• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Are there any decent bluetooth earbuds/iems? Pretty active at work and I keep fucking the wired ear buds i've been using as I have to tuck the cord which eventually leads to the right earbud/iem becoming quiet.

Jzero

Are there any decent bluetooth earbuds/iems? Pretty active at work and I keep fucking the wired ear buds i've been using as I have to tuck the cord which eventually leads to the right earbud/iem becoming quiet.

JayBird - BlueBuds X

Bragi - The Dash

Earin

There's really not any high rated ones, they all have problems.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Koss%20KSC-55.jpg

?

hitgirl

So I can get 55% off one pair of any PSB or NAD headphones they sell. Which should I get? I wanted something for movies on my PC then games on PS4.

wilflare

okay guys. I'm thinking of selling my Soundblaster Zx and just stucking with my Audinst HUD-MX1

do you think i'll lose out on anything? don't think I'm using my Soundblaster much and it really does not give me any discernible upgrade (not using the DSP much for games either))

Not an audiophile and know very little about headphones but looking for some recommendations for a pair - one ~$100 for home use and another less than $50 for gym use. For the latter, portability and something that isn't suffocating (definitely something not in-ear) but will also stay put when I'm running would be nice.

I'm currently using an old set of earphones that came with an iPhone 4 - the left ear bud doesn't even work anymore so I'm pretty sure anything and everything will be better.

For running, the Plantronics BackBeat FIT Wireless Headphones has good reviews but it's a little expensive. The ADIDAS Sennheiser OCX685i also seems decent.

LegendX48

What's a good pair of headphones for portables within the $100 range? I'm looking for something to replace my sennheiser hd229s which have all but bit the dust now. Looking for something on ear and with better sound and/or sound isolation.

21GunShow

Neo Member
Is there any way to prevent earbuds from dying after a couple of months? In the last 6 months i have bought the Sennheiser CX 300-II's and the Panasonic RPHJE120R. The right buds stopped working on both of them after 5 months and 2 months respectively. I just purchased another pair of the panasonics, as well as the Audio-Technica ATH-COR150BK earbuds.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is there any way to prevent earbuds from dying after a couple of months? In the last 6 months i have bought the Sennheiser CX 300-II's and the Panasonic RPHJE120R. The right buds stopped working on both of them after 5 months and 2 months respectively. I just purchased another pair of the panasonics, as well as the Audio-Technica ATH-COR150BK earbuds.

Search out their reliability before you buy them? Unless you're one of the first people to jump on a new to market pair, the history of build quality is out there.

If you shop by what has the lowest price, you're doomed to run into lemons.

21GunShow

Neo Member
Search out their reliability before you buy them? Unless you're one of the first people to jump on a new to market pair, the history of build quality is out there.

If you shop by what has the lowest price, you're doomed to run into lemons.

I understand that the Panasonics are cheaply made, but I've heard people say that their CX 300 II's have lasted for upwards of 2 years or more. Could those have died due to them being defective, or did i lower their lifespan by just stuffing them in my pocket?

andylsun

I understand that the Panasonics are cheaply made, but I've heard people say that their CX 300 II's have lasted for upwards of 2 years or more. Could those have died due to them being defective, or did i lower their lifespan by just stuffing them in my pocket?

Sennheiser have a 2 year warranty so you can probably get them replaced. Mine have lasted longer than that.

HiResDes

Cx300s aren't very good from a sound perspective in their price range so if you're cool with blind buying try out a different pair in the range.

HiResDes

Hello audio gaf,
I'm looking for new headphones for around 100€. I mainly listen to hip hop and I don't really care if they are open or closed.
I'd get the Audio Technica WS-99 or JVC S680s, but just know sooner or later you're gonna wanna replace the pads with something like the Brainwavz Hm5 for added comfort on both.

I'd get the Audio Technica WS-99 or JVC S680s, but just know sooner or later you're gonna wanna replace the pads with something like the Brainwavz Hm5 for added comfort on both.

Thanks for your recommendations. I will check them out.

What do you think about the Audio Technica ATH-M50x? They are a little bit more expensive, but I hear only good things about them being the best headphones under 200.

jacobs34

Hey all, based on recomendations from The Wirecutter and various other audiophile sites I decided to step up from my AD700's to the PSB M4U 1. I was just wondering if there is a moderately priced amp I should be looking at to drive them.

My musical taste ranges from bands like The Beatles, Nirvana, Radiohead, LCD Soundsytem and Disclosure. Any advice would be very much welcome.

Cheers.

HiResDes

They sound find from any source, so the sound should be fine. Be warned that they don't sound as good when utilizing the active noise cancelling and they're quite heavy on your head, you'll especially notice this coming from the AD700.

jacobs34

Thanks. I'll mainly be hooking them up to my old Pioneer receiver that I have hooked up to my turntable, but I'll also use them a lot while working on my iMac. Not having to buy an expensive DAC is definitely a plus.

HiResDes

Thanks. I'll mainly be hooking them up to my old Pioneer receiver that I have hooked up to my turntable, but I'll also use them a lot while working on my iMac. Not having to buy an expensive DAC is definitely a plus.
Enjoy, good headphones for sure, and you'll notice the difference in the low end quantity and quality immediately I believe!

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Why or how did you decide on the 558s?

Sorry for the late response, I only post from work, so today is the first time I have been back onto the site.

I had $250 to spend, and the amp plus the headphones together was $246

I came here, and found another forum, that both recommended the mixamp+headphones combo. The other forum also mentioned the Superlux and Samson ones, as well as the Sennheisers, and when I looked around, the 558's had some good reviews (on amazon), and fell within the price range.

I also eventually settled (for lack of a better word) on them, because I was searching around for maybe 2 hours, and just got tired.

DagsJT

Any recommendations on headphones I can use with Xbox One, PS4 and PC? Mostly used for gaming, with movies and music on occasional use. Not too expensive, maybe £150 max. Good bass is probably important too. Sound-leakage at a minimum would be preferred but not essential as I tend to use headphones most at night when my wife and baby are asleep.

I currently have Sony Gold's and AKG Y50's but neither are wowing me. The Sony's have decent sound to me but I want something a bit better and they're a tad uncomfortable. The Y50's volume is just way too low to do anything with.

Edit: Ended up getting the SR850's from Amazon. I'll give them a go and if they're good then that'll do me nicely. If not, I'll just send them back and see what else there is.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Hey all. I'm looking for some low to mid priced over ear open back headphones. I have my daughter at my house every other week, and I do the bulk of my gaming and movie watching after she goes to sleep. I'm using Mad Dogs with a Schiit Stack right now and I really like them, but I don't like the way they completely isolate me from outside sounds. I need to be able to hear phone calls and various other house noises and the Mad Dogs just don't allow that.
I'm basically looking for something that's hopefully a bit cheaper than the Mad Dogs, reasonably comfortable with a good sound stage and decent bass but with the ability to still hear outside sounds if I don't have the volume up too high. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm hoping for something in the 150-200$ range but I can go a bit higher if there is a no brainer choice that isn't too much more. Thanks for any suggestions guys.

HiResDes

Hey all. I'm looking for some low to mid priced over ear open back headphones. I have my daughter at my house every other week, and I do the bulk of my gaming and movie watching after she goes to sleep. I'm using Mad Dogs with a Schiit Stack right now and I really like them, but I don't like the way they completely isolate me from outside sounds. I need to be able to hear phone calls and various other house noises and the Mad Dogs just don't allow that.
I'm basically looking for something that's hopefully a bit cheaper than the Mad Dogs, reasonably comfortable with a good sound stage and decent bass but with the ability to still hear outside sounds if I don't have the volume up too high. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm hoping for something in the 150-200$ range but I can go a bit higher if there is a no brainer choice that isn't too much more. Thanks for any suggestions guys.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro seem like your best bet. Maybe the AKG Q701 too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Quick drop in.

Just recently picked up the Creative Sound Blaster X7 + Sennheiser G4me Zero for my gaming.

Super nice setup. The Game Zeros sound really nice when driven by the X7.

...I also have a pair of shitty logitech $20 speakers being driven by it! ALL $20 BEING HEARD!

Will perhaps give a proper overview/review of the X7/G0 combo. In general it's great.

TrounceX

Not sure if this is allowed but I am selling a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. They are less than 3 months old and in perfect condition. PM me if you're interested. There will be a GAF discount because I love you all.

What best headphone I can get for under $600?

Things I care most about:

1. Sound < Never really had a good headphone so carious how these premium headphones fare.
2. Comfort
3. Noise
4. Portability < don't really care for this point

Buying my first "premium" headphone by the way, don't really know much about headphones.

1. Sound < Never really had a good headphone so carious how these premium headphones fare.
2. Comfort
3. Noise

Buying my first "premium" headphone by the way, don't really know much about headphones.
Do you have a preference between open or closed?

What kind of music do you currently (or want) to listen to?

2. Comfort
3. Noise

As the above poster asked, it would be helpful if we knew what kind of music you listen to. Also, you mentioned that you care about noise. Do you mean that you don't want sound leaking out of the headphones? If so, you'd want to go for closed headphones.

And if you've never had a pair of nice headphones before, you certainly don't need to spend up to $600 for a pair. Maybe something in the $200 range and a Schiit stack (DAC and Amp combo) instead?

Do you have a preference between open or closed?

What kind of music do you currently (or want) to listen to?

As the above poster asked, it would be helpful if we knew what kind of music you listen to. Also, you mentioned that you care about noise. Do you mean that you don't want sound leaking out of the headphones? If so, you'd want to go for closed headphones.

And if you've never had a pair of nice headphones before, you certainly don't need to spend up to $600 for a pair. Maybe something in the $200 range and a Schiit stack (DAC and Amp combo) instead?

Closed

I listen to pretty much everything, but mostly electronic music (techno, dubstep etc)

No issue with money, please don't think about it.

Tommy DJ

If $600 is your limit, Fostex TH-600 is what you might want to try. One of the few headphones with some degree of bass extension and impact. The treble is a bit troublesome so you might want to find and give them a spin before blowing cash on a pair.

HiResDes

2. Comfort
3. Noise

I'd check out the Focal Spirit Classic and Bowers and Wilkins P7. Shure 1540, Audio Technica ES10, and Sony MD1RA are also good suggestions.

Actually I'd X out the Classic if you want something really comfortable, the clamping pressure and size of the cups might be a problem for people with bigger heads and ears.

You really don't need that much to net a good headphone especially if you're looking for something fairly portable that can be driven by a large variety of sources. I mean if you're gonna spend close to 600 you might as well wait on a pair of closed Audeze EL-8 to drop down.

Blitzhex

Just got my AKG K7xx and so far they sound great on the Titanium HD. Haven't broken them in yet though. Successful impulse buy. Will look in to buying a Schiit 2 magni later, just to see if the headphones sound different through it.

jacobs34

Day one review of my Psb M4U 1 headphones.

16587048717_451265ef74_z.jpg

So this is what bass in a headphone is supposed to sound like! Coming from my AD700's this is such a different experience. I put on Limit to Your Love and was immediately greeted by an immediate punch of bass. The mids and highs don't feel as muddled as I was worried they would, and the fit of the cups are great. Look forward to getting some serious listening time in.

HiResDes

Day one review of my Psb M4U 1 headphones.

16587048717_451265ef74_z.jpg

So this is what bass in a headphone is supposed to sound like! Coming from my AD700's this is such a different experience. I put on Limit to Your Love and was immediately greeted by an immediate punch of bass. The mids and highs don't feel as muddled as I was worried they would, and the fit of the cups are great. Look forward to getting some serious listening time in.
Awesome review so glad you like them. I knew right away you'd appreciate the bass quality coming from the AD700, which are accurate but quite bass light. You might miss that sense of space, but I just don't think it adds all that much to most music genres. It's almost too wide.

maks

What a whirlwind. I bough the AKG K7xx as my first pair of audiophile level headphones. So amazing that it makes me want to not only use for it games and music at home, but also at work to get me through my long days. AKG leaks sound too much for that environment and furthermore I have this strange physical problem. Left side of my jaw can't seem to handle the pressure of the cup even though its very light pressure. I take off the headphones and i feel like its still on for the next 15-20 minutes. Off to ebay it goes. This just kills me :(

Bowers P7 or Beoplay DJ Khaled...
I gotta replace the AKGs so now this got interesting. I picked up the Bowers P7 and B&O Beoplay H6 DJ Khaled edition. The P7 is fun, strong, stylish, portable, quiet for workplace, and I don't need to worry about a portable amp while im away from home. Awesome! It also matches my pair of CM9's in the living room haha! But so is the Beoplay H6 DJ Khaled! Every positive I have for P7 can be said of Beoplay Khaled. It sounds similar to the P7 and all concerned with bass of regular H6 need not worry with the DJ Khaled edition. It is strong but I wonder if its too strong. Its lighter at 7.7oz verses P7's 10oz, more portable, has other cool features such as twisting earcups and ability to plug in a second headphone into the other earcup. It also fits perfect into my Astro A30 headphone case. The P7 and Khaled are neck-and-neck for me but im leaning towards keeping the Khaled. The only knock I have of P7 is that it is too tight, the Khaled wins the comfort battle.

Are there any professional/audiophile reviews of the Khaled out there? The Khaled sounds so different from the Beoplay H6 in my short testing at a local B&O store. My ears aren't trained enough to know if im missing much of the benefits the original H6 offers.

jacobs34

Awesome review so glad you like them. I knew right away you'd appreciate the bass quality coming from the AD700, which are accurate but quite bass light. You might miss that sense of space, but I just don't think it adds all that much to most music genres. It's almost too wide.

I know what you are saying about missing the open sound, it's definitely a tradeoff I'm willing to live with, and I can always go back to the 700's if I want that kind of sound signature.

Top Bottom