• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new fossil suggests 'all dinosaurs' may have had feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say INGEN engineers the dinosaurs to fit popular customer perceptions of dinosaurs., regardless of their natural traits. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they hand wave it away with a sentence or two.

The much maligned Telltale Jurassic Park game did something similar, IIRC.

The only dinosaur in the Jurassic Park franchise is now the movies themselves, and not the animals.

valeo

Nah, that's a bad way to think of it.

Birds are dinosaurs specialized for flight. Unfortunately, flying is really heavy, so evolution made some sacrifices.

Cool dinosaur skulls and big teeth were foregone for light beaks. Thick bones become hollow. Tails had to go, too.

Birds are really just super light dinosaurs.

Sparrow-Dinosaur-55260.jpg

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong dino ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no feathers ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

This isn't the first ornithischian found with some kind of integument. Psittocosaurus had tufts of "bristles" on its lower back, pterosaurs (which weren't dinosaurs) had pycnofibers that shared structural similarities with simple early feathers, and IIRC genetic evidence shows that modern crocodilians have the same gene for coding feathers that's present in birds, implying that the entire archosaurian line was capable of evolving them.

Also, one minor nitpick: one feathered group of theropods were therizinosaurs, and they were almost definitely not carnivores.

I'd say INGEN engineers the dinosaurs to fit popular customer perceptions of dinosaurs., regardless of their natural traits. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they hand wave it away with a sentence or two.

The much maligned Telltale Jurassic Park game did something similar, IIRC.

The accepted catch-all explanation is that the frog DNA used to replace the missing gaps accounts for their lack of feathers and other appearance anomalies.

The accepted catch-all explanation is that the frog DNA used to replace the missing gaps accounts for their lack of feathers and other appearance anomalies.

All of this is very obvious; Jurassic Park/World dinosaurs aren't dinosaurs that stepped out of a time machine. I would expect a documentary to present them as more up to date with the current facts.

Fuck the haters, team feathers 4 life. Anyone who thinks feathers make things less scary, look up some of the giant ass fucking predatory birds we used to have roaming around. Like Chocobos, but with the taste for blood.

Shit will give you the willies something fierce.

Leynos

Don't we have multiple examples of fossilized dinosaur skin impressions?

Why, yes, we do.

Some dinosaurs might have had feathers, but not all.

Feathers might be reality, but I still find feathered dinosaurs kind of silly.

Nah, that's a bad way to think of it.

Birds are dinosaurs specialized for flight. Unfortunately, flying is really heavy, so evolution made some sacrifices.

Cool dinosaur skulls and big teeth were foregone for light beaks. Thick bones become hollow. Tails had to go, too.

Birds are really just super light dinosaurs.

It's like they didn't even realise they changed. Carnivors and herbivors still had big-ass dinosaur fights.

Toxi

Banned
Don't we have multiple examples of fossilized dinosaur skin impressions?

Why, yes, we do.

Some dinosaurs might have had feathers, but not all.

Feathers might be reality, but I still find feathered dinosaurs kind of silly.
Birds have scales on parts of their bodies.

Some dinosaurs definitely had feathers. Some dinosaurs probably didn't.

I'm a fan of feathered dinosaurs so that's pretty great news. I find the concept of giant birds a lot more intimidating than giant lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom