• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

razzel

Sooo am I correct in assuming the longevity comes in replaying the campaign to level up characters more? What do people think about that so far, are the missions good enough to be replayed multiple times?

mas8705

What system are you on?

I only had two issues with the game on PC. Both while driving, which seems to be the section with the worst performance. Once when I was driving I hit a point where half the city wasn't loading and all the buildings and surfaces had no textures and the geometry was very big and blocky, but then it loaded in. The second time the game crashed while driving during Braddock's first mission

Outside of that I haven't had any problems. Gat's mission went completely smooth.

X1. Haven't had that many issues so far for the game itself, but for some reason, Gat is unplayable.

JohngPR

I know we've had some PS4 Pro impressions, but more info about Pro performance would be appreciated.

On PS4 Pro, it seems to run around 60fps when you are indoors and 30fps when you are outside. The framerate is variable in both instances and obviously so you if you stop and pan the camera to try and notice it, but it's surprisingly not distracting to me when you are actually playing. I think the motion blur solution they went for here helps smooth it out quite a bit. I tried turning it off but it made the framerate drops more apparent.

Played the first two missions last night (until you deploy back into the city). Framerate hung around 30-40 fps, but never dropped below 30. I downgraded the visuals to 720 and it ran consistently at 60 fps. At least in my case it looks like it's my graphics card rather than the game. Time to upgrade!

Was Gat as DLC only available for Pc and steam preorders?

He's only GameStop exclusive in America. Everybody else regardless of platform got him just from preordering iirc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
X1. Haven't had that many issues so far for the game itself, but for some reason, Gat is unplayable.

Not sure how X1 handles DLC, but I'd try and remove it and redownload it if possible.

He's really damn fun and has the most OP Mayhem ability.

Drewfonse

On PS4 Pro, it seems to run around 60fps when you are indoors and 30fps when you are outside. The framerate is variable in both instances and obviously so you if you stop and pan the camera to try and notice it, but it's surprisingly not distracting to me when you are actually playing. I think the motion blur solution they went for here helps smooth it out quite a bit. I tried turning it off but it made the framerate drops more apparent.

Good info, I'll be Pro-ing it, too. Sounds fine.

whyman

At first I hated this game. But a few hours in it really has its hooks in me. Dont get me wrong, the story, humor and dialog still sucks but the combat is AMAZING. Reminds me a lot of Crackdown, including the traversal. In the end I would say this game is a buy. No preformance problems at all. Playing on a PC with a 1060, 8 gb ram and i5 3.2 Ghz on high settings.

I'm enjoying it so far in my brief amount of play. The city could be liviler but the combat is alot of fun and I like the characters. Running fine on my pc.

Tanston

Very intrigued by all the crackdown comparisons, I loved that gameplay loop. That said I feel like this game is gonna be super cheap by the time the steam fall sale rolls around so I'm probably going to wait.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Please for the love of GOD everyone go interact with the pipe valve in the back of Gremlin's workshop.

NOW.

Bombless

Please for the love of GOD everyone go interact with the pipe valve in the back of Gremlin's workshop.

NOW.

Oh? I will.

As a matter of fact I should interact with all the items in the Ark.

Also I finally unlocked Daisy. Oh my god, she's the best.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So are there Crackdown-esque agility orbs in this game?

No, but there are core shards. Collect 10 to create an core upgrade. Each character has three core upgrades that consume a core upgrade.

Far fewer than orbs, but still enough to get you exploring. Plus there are loot chests everywhere that have cash, materials for upgrades and items and skins.

So are there Crackdown-esque agility orbs in this game?

Think "as well hidden" but without that granular ability enhancement...but still as rewarding? Think less "more orbs = jump higher," more "more crystals = more huge Agent buffs."

Shit, with Crackdown 3 delayed til next year, any Crackdown 3 hopefuls would probably be OK with this, I'd think.

Daisy is a fucking beast. Goddamn.

They really need to patch some of the performance issues.

Also would it have killed them to make the dungeon layouts different...

Like I guess Legion's interior decorator had a one track mind.

Steel. Long Hallways. Industrial. Electricity. Rinse. Repeat.

mas8705

Part of me didn't want to say this after Crackdown 3 got delayed to next year, but yeah... Agents of Mayhem is as close to Crackdown as we are going to get this year.

Until I finish the game, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Hupsel

The game is very mediocre, but I am having fun with it! Above average 3rd person open world combat, at least.

But it´s weird that before taking on a mission you have to always go and complete three random tasks around the map, THEN the mission unlocks to control the new agent? wtf...

So far so good. Like the art direction and gameplay is basically dumb fun (but not as fun as Saints Row). The uniqueness of the agents is also welcome. Color me surprised, was not hyped at all for this game, then again I rented it :p

NOW.
Just did...
latest

george_us

Oh? I will.

As a matter of fact I should interact with all the items in the Ark.

Also I finally unlocked Daisy. Oh my god, she's the best.
Daisy should be the official AOM mascot. GOAT.

I'm also not really minding the repetition of the missions. Combat is so fun that murdering waves of LEGION goons never gets old.

Nowise10

Only 20% done with the game so far but it is actually really enjoyable. Feels like a Volition game of course, but I love the fact you get to choose who you want to play as for specific missions. And each new Agent I unlike I seem to like them more and more. And the overall atomosphere of the game is really nice.

My biggest complaint right now is when driving a car and you hit max speed, the sound and audio of the engine "repeats" infinitely and it sounds incredibly annoying and awkward. Oh, and the performance is crappy on Xbox One. Sometimes it is smooth, other areas it is 20fps.

Z3M0G

Saw this on the store. Watched the trailer again. Saw a 2nd trailer that looked suspiciously like gameplay. Watched a stream and saw a damn slick looking game and a surprise 4th class...

Came to see if there was an OT... learned it is single player only. Pretty shocked... i dont see the point of a class-based single player game. But i see the squad mechanic and i find that imteresting...

I was hoping this was the Overstrike we never got... sure damn looked like it.

Enjoying this way more than I thought I would. It's fun to just move around. I also like that every character seemingly has unique dialog for every main mission.

Daisy should be the official AOM mascot. GOAT.

I'm also not really minding the repetition of the missions. Combat is so fun that murdering waves of LEGION goons never gets old.
Yeah if this was a single character game it might get tiring, but the combat is so fun and the characters are varied enough that it really carries it

Grisby

Just beat the first boss. Died a fair amount since I increased the difficulty by two and my team is a bit paper when it comes to armor (outside of yeti). Good stuff.

So far though, the lairs are repetitive in design.
Part of me didn't want to say this after Crackdown 3 got delayed to next year, but yeah... Agents of Mayhem is as close to Crackdown as we are going to get this year.

Until I finish the game, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
That's the truth right there.
Any tips on finding loot boxes in lairs? I have the scanner upgrade to see them but I still never seem to find them.
Try all of the doors. Some doors that seem like they should be locked will actually open.

Anbec7

I'm having a lot of fun. I wanted a game to relax and do Mayhem (bear with me).
I did notice a few dips here and there but where kind of minimal on PC I expect this to be patched later on to iron out those issues.
I enjoyed SR4 and Gat out of Hell on a random gift by my family so I thought why the hell not for this game and I'm really glad I did.

Hey this game is actually really fun. Just built my so-far favorite team.

Some hilarious glitches though. If you summon your car and your character gets into it while its clipping through another car, they physically merge and the game can't fucking deal. It caused my car to start doing lightspeed barrel rolls into the air until the car it attached to took enough damage and exploded. I wish I had some recording software going because I laughed so fuckin hard.

EDIT: Holy crap I think I can recreate it. Cause a traffic jam, summon car, stand in circle with another car...

Does the balance seem really off on the difficulty to anyone else? The higher levels of difficulty seem to make the enemies huge bullet sponges and they even melt hard tack in a couple of seconds. I'm surviving on them but it seems like it's not really worth the extra experience

VexyWexy

I Redbox'd it because of all the negativity prerelease but man this game is tickling me in all the right ways. I'm definitely gonna be buying it tomorrow after I return my rental.

Anyone find it weird that there's no air-to-ground melee attack? And the fact you can't shoot or charge a weapon without jumping interrupting it is weird too.

Other than those things I'm really having a good time.

Anyone find it weird that there's no air-to-ground melee attack? And the fact you can't shoot or charge a weapon without jumping interrupting it is weird too.

Other than those things I'm really having a good time.

I think it's a thing about differentiating characters. I haven't unlocked them all, but I've noticed I can do things like airdash/wallclimb with some and not with others. I wonder if someone has a ground smash or something.

Just beat the first boss. Died a fair amount since I increased the difficulty by two and my team is a bit paper when it comes to armor (outside of yeti). Good stuff.

So far though, the lairs are repetitive in design.

That's the truth right there.

Try all of the doors. Some doors that seem like they should be locked will actually open.
Thanks, finding a lot more now.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Really been enjoying this so far. The dialogue could be better but I am liking the variety in characters and the combat is too much fun and man their vision of Seoul is great. Really loving the city design and how they didn't shy away from using bright colors. Also using Daisy is too much damn fun.

Alright so I have been completely turned off of the game from the jump but with the announcement of Crackdown's delay, I'm feeling hungry for a superpower power trip game.

If I'm looking for...
- [a] fair amount of visual environmental destruction
- interesting traversal mechanics
- satisfying combat

And I dislike...
- crafting and loot mechanics
- Saint's Row 3 & 4 style of humor
- boring, stagnant open worlds

Will I be happy here? I'd be playing on the Pro so a decent visual presentation and solid performance earns some credit too.

Top Bottom