• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II doesn't officially support RDNA1 or Pascal and older GPUs

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Need at least RDNA2 or RTX 20 series and above. You need a GPU that supports mesh shaders.

nQZTw0Y.png

pw9a4CM.png

I know we have a dedicated performance thread but I feel this needs its own thread. It's the first game that doesn't officially support those cards as far as I'm aware and they still make up a significant chunk of the market. Not sure if it will be a thing going forward, but Pascal cards had a good run.

Last edited:
If not supporting every graphics card under the sun makes it easier for developers to make better games in a shorter amount of time then I'm all for it. There is a trade off between cutting too much of your audience out and making it easier to develop, but we see Remedy taking multiple steps to cut costs or make development faster (This and going digital only) and I think it's a good experiment.

Bojji

Does it really use mesh shaders? There are pretty much no games that do and we have this tech since 2018.

Need at least RDNA2 or RTX 20 series and above. You need a GPU that supports mesh shaders.

I know we have a dedicated performance thread but I feel this needs its own thread. It's the first game that doesn't officially support those cards as far as I'm aware and they still make up a significant chunk of the market. Not sure if it will be a thing going forward, but Pascal cards had a good run.

Then how's the game running on ps5?
white teeth troll GIF

Zuzu

It seems it’s been made with the future RTX 50 & 60 series as the ideal cards to play this game. That’s fine, I just hope it doesn’t affect sales too much. I don’t want to hear them complaining that the game bombed because so many people struggled to run it (in addition to it not coming out with a physical version and being exclusive to Epic Store).

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Wait, this is coming out on the Series S too?
220px-SH1_rifle.jpg

It seems it’s been made with the future RTX 50 & 60 series as the ideal cards to play this game. That’s fine, I just hope it doesn’t affect sales too much. I don’t want to hear them complaining that the game bombed because so many people struggled to run it.
PS5 will have to do a lot of the carrying. Almost sounds like they're intentionally trying to tank their PC sales. For one, it's an EGS exclusive, and for two, around 1/3rd of the crowd on PC is still on Pascal and older GPUs. I'm all for adopting new tech and dropping old stuff though.

FireFly

It seems it’s been made with the future RTX 50 & 60 series as the ideal cards to play this game. That’s fine, I just hope it doesn’t affect sales too much. I don’t want to hear them complaining that the game bombed because so many people struggled to run it.
These cards could be 2 years out. RDNA 4 may arrive sooner but the high-end part is rumoured to be cancelled.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I’m very interested to see the path tracing and how it stacks up to path traced Cyberpunk. Console versions will be scaled way back.

Zuzu

These cards could be 2 years out. RDNA 4 may arrive sooner but the high-end part is rumoured to be cancelled.

Yeah it could be a while. Hopefully 30 series will run it okish for now. I mean I’m sure it’ll run quite well on a 4070ti, 4080 & 4090 but those are not cards that have a large consumer base I would think. I do hope that these high system requirements, the lack of physical version and its EGS exclusivity don’t cause it to fail sales-wise.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If I can get 90 fps in 1440p with a 4090 then I'll be satisfied.

Frame generation DLSS 3.5 is kinda bonkers. I play high settings on Cyberpunk with Ray Reconstruction, DLSS set to quality and frame generation on and I'm gettin 120+*** fps most of the time.

I imagine it will be similar for Alan Wake II.

Last edited:
If I can get 90 fps in 1440p with a 4090 then I'll be satisfied.

Frame generation DLSS 3.5 is kinda bonkers. I play high settings on Cyberpunk with Ray Reconstruction, DLSS set to quality and frame generation on and I'm gettin 120+*** fps most of the time.

I imagine it will be similar for Alan Wake II.

I'd imagine frame gen would be decent in Alan Wake. It's pretty much ass to meh in cyberpunk. Depending on what you're doing.

Zuzu

There is no chance the performance mode for consoles in this game will be stable.

Yeah I think you’ll be right. It’ll most likely be an fsr upscaled blur fest that will mostly hover between 40-55fps. Likely a worthless mode.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My 5600XT is just three years old. There is absolutely no reason for why i should have to upgrade that soon!

You got the worst AMD GPU from 2 generations ago......and you are shocked it likely cant play one of the most technically advanced games coming out?

Dont @ me with that Navi 14 shit, thats basically a bunch of display ports and thats it.

xrnzaaas

They're doing all they can to make this game flop on PC.

Personally I'm wondering how it'll run in the performance mode on the consoles, probably gonna look like crap.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They're doing all they can to make this game flop on PC.

Of the top 10 most popular GPUs only 3 dont support Mesh Shaders.

This game being a benchmark game is a good thing.
Itll hopefully sell well and be used in future benchmarks to show off just how far we can push graphics.
I dont expect its CPU utilization to be as high as CyberPunk but atleast on the graphical side of things, it looks to be doing some cool shit.

Remedy already have publishers for their next two games, so I dont think they are pining for cash regardless of Alan Wake 2s success or failure.

Is it UE5 game? Because if it is, it means that either UE5 is a mess (as we haven't seen a decently running game in UE5 yet) or developers are not that great.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm excited to see devs really pushing new next-gen rendering paradigms. This stuff is technically amazing and really changes the way games are arted and designed.

I get that it's a drag when your old computer can't run the new thing, but selfishly I am looking forward to games pushing the bleeding edge.

demigod

220px-SH1_rifle.jpg

PS5 will have to do a lot of the carrying. Almost sounds like they're intentionally trying to tank their PC sales. For one, it's an EGS exclusive, and for two, around 1/3rd of the crowd on PC is still on Pascal and older GPUs. I'm all for adopting new tech and dropping old stuff though.
This game is going to flop hard. I give it less than 3 months and it’ll either be on ps plus or gamepass.

Top Bottom