last edited:
I'm against identity politics as much as any reasonably minded person. But the outrage here is unwarranted and unpleasant to be honest. It's just like the woke snowflakes getting into a tizzy over oGAY sprites.

Ellie is gay, we knew that. She is grown up and has a love interest, in typical fashion she would be out for blood if someone causes harm to that. A cult is a cult, and they usually are based on Christianity because its a widespread religion with many grifters and gullible's alike.

How are Christians any more "gullible" that any other religious people? Further more, for a large portion of people, they dont interpret religious text as, no pun intended, gospel. For a large portion, whether christian, muslim, jewish... religion is just a foundation for living life with basic principals and morals. From China to america, the majority of people dont believe that god will smite them down for simply drinking or masturbating.

The issue i have with this, is that yes the game is set in America, but the game is going to be played by people all over the world. That means even people in countries where Christians face persecution and have next to or no rights at all. Why is it ok to push an interpretation of evil Christians, yet if we did that with Islam or Judaism, there would be accusations of isims and phobias.

Its not america where people are forced to hide their sexuality. If anything theyd get more opportunities in life if they were to be open about it, just look at hollywood and silicon valley. Diversity points and virtue signalling has been a boom for POC and the LGBT community in the west and Europe There is no such progress out side of those two places.

Last of all, yeah the game is set in america, which features one of the largest population of Christians that are not white - African Americans.

Hey guys, certified troll here

Everything posted on 4Chan is 100% accurate and never wrong; without fail
The only reason people ever see them as wrong is due to their own personal perspectives

I'm 100% taking this as fact
tenor.gif

Shmunter

How are Christians any more "gullible" that any other religious people? Further more, for a large portion of people, they dont interpret religious text as, no pun intended, gospel. For a large portion, whether christian, muslim, jewish... religion is just a foundation for living life with basic principals and morals. From China to america, the majority of people dont believe that god will smite them down for simply drinking or masturbating.

The issue i have with this, is that yes the game is set in America, but the game is going to be played by people all over the world. That means even people in countries where Christians face persecution and have next to or no rights at all. Why is it ok to push an interpretation of evil Christians, yet if we did that with Islam or Judaism, there would be accusations of isims and phobias.

Its not america where people are forced to hide their sexuality. If anything theyd get more opportunities in life if they were to be open about it, just look at hollywood and silicon valley. Diversity points and virtue signalling has been a boom for POC and the LGBT community in the west and Europe There is no such progress out side of those two places.

Last of all, yeah the game is set in america, which features one of the largest population of Christians that are not white - African Americans.
I didn't say Christians are more gullible I'm christian, lol.

I said it's widespread so scales of economy, more people = more people of all kinds that includes the gullible.

I also believe Christianity is fundamentally a good base of morals. Western civilization is based on Christian values, and western civilization is the most tolerant as a result even if not perfect.

Don't take my comments incorrectly.

Last edited:

EDIT: obviously this only applies to select posts, not a universal condemnation of thread posters

This is what a sensible, well-reasoned thoughtful post reads like.
It's appreciated.

Niked

If true, I cant wait to be force fed with SJW and WOKE propaganda. In Last Of Us Part III the plot will take revenge against anyone that is against that men can become women and women can become men. But not only that, we will learn that men can give birth and have periods too. Its amazing how fucked up California has become.

The sole purpose of this is to create and keep division among people.

Its propaganda.

Notice how they always use white people for these stories. For all the talk of diversity in the world, they never make them mixed raced or POC/POC.
Take note that during COVID19, many illusionists believing in Jesus the magician and his mates said the illness was create against gay or by gay people. Real world division (point was never prove real. Scientists are still waiting for them to prove their points, otherwise to quote you, it's propaganda) VS a gaming fantasy.

You're at the right place to talk about propaganda. 😂🤣 While you're here, have you ever heard about Propaganda by Edward Bernays, it's a timeless classic, and Rethoric by Aristotle. Give them a try.

Who are you to say someone is white/black/pink/blue? Only the person can say it (anyone saying i'm white is a facist, i'm pink or orange sometimes and when i want to say it), otherwise to quote you, it's propaganda. Video games chatacters are not real and can't speak for themselves. 😂🤣

Last edited:

Doom85

-Days Gone (Addy)
-Miss America (America Chavez)
-Persona 4 (possibly Kanji)
-Legend of Korra (race debatable since it's not Earth but Korra's definitely not white. Well, unless M. Night Shyamalan did a movie "adaptation", then she'd definitely be white, LOL)
-Mass Effect and Dragon Age (since your MC's skin color and sexual orienation is up to you)

Hell, The Last of Us is an example itself with Riley.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Americans don’t care about oppressing lesbians.

This is literally incorrect. You couldn't be more wrong. Plus why would you take the authority to speak for every bigoted American in the country? You don't think that's weird that you're speaking for all of "those" type of people? And what I mean by "those types of people" are the people that say Gay marriage is wrong and that it's not natural to be gay.

Do you think they are only thinking of two men being together?

mckmas8808

I didn't say Christians are more gullible I'm christian, lol.

I said it's widespread so scales of economy, more people = more people of all kinds that includes the gullible.

I also believe Christianity is fundamentally a good base of morals. Western civilization is based on Christian values, and western civilization is the most tolerant as a result even if not perfect.

Don't take my comments incorrectly.

I don't know about the bolded at all. Of course, you'll believe that based on where you live and what you were taught, but I'm legit not sure how you're keeping score on that tolerant level. Respectfully speaking.

Shmunter

I don't know about the bolded at all. Of course, you'll believe that based on where you live and what you were taught, but I'm legit not sure how you're keeping score on that tolerant level. Respectfully speaking.
Perhaps, but I’m not aware of a more tolerant society. Care to fill me in?

Durask

Sounds like an invitation to avoid the game.

I don't know why, but the next big round in this LGBT / SJW battle will be when Square Enix unfortunately decides to make Lara Croft lesbian. Mark my words.

Didn't Rihanna Pratchett (writer for the reboots) went on record saying she would have liked to make her a lesbian?

joe_zazen

Im confused, i thought we were supposed to love one another no matter what. If i go around murdering people because i HATE them, isnt that the same? LoL

That is what Paul and Jesus and even some Torah writers told us.
gal 5:14
14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

just as an aside, 2 verses prior, Paul gave me a good laugh with this riposte to those telling men they had to circumcise themselves to be Christian 5:12,
12 I wish those who unsettle and confuse you would [ go all the way and] cut [castrate] themselves off!” AMP
It plays better in the greek, still pretty funny in translation tho. Paul was a master rhetorician.

Atheistic humanists? Idk what word you can boil their philosophy down to. They try to appropriate certain religious ideals, but when the rubber hits the road and you look at metrics like happiness, life satisfaction, and philanthropy, religious folk ‘win’ hands down. On average, church goers are happier, more satisfied with life, more connected, and give 3 times as much to charitable causes. They also have happier children.

This is on average, so people with normal brains. Religion wont cure depression or schizophrenia. Suicide was a problem for desert fathers and mothers, for example. There is no need to not take advantage of modern medicine, like when you have an infection or broken limb.

The results of religion increasingly being rejected by younger generations in the so-called west wont be what the atheistic humanists expect. I think we see it now with more mental illness and suicide, although we need to factor in the effects of American tech companies on childhood development of course.

And since I am pontificating anyway, part of the reason the early church didnt have a set in stone scripture was becuase they understood there were overwrites and redactions and transmission errors (both oral and written), and that scripture was not infalable nor was it direct from God. Post Nicean Council 325, when Christianity became a state religion, and dogma was set in stone is when the problems of intolerance and the use of state violence arose. It doesn't make Catholicism wrong per se, only ossified and intolerant.

in the early church and in ancient judaism, debates and different interpretations were part of life. There was no one Judaism or Christianity. Nor were their calls to exterminate heresy. But once scripture became codified as inerrant word of god and religion became a tool of the state...:sadface:

I see a difference. Sex is real, harmless and every can do whatever he wants.
Religious is a nightmare that makes people stupid and hateful. It's greedy and prays on stupidity even if fundamentals are great

yeah, dunno about that if you are living a world without birth control. if you want to know why women of the past had a real hard time compared to men, just imagine having to birth eight to fifteen children during your most productive years. Yeah, good luck trying to accomplish much beyond just treading water. It also made the job of being a husband a lot harder, having to feed and clothe many mouths, but compared to females, men had it easy.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Perhaps, but I’m not aware of a more tolerant society. Care to fill me in?

I'm not sure how we are all judging "tolerance" in our societies that's all. One could say some European nations with less Christianity are "more" tolerant than America at the moment. Especially if you include the last 60 years in America. And some could say the most "religious states" in America are less tolerant than the ones with less religion in them.

So I'm not sure it's the religion that's making certain countries more tolerant. It's something else.

Shmunter

I'm not sure how we are all judging "tolerance" in our societies that's all. One could say some European nations with less Christianity are "more" tolerant than America at the moment. Especially if you include the last 60 years in America. And some could say the most "religious states" in America are less tolerant than the ones with less religion in them.

So I'm not sure it's the religion that's making certain countries more tolerant. It's something else.
I see what you’re saying.

Religion itself isn’t making people more tolerant, it’s western society which has been fundamentally shaped by Christianity that has those fundamentals. Even if the country is more or less secular, the origin and base values are fundamentally the same. There will always be backwater areas in all countries where closed minded mentality exists. But overall, the society at large, it’s laws, it’s freedoms for all, are the defining characteristic.

This is most like typical 4chan troll rumour.

While Sony studious have a lot of freedom this is one of Sony's biggest games this gen and one of few with 10+ milion copies sold potential so it can't be extremely controversial to huge part of audience (remember Sony presence in countries that aren't just America and West Europe is much bigger than Microsoft)

So even if it starts as revenge story (as all trailers suggest) it's very unlikely enemy would be so clearly defined - at best you could get some religious motivated cult to have plausible deniability that they aren't representing huge part of user base.

Also with trailers showing revenge as motive it would be very weird if this was everything game is about - it will likely be very small starting part.

ElCasual

I totally buy the leak.
Just see the people in this time.
Sold out all the paper toilet but the vitamins and the health stuff is fully avalible.
I mean the people is stupid in dark times.

mckmas8808

I totally buy the leak.
Just see the people in this time.
Sold out all the paper toilet but the vitamins and the health stuff is fully avalible.
I mean the people is stupid in dark times.

And why didn't soap get sold out during these Coronavirus times? I saw like 7,000 bars of soap on the shelves but no sanitizer.

yeah, probably.
this plot doesnt warrant Troy Baker’s warning. It seems very mainstream, Some people are speculating that Joel is a rapist or woman beater. That is the kind of shit you’d warn fans about.

Yeah, the Baker warning thing definitely makes it seem less likely that this rumour is true. This rumour just sounds boring to me. I've been pretty anti-christian most of my adult life, but I'm honestly bored of cult stories. What I liked about TLoU was the human aspect and the focus on characters. Anti-gay cult revenge story is running in the opposite of that. Honestly, cults are far more interesting explored from the inside, where the psychology and inter-human drama gets to play. That's actually an interesting idea to take a game, from inside of a cult, instead of the cult as some external threat that can get switched out as anything, because it's at its basis a malicious ideological group.
Baker's warning seems more like either Ellie or Joel are portrayed in a fucked up way, or that it's trying some shitty as plot twist/plot development (which seems even more likely considering various things he's said, unless they're just PR). The whole "question everything" (who the characters are, what this world is, etc.) either makes it seems like something about the outbreak itself is having a twist or that a character will be revealed as a total shit in some way.

Part of this seems like it might be an utter miss, depending on what it is. "Question everything" definitely doesn't give me a good feeling in regards to how the game turns out. That kinda twist focused story definitely goes against what I enjoyed about TLoU. It also makes the whole cult thing less likely to be much of a focus (which is good, unless Ellie is part of the cult for some reason, giving a unique perspective), due to it seemingly having a larger scope. Unless it's some shitty twist that said cult was behind the development of the fungi all along as some plan to take over the world, perhaps they thought it'd wipe out all "the gays".

ExpandKong

Banned
yeah, probably.
this plot doesnt warrant Troy Baker’s warning. It seems very mainstream, Some people are speculating that Joel is a rapist or woman beater. That is the kind of shit you’d warn fans about.

Are you suggesting that Troy Baker is asking people to “keep an open mind” about a character who beats and rapes women?

ExpandKong

Banned
Think about it. He makes a good point.

I mean technically you’re correct because that would require a hell of an open mind, but I just don’t think Troy Baker would ask audiences to keep an open mind about a rapist.

I mean Joel’s already a cold blooded killer who murdered a bunch of innocent scientists and doctors looking for a cure because muh replacement daughter figure and people sympathize with that. Unless he’s uh...raping people to protect Ellie somehow I don’t think this is it.

INC

Maybe Joel is dead, and what ellie is seeing is him as her self conscious, the big nose bird is a traitor who had something to do with his death (daughter of one the scientists joel murdered lol)
This cult just happen to be the human enemy of the game, the fodder if you will.

Open mind because joel isnt technically there, only in ellie's head

Last edited:

Portugeezer

The gameplay videos definitely had religious undertones. Maybe Sony delayed the game indefinitely for ND to dial it down... Or maybe someone in 4chan noticed too and made a bullshit rumour 👀

Grinchy

Banned
It'd be hard for me to avoid this game just because of the potential of annoying SJW nonsense. The first game is so good and the Left Behind DLC is good, so I just have no reason to doubt the people behind it yet.

People were already losing their shit in the first trailer when Ellie was making out with Mayim Bialik.

INC

It'd be hard for me to avoid this game just because of the potential of annoying SJW nonsense. The first game is so good and the Left Behind DLC is good, so I just have no reason to doubt the people behind it yet.

People were already losing their shit in the first trailer when Ellie was making out with Mayim Bialik.

Ironically if you werent on here reading it has in some peoples eyes an sjw undertone, you would just play it and see it for what it is, a revenge story, that graphically looks amazing, with decent story telling and acthg, with average gameplay, youd play it and move on.

But here we are

Last edited:
Top Bottom