• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to VR analyst Brad Lynch, developers are more excited to make their games for PS VR2 than any other upcoming HMD

My gf will probably leave me if it doesnt come out soon. All she mentions is how everyone has a VR headset. This couple, this friend, this guy, that couple, that friend, that guy.

And I aint getting one till PSVR2 comes out.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
VR analyst = kid who likes VR and thought to make a channel/profit off it, lol. Wow, VR devs really have the brain to guess Sony's going to push PSVR2 and so releases on it will benefit from the hype, mind blown, unprecedented analysis! I'd be surprised if anything not directly paid off as exclusive ditches PC/Meta, zero reason 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
pp,504x498-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Foilz

Banned
Of course making vr for the psvr2 would make devs get excited. It's a fool proof easy alternative to PC vr. Psvr uses the ps5/4 as dedicated hardware processing the game while on PC everyone has a different rig.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Of course making vr for the psvr2 would make devs get excited. It's a fool proof easy alternative to PC vr. Psvr uses the ps5/4 as dedicated hardware processing the game while on PC everyone has a different rig.
That's the same situation as non VR games, but most games are multiplatform still if not paid exclusives, so any extra excitment for this or that system is just PR of the moment selling to certain circles or hopes that extra marketing to push this or that system also helps sell more of that or any version of a game. I guess PSVR2 also has the advantage of possibly being among the first to introduce features that have been trickling into consumer kits but haven't yet been widely adopted like eye tracking but who knows what the situation will be like when it finally releases, it might be the cheapest or first to sell a lot, we'll see how PS5 itself fares by then...

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
That's the same situation as non VR games, but most games are multiplatform still if not paid exclusives, so any extra excitment for this or that system is just PR of the moment selling to certain circles or hopes that extra marketing to push this or that system also helps sell more of that or any version of a game. I guess PSVR2 also has the advantage of possibly being among the first to introduce features that have been trickling into consumer kits but haven't yet been widely adopted like eye tracking but who knows what the situation will be like when it finally releases, it might be the cheapest or first to sell a lot,, we'll see how PS5 itself fares by then...
I sold my ps5 to buy a second series X but I will eventually get another one for psvr2. The biggest draw ack to psvr2 is that you still have that damn wire and I hate the placement of that wire. I played halflife Alex wirelessly from my PC using my quest . There's no reason why psvr2 needs the wire

elliot5

I mean I don’t think thats a surprise. It’s the new toy, has nice features compared to Quest 2 it seems, and is a fixed hardware vs PC development.

Hezekiah

Banned
Make it £399 at launch, get some top proper games out for it early like Alyx, Horizon Call of the Mountain, and Iron Man VR and it'll fly off the shelves.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm definitely picking this thing up. Not having to use a camera with it already makes it much more attractive to me than the previous headset. It also seems like Sony is going to put more effort into its games than they did last time.

ethomaz

Banned
VR analyst = kid who likes VR and thought to make a channel/profit off it, lol. Wow, VR devs really have the brain to guess Sony's going to push PSVR2 and so releases on it will benefit from the hype, mind blown, unprecedented analysis! I'd be surprised if anything not directly paid off as exclusive ditches PC/Meta, zero reason 🤷‍♂️
Plus VRDevs knows that being day one on the platform generate a lot of sales like what happened with indies on PS4 and Switch.

The low amount of games to play makes your game get more sales… and that happens only around the launch window.

CamHostage

Oh, I totally forgot about Meta's Cambria headset...

I mean I don’t think thats a surprise. It’s the new toy, has nice features compared to Quest 2 it seems, and is a fixed hardware vs PC development.

PSVR2 is certainly the next evolution in terms of feature set and presentational quality, which is a good market for a developer to gain a footing in and be defined as a leader. Everything we know of that's in it is already known as being on the winds for VR, whether it was Sony or Meta or Valve who did it first, but it is Sony doing it first; nothing of PSVR2 to somebody familiar with VR would have them look at and say, "Wow, you can do that with VR?!", but it's all the best version and the newest good ideas being executed in a consumer product by a company who knows consumer products. Even with the multiple products Meta has in the labs, it makes sense that PSVR2 is the fun place for developers to go next.

But also, for developers, I'm curious how much the math of the potential market is factoring in. The numbers aren't available (Meta does not reveal copies or dollars, and developers haven't given a lot of insight either, possibly by contract,) but I would take a bet that PlayStation 4 VR has still generated more money in software sales despite the phenomenon of Quest 2 as a Christmas gift and party player. PlayStation has an audience used to paying for games, and can even get game copies on store shelves (which cuts on margins but provides a better sense of presence and legitimacy, plus moves some units in pure stock.) Meta meanwhile is still trying to convince game publishers and developers that Questers are collectors and are eager to pay for VR experiences, with limited success so far outside of the hungry studios looking for any bites. PlayStation's audience is also a "smart" crowd that is picky about the perceived value of the games it invests in, and it tends to sniff out and be snooty about being first to get titles even when the quality of the game is high.

Quest's market is nothing to sneeze at, but I could see studio bosses weighing the options of Quest, PSVR2, or even Quest+PS5VR (as in starting on Quest now and adding PSVR2 versions when it launches) and just pot-committing fully to PSVR2.

I dont see any reason why every fps wouldn’t have a vr mode going forward. Remember when rdr2 released there were rumblings from those few psvr users that playing it in cinema mode was the definitive way to play. psvr2 can enhance flat screen gaming as well i believe.

Top Bottom