• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4k, VRR, 120fps, HDMI 2.1, HDR, ALLM, TV gaming at $699

jorgejjvr

Have this TV, worth it when it was $900, and now I see it for $699. TCL 55R646 at best buy.

Had my xsx and ps5 but not fully taking advantage till this, I always thought this was blocked off for $3k or so which I was never able to do for a TV, but this is insane.

I have one if anyone has questions. Yes, some things aren't perfect, but a lot has been fixed via firmware updates, there's 1 more coming in May too. And if the idea for this TV is mostly gaming (it is for me), then it's great

Also has great Local DImming + 9.5/10 on their input lag score for gaming

Last edited:

splattered

At first i was gonna say i bought this TV for my wife not that long ago, but i checked and its the 55R635. We are a fan of TCL TV's in the house, obviously not as nice as the big boys but pretty good for the price.

jorgejjvr

At first i was gonna say i bought this TV for my wife not that long ago, but i checked and its the 55R635. We are a fan of TCL TV's in the house, obviously not as nice as the big boys but pretty good for the price.
I'm a fan too, got 3 in my house, the others are like from years 2018 and 2019, and not for gaming. But I got this one for my gaming set up with ps5 and xsx

Quasicat

I bought a TCL in 2018 and it last me about a year and a half before it would not turn on. I went back to Sony, but always liked some of the TCL features…especially when you factor in the price.

jorgejjvr

I bought a TCL in 2018 and it last me about a year and a half before it would not turn on. I went back to Sony, but always liked some of the TCL features…especially when you factor in the price.
wow, sorry about that. Crazy, ive had 2 of mine for years, 2-3 years, one of them going on 4. And even this new one is about to hit 1 year this year. They are also good at replacing theirs with warranty

Gamerguy84

Looks like a pretty nice set OP

JVf9OvC.jpg

FMX

I am waiting for the 2022 TCL 8 series. Rumor has it that they are going all out this year with the flagship model. I was hyped for the Sony X95K but when hdtvtest did the review they said that VRR prohibited local dimming. Sony wants 2000+ for that model. They are crazy. The 2022 TCL 8 series is suppose to have all the bells and whistles and a 144mhz screen. I have only purchased Sony televisions but their pricing doesn't seem to reflect their quality like it used to.

Gamerguy84

I think I might pick this up. I've been looking at it for a few weeks.

Hisense H9G ULED.

Roxkis_ii

Due to some circumstances, I needed to replace two tvs on the cheap. Grabbed two TCL's, 4ks and theirs TV aren't bad at all. I was also someone also looking into grabbing a Sony Tv to game on, but this is looking mighty nice. Thanks for the info OP.

tenor.gif

Goon_Bong

Word of warning for any Aussie buyers, the TCL models sold here historically have been vastly different to US ones and have been much worse. I got a TCL 55P6US a few years ago as a second TV and it is a pile of shit. Advertised as HDR with a low rent 8bit panel, issues with 5ghz Wi-Fi, constant reboots, turns on by itself, bad UI performance, internal speaker which sounds worse than yum-cha PC speakers, the whole kit and caboodle. Caveat emptor.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Word of warning for any Aussie buyers, the TCL models sold here historically have been vastly different to US ones and have been much worse. I got a TCL 55P6US a few years ago as a second TV and it is a pile of shit. Advertised as HDR with a low rent 8bit panel, issues with 5ghz Wi-Fi, constant reboots, turns on by itself, bad UI performance, internal speaker which sounds worse than yum-cha PC speakers, the whole kit and caboodle. Caveat emptor.

On that note, EU also has a different breed of (much worse) TCLs compared to what the US gets.

So, yeah, in many cases when you may see people praising TCL, it's almost entirely the US folks.

BouncyFrag

I’m happy with the TCL 5 series Google hdtv I got recently. I think it has all specs of the newer model except it being only 2.0 60hz. Once I got it configured, which took some work, I was finally getting the most out of my XSS. The VRR boost in Elden Ring was most noticeable.

MastAndo

You're playing a bit of a panel lottery, but some of these budget sets are pretty remarkable. The Hisense U8G checks all the boxes as well. A recent update borked HDR in 120hz mode so I ended up returning it for an LG C1 (55" is now $1099, so couldn't resist), but it's still pretty impressive for a $750 TV.

scydrex

My TCL 2018 a 617 last me 1 year and 3 month. 1 year of warranty. One day it started flickering and i did everything i read to try to fix it. Now i got a Sony X900h. The TCL 646 is not even available on my country but IDK first TCL and haf a bad experience. I have a Vizio 1080p 55" from 2015 or so and problem free so far.

mxbison

Nice. I just bought a Samsung QLED 75" with those features for 1399€.

The good stuff is finally approaching a proper price range. When I get I new one in like 5-6 years the big OLED should also be more affordable.

Andodalf

Banned
TCL has come a long way sense then. It’s the best bet for price to performance at pretty much every price point. You can get something that’s only like 10-15% worse than a top of the line TV for about half the price. They’re really solid and have had great gaming feature sets even before guys like Sony did.

jorgejjvr

I also forgot to mention this tv also has dolby vision and dolby vision for gaming. When I run the test on xbox, every single field is green

jBfivgl.jpg

Top Bottom