• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Entry level Stax, $500. Would make a nice comparison with the EL-8

I will agree you probably have enough headphones now though.

Edit: EL-8 is comparable with LCD-2? I know you went for closed back. Have you compared the closed EL-8 with other closed headphones?

Only one is my audiotechnica ath 900s. Not comparable. I didn't get the open back because I have the LCD3's.

The weight of the El-8 is similar to the TH600 right? Kind of weird to make a portable headphone that heavy.

It's not portable at all. Honestly you can walk with them around the house but they are heavy and large, I think audeze mean they don't need a dedicated desktop amp to be driven so therefore "portable". They're pretty cumbersome.

Those Oppos are gorgeous, definitely going to have to look into them as I've been thinking about getting a closed back pair one of these days.

Anyone tried Tidal and felt the difference was noticeable? Thinking about trying it for a month.

Waikis

aw yis

1323760apug8.png

Also I noticed someone on reddit linked your EL 8 comparison, Michael.
http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2z4git/audeze_el8_vs_oppo_pm3/

Those Oppos are gorgeous, definitely going to have to look into them as I've been thinking about getting a closed back pair one of these days.

Anyone tried Tidal and felt the difference was noticeable? Thinking about trying it for a month.

They are gorgeous. They also sound amazing and are super light and comfortable. I have not heard a better portable unit than them. It's amazing that they are the price they are. The only thing they lack of the Audeze is the massive bass slam - the highs, mids and vocals are lovely on the oppo.

xam3l

I took a look at the op and this thread is so big, It's gonna take a while looking for what I want so...

is the AudioQuest Dragonfly any good?

can you guys tell me about another good USB DAC around 100$/100€ or is it too expensive for the job?

leng jai

Think I'm leaning towards the Oppo but I'm a bit worried about it's "laid back" sound signature. I hate fatiguing headphones, but too much the other way is no good either. Anyone have any insight compared to something like the T1s?

andylsun

I took a look at the op and this thread is so big, It's gonna take a while looking for what I want so...

is the AudioQuest Dragonfly any good?

can you guys tell me about another good USB DAC around 100$/100€ or is it too expensive for the job?

Dragonfly is great for driving most headphones. Only something super high impedance may be tricky.

If you can get past the build quality (sharp edges), the schiit Fulla is as good, more powerful and cheaper. I've used both with Sennheiser headphones and both did a great job

I haven't tried the Fulla, but I agree about the DragonFly, it's truly great (specially if making the transition from PC DAC, the improvement in sound quality is so noticeable).

xam3l

And how about the FiiO E10K? How does it compares to the Fulla? Are they in the same price/quality range?

Actually the volume nob is a plus for me. Also I'm not very fond of how Dragonfly looks like an USB pen lol

Rootbeer

Banned
So the earpads on my HD 380 Pros are seriously bad and I can't put off replacing them any longer, but they cost $38 shipped on amazon (after shipping it would be about the same as from senn's website), meanwhile an entire new pair is only $99, seems really absurd. I'm tempted to just buy a new pair of something comparable or better than the 380s if I"m gonna be spending this much :/

So before I do anything crazy, I guess I want to know if anyone can recommend third party earpads for the HD 380 Pros? I see third party pads seem to be a thing so... please help!

I don't mind paying a LITTLE bit more if they are more durable because I didn't care for the stock pads. See, I shave my head and it unless I'm super on top of it and keep my head smooth at all times it gradually causes me to shred through the pads. it really sucks.

andylsun

So the earpads on my HD 380 Pros are seriously bad and I can't put off replacing them any longer, but they cost $38 shipped on amazon (after shipping it would be about the same as from senn's website), meanwhile an entire new pair is only $99, seems really absurd. I'm tempted to just buy a new pair of something comparable or better than the 380s if I"m gonna be spending this much :/

So before I do anything crazy, I guess I want to know if anyone can recommend third party earpads for the HD 380 Pros? I see third party pads seem to be a thing so... please help!

I don't mind paying a LITTLE bit more if they are more durable because I didn't care for the stock pads. See, I shave my head and it unless I'm super on top of it and keep my head smooth at all times it gradually causes me to shred through the pads. it really sucks.

Try sennheiser directly rather than Amazon, they sell spare parts. The US store has the pads for $26 + $6.50 shipping. Not sure where you are or if you have a local sennheiser dealer in country.

Edit: Sorry, I appear to have lost the ability to read all of your post. Never mind.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's fine, I appreciate any replies at all. if I can't get any good suggestions I'll order a stock pair I guess. Can't believe it's going to be nearly $40 for what costs them probably $3 but that's the world we live in I guess :/

What I really need is to find something to move up to from my 380 Pros. I'd like something a little better, but not absurdly so. Then I'll modmic it. I'm wondering if I should just get the Senneheiser Gamer Zeros but I'm not sure how they sound compared to the 380 Pros. I need them to be very similar or better, otherwise it's something else for me.

I'm not the kind of guy who has multiple headsets around. I need something that is a good all-around pair for gaming and music. $300 range or thereabouts.

andylsun

It's fine, I appreciate any replies at all. if I can't get any good suggestions I'll order a stock pair I guess. Can't believe it's going to be nearly $40 for what costs them probably $3 but that's the world we live in I guess :/

What I really need is to find something to move up to from my 380 Pros. I'd like something a little better, but not absurdly so. Then I'll modmic it. I'm wondering if I should just get the Senneheiser Gamer Zeros but I'm not sure how they sound compared to the 380 Pros. I need them to be very similar or better, otherwise it's something else for me.

I'm not the kind of guy who has multiple headsets around. I need something that is a good all-around pair for gaming and music. $300 range or thereabouts.

Do they have to be closed back? Have to be over-ear?

Edit: and while we are talking about new pads, Audiocubes have stated that Stax shipped them the wrong pads for my SR-5's and are sending me a new pair. How the wrong pads ended up in a bag labeled SR-5 is anyone's guess, but some new pads are on the way.

Rootbeer

Banned
Do they have to be closed back? Have to be over-ear?

I've only ever used closed. i'm not opposed to open since i'm in a fairly quiet environment, but i'm just not sure i'd like them as much, i don't know.

but are open a good idea for gaming? especially if I plan on adding a modmic?

I see people jumping on the HD 650s a lot... maybe I should wait for them to drop to $290 again and get those?

andylsun

I've only ever used closed. i'm not opposed to open since i'm in a fairly quiet environment, but i'm just not sure i'd like them as much, i don't know.

but are open a good idea for gaming? especially if I plan on adding a modmic?

I see people jumping on the HD 650s a lot... maybe I should wait for them to drop to $290 again and get those?

HD 598 are on amazon right now for $148 and will be easier to drive than the HD 650's (50 ohm v 300 ohm).

bedlamite

Way too many recommendations for the 598...these things are cheap-ish, and they're audiophile equipment, but they certainly aren't the be-all and end-all of headphones

Way too many recommendations for the 598...these things are cheap-ish, and they're audiophile equipment, but they certainly aren't the be-all and end-all of headphones

It's because they had a ridiculous sale on Amazon a few months ago and someone made a thread about it in Off Topic. What's the AKG equivalent of the 598s, anyway? Just curious.

aznpxdd

Upgraded my SE846's cable today with some silver's. Man on man, these are finally now my favorite IEM's, upping the IE800 and W60 (sold).

The most amazing bass for an IEM (literally feels like woofers), lush mids, and now with the silver, the treble opened up. Gonna be a fuuun few weeks with these.

Tommy DJ

It's because they had a ridiculous sale on Amazon a few months ago and someone made a thread about it in Off Topic. What's the AKG equivalent of the 598s, anyway? Just curious.

There really isn't one.

None of the AKG headphones sound as blurry as the HD598 since they generally don't roll off the treble and combine a broad mid bass hump with a high degree of 4th and 5th order distortion.

Since Sennheiser has enforced minimum advertised prices for all of their products, it's not very good value anymore. I think the Amazon price was $150? I still think that's too much for them havin listened to a pair recently.

Upgraded my SE846's cable today with some silver's. Man on man, these are finally now my favorite IEM's, upping the IE800 and W60 (sold).

The most amazing bass for an IEM (literally feels like woofers), lush mids, and now with the silver, the treble opened up. Gonna be a fuuun few weeks with these.

these look great. Have never heard really "great" IEM's before so that must be awesome.

Im happy with my travel kit now (EL8 / PM3 + HA-2 and phone)

leng jai

There really isn't one.

None of the AKG headphones sound as blurry as the HD598 since they generally don't roll off the treble and combine a broad mid bass hump with a high degree of 4th and 5th order distortion.

Since Sennheiser has enforced minimum advertised prices for all of their products, it's not very good value anymore. I think the Amazon price was $150? I still think that's too much for them havin listened to a pair recently.

The 598s are a solid first "high end" headphones because they're relatively affordable, comfortable, quite balanced sonically and easy to drive. For $100 they were a steal, and even 150 is a decent price.

The AKG 702 in comparison have a niche sound signature that a lot of people will hate (minimal bass impact, though it goes pretty deep) and they're not that good unamped. I also find their famous 3D soundstage to be artificially large. Even songs that were recorded in an intimate setting sound like an auditorium a times. Definitely not to my taste, which is why I sold them after a month.

Rootbeer

Banned
Get some Fidelio X2 and a boom pro, fuck the boring ass 598s.

Advice taken. Spent some time watching and reading reviews. Looks like exactly what I needed. Everyone was glowing about them and they seem like excellent all-rounders. Thanks.

These two reviews (and the discussions in their comments) swayed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_RJ3M_v8is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT97GjKRgug

SADLY they are out of stock on amazon with no ship date listed. I read in the comments some people received word from amazon that they'll ship in April... (*edit* okay amazon e-mailed me and said they will arrive betwen april 15th and may 1st... well FML)

Now i'm researching the Boom Pro mic you suggested.

And after that I need to think about an affordable amp... :p

I have a Soundblaster ZxR which has a built-in Amp though I'm sure it's the sort of amp many audiophiles would laugh into oblivion. It may be good enough for my needs though. Haven't decided.

Tommy DJ

The 598s are a solid first "high end" headphones because they're relatively affordable, comfortable, quite balanced sonically and easy to drive. For $100 they were a steal, and even 150 is a decent price.

The AKG 702 in comparison have a niche sound signature that a lot of people will hate (minimal bass impact, though it goes pretty deep) and they're not that good unamped. I also find their famous 3D soundstage to be artificially large. Even songs that were recorded in an intimate setting sound like an auditorium a times. Definitely not to my taste, which is why I sold them after a month.

My point is that AKG makes nothing that sounds like the HD598 so there's no point looking for their version, or competitor, of it. I don't think I mentioned the AKG K702 anywhere in my post.

As for your initial point, I'm not sure how the HD598 could be considered high end. What does a headphone have to do to be considered high end? If we're talking about tonality, HiResDes knows a whole barrel of options that achieve good balanced sound for a lot cheaper.

The problem with the HD598 is that they're obviously veiled and its clear the veil comes from the really broad midbass hump combined with lots of higher order distortion. If push came to shove and I was forced to purchase a cheap open backed Sennheiser headphone from Amazon, I'd probably save the $50 and get a pair of HD558s instead.

leng jai

My point is that AKG makes nothing that sounds like the HD598 so there's no point looking for their version, or competitor, of it. I don't think I mentioned the AKG K702 anywhere in my post.

As for your initial point, I'm not sure how the HD598 could be considered high end. What does a headphone have to do to be considered high end? If we're talking about tonality, HiResDes knows a whole barrel of options that achieve good balanced sound for a lot cheaper.

The problem with the HD598 is that they're obviously veiled and its clear the veil comes from the really broad midbass hump combined with lots of higher order distortion. If push came to shove and I was forced to purchase a cheap open backed Sennheiser headphone from Amazon, I'd probably save the $50 and get a pair of HD558s instead.

I mentioned the K702 because they're pretty much the equivalent of the HD598s in price when they first came out (though the 598s dropped a lot more). You're basically complaining about their sound signature when it's just a matter of taste and AKG's offerings are just as flawed but at the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't find the 598s all that veiled, much less so than the HD650s I owned for a few years. I just think they're a relatively safe first foray into higher end headphones, since they are comfortable, can be driven by basically anything and have a relatively inoffensive sound.

I used high end from the perspective of people who are just starting out and coming from stock earbuds or $30 full size headphones. From that point of view they can be considered "high end" but in the full spectrum of things they're probably slightly under midrange since there seem to be more and more $500+ headphones hitting the market. I remember back when I first started the HD650s were basically god tier cans.

Your point about getting the 558s instead is sound though - afaik you can still do the same mod that was found back in the 555/595 to get the practically the same performance.

HiResDes

Though they don't have quite the soundstage I think I prefer the Takstar HI-2050 to the 555/558 at half the price. They get a little too close to the 598s for comfort, and sport a bit more treble extension. The 598s still have been known to crack around the hinge, but definitely are comfortable and fairly easy to amp. I don't think the 598s are too veiled at all, but the bass is also a bit too nice for my tastes. There's very little extension (over-extension) in any range and as a result it makes them sound a bit less detailed and even less exciting than many headphones in the range. I prefer the HM5s to them as well, even though we're talking closed vs open sound signature.

Tommy DJ

I am not talking about sound signature. The problem is that there is a lot of higher order distortion in the lower frequencies. This higher order distortion is emphasized by their broad midbass humps. This results in the sound being thick and muddy. To borrow the term everyone used to throw at Sennheiser headphones, they sound veiled to me.

At $100, they're pretty solid. But they're just not that good value at $150 since that extra $50 gets you a whole lot these days, especially if you don't mind buying second hand.

andylsun

SRS-2170 missing from PriceJapan. There's a product with the same picture called StrS-215570, so I think it's a store snafu rather than anything worse. Emailed them to find out.

Geneijin

I am not talking about sound signature. The problem is that there is a lot of higher order distortion in the lower frequencies. This higher order distortion is emphasized by their broad midbass humps. This results in the sound being thick and muddy. To borrow the term everyone used to throw at Sennheiser headphones, they sound veiled to me.

At $100, they're pretty solid. But they're just not that good value at $150 since that extra $50 gets you a whole lot these days, especially if you don't mind buying second hand.
I thought the veiled sound was mostly because of people inadequately powering their Sennheiser headphones? I read comments and have personal experience with the HD555 and HD598 to say that's been my case for any thick and muddy sound in the midbass unless there's a different veil I'm unaware of.

leng jai

Anyone have any insight of how different the Momentum 2 sounds to the original? I've read some conflicting reports on Headfi, with some saying there's no difference and others saying it rectifies most of the flaws (tighter bass, more soundstage, more treble sparkle).

Tommy DJ

I thought the veiled sound was mostly because of people inadequately powering their Sennheiser headphones? I read comments and have personal experience with the HD555 and HD598 to say that's been my case for any thick and muddy sound in the midbass unless there's a different veil I'm unaware of.

If the veil you're thinking of is a lack of detail and resolution, we are thinking of the same thing.

The HD6xx series veil is a whole can of worms. You still have people with very good equipment discussing whether or not the HD650 is veiled or not. The reality is that Sennheiser actually did multiple silent revisions of their HD6xx series, even down to the earpads I think, so I don't think amplification is a major contributor to the veil in this case.

If anyone is arguing that amplification is the reason the HD558 or HD598 aren't the clearest sounding headphones, well that's half true. High output impedance amps will boost the midbass, putting more hearing empahis on the worst parts of the HD598.

the EL-8s are probably my favourite headphone now. The sound signature and bass are just fantastic. The whole thing feels so damn well made, well engineered and designed. While they arent portable, the closed backs are just fantastic. Really well priced unit and a much nicer proposition overall to the LCD3's.

leng jai

I wonder how much something like the HD800 costs to make. It sells for 1800 bucks here and people were complaining about the paint chipping off after a month.

s-bojan

Banned
I've been using Fidelio X2 with fiio d03k for a few months and was thinking about getting a better DAC and amp.
Any suggestions?

I wonder how much something like the HD800 costs to make. It sells for 1800 bucks here and people were complaining about the paint chipping off after a month.

they must treat their headphones like shit. the HD800s are really well made. That is overpriced though. They retail for $1500USD normally, i got mine for $999. there is a great doco on youtube which shows the design and manufacturing process.

Jzero

I want to replace the tips of my Ostry K's with foam tips, what exactly am i looking for? i want the "small" size but i don't know which size fits on the tip.

I want to replace the tips of my Ostry K's with foam tips, what exactly am i looking for? i want the "small" size but i don't know which size fits on the tip.
The comply set is about $10.if you check their website it tells you which set will fit your iems. I think you get 2 of each per set.

leng jai

Man the Momentum 2 thread on Headfi is useless. 95% of the posts are talking about the BT issues and almost zero even mention what the sound is like and how they compare sonically to the original.

HiResDes

Man the Momentum 2 thread on Headfi is useless. 95% of the posts are talking about the BT issues and almost zero even mention what the sound is like and how they compare sonically to the original.

Have you looked into those fairly new Denon portables? I'm just finding out about them, but impressions are overly positive and they look pretty cool as well.

LL
LL

Oshimai

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm building my first headset.

I've picked up a pair of ATH-900X's and I love 'em.

Other than an Antlion and a Mixamp Pro, will I need anything else such as a splitter to connect the Antlion and headphones?

Thanks.

Top Bottom