• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolute firsts in video games

How about the Journey arcade game then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFksPf8amMs

1983. You can go to the 5 planets in any order. All are played from a side view and involve jumping over obstacles, etc., but the layouts are totally different. Seems like a pretty clear-cut level select to me, unless we're moving the goalposts ridiculously far back.

Exidy's Crossbow, also 1983, let you choose the path (red or green) when progressing through the game as well.

random25

Super Smash Brothers (N64). The first fighting game to implement a Star KO.

Not sure, but it was also the first fighting game that has pits in stages.

What's the first First Person Shooter that allowed you to look through your sniper rilfe's scope and see your target all zoomed in? I kind of want to say Golden Eye, but I honestly don't know.

Lurch666

WmmgkqG.jpg

Tail of the Sun (Playstation) - FIRST 3D OPEN WORLD SANDBOX game ever made.

you forgot mercenary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenary_%28video_game%29

Damn too slow again

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Pretty much every source I read on this (HCG101, 1Up blogs, various retro sites) says that Xevious was not the first one - 'only' among the firsts, and certainly the most known. I don't know if this is actually true or not, as no site I ever read named any actual previous shmup, maybe someone here knows.

Also, does anyone have information about the first video gaming specific magazines? Preferably in Japan, US and Europe (UK and Germany) separately?

Awesome thread.

My (hopefully true) contributions: Gran Trak 10 (Atari) and Speed Race (Taito) were the first racing games, both released in 1974.

Wikipedia says that Speed Race was the first Japanese game distributed in America.

Night Driver (Atari, 1976) was (one of the) first videogame with realtime first-person view.

There were shmups like Galaxians, Galaga, Moon Cresta etc that used scrolling stars in the background but that's all they were, stars whereas Xevious was landscape with various terrain. There may have been a fact about it on Namco Museum disc or that 3D Xevious reboot that was on PSone(?) bit I am positive it was a first in something. Maybe it was the secondary fire/bomb.

There was also Zero Tolerance on the Megadrive which also came with a link cable to go from one joypad port to another on a different console.

Also in terms of Fps games there was something on the C64 around '87-'88 that used something like filled polygons. I can't remember that name of the game but if my memory serves me correctly it was released by Rainbow.

The first console FPS (like Wolf3D or Doom) would probably be Corporation aka Cyber Cop, originally released on the Amiga in 1990, ported to the Genesis in 1992. Corporation was also very advanced for its time, it had dynamic lighting, realtime gameplay and maze-like environments (couple of years before Wolfenstein) but also had more complex elements like RPG stats and inventory/equipment and is probably the first FPS to have hacking and sneaking mechanics. It's the grandaddy of System Shock in some ways.

Regarding FPS games in general, or at least first person games on home computers, you could probably go as far as '82 with Wayout, a maze game with realtime first person graphics. Its "spiritual sequel", Capture the Flag (1983) is probably the earliest example of a FPS with split screen multiplayer and something that resembles the CTF game mode (although you just need to touch the flag, not take it back to your HQ).

Mercenary (1985) introduced an open world, a city you can walk, drive or fly around in, take and give items, destroy buildings or other vehicles, talk to NPCs, "work" for two sides, earn money and it even had a sprawling underground complex you could enter via elevators.

Then there's The Eidolon (1985), an adventure FPS where you battle mythical creatures by throwing magic with various effects and explore fractally generated caves.

And then there's MIDI Maze for the Atari ST (1987) and Driller released the same year. MIDI Maze is probably the earliest example of realtime FPS deathmatch and team deathmatch, sporting up to 16 player local MP with Atari STs linked via the MIDI port, a LAN party. :) Driller (Space Station Oblivion) was more of a first person adventure/puzzle game, had full shaded polygon graphics, goals to solve and even secret rooms and hidden levels. Its sequel, Dark Side (1988) is more advanced, and probably the first to have a jetpack in an FPS game as well as a "stance" icon displaying if the player is on foot or in the air with the jetpack on, years before modern military shooters.

These are all games that control a character on foot, which is one of the key aspects of classic FPS games. There are even earlier examples of first person games with shooting which were largely set into a cockpit of a vehicle (Battlezone, Star Wars and so on).

Gen X

There was Mercenary in 1985:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenary_(video_game)

Perhaps also the first game to feature multiple factions you could play off each other?

Ahhhh Mercenary was another game I was going to mention bit for other reasons (plus it was wireframe like Star Wars Arcade where as I mentioned filled objects to create polygon looking objects).

I was going to suggest/ask if Mercenary was the first sandbox game since it was technically a limited size playing field a opposed to Elite but gave you the ability to progress in any order and manipulate objects.

-KRS-

There were shmups like Galaxians, Galaga, Moon Cresta etc that used scrolling stars in the background but that's all they were, stars whereas Xevious was landscape with various terrain. There may have been a fact about it on Namco Museum disc or that 3D Xevious reboot that was on PSone(?) bit I am positive it was a first in something. Maybe it was the secondary fire/bomb.

I want to say that is definitely true. Pretty sure I've read that somewhere. If it wasn't the first it definitely was the one that popularized that mechanic.

Gen X

Cracking game! Was Sword of Damocles the sequel to that?

Nah, it was called something else that was exclusive to the Arcamedes(SP?) computer released in the late 80s.

PS I keep forgetting to commend the OP on this thread, possibly my favorite already in my 12+years of being part of Gaf.

Lurch666

Originally Posted by Gen X

I want to say that is definitely true. Pretty sure I've read that somewhere. If it wasn't the first it definitely was the one that popularized that mechanic.

But scramble had seperate fire/bomb and that's in 1981-It was just horizontal scrolling instead of vertical.

There was Mercenary in 1985:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenary_(video_game)

Perhaps also the first game to feature multiple factions you could play off each other?

Ahhhh Mercenary was another game I was going to mention bit for other reasons (plus it was wireframe like Star Wars Arcade where as I mentioned filled objects to create polygon looking objects).

I was going to suggest/ask if Mercenary was the first sandbox game since it was technically a limited size playing field a opposed to Elite but gave you the ability to progress in any order and manipulate objects.

Cracking game! Was Sword of Damocles the sequel to that?

Fantastic game. It worked so slow on the C64 but I didn't know any better back then and it was an incredible concept, just letting me run around a 3D city, drive vehicles etc. Yeah, Damocles is the sequel and there's a third game called The Dion Crisis. Damocles introduced a whole solar system you could explore, planets to land on and places to see, crazy stuff.

Lurch666

Nah, it was called something else that was exclusive to the Arcamedes(SP?) computer released in the late 80s.

PS I keep forgetting to commend the OP on this thread, possibly my favorite already in my 12+years of being part of Gaf.

Damocles was the follow up to mercenary after the expansion like SECOND CITY.

-KRS-

But scramble had seperate fire/bomb and that's in 1981-It was just horizontal scrolling instead of vertical.

Ah I see. I guess it might've just been the first vertically scrolling shooter with the mechanic then. Or rather first overhead shooter.

Grath

The first MMO was on C64, and it was called Habitat (made by LucasArts, used the QuantumLink service). It's obviously not like WoW or even Meridian, but it was much more than a graphical MUD. I remember a very interesting podcast about it, it was a breakthrough game in many ways (maybe it was Retronauts?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_(video_game)

li bur

I do believe that Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic Game(s) are the first to introduce Cinematic Dialogue Options

192124.png

While dialogue choices is a very common element in Role Playing Games in the early 2000s, Bioware was the first one (to my knowledge) to imbue cinematic element in their dialogue system.

Gen X

I'm starting to feel bad for posting so much but games just keep popping into my head.

Moon Cresta (1980 Arcade) - First schmup to enable the player to link your ships together to fire multiple bullets. This was made more popular by Galaga released a year later.

Time Soldiers (1987 Arcade) - First game to introduce time travel forwards and backwards as well as use weapons from each era (and you could take weapons from one era to another).

Soldier of Light (1986 Arcade) - Introduced not only vertical and horizontal platform/shooter on one of five planets. At the end of each stage you jump into a ship and fly to the next planet. This section was a horizontal schmup. Not sure if that counts as a first for mixing two different styles of gameplay.

Nander

I do believe that Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic Game(s) are the first to introduce Cinematic Dialogue Options

While dialogue choices is a very common element in Role Playing Games in the early 2000s, Bioware was the first one (to my knowledge) to imbue cinematic element in their dialogue system.

How do you define "cinematic elements"?

Just to name one (and probably not the first), Secret of Monkey Island (1990) had similar dialogue options:
image007.jpg

acm2000

crt.jpg

Here's a picture of the previously mentioned cathode ray tube amusement device.

Again, first interactive electronic game, period.

... I think the missile simulator game that this thing played deserves a remake.

bet that still weighs less than a ps3 phat

charsace

What was the first game to have dual wielding? I played Rise of the Triad back in the day and that was the first game that I played that did it. The Marathon games also did it. Was it either of these games that did it first or was it another game?

What was the first music-oriented game? I'm thinking of Otocky (1987) on the Famicom Disk System but it was probably not the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uIdWu1CzJ0

I remember reading that, too. Of course, it isn't a rhythm game like PaRappa (I believe the first proper rhythm game), but you perform actions to the beat and you create music while doing so, so it is music oriented. (I think I read it on Wikipedia, though. I should look at its source for that claim.)

What's the first First Person Shooter that allowed you to look through your sniper rilfe's scope and see your target all zoomed in? I kind of want to say Golden Eye, but I honestly don't know.

The original Team Fortress mod for Quake had the sniper class so it might be an even earlier example than Outlaws, but I havent played the original TF so I'm not sure if there's actually a scope view or just a simple zoom.

I'm wondering if SEAL Team had snipers, don't remember.

Top Bottom