• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Odyssey free on game pass now

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Pretty game, huge step up from origins with regard to combat and level gating, but it's still annoying how you need to gear for everything you want to do (combat/sniping/stealth).
They added an accessibility option to have assassinations kill all the time, which might be what you stealth players are looking for.

GymWolf

Good female protagonist, the good things kinda start and end there.

Ok being better than valhalla is another good thing i guess...

Origins is the better of the new 3 imo.

Spaceman292

Banned
They added an accessibility option to have assassinations kill all the time, which might be what you stealth players are looking for.
Seriously? This was the most annoying part about the game - it should have been this way from the start. Might try it again now.

Winter John

Gold Member
I liked Kassandra and I hope they bring her back but I've never been able to finish the game. It just never seems to end

OMG I can't stomache that map when you start unlocking shit. Its just littered with icons.

Hated seeing this shit and eventually just stopped playing lol but good game. Decent fun to be had here.

preview-65-1-960x540.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OMG I can't stomache that map when you start unlocking shit. Its just littered with icons.

Hated seeing this shit and eventually just stopped playing lol but good game. Decent fun to be had here.

preview-65-1-960x540.jpg

I see where you're coming from and I agree for almost the entire part.

But for some weird reason the game got its hooks real deep in me. Something about exploring the massive, beautiful and vibrant colored world (after the mostly desert in Origins) really struck with me and ..... well I ended up 100%-ing the game, even the DLC on both PS4 and SX.

I've put in a *LOT* of time in this game lol.

dTZTciz.png

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
But for some weird reason the game got its hooks real deep in me.
Same for me, but I can't go back to it anymore, valhalla just fixed so many issues/gripes, that odyssey and origins just feel like an insane step back to actually play overall; went back to odyssey for the crossover mission, and my rose tinted glasses just shattered, I was shocked by how much I actually missed all the improvements from valhalla.
Going back to origins was even worse, tried to play the xbox gamepass version for some easy gamerscore, but it's literally impossible to just to the main story, the level gating is so harsh, you'll just die in one hit if you don't do side missions.

depends on what you didn't like about them.
Setting/story wise? Maybe.
Gameplay wise? better than origins, but quite inferior to valhalla.
Liked boat combat/exploration from AC4? Odyssey has a lot of that too.

Maybe I'll give it a try then if it has some boating. To be fair I've never been the biggest AC fan but I did put a lot of time into AC4, Syndicate as well oddly enough, so it should make a good distraction. I'd played Origins more recently as it was given away on Prime, so probably tarnishing all the new ones with the bad action RPG brush that Origins played like to me

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it any better than Origins & Valhalla? Tried those and thought they were naff, this one does at least have an interesting Greek setting so maybe we'll see.

To me, this was the best of the 3.

Valhalla was just a too much of the same a third time go and it didn't have the kind of exploration and ship combat odyssey has, felt like a reduction in some ways.

Aure

Banned
Awful, awful game beyond words. I had to make a huge effort to beat this without falling asleep. One of the worst AC games ever made.
Extremely bloated and copypasted all over the place. To make matter worse, i started to play this game back then after i finished RDR2. The downgrade felt huge.

Also, Origins is insanely better.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Best AC. Best combat, best map, best quests, best protagonist Kassandra S2, etc....

Dat Elysium + Underworld and Atlantis expansions, OMG.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
depends on what you didn't like about them.
Setting/story wise? Maybe.
Gameplay wise? better than origins, but quite inferior to valhalla.
Liked boat combat/exploration from AC4? Odyssey has a lot of that too.
Nah. Much more retarded and limited combat in Valhalla. The protags there are 80 years old that becomes tired too fast. plus where boat combat??

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Nah. Much more retarded and limited combat in Valhalla. The protags there are 80 years old that becomes tired too fast. plus where boat combat??
I said gameplay, there's more to gameplay then just combat, which is going to be subjective sure, but in every other objective measure valhalla is vastly superior; no retarded level gating, guaranteed assasinations part of the core mechanics, no trash loot overload, no trash game flow interruptions like painting all enemy locations with the bird before entering an area.
You can actually play valhalla as an assassin's creed game, because you never have to worry if your level, or hunter/assassin ratings are high enough.

While I was playing valhalla, early on the felt odyssey was better too, until I went back for the crossover mission...can't go back anymore, all the loot alone drives me crazy.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sucks that such a pretty gameplay character is in such dreadfully boring game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I said gameplay, there's more to gameplay then just combat, which is going to be subjective sure, but in every other objective measure valhalla is vastly superior; no retarded level gating, guaranteed assasinations part of the core mechanics, no trash loot overload, no trash game flow interruptions like painting all enemy locations with the bird before entering an area.
You can actually play valhalla as an assassin's creed game, because you never have to worry if your level, or hunter/assassin ratings are high enough.

While I was playing valhalla, early on the felt odyssey was better too, until I went back for the crossover mission...can't go back anymore, all the loot alone drives me crazy.
I didn't have any problem with levels, coward assassinations are for cowards, loot is cool, painting enemies locations is part of a cool gameplay aspect lost in Valhalla.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
ok, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing I see.
Have a nice day.
So do I have to like one hit KO stealth assassinations (that are still present on Odyssey) and think they are cooler than some skill kills like Spartan kick?

Last edited:

Aesius

The aesthetic of AC Odyssey is one of the best in all of gaming. It feels like being on vacation on a Greek island most of the time. Just a very visually pleasing game. The gameplay is also pretty good but it can be quite repetitive.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Free on Game Pass?

Anyways it’s a fun ass game, but damn is it incredibly bloated. Even if you enjoy the loop, there’s still too much shit.

Killing cultists was the highlight for me, and the real cool shit doesn’t even happen until very late game.

manfestival

I had fun with the game until it basically made it so I could not progress without grinding out some side quests. Then i dropped it. Real shame since I was enjoying the story and overall experience.

Corndog

Banned

preview-65-1-960x540.jpg
They need to make it more of a proper rpg. Have more interesting characters and things to do. Not just a collectathon. Shrink it down a bit in size.

Larxia

huge step up from origins with regard to combat and level gating,
I really liked Odyssey and I started Origins this summer because a lot of people said it was better. I was incredibly disappointed, the level gating is indeed terrible.
There are way too many sidequests everywhere, it feels like a MMO, and if you stop doing them and play story missions for one or two hours, you are already under leveled and need to go back to these boring sidequests.
The combats are also indeed really boring in comparison, you don't have access to all the various abilities like in Odyssey, so it's just super basic and it feels like what would be playing Odyssey the worst possible way.

I haven't finished it, dropped it after about 40 hours. I should force myself to finish the story but it's very tedious and I'm surprised by people saying it's way better than Odyssey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom