• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

george_us

Welp ran into my first gamebreaking bug. During the
Run The Gauntlet
operation, the turret in the warehouse won't die. Lovely. I've even tried restarting the mission from the start.

Edit: Well nevermind. I left the area and it died on its own lol

BigEmil

This game is a sleeper hit really enjoying this :)

Absolutely love this Seoul recreation in this game too looks lovely

Also the movements etc is a joy all fun!

Reminds me of Sunset Overdrive but this is better in every way!

pots555

Sleeper hit of the year for me so far. This game is so...alive. Lots of stuff going on and, as stated before, the city is great looking. I love the colors, buildings and decorations.

Will be streaming on my youtube channel (GameStreamMachine) in 15 minutes. Come by if you want to see a pretty in depth walkthrough. So far, I really like the game but I can see where some of the complaints are coming from (like the microtransactions and bugs). But the gameplay and uniqueness of each character is good enough to see past the issues and keep on playing.

Finally got my copy. Really enjoying. The writing is definitely a step down from Saints Row but I'm having a lot of fun. I actually find this less repetitive than Saints Row so far.
The lead writer Steve Jaros didn't write this one. Jason Blair did. So that's why the writing seems different but it's still serviceable.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Still having a lot of fun after 10 hours. Only just now completed the second main story mission. That said, this game could really use and benefit from random encounters and NPC events.

It would do wonders to liven up Seoul and give it more of an identity and personality. A wide range of random one off encounters and interactions with NPCs and one off gameplay evens would be amazing. Just coming across odd ball pedestrians, non-Legion affiliated Saturday morning cartoon villains who aren't much more than weirdos in spandex causing trouble, some agent specific or agent adjusted interactions.

I would probably be willing to drop a few bones for some DLC that added in a few dozen or more random events to the world.

Random encounters were one of the highlights of Red Dead Redemption and really helped to flesh out Los Santos in GTAV. It's really something every open world game should have in abundance. I was disappointed with BotW for the low number of such events and failure to have any of real consequence or depth.

Grisby

Got Daisy, That quest reminded me the most of taking on a mission in the Saints Row series.

She's a beast but man, I hate having to level them up. Kind of wish they got xp when sitting back home. Both my Fortune and Rama are 18 and my Joule is 14 and I like all three of the, but Daisy too. Just s shame it'd take her a while to get up there.

Also, does anyone know how fast the outposts can get retaken? Game just said Legion could get them back and low and behold one mission later they do.
I will also say that this game needs more banter between your team.
Yeah, it's way more sparse than I thought it would be. Maybe I just haven't been hanging in the world too long but it almost feels like a bug since sometimes the agents will chat with each other.

This kind of feeds into the problem of the city being too quiet.

edit-
I would probably be willing to drop a few bones for some DLC that added in a few dozen or more random events to the world.
Yes! Just for the love of god don't make them lairs! Or at least not underground lairs.

I seem to recall reading that there's a catch-up mechanic in place that allows lower-level agents to level up quicker when on a team with higher-levels.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yes! Just for the love of god don't make them lairs! Or at least not underground lairs.

Yeah, I just want stuff that takes palace out and about in the city. At most add in some unique interiors like one room shops you can enter, but that's it.

I just want to meet and interact with weird individuals as I'm exploring the city and collecting shards and chests. Have some give me quick tasks like finding their lost "kitty" aka some mutant creature, or beating up neighborhood bullies or driving a clingy ex-boyfriend off the road. Parodies of the little things GI Joes and other cartoon heroes would do for people.

And then have some more inventive ones that introduce one off unique sequences. Gremlin has that awesome pipe valve Easter egg in her shop. I want some encounters that do completely random stuff like that.

I've run through multiple lairs tonight without finding a single loot box and trust me I looked everywhere, including the dead end rooms. It's really disheartening. Makes me want to stop looking honestly. Hopefully it's a glitch that can be fixed and not a terrible design decision.

Other than that still having a blast.

I've run through multiple lairs tonight without finding a single loot box and trust me I looked everywhere, including the dead end rooms. It's really disheartening. Makes me want to stop looking honestly. Hopefully it's a glitch that can be fixed and not a terrible design decision.

Other than that still having a blast.
Have you got all your Legion tech? You usually get one for each character when you go into a random Lair on the Seoul map. And there's usally a few purple or gold loot boxes around. The scan can show them up. Otherwise it sounds like a bug.

Indelible

This game definitely gets better the more you play and the humor is pretty good in spots, it is a shame that this game will be slept on by alot of people.

Have you got all your Legion tech? You usually get one for each character when you go into a random Lair on the Seoul map. And there's usally a few purple or gold loot boxes around. The scan can show them up. Otherwise it sounds like a bug.
These were during missions. I still have a lot of legion tech to unlock.

Menome

As it releases in the UK today: Was there a Day One patch, and if so, how large was it?

Currently staying somewhere with a data-cap, so I'll have to lug the PS4 to my girlfriend's place if it's more than a couple of gigabytes.

Oh man haven't been following since the mediocre reviews (lol no review thread?)

The impressions here are getting me excited. Had a feeling this was gonna be a sleeper.

Aight, just started playing this thing. I'm really digging the combat, and I love how each character has a specific set of upgrades and equippable perks.

I'm at the point where I just unlocked Rama, and I'm chomping at the bit to unlock more agents. Hopefully that wait isn't too long.

Aight, just started playing this thing. I'm really digging the combat, and I love how each character has a specific set of upgrades and equippable perks.

I'm at the point where I just unlocked Rama, and I'm chomping at the bit to unlock more agents. Hopefully that wait isn't too long.

Just do the side missions for whomever you want.

Bombless

Just do the side missions for whomever you want.

Note that you will need to advance the main story a mission or two for some more agents to be available for recruitment.

I like how a lot of ambient dialogue seems to be venting some frustrations about the development process

I could just be reading too much into it but when Kingpin (i think) complains about there not being any licensed music in the game. It reminds me of Twinsanity where Cortex keeps bringing up all of the content that was cut from the game because it was rushed.

Having fun with the game, despite some glaring issues, anybody know if there are missable trophies? I love running around just collecting everything in games like this

Trickster

I'm surprised that you guys seem to be enjoying it as much as you are, the reviews were kinda hard on the game. Honestly making me consider buying it in spite of the reviews. Would anyone be able to tell me if you think I'd be doing the right thing? I loved Saint's Row 3 and 4, large part of that was the writing, is that as solid in this?

I'm surprised that you guys seem to be enjoying it as much as you are, the reviews were kinda hard on the game. Honestly making me consider buying it in spite of the reviews. Would anyone be able to tell me if you think I'd be doing the right thing? I loved Saint's Row 3 and 4, large part of that was the writing, is that as solid in this?

The writing isn't as good in AoM and I didn't like it in SR3&4 a ton like a lot of people did.

But... I like the structure and gameplay way more. Every character feels unique and swapping them out in battle is really cool. One character can inflict a debuff, switch to a character that takes advantage of that debuff and then switch to another to hold it down while abilities recharge. Stuff like that. Lots of combinations. Tons of abilities and modifiers. There's a really a lot.

DirtyLarry

If Best Buy is an option, they are including a $10 Gift Card with it.
That and Gamers Club Unlocked pushed me over the edge to pick it up.
I am still early, early on, but it definitely is a satire on Saturday Morning Cartoons, GI Joe being the biggest influence, so I can get down with it so far.
That and so far it seems like it is going to be pretty fun to play.

I was hesitant because Uncharted comes out next week and Destiny 2 comes out in a few weeks, but I said fuck it, and glad I did.

Also if anyone can comment on my question about about HDR or not, would be appreciated. I found several articles online saying it should include it, but it is not activating it on my end.

Lijik

The core combat is really solid and between all the heroes and their numerous upgrades theres a lot of ways to mix things up despite the repetitive nature of the missions.

I love the writing in the saints row games but its really hit or miss in this one. A lot of the random agent interactions you hear roaming around or during character specific missions and enemy barks during combat have made me smile but the larger jokes in the main missions are all the lazy, juvenile humor that people frequently claim Saints Row to be - and worse the game will repeat them multiple times. Didnt laugh the first time a boss taunts you to attack his giant balls? Well strap in muchacho cause he'll tell you five more times and if he's not currently making the wisecrack, your support back at base is.

If youre just getting it for the writing give it a pass, but if you watched videos and think the combat looks fun you should give it a go.

Drewfonse

Yeah, I haven't played it yet, but I'm ok with just passable writing. Maybe the animated cutscenes will be entertaining.

I miss the days of more straightforward action games, and something tells me that I'll like this's.

Deepwater

The overworld is waaaaay too empty. It's nice that it's based in Seoul, but the city feels lifeless

How do you change into different outfits? They have a free outfit on PSN for the first 3 heroes but I couldn't figure it out.

At the Armory or when you deploy from the Ark you can change skins

The overworld is waaaaay too empty. It's nice that it's based in Seoul, but the city feels lifeless

At the Armory or when you deploy from the Ark you can change skins
Oh ok I haven't done the first deploy yet, had to shut it off when I got to the ark after the intro missions. Thanks man.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, I haven't played it yet, but I'm ok with just passable writing. Maybe the animated cutscenes will be entertaining.

I miss the days of more straightforward action games, and something tells me that I'll like this's.

The writing isn't offensively bad to me. It's most of the time chuckle worthy and some of the time groan worthy, which kind of fits the Saturday morning cartoon vibe. At worst it's simply there and at best it makes you laugh. Nothing so far has annoyed me or made playing the game less fun. So the greatest crime is that it's not amazing rather than being experience damaging.

Deepwater

Oh ok I haven't done the first deploy yet, had to shut it off when I got to the ark after the intro missions. Thanks man.

Oh for the DLC skins, you have to pause the game (from the Ark) and go down to the 'Load DLC Content', then you can access them like the other skins

Drewfonse

The writing isn't offensively bad to me. It's most of the time chuckle worthy and some of the time groan worthy, which kind of fits the Saturday morning cartoon vibe. At worst it's simply there and at best it makes you laugh. Nothing so far has annoyed me or made playing the game less fun. So the greatest crime is that it's not amazing rather than being experience damaging.

Sounds fine to me

I can see where the intent is in a lot of the jokes, but it might not hit because of weird delivery or weak punchline.

Like Yeti's first mission, I like the idea of the disciplinary AI, but I feel that Yeti's side of the banter was light in content, so the AI was carrying the humor load.

Lijik

i feel like my main issue is every joke I find particularly groanworthy but would roll off me if it was a one and done is almost always the joke the game decides to rehammer multiple times for the rest of the mission.

it's heartbreaking to see this game seemingly bomb so hard because it's very, very good

people have been so dismissive towards it even before reviews hit and i don't understand why. if ever a game would have benefitted from having a demo it's this

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Grabbed it from a Redbox out of curiosity and so far after an hour it feels like a really solid game. The combat is excellent, and as far as I can tell, has the best shooting I've played in an open world game. Love being able to switch between heroes on the fly. Sadly I can't even consider purchasing it right now because of life and such, but this is one to watch once life cools down. Glad to have it for the weekend at least.

it's heartbreaking to see this game seemingly bomb so hard because it's very, very good

people have been so dismissive towards it even before reviews hit and i don't understand why. if ever a game would have benefitted from having a demo it's this

Alot of people that play games seem to be reeeally into schadenfreude rather than realizing that good games selling poorly makes other companies less risk averse in the future.

Look at Battleborn, Lawbreakers and now Agents Of Mayhem, people WANT games to fail so they can get a smug sense of satisfaction rather than seeing these games they were never interested in succeed.

We have to wait till the numbers come in first. Maybe it's not doing as badly as GAF let you to believe.

How much did they spend on this game anyway?

Alot of people that play games seem to be reeeally into schadenfreude rather than realizing that good games selling poorly makes other companies less risk averse in the future.

Look at Battleborn, Lawbreakers and now Agents Of Mayhem, people WANT games to fail so they can get a smug sense of satisfaction rather than seeing these games they were never interested in succeed.

Or. Each of those games failed to excite or even interest gamers due to a combination of poor marketing and a failure to stand out or demonstrate what is so different/good about the title.

Top Bottom