• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85% of Playstation Studios Games still unannounced

Kokoloko85

Who cares?

Playstation fans…. Its a brand. Just like people support a sports team, or have a favourite film studio.

Having exclusives gives value to you platform. Look at Nintendo.
Look at Playstation during its comeback on the PS3. It would of died if it wasnt for the vast array of exclusives from 2009 onwards.
Look at the PS4. Did fantastic because of exclusives, Spiderman, God of War, TLOU, Horizon etc. Why break the formula for like less than a million sales on PC?

Xbox 360 had value, Halo 3, Gears, Losty Odessey, Forza’s all exclusive, no PC ports.
Xbox one started the no exclusives. So many people no longer needed it and just stuck with there PC.

Playstation is a console seller, a Platform. Like Nintendo. Like Sega before it died. Not a 3rd party publisher

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I dont care anymore.
Show something or stfu about it. We’ve never gone this amount of time only knowing 2 other games in development.

Everyone will have 85% of the games not shown, if they only show 2 games since September 2020 ( Spiderman 2- Wolverine )
No other 1st party games have been shown since September 2020…. This is why the show yesterday was awful. Nothing for PS5 exclusive

They literally showed Spider-Man during State of Play and also announced Miles Morales PC in Fall 2022 yesterday. That’s 2.

Varteras

Gold Member
10 by early 2026. Sounds like none for rest of this year. So that leaves the 10 for 2023, 2024, 2025 and Q1 2026. So about 3 per year assuming they are perfectly spread out starting in 2023.

If that number includes Bungie, they'll probably be a couple of those games alone. I'll assume none of those 10 games are The Show.

Sony Confirms It’ll Have 10 Live Service Games by March 2026​

By Alessio Palumbo
Feb 2, 2022 04:45 EST

During today's Q3 2021 earnings webcast, Sony confirmed it's planning to release ten live service games by March 2026. After many years of strict focus on single-player titles, the company is pushing heavily towards the Game as a Service (GaaS) business model.
FTo4n8MXEAEhbTM

12 live service games by fiscal year 2025. The information you provided was from the previous quarter. They upped the number of live service games to 12 before fiscal year 2026

Kokoloko85

They literally showed Spider-Man during State of Play and also announced Miles Morales PC in Fall 2022 yesterday. That’s 2.
??? What?
Im talking about NEW 1st party PS5 games…. They only announced 2 since September 2020. Spiderman 2 and Wolverine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
FTo4n8MXEAEhbTM

12 live service games by fiscal year 2025. The information you provided was from the previous quarter. They upped the number of live service games to 12 before fiscal year 2026
Ah my mistake.

Looks like The Show is counted as GAAS too. I thought the game count they mentioned were brand new GAAS games.

Varteras

Gold Member
Ah my mistake.

Looks like The Show is counted as GAAS too. I thought the game count they mentioned were brand new GAAS games.
Yeah. I'm not sure they were previously looking at MLB as a live service game but they certainly are including it now. It was also mentioned by, I believe Jim Ryan, that Destiny 2 is not included for FY 2022, even though they expect the deal to close by September 2022. About halfway through the fiscal year. If I had to guess, they're probably just being cautious to not include any games from Bungie for the time being until they're certain the deal goes through. Would look bad to be counting it among their expectations to then see the deal get squashed by the FTC for some reason.

What I'm curious about is how things changed from last quarter to now. Why were they anticipating 10 live service games by 2026 months ago but now they're expecting 10 such games before even FY 2025? That seems like a fairly dramatic timetable change for that many titles. Were they being conservative with their estimates and now they have a better idea of when to expect them? I'm also curious about these extra two games they've added among those to expect before or by 2026. Did they greenlight more games internally or through partners? Did they redefine their definition of live service internally to match a larger number of titles?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah. I'm not sure they were previously looking at MLB as a live service game but they certainly are including it now. It was also mentioned by, I believe Jim Ryan, that Destiny 2 is not included for FY 2022, even though they expect the deal to close by September 2022. About halfway through the fiscal year. If I had to guess, they're probably just being cautious to not include any games from Bungie for the time being until they're certain the deal goes through. Would look bad to be counting it among their expectations to then see the deal get squashed by the FTC for some reason.

What I'm curious about is how things changed from last quarter to now. Why were they anticipating 10 live service games by 2026 months ago but now they're expecting 10 such games before even FY 2025? That seems like a fairly dramatic timetable change for that many titles. Were they being conservative with their estimates and now they have a better idea of when to expect them? I'm also curious about these extra two games they've added among those to expect before or by 2026. Did they greenlight more games internally or through partners? Did they redefine their definition of live service internally to match a larger number of titles?
Who knows.

Unless they were being conservative like what you said and the games are being developed the whole time, adding two extra new games out of the blue will probably mean these two games are low key games or mobile.

Wohc

Banned
I think part of the focus on PC is that they knew years ago PS5 stock would be short for years due to chip shortages. So they ramped up PC gaming to help compensate sales loss.
I think it's the opposite. Right now they are kind of reserved with the pc ports, because the PS5 ist not available. If they would exaggerate, people could go for a pc instead of waiting for a PS5. I think when the scracity is over they are going all in on pc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's the opposite. Right now they are kind of reserved with the pc ports, because the PS5 ist not available. If they would exaggerate, people could go for a pc instead of waiting for a PS5. I think when the scracity is over they are going all in on pc.
Interesting take. I think this might be the first time I've seen this viewpoint. Could be possible.

lol sure....

We have been hearing this shit for years. I remember last year they said they had 25 games in development. Where are they? Hello?

Well they’ve got Horizon Call of the Mountain, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine and God of War: Ragnarok announced so far. As big names go, that’s pretty good. We know there are two The Last of Us Projects, inFamous, Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal etc are all named franchises.

A lot of this seems like guesses based on LinkedIn profiles. Which aren't very informative.
Some of the multi-player games can be multi-player component of single player game, like Legends to GOT. Some projects might fall through, some nobody have caught.
We really won't know until they announce.

With excellent track record of great releases there is no reason to doubt them.

On secrecy - people have been whining that Sony announced games too early, well, now people are whining that they don't do that anymore :messenger_grinning_squinting:
I think we are past the era of Sony doing MP components for games with the exception of games like GT. Their MP efforts all seem to be games in their own right or are the primary focus. Experiences such as Twisted Metal PS3 probably showed them that you have to commit either way and not mess with the development too much.

From various sources it looks like we are getting dedicated MP/Social games from:

Guerrilla Games
Naughty Dog
Insomniac Games
Studio London
Firesprite
Deviation Games (Xdev)
Haven
Firewalk (Xdev)

Most of those have SP games in development, some have multiple.

All of the other studios are working on SP games based on hiring.

Last edited:
As a single player only guy, assuming the unannounced projects that don't say multiplayer are single player, there's lots of potential here.

Studios working on new IP that's not multiplayer:
-Sony Santa Monica
-San Diego
-Bend (please don't be Men in Black)
-Housemarque
-Bluepoint

Studios working on some kind of single player, unknown if new IP:
-Team Asobi (probably some kind of PSVR2 game)
-Naughty Dog? (rumored fantasy game)
-Firesprite ("AAA Narrative Adventure" describes every Sony game)
-Visual Arts (we know it'll look good at lest)
-Malaysia (never heard of this studio)

Studios working on single player, old IP
-Insomniac (a licensed game is not new IP in my eyes)
-Sony Santa Monica
-Naughty Dog? (rumored TLOU remake)

Most of these have some proven hit/track record with Sony. Love how much new IP there is. Hope none of these are PSVR2 exclusive; the rest are multiplayer or don't sound interesting. Still sad Japan Studio and Evolution are gone.

Three

Ok, but am I meant to be excited about that information? This is like the meta announcement about an upcoming announcement. Just wait for the announcements.

Every single studio has another game ramping up behind every major project.
Say SMS are finishing off GOW, you can be guaranteed that a smaller team has been starting their next project up for the last couple of years.
There is no down time for studios. They don't release their game and then start to figure out what their next game is going to be while all the 200 employees are waiting to be told what to do.

skit_data

Makes sense to keep a lot of stuff secret atm, you wanna keep those hype-bombs to drop when more stock is available. They really don’t have a reason to start announcing things that are several years out. Hopefully that means that when they do announce them, the games won’t be too far off.

kyussman

Given all their aquisition moves recently their is an insane amount of stuff in production between PlayStation and Xbox,no doubt about that.

Kokoloko85

Oh I see. But they are also releasing mobile and PC games now.

I just mean new 1st party games not mobile. Lots of great games have bene released since 2020 but no idea what is coming 2022/2023/2024 apart from Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. I guess God of War R but that was also announced before September 2020

Swift_Star

Banned
Playstation fans…. Its a brand. Just like people support a sports team, or have a favourite film studio.

Having exclusives gives value to you platform. Look at Nintendo.
Look at Playstation during its comeback on the PS3. It would of died if it wasnt for the vast array of exclusives from 2009 onwards.
Look at the PS4. Did fantastic because of exclusives, Spiderman, God of War, TLOU, Horizon etc. Why break the formula for like less than a million sales on PC?

Xbox 360 had value, Halo 3, Gears, Losty Odessey, Forza’s all exclusive, no PC ports.
Xbox one started the no exclusives. So many people no longer needed it and just stuck with there PC.

Playstation is a console seller, a Platform. Like Nintendo. Like Sega before it died. Not a 3rd party publisher
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

Too much concern, they’re fine. Keep trying to spin this as something negative though.

Last edited:

ElCasual

A lot of multiplayer shit and PS games coming to PC. Yep Playstation lose his identity and become a cheap copy of Xbox.

Elios83

Now that all the games announced in 2020 have been pretty much released, the next Playstation showcase will be really interesting.
Really looking forward to see what Naughty Dog, Bend, Firesprite, Sucker Punch, Bungie, Deviation Games, the Jade Raymond studio and Kojima are doing next.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A lot of MP/live service shit. Which I get, but do not want. Oh well, enough AAA single player games in development to keep me busy anyway.

Man both Sony and MS are massively massively bullshitting about what they have coming. All this acquisition nonsense is for show... and/or it will take the majority of the generation to bear fruit.

SSfox

I want to be excited, but with Hermen and Jimbo this doesn't mean anything, 79% could be just gaas and 5% other Marvel games.

As long as they don't show what those games are, doesn't matter much.

So you are saying they have 18.7 games in development right now? For release when? It’s still a pointless number how ever you spin it.

Sony has studios and those studios make games. We don’t know everything yet but eventually we will see what they are working on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its first party aka Sony San Diego make it regardless of what you think.
The show isnt exclusive. It's on Xbox. And even on Game Pass too. And this year on Switch.

What does the game being made at Sony San Diego have to do with a game being classified as multiplat or not? A first party game can be multiplat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom