• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

59% of Horizon Forbidden West sales were on PS5.

Banned
Hell I consider myself very "in the know" and even I would have missed the free PS4 -> PS5 upgrade and saved $10 if it wasnt for the PSA thread on GAF.

well Sony basically did all they could to hide it. even going as far as wording it weirdly.
on the page for the PS5 version it said "includes PS4 and PS5 version"
while the PS4 page said something like "upgradable to PS5", basically leaving you wondering if the upgrade costs money or not

Bryank75

Banned
What I really don't get is Jim Ryans take on one of their FYE reports...... commenting on a pie-chart, he said harware was a smaller piece of the pie and had less importance now.

Yet this shows the total opposite, hardware is extremely important and people are willing to wait based on Spider-man and Ghost sales for PS5 to even buy the games at all.

The whole model is dependent on getting the consoles out there.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
well Sony basically did all they could to hide it. even going as far as wording it weirdly.
on the page for the PS5 version it said "includes PS4 and PS5 version"
while the PS4 page said something like "upgradable to PS5", basically leaving you wondering if the upgrade costs money or not
That's like saying MS is scamming people because their games are on Game Pass.

On the PS4 page, it actually says "- Horizon Forbidden West PS5™ digital version upgrade at no extra cost."

On the PS4 case, it says, "PS5 upgrade available."

kingfey

Banned

On the PS4 page, it actually says "- Horizon Forbidden West PS5™ digital version upgrade at no extra cost."

they were going to charge for the upgrade at one point, but they decided to make it free. The prices reflects on that.
Gt7, God of war Ragnarök wont have those free upgrades, so you have to pay for them.

Its not scam. Since the ps4 still doesnt have the ps5 upgrades. Its only available on those who own ps5.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

They sold 2 products that contain the exact same items for a $10 difference. Just the fact they did that indicates they hoped people wouldn't notice the free upgrade mentioned on the PS4 page.

I don't really care about the word "scam" here but that is not comparable to Gamepass.. which is a service that's more of a rental service than anything else. You own literally no licenses on GamePass. They also never shut up about it, advertise it to you constantly, talk about how great of a deal it is, etc.

Also literally every game on Gamepass has a "Get it on Gamepass" button right next to the purchase button on the store page lol

Sony could have put a "Buy it for $10 less then upgrade" button on the PS5 store page.. or just.. priced it at $60 in both places.. but they didn't, because they wanted ignorant people to pay $10 more.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They sold 2 products that contain the exact same items for a $10 difference. Just the fact they did that indicates they hoped people wouldn't notice the free upgrade mentioned on the PS4 page.

I don't really care about the word "scam" here but that is not comparable to Gamepass.. which is a service that's more of a rental service than anything else. You own literally no licenses on GamePass. They also never shut up about it, advertise it to you constantly, talk about how great of a deal it is, etc.

Also literally every game on Gamepass has a "Get it on Gamepass" button right next to the purchase button on the store page lol

Sony could have put a "Buy it for $10 less then upgrade" button on the PS5 store page.. or just.. priced it at $60 in both places.. but they didn't, because they wanted ignorant people to pay $10 more.
It's comparable because despite being offered on Game Pass, people still choose to buy it.

It mentions the free upgrade on the PS Store and on the PS4 disc.

But they hope people won't notice? That's very typical of the industry. All major companies with subscription services hope you don't notice the auto-renewal. This is one of the reasons why they offer free trials or 1 dollar subscriptions.

RyRy93

I had a PS5 become available to me under the condition that I had to buy the PS5 version of Forbidden West with it as a bundle.

I like many others would've got the PS4 version of Forbidden West so bundles skew the stats.

Last edited:

NickFire

I find it so weird how big this industry is even though so few people follow the news about it. I would have thought the majority would purchase the PS4 version just to save 10.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I find it so weird how big this industry is even though so few people follow the news about it. I would have thought the majority would purchase the PS4 version just to save 10.

The last thread on the topic had numerous posters swearing up and down that the extra $10 is worth it to see the PS5 box on their shelves.

So you never know.

IntentionalPun

It's comparable because despite being offered on Game Pass, people still choose to buy it.

But they hope people won't notice? That's very typical of the industry. All major companies with subscription services hope you don't notice the auto-renewal. This is one of the reasons why they offer free trials or 1 dollar subscriptions.
It's not on the PS5 page at all. Why would any normal consumer go looking at the PS4 page when they own a PS5?

It's purposefully obfuscated if you don't think it is I don't know what to tell you. Comparing it to Gamepass when there is a huge "Get it on Gamepass" button on literally every inch of MS's marketing is ridiculous.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's not on the PS5 page at all.
It does say it. It clearly says purchase the PS4 version and you will receive a free PS5 upgrade.

On the PS Store website, it shows different versions of the game side-by-side which specifically mentions the free upgrade. So again, everyone is not aware that you can upgrade for free, neither does everyone know that the game is free on game pass because everyone doesn't know what it is.

Guilty_AI

It does say it. It clearly says purchase the PS4 version and you will receive a free PS5 upgrade.
I've checked the page and theres zero mention of it being free though. The fact they're framing them as different things for different prices even though they're the exact same product is weird in the first place.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I've checked the page and theres zero mention of it being free though. The fact they're framing them as different things for different prices even though they're the exact same product is weird in the first place.

I can see it clearly under Games and Legal info.
dGfgDag.jpg

I can also see it on the website.
SwW7MUZ.png

I paid for the uncharted PS5 version upgrade even though I am never going to play it.

I paid for PS4/PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima, but played the PS4 version.

I paid for the PS5 version of Horizon FW. Cause I didnt care.

I might pay 10$ for GTA upgrade and not play it too.

Riky

$MSFT
So 41% ot total sales for a big marquee first party game are on PS4.

And people wonder why Sony kept it cross-gen, along with GT and Ragnarok. That's a very sizable chunk of sales.

It is, I can see this continuing for a long time and like GT7 other future projects having a PS4 version.

IntentionalPun

On the PS Store website, it shows different versions of the game side-by-side which specifically mentions the free upgrade. So again, everyone is not aware that you can upgrade for free, neither does everyone know that the game is free on game pass because everyone doesn't know what it is.
On the web? Yeah the info is there, to say it's clear is.. well I don't agree. The first screen has a big purchase button for 69.99 then you scroll and there is a single bullet point on the PS4 version that lacks the word "free." Then yeah it's under "legal info" spelled out.. sure.. people totally read that stuff lol If you don't think these things are purposeful, I have a bridge to sell you.

On the PS5? No, it doesn't, like not at all. The PS4 version isn't mentioned or displayed, I don't think it's accessible at all from the PS5 UI.

Last edited:
You said there's no mention of it and it's clearly there.

There's nothing else to be said. This discussion is over.

And I checked the physical edition and it's definitely there on the box.

If anything Sony isn't trying to hide it because they don't want any legal issues. Heck it's probably why they changed their minds about charging for the upgrade in the first place because it was initially was promised as being free.

Not saying what they did was correct but the proof is there for all to see.

Guilty_AI

You said there's no mention of it and it's clearly there.

There's nothing else to be said. This discussion is over.
Theres absolutely no mention of it on the official page, and it baffles me how much you want to defend this.

Even if there was no bad faith involved (which i find unlikely), its still a horribly unclear way to present the versions of the game. As i said in the start, the fact they're treating this as different versions at all even though they come with the exact same content just makes no sense whatsoever, they should've just sold one single version that comes with both ps4 and ps5 version.

Or rather, can you explain me the logic of separating the exact same game with the exact same content into two versions, with one being more expensive?

Last edited:

Mahavastu

No, the cheaper edition was not in the PS Store on the PS5 at all, at least when I checked before launch here in Germany.
A PS5 user would have to know about the cheaper version and buy it on the web site or the Playstation app.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

And I checked the physical edition and it's definitely there on the box.

If anything Sony isn't trying to hide it because they don't want any legal issues. Heck it's probably why they changed their minds about charging for the upgrade in the first place because it was initially was promised as being free.

Not saying what they did was correct but the proof is there for all to see.
It literally doesn't show up at all on the PS5 UI.

And if you think they didn't purposefully put the 69.99 edition front and center on the web, and then somehow forget to include the word "Free" in the PS4 version when it mentions a digital upgrade to PS5..

I mean come on, I love Sony's products.. I love my PS5.. the fact you guys can't admit this is purposefully obfuscated is just bizarrro world to me. They wanted people to buy the 69.99 version w/o knowing about the free upgrade.. they did the bare minimum to mention the upgrade in the first place, and did shit like not mention it was "free" on the PS4 description.

The right thing to do would have been to just price the PS5 version at 59.99 because it's literally the exact same product as the "PS4 version" since both SKUs come with exactly the same stuff.

Most consumers will go looking for the edition that represents the console they own; most PS5 owners wouldn't notice a "Free upgrade" message on the PS4 copies as they'd never look at them.. and most would use their PS5 UI in the first place to buy digital, and it is just not mentioned, and there is no way to even buy the 59.99 version from there. Sony knew that's how most consumers would act and knew they could get away with selling $70 copies of the exact same shit as a $60 copy and acted accordingly. Hell they probably knew fanboys would defend this with every dying breath too lol

Last edited:
No, the cheaper edition was not in the PS Store on the PS5 at all.
A PS5 user would have to know about the cheaper version and buy it on the web site or the Playstation app.

Ok now I believe I understand where the issue is. I'm not at my PS5 so I was using the app where the PS4 version is available. I'll check it on the store with my console when I get on it.

It literally doesn't show up at all on the PS5 UI.

And if you think they didn't purposefully put the 69.99 edition front and center on the web, and then somehow forget to include the word "Free" in the PS4 version when it mentions a digital upgrade to PS5..

I mean come on, I love Sony's products.. I love my PS5.. the fact you guys can't admit this is purposefully obfuscated is just bizarrro world to me.

The right thing to do would have been to just price the PS5 version at 59.99 because it's literally the exact same product as the "PS4 version" since both SKUs come with exactly the same stuff.

Most consumers will go looking for the edition that represents the console they own; most PS5 owners wouldn't notice a "Free upgrade" message on the PS4 copies as they'd never look at them.. and most would use their PS5 UI in the first place to buy digital, and it is just not mentioned, and there is no way to even buy the 59.99 version from there.

I was using the PS5 app where I did see it. I'm going to check it out with my PS5 and see for myself what your talking about.

No idea why you think I'm in denial when I didn't check it out for myself yet.

IntentionalPun

I was using the PS5 app where I did see it. I'm going to check it out with my PS5 and see for myself what your talking about.

No idea why you think I'm in denial when I didn't check it out for myself yet.
What "PS5" app?

It's not on the PS5 UI at all, which is a clear attempt to hide it.. as is not including the very obvious word "Free" anywhere but the "legal info" on the web store page. I do think you are in a bit of denial if you dont' think these are attempts to hide it, even if you never looked at the PS5 UI.

You are right that they are covering their bases legally, but that's about all they are doing.. the very fact they sold the $70 version at all is indicative of their desire to sell copies to people who don't know about the free upgrade.

Last edited:
What "PS5" app?

It's not on the PS5 UI at all, which is a clear attempt to hide it.. as is not including the very obvious word "Free" anywhere but the "legal info" on the web store page. I do think you are in a bit of denial if you dont' think these are attempts to hide it, even if you never looked at the PS5 UI.

You are right that they are covering their bases legally, but that's about all they are doing.. the very fact they sold the $70 version at all is indicative of their desire to sell copies to people who don't know about the free upgrade.

I'm talking about the PlayStation App on the phone. I'll check it out for myself when I get on the system and see how bad it is.

Anyways it seem like your trying to force me to believe you when I have an actual PS5 that I can use. If I was in denial I would never look at it at all.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Correction: it is mentioned in the legal info on the PS5 UI, but that's where it's burried, and there is no actual option to buy the $60 version.

It's bare minimum to cover legal bases. They know nobody reads "legal info" lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I'm talking about the PlayStation App on the phone. I'll check it out for myself when I get on the system and see how bad it is.
Yeah that's more a proxy for the web site.

In every "digital" place the only mention of it being free is in the legal info. Not sure about the PS4 box edition though.

Fredrik

I paid for the uncharted PS5 version upgrade even though I am never going to play it.

I paid for PS4/PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima, but played the PS4 version.

I paid for the PS5 version of Horizon FW. Cause I didnt care.

I might pay 10$ for GTA upgrade and not play it too.
I wish I did the same, having to have an old UC4 disc spinning up everytime I start the console sucks so bad, I should’ve just bought it digitally on PS5.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Theres absolutely no mention of it on the official page, and it baffles me how much you want to defend this.

Even if there was no bad faith involved (which i find unlikely), its still a horribly unclear way to present the versions of the game. As i said in the start, the fact they're treating this as different versions at all even though they come with the exact same content just makes no sense whatsoever, they should've just sold one single version that comes with both ps4 and ps5 version.

Or rather, can you explain me the logic of separating the exact same game with the exact same content into two versions, with one being more expensive?

Standard Edition​

PS4
  • Horizon Forbidden West™ (PS4™)
  • Digital upgrade to PS5 version

Copied this from the exact page where it shows 3 versions side-by-side. Have to ignore you because you have a habit of doing this.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, the cheaper edition was not in the PS Store on the PS5 at all, at least when I checked before launch here in Germany.
I posted screenshots and people are claiming it's not there.

Not going to argue with people when I can clearly see it myself.

NickFire

When you move goal posts to complaining about the new gen tax it discredits anything else you're trying to say. No one likes the price increases, but its been a year and a half. Asking people to justify them a year and a half into them, when no one wants to justify them period, is dumb.

IntentionalPun

I posted screenshots and people are claiming it's not there.

Not going to argue with people when I can clearly see it myself.
It's not sold on the actual PS5 UI.

It is mentioned in legal info, but there's no way to buy it.

Here's where the "editions" are listed:

FN6PjdWVEAIsNsw

It does have the same legal info as the other stores, since you know, people always scroll down to read legal info lol

Top Bottom