• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new fossil suggests 'all dinosaurs' may have had feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

They choose not to.

It's all about wing loading.

The largest flying bird of all time that we know of was the big one in this picture:

argentavis-size.jpg

It weighed about the same as an ostrich, but needed a 20ft wingspan to lift that 250-300lb bulk.

Most dinosaurs did not have flight feathers. Many of those that have advanced feathers did would not have had wings large enough to fly.

^^^^
Crocodilians are not dinosaurs they're just a closely related group of archosaurs; Birds are basically modern theropod dinosaurs.

What was the evolutionary reason to have feathers without fights?

Archosaurs most likely developed feathers (or feather-like structures) for insulation and display purposes.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hooray for science!

Come on people, hope on board the feather train. Dinosaurs had them and were still amazing creatures nonetheless.

We need to put a ban on further dinosaur research. They are ruining dinosaurs. Next thing they are going to find out that all dinosaurs had big anime eyes or something.

Science took Pluto from us too.

i think feathers on dinosaurs is really cool and actually dig that there are exoplanets larger than Pluto.

These threads are always funny because of the internet badasses who think they wouldn't piss their pants when confronted by a feathered raptor.

Fuck that noise man. I've been attacked by a goose. Fuck birds.

C4Lukins

I am done with science. God created these wonderful featherless dinosaurs and science is trying to not only defy God, but make dinosaurs super lame. Now if science can prove all dinosaurs could fly, I may be willing to switch sides on this issue.

Don't we have multiple examples of fossilized dinosaur skin impressions?

Why, yes, we do.

Some dinosaurs might have had feathers, but not all.

No, this doesn't prove Hadrosaurs didn't have feathers at all. In order for feathers to be preserved, it has the be fossilized in very fine grain sand or volcanic ash. If not, the feathers won't be preserved, so you wouldn't know even if it did have feathers.

kswiston

More like half of that, but the point is well-taken otherwise.

Ya, I think I was messing it that and the larger pterosaurs. Doing a bit of quick research says that argentavis was indeed about 150lbs

even this (the green one):

were only 100-200 lbs more than a big ostrich. Flying vertebrates are really light for their size. I think we have enough evidence of muscle attachments to conclude that most bigger therapods weren't light enough to fly.

Team No Man's Sky feathers checking in. I just think a Brontosaurus with feathers would look baller.

Regardless, the relationship between scales and feathers is pretty well founded, I wouldn't really be surprised if this was accurate.

When it comes to feathered dinosaurs, I like this model better. Features used as accentuation, rather than blanket coverings. I even liked the small ridge of feathers on the heads of the raptors in Jurassic Park 3.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I can't believe people are actually more in favor of giant killer birds rather than fucking dragons. I mean yeah, they had feathers, science marches on, but man, what a letdown reality is sometimes.

Fuchsdh

Seems like a pretty big leap to "all dinosaurs were feathered". Well-preserved specimens aside, no one has noticed feather impressions or attachments on other dinosaurs, on the Edmontosaurus mummy, et al? Calling shenanigans.

Toxi

Banned
I can't believe people are actually more in favor of giant killer birds rather than fucking dragons. I mean yeah, they had feathers, science marches on, but man, what a letdown reality is sometimes.
Who says dragons didn't have feathers?

Chichikov

Seems like a pretty big leap to "all dinosaurs were feathered". Well-preserved specimens aside, no one has noticed feather impressions or attachments on other dinosaurs, on the Edmontosaurus mummy, et al? Calling shenanigans.
It's only a hypothesis.
The thing is, the more feathered dinosaurs we find and the more diverse they are, the less likely it is that feathers evolved independently.

televator

Okay so looks like some in the no feathers camp are abandoning dinos in favor of true reptiles. Cool. At least they get it now - real dinos have feathers.

It's not completely unreasonable to hypothesize that many different groups of dinosaurs may have possessed feathers (or some other kind of insulation) after finding an ornithischian (a non-saurischian (Theropods and Sauropods) group of dinos that has only been spotted with tufts of quills until now) that was practically covered in them.

Dreavus

Despite the much-publicized debut of the mounted skeleton, which cemented the name Brontosaurus in the public consciousness, Elmer Riggs had published a paper in the 1903 edition of Geological Series of the Field Columbian Museum that argued that Brontosaurus was not different enough from Apatosaurus to warrant its own genus, and created the combination Apatosaurus excelsus: "In view of these facts the two genera may be regarded as synonymous. As the term 'Apatosaurus' has priority, 'Brontosaurus' will be regarded as a synonym."
I'm sorry.

Damn, siiiiick burn.

In the published paper no less!

If Brontosaurs had plumage over their necks, they'd basically look like quadrupedal cobras. That's awesome!

Easy way to sort this one out: feathered dinosaur fossils are real. Non-feathered fossils were the illusory ones Satan buried to try and fool us.

No way, full feathers or bust.

tyrannosaurus-rex.jpeg

#feathers4eva

Whoaaa. When you actually scale the feathers down, it looks like a carnivorous gorilla. That's some scary shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom