• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan Rumor: The Last of Us Part 2 is rumored to be a story of revenge...

Mithos

Don't like his games? Don't buy them. Easy. Problem solved.
You do whatever you want.
Neil does whatever he wants.

It's a free world and that's the beauty of it.

That's no how it works.
If a game isn't to my liking, the developer needs to be named, shamed and dragged through the mud until they change the game to my liking.

Isn't this how the MO is nowadays... ?

Last edited:
That's no how it works.
If a game isn't to my liking, the developer needs to be named, shamed and dragged through the mud until they change the game to my liking.

It's one thing to criticise a game for this or that aspect. Nothing and no one is above criticism. It's another to suggest the director should career-change just because I happen to dislike his stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think you are expecting the story to be a lot more radical than it'll turn out to be. Above all else TLOU is a money maker for Sony, this isn't a pat-on-the-head project for good work done on Uncharted like the original was, it has to stand on its own as a franchise.

I'd also add that as this is apparently a longer than usual story for ND, and that being the case they cannot sustain a relentlessly grim-dark tone for 30 hours without risking losing the audience. Its easy to forget that one of Ellie's major roles in the original was as comic relief to counterbalance Joel's intensity. That relationship was the core of the original and you can see similar player/side-kick parterships in pretty much every ND game ever made.

ND, good as they are, are kinda predictable creatively.

INC

I think you are expecting the story to be a lot more radical than it'll turn out to be. Above all else TLOU is a money maker for Sony, this isn't a pat-on-the-head project for good work done on Uncharted like the original was, it has to stand on its own as a franchise.

I'd also add that as this is apparently a longer than usual story for ND, and that being the case they cannot sustain a relentlessly grim-dark tone for 30 hours without risking losing the audience. Its easy to forget that one of Ellie's major roles in the original was as comic relief to counterbalance Joel's intensity. That relationship was the core of the original and you can see similar player/side-kick parterships in pretty much every ND game ever made.

ND, good as they are, are kinda predictable creatively.

Cant wait for their sjw ladders and move non binary boxes sections

Silent Duck

I, for one, am looking forward to Manhunt... 8, is it?

Let’s see...
Manhunt
Manhunt 2
Manhunt 3 (TLOU)
Manhunt 4 (Tomb Raider 2016]
Manhunt 5 (Rise of the Tomb Raider)
Manhunt 6 (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)
Manhunt 7 (The Lesbian of Us)

Sorry, we’re only up to 7. My mistake.

Guilty_AI

I don't have a problem with artists depicting whatever they want in the things they make. What i don't like is the double standard there seems to exist.

A while back, this game came out, which was basically a parody game where brazillian right wing current president fought against his left wing oppositon (as well as the target of his critics), aka worker's party members, communists, feminists groups, LGBT groups, political adversaries, criminals, etc. Needless to say people got offended (Even Jim sterling made a video about it), called it racist, homophobic, sexist and everything else in the book, even causing the game to be removed from steam.

However, if a game vilifying christian comes out, its somehow fine? I don't buy it. I mean, its still just a rumor, but it wouldn't be the first instance of a story that does this and gets away scott free.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I mean technically you’re correct because that would require a hell of an open mind, but I just don’t think Troy Baker would ask audiences to keep an open mind about a rapist.

I mean Joel’s already a cold blooded killer who murdered a bunch of innocent scientists and doctors looking for a cure because muh replacement daughter figure and people sympathize with that. Unless he’s uh...raping people to protect Ellie somehow I don’t think this is it.

That would require a super open mind lol. Maybe rapist needs to be in quotes. Maybe it's technically statutory rape because a 15-year-old girl "REQUIRES" him to have sex with her in order to get information to save Ellie. What about that type of scenario?

Neil Druckman needs to leave this industry and go make depressing art house films.

You need to just not play the game. Neil's games have sold 10s of millions of copies. Go find another hobby.

I don't have a problem with artists depicting whatever they want in the things they make. What i don't like is the double standard there seems to exist.

A while back, this game came out, which was basically a parody game where brazillian right wing current president fought against his left wing oppositon (as well as the target of his critics), aka worker's party members, communists, feminists groups, LGBT groups, political adversaries, criminals, etc. Needless to say people got offended (Even Jim sterling made a video about it), called it racist, homophobic, sexist and everything else in the book, even causing the game to be removed from steam.

However, if a game vilifying christian comes out, its somehow fine? I don't buy it. I mean, its still just a rumor, but it wouldn't be the first instance of a story that does this and gets away scott free.

"IF" this rumor is true, what would it be getting away with? Like I don't get it.

Last edited:

Nydus

Killing gay people is Christian, huh?

Guilty_AI

"IF" this rumor is true, what would it be getting away with? Like I don't get it.
Taking a group of people, make them into a stereotype, then turn that into tottally-ok-to-kill villains.
I see no difference in that sense between a 'Bolsomito 2K18' and a 'Far Cry 5', except for the fact that the former was banned from its store after internet outrage.

Killing gay people is Christian, huh?
No, but thats the steriotype i've seen plenty of people spreading and actually believing.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Quote JoJo's bizarre adventure

iYh0zZO.jpg

Durask

That's no how it works.

That's only if you are "on the right side of history".

hyperbertha

Don't like his games? Don't buy them. Easy. Problem solved.
You do whatever you want.
Neil does whatever he wants.

It's a free world and that's the beauty of it.
Do you really think people here are stupid enough to buy this spin?

No, Druckmann doesn't get to spit on the fanbase that brought him to his current position in the first place. Without the success of ND and all its games, there is no TLOU 2.

He can't step on a platform made of good games and THEN create another game that pushes his BS. He has no right. You can be sure if he does this he is liable to suffer the consequences.

If he wants to do it then let him create his own company and you can all buy his trash from whatever meager budget and exposure that affords him.

Arkage

Banned

No, Druckmann doesn't get to spit on the fanbase that brought him to his current position in the first place. Without the success of ND and all its games, there is no TLOU 2.

He can't step on a platform made of good games and THEN create another game that pushes his BS. He has no right. You can be sure if he does this he is liable to suffer the consequences.

If he wants to do it then let him create his own company and you can all buy his trash from whatever meager budget and exposure that affords him.

You really sound like an angry 12 year old right now. "The consequences will never be the same."

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Taking a group of people, make them into a stereotype, then turn that into tottally-ok-to-kill villains.
I see no difference in that sense between a 'Bolsomito 2K18' and a 'Far Cry 5', except for the fact that the former was banned from its store after internet outrage.

You sure that group of people wouldn't be strictly specified? Like I don't the game will say "ALL Christians want to murder the gayz". And wouldn't it be okay to kill Christian fundamentalists that are trying to kill other over resources and have a bigoted agenda?

Arkage

Banned
Lmao at this pearl clutching over how Christianity is represented in the post apocalypse. This argument feels like its pulled out of the early 2000s George Bush era. What year is it?

Religions spin into fundamentalism when times are bad. This is a fact. Witness Christianity when times are bad. Even now there's a pastor who is in Trump's cabinet (leader of the WH Bible Study Group lmao) who claimed the sinful nature of gay people helped cause coronavirus. "But why isn't there an Islamic cult or Jewish cult in the game" - because the game takes place in AMERICA where Christianity is by far the most wide spread religion likely to spin into a violent cult.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I don’t care about the lesbian storyline but the It grinds my gears seeing a religion specifically Christianity being used as the villain, would people be OK if they used an other religion?
I doubt they would use a different religion for example Muslims , if true instant no buy.
Trust me. Muslims won’t buy it either . Or any religion person for that matter if the story is true .
Honestly this game is promoting lesbian stuff ever since it was released . And while I don’t mind a change of story, don’t try and push your beliefs down my throat . Fuck you and your beliefs ( talking about the developers ) .
Not gonna buy this if true .

It's not your franchise. It's ND's franchise and ND put and kept Neil in charge,

Neil Druckmann is the vice-president of Naught Dog.
He's the creative director on THe Last of Us part 2
Let that sink in.

They did, didn't they? They certainly didn't put you at the helm. So your cries that he cannot do this and ought to do that amount to very little. The thought that an anonyhmous poster is in a position to tell the vice president of Naught Dog what he can and cannot do is humorous. Neil Druckmann gets to do whatever he feels like doing and ND's top management, to which he belongs, approves of.

Really, It's that straightforward.
But you're still to free to opt out.

He can't step on a platform made of good games and THEN create another game that pushes his BS.

He can do whatever he pleases. You yourself are free not to buy the game. That's your choice.

He has no right. You can be sure if he does this he is liable to suffer the consequences.

Consequences like a probable smashing hit? You mean a pay rise?

Neil Druckmann has full support from ND's board and Sony management themselves. Naughty Dog's the company he manages and works for. He has no need to start a new one. He has full backing. There's no way a flagship IP of this magnitude would get green-lighted and finish production without being vetted by the higher ups along the way,

Still don't like it? Don't buy it. Boycott it. Boycott Naught Dog. Boycott PlayStation altogether, if you're so inclined. Or, alternatively, try out the game once it releases and find out for yourself if the leaks were real and whether the end product appeals to your tastes or not.

Neil Druckmann can do whatever he wants. Their IP. Their money. Their company.
Not yours.

Part of this seems like it might be an utter miss, depending on what it is. "Question everything" definitely doesn't give me a good feeling in regards to how the game turns out. That kinda twist focused story definitely goes against what I enjoyed about TLoU. It also makes the whole cult thing less likely to be much of a focus (which is good, unless Ellie is part of the cult for some reason, giving a unique perspective), due to it seemingly having a larger scope. Unless it's some shitty twist that said cult was behind the development of the fungi all along as some plan to take over the world, perhaps they thought it'd wipe out all "the gays".

Hmm question everything could also refer to questioning everything we did in part 1 and by that I mean whole decision to save Ellie instead of looking for cure.
Now it would be pretty insane plot twist if whatever has happened in TLOU2 made Joe think that they made mistake and finding cure is only way to save humanity? And once you are reunited with him he pulls absolute betrayal?

That would be one of most shocking moments in history of game storytelling.

As far as narrative go ND doesn't make weak games and I think last thing we can expect from them is simplistic story.

93xfan

Banned
I see a difference. Sex is real, harmless and every can do whatever he wants.
Religious is a nightmare that makes people stupid and hateful. It's greedy and prays on stupidity even if fundamentals are great

Christianity gives hope. There are many people who have left lives of crime, drugs, etc. I’ve had people at my own church confess how much their life was in shambles before coming to Christ and how their friends and family saw a radical change afterwards. Some kept trying to give up hard drugs before and couldn’t until they prayed and accepted Jesus.

You say it makes people hateful and stupid, and maybe you’ve had experience with that. The world props up bad examples, rather than talking about Mother Teresa or C.S, Lewis or Fred Rogers, or Abraham Lincoln. And if you‘re willing to, I’m sure you’ll find some intelligent and loving Christians around you too.

In short, there will always be bad and good examples for you to focus on. Those against Christ and those for Christ will actively try to point you one way or the other. Either way, there’s more to it than what others are doing and I hope you discover for yourself what it means and how it can be lived out in a way that is anything but stupid or hateful.

Guilty_AI

You sure that group of people wouldn't be strictly specified? Like I don't the game will say "ALL Christians want to murder the gayz".
It doesn't matter, not when all that you show representing the large community is that strictly specified group.
Like creating a war game set on the middle east, then making it so that every islamist the player ever encounters is a fanatic extremist.
The game doesn't say every islamist is one fanatic extremist, but every islamist they decided to show there sure as hell is.

And wouldn't it be okay to kill Christian fundamentalists that are trying to kill other over resources and have a bigoted agenda?
You really shouldn't mix ideological power fantasies with reality. Just because someone made a fictional setting that conveniently allows you to kill certain people while having the moral high ground, real life tends to be far too complex to allow "solutions" like kill to be thrown around so casually.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It doesn't matter, not when all that you show representing the large community is that strictly specified group.
Like creating a war game set on the middle east, then making it so that every islamist the player ever encounters is a fanatic extremist.
The game doesn't say every islamist is one fanatic extremist, but every islamist they decided to show there sure as hell is.

You really shouldn't mix ideological power fantasies with reality. Just because someone made a fictional setting that conveniently allows you to kill certain people while having the moral high ground, real life tends to be far too complex to allow "solutions" like kill to be thrown around so casually.

How are you so sure (if this rumor is true) that TLOU2 will depict all Christians in a bad light? We haven't played the game yet. I think this talk is a bit earlier.

Guilty_AI

How are you so sure (if this rumor is true) that TLOU2 will depict all Christians in a bad light? We haven't played the game yet. I think this talk is a bit earlier.
I'm not, but don't forget i'm criticizing a certain double standard that exists, not necessarily TLoU2's story.
If the game turned out to be the type of ideological power fantasy i'm talking about, it'd just another one in the tray.
If it doesn't, the double standard is still there.

Last edited:
Hmm question everything could also refer to questioning everything we did in part 1 and by that I mean whole decision to save Ellie instead of looking for cure.
Now it would be pretty insane plot twist if whatever has happened in TLOU2 made Joe think that they made mistake and finding cure is only way to save humanity? And once you are reunited with him he pulls absolute betrayal?

That would be one of most shocking moments in history of game storytelling.

As far as narrative go ND doesn't make weak games and I think last thing we can expect from them is simplistic story.

I think you might have a good point that it's building further from the dilemma in the original. However, that seems a bit dubious how that'd work, considering we know from information that should be pretty reliable in the first game, that there wasn't a guarantee of a cure at all and that they had experimented with others. Making Joel regret his decision just wouldn't jive well and would definitely be a hated decision. The guy had no interest in saving humanity as a whole, furthermore he made that choice then and deliberately lied to Ellie about it. Making him undo it is just a shitty plot development outta nowhere. He's had many years with demons and brutal shit happening, so no one would buy him regretting his choice. Ellie became a replacement for his daughter, so he'd in no way betray her. Shitting on that would make the game utterly hated.
Rather, the big actual conflict would be from Ellie's side in my opinion, as she would definitely have a different perspective on it. From Joel's side the thing I could imagine is him being overly controlling, due to being scared to lose someone he loves again. You can see this shown in the E3 2018 trailer, where that one asian guy talks about how Joel really went in on him in regards to patrols, specifically around her patrols. It's also shown in the release date trailer in the scene that Joe shows up, that there doesn't seem to be any open animosity between them.
That might be something that cause a conflict between them, which could perhaps make for a situation where Ellie is being reckless or just encountering a group causing Dina to be killed. Tommy gets a lot of focus seemingly, which would entail that something is sort of off between them, albeit the release date trailer shows that Joel is alive (albeit none of the gameplay, leading to a bit doubt as to whether Joel dies and it's from before he does, which I imagine would fit the trope more, like Joel dying saving Ellie from the winter events that lead to Dina's death. However the city environments make it seem like it's further along in the story, making that less likely, and it further shows that there's no big animosity between Joel and Ellie). That's a typical trope, but it can work since TLoU is about inter-human relationships. However, the cult element just seems much less interesting (and going by the E3 2018 trailer and release date trailer it definitely seems to be a cult, or at least something akin to it, which I feel makes for a rather boring enemy). A conflict with the fireflies would be far more interesting, because they have actual stake in the conflict with Ellie and Joel. Then again, we've seen the fireflies sign, meaning that the cult might just be a temporary enemy under one of the parts (it's also a seemingly matriarchal cult, which I guess is kinda new, but it's still a cult. Perhaps the aftermath of the first game, the matriarchal figure being Marlene?). It's clearly spanning time and multiple locations, like the first game.

ND definitely has narratively weak games, so I wouldn't say that there's any guarantee of things going well (at least 2 of the Uncharted games fall within this). Big "what you thought from previous game was all wrong" twists are usually ones that'll either succeed greatly or fail miserably, and usually the latter. So pretty risky, though I guess risky is better than being bland and by-the-numbers.

There's probably a lot of info if a timeline is made and further analysis of the material that's already released is done. Actually getting a good grip on the timeline would be most important, which seemingly from the released trailers, seems like it starts at Winter, but I imagine that's not the case for numerous reasons and ND might have released trailers in order to confuse us slightly as well. First of all, winter would make the events happening too closely, like she and Dina getting closer and then the events that seem like showing Dina possibly being killed during the same winter. Unless the whole community is a big open relationship community, that'd make the motivations of Ellie weaker. It'd then have to be more relying on their friendship as the main driver and perhaps Ellie's awkward position in terms of interest in Dina as connected to that and the newer developments.

Lots of questions.
Honestly, the big negative is that it seems ND is not taking many new steps in terms of gameplay, other than enemy encounters seemingly being improved. I'd say that's pretty typical of ND, taking very small strides on the gameplay. In TLoU it was somewhat forgivable, being the first iteration, and it being a natural sidepath from Uncharted 2. However, TLoU2 needs to evolve the combat and possibilities and not try to coast on story alone. It's okay to have a minimalist HUD, which is something ND did well with TLoU. But that doesn't excuse a minimalist overall design.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Whenever I see or think of Neil Druckmann, I think of Cain from Robocop2.
I can't be the only one to see the similarity?

lifa-cobex

Call me brain dead if you like but I enjoy story's about androids having an existential crisis and developing in the next step of evolution by learning from the history of an long extinct humanity.
Or a story about an old god not willing to let go of his era of dominance. So he curses the rulers of the next age with un-death and uses it to feed his flame just to hold onto dwindling power.
The kinda story's that don't really translate well to TV or film and only really work in a slow burn game.

Half of that first page leak sounds like the script of an episode of love island or some shit.

Last edited:
That's no how it works.

Well that's only a bad thing when the "lefties" and "libtards" do it. As a gamer it's your DUTY!

lifa-cobex

I remember when people were saying "TLOU" didn't need a sequel and I thought that was crazy. How right they were.
It could have been done.
But they should have left Joel and Ellie story alone and done something with someone else.
Maybe Joel's brother.

The nature of that ending was great. It left me thinking in a very grey area and that's how I want it to stay.

So for one, let’s give props the the rumor for actually being true so whomever leaked it is now credible. Two, this story turned from a Dark, deep, wanting to survive the apocalypse type shit to a damn romantic lesbian flix focused on killing the bad religious guys. This sound like it should of been DLC for the first game.

Paracelsus

I remember when people were saying "TLOU" didn't need a sequel and I thought that was crazy. How right they were.

If the sequel was done earlier than 2016, it could've been written better, now it was impossible.
That's like expecting The Witcher 4 to be anything but horrible.

Top Bottom