• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

ultrazilla

Gold Member
"cooperative third-person survival shooter"

The first preview (IGN gameplay video) proved that it was an arcadey leaning shooter.

So no opinion at all. Perhaps you need to start studying video games since the early 80s.

I'm 49 fyi. What we probably should agree on is that this breaks down to semantics. IMO, "cooperative third-person survival shooter" does not give me the impression it's a "arcade(y) leaning shooter".

We can agree to disagree. Cheers!

Wplz.gif

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Yeah, my reception is similar, I get it that you can achieve a lot with superior firepower, but I still think the xenomorphs were made a smaller threat later on when compared to the first film.
That's mainly because the crew in the first film weren't remotely equipped to deal with them.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

IMO we are in a trap of better graphics (more realistic, more detailed, more cinematic like) but it really does not benefit gameplay as it puts too much stress on human eyes and perception (while in motion).

For example I compared lately Tekken 4 with Tekken 7 and the former seems more functional and artistically better.
Agreed. We've been in a weird pocket ever since the whole BR fad really took off, I feel. Of course COVID didn't really help any of that either.

Oh yeah, T4 did some very interesting and different things. I don't think people gave what it did enough credit, even if the reaction to it was iffy.

Shit, I felt that way looking at footage of Gears 1 and 2 compared to 5. There were things that the originals did better than the newer games. Same feelings kind of exist with L4D 1/2 and Back4Blood, though they're not directly related, they are most certainly affiliated, haha.

That's mainly because the crew in the first film weren't remotely equipped to deal with them.
Yuuuup. For whatever reason a lot of people pictured them as unstoppable killing machines, and they're not. With the right firepower of course, haha.

It's why I love the vibe of Alien and Aliens equally, but for different reasons. I love the idea of Xenos feeling like unstoppable killing machines, but then I also like the idea of them being bugs and a team of bad asses keeping them in check.

Last edited:

Karak

Can’t say I’m at all shocked of the scores it has received nor am I let down:

Ya this is actually weirdly surprising. I was guessing low 40's at most(which is where the actual curve for suggesting it is there). So thats good if it keeps them going so they can fix and patch everything. Content patches would be great as well.

WitchHunter

Banned
Innovation is not just about extra resources allocated to a feature. It's mostly ideas that are not following the norm. Tiny details, smart solutions, essentially what spice is for foods.

molasar

Banned
I'm 49 fyi. What we probably should agree on is that this breaks down to semantics. IMO, "cooperative third-person survival shooter" does not give me the impression it's a "arcade(y) leaning shooter".

We can agree to disagree. Cheers!

Wplz.gif

Not much older than me. Cooperative third person shooters are nothing new since the 80s. And yes, you had to survive in those shooters too.

I still suggest you to study evolution of video games.

BTW no hard feelings as whatever statements we make here do not oblige us to anything.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Not much older than me. Cooperative third person shooters are nothing new since the 80s. And yes, you had to survive in those shooters too.

I still suggest you to study evolution of video games.

BTW no hard feelings as whatever statements we make here do not oblige us to anything.

No need to study evolution of video games. I've played almost every system since the original PONG. In the end, like I said it's semantics.
We're bumping heads over differing opinions. I've said all I have to say here and yes, no hard feelings at all. I'm going to buy the game as
I'm a die-hard ALIEN(S) fan. 👍 :messenger_sunglasses:

MiguelItUp

The most generous review I've seen gave it a 73. PC Gamer. I'll wait for a discount and some patches.
Really? I've actually seen more 8.0s than anything. It's just all up to the viewer/readers preference and who gets their views and clicks. 🤷‍♂️ A lot of those were YouTube reviews with a fairly large following though. Half of the outlets on Opencritic and Metacritic I've never heard of, lmao. Like the ONE person that anchored the score by giving it a 3.5. There's always one, it's why I don't care for those platforms.

But yeah, if you don't think it's gonna be up your alley waiting doesn't hurt. It'll drop in price, and more content will be available. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Von

VN1X

Banned
Wholeheartedly agree dude.

I saw that post yesterday! I thought it was awesome to see someone feel that way about Covenant, haha. Especially since Covenant, to me, was not my LEAST favorite, but it also wasn't my favorite, haha. Opinions are an amazing thing. It blows my mind how two people can have a TOTALLY different perspective on the same experience. I think that's when it's really cool to have discussions, to try and see if you can see where the other person is coming from, etc. Rather than the approach of your opinion being factual over another person's, lol.
The same people who herald industry reviews as the 'end all be all' seem to forget that IGN gave Cyberpunk a 9.9 btw. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The more I see of this in the reviews the more I think I might just sit tight and wait for a discount. Looks like a fun game while it lasts but maybe not worth $40 IMO...or maybe Ill wait till the season pass edition is $40

What settings does this game run on consoles like Ps4 pro or x1x for example? 60fps?

Not sure of the exact specs but Eurogamer's review discussion made a mention that the framerate was not stable on PS4 and that it looked "muddy". Not sure if they said if it was the Pro or standard PS4.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Aliens: Fireteam Elite reviewed on PC by Kyle Campbell. Also available on Xbox and PlayStation.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite does enough right to be plenty worthwhile for a trio of co-op shooter fans who'd rather battle hordes of xenomorphs than the usual zombies. Between the excellent weapons, classes, and enemy types and some wonderful nostalgic hat-tips toward what came before, it's a must-play if you hold any fondness for this series. The caveats, of course, are having to put up with repetitive scenarios and some excruciatingly drawn-out missions. Aliens: Fireteam Elite may not be a triumphant win, but it's far from a game over, man.

Last edited:

Von

I’m usually a sucker for photo modes but it would be a shame they didn’t include one post launch just during solo missions.

molasar

Banned
It seems that all DLC packs are not exclusive and can be purchased separately. Even a standard edition can be upgraded to deluxe one.

MiguelItUp

We live in a timeline where we got this trash instead of Isolation 2.

Jesus.
Just because it isn't Alien Isolation 2 doesn't mean it's trash. :)

Alien had a great game, Aliens deserves something decent (or at least better than) Colonial Marines.

Though I still hope Isolation 2 could still happen someday.

Arachnid

Just because it isn't Alien Isolation 2 doesn't mean it's trash. :)

Alien had a great game, Aliens deserves something decent (or at least better than) Colonial Marines.

Though I still hope Isolation 2 could still happen someday.
I'm more basing it off reviews being pretty mediocre thus far. It's sitting at a 70-72 across consoles on Metacritic, and it's dropping. If it was a great game, I'd be all for it. I'm always for more Alien media. As far as I can tell though, we're losing out.

MiguelItUp

I'm more basing it off reviews being pretty mediocre thus far. It's sitting at a 70-72 across consoles on Metacritic, and it's dropping. If it was a great game, I'd be all for it. I'm always for more Alien media. As far as I can tell though, we're losing out.
Well, for a first time indie/AA dev handling a huge IP with a AA budget, I personally think they're fairing pretty well. The Metacritic score was anchored by ONE extremely low rating, everything else sits at 70-80 for the most part. I've personally seen more 8/10 or 80s than anything. Which means average/slightly above average. I just wish people would stop giving Metacritic and Opencritic so much praise, half the outlets no one has even heard of and they don't even know how reputable they are. They just see numbers and colors and immediately let it affect their personal opinion.

People somehow expected this game to be reviewed like a successful AAA title and that was never meant to be the case. Some people love it, some people don't, that doesn't mean the game is awful, or a failure. I personally think it's more of a win for them, especially for a first project with a team of less than 45 people.

As long as the game sells decently, we're good, and that's all I want. Because I want more Alien/s related games.

MiguelItUp

I play the game on PC. Gameplay and controls are just as I expected. Definitely not worse than clunky Gears of War.
I'm unfortunately still waiting for mine.

There was an issue with my preorder, so now I'm just patiently waiting, though I was really hoping to play some this morning before work. :(

Got wiped on the last bit of the third mission of the first campaign.

Maybe I shouldn't have activated the "spawns more xenos" challenge card... :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Oof, yeah, sounds like that card won, lol.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm a massive fan of the aliens franchise and this absolutely nails the visuals and the sounds. The iconic gun looks and sounds and alien squeals are all there and as good as they've ever been. Mowing down waves of aliens with the smart gun has never been better.

I wish the main fodder aliens were the warrior ones from Aliens the second movie instead of like little dog aliens, they're my favourite ever design.

The menu controls are atrocious though. Everyone seems to be doing the left-analogue-as-a-mouse menu system cause it's basically a mouse UI so works on pc too easily, and it's hot garbage on controllers.

It's a nice 6-7 out of 10 for me so far, that's using the full 0-10 scale though. Not great, but as an aliens fan it scratches that itch the way no other aliens game has in a long time.

MiguelItUp

The menu controls are atrocious though. Everyone seems to be doing the left-analogue-as-a-mouse menu system cause it's basically a mouse UI so works on pc too easily, and it's hot garbage on controllers.
That was one thing I noticed in videos that I'm not a big fan of, the whole "mouse UI" thing. It's a minor gripe, but man, it's never changed. I can't remember a title that did it in a way where it felt "good" or even fitting. It always felt off or floaty to me. I'll never understand it, lol.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That was one thing I noticed in videos that I'm not a big fan of, the whole "mouse UI" thing. It's a minor gripe, but man, it's never changed. I can't remember a title that did it in a way where it felt "good" or even fitting. It always felt off or floaty to me. I'll never understand it, lol.
Especially when the game has little fiddly buttons to press like this one. It's just terrible.

Played for a few hours last night. It's alright. My enjoyment went down once I started fighting the robots and it turned into a bog-standard cover shooter. And then at the third act of the second mission, we wiped because the AI is too dumb (which, to be fair, the devs did place a warning that the AI isnt up to snuff on harder difficulties) and tried to heal themselves in the middle of a group of enemies, and then we were overrun by bullet sponge elites that know they're bullet sponges so they just casually advance forward... reminded me of The Division in that regard lol

That said, I'm a sucker for anything Aliens so I can see myself playing this for a few more weeks before I get bored.

MiguelItUp

PSA: Walmart has this game for $33.99 right now. It was enough of a dip for me to bite on it.
Nice!

From what I've seen, it really does look like Cold Iron has done everything they could with what they had. Still wild to see a budget AA title come out decent, and has planned free DLC content coming. Something I hope is applauded considering the state of monetization in gaming over the past few years. Also hope there's a lot of it coming, but I guess we'll see.

Here's to hoping there's going to continue to be roadmaps.

MiguelItUp

This and the price drop is what got me to jump on it. I have fairly low expectations but it should be fun for at least a dozen hours or so.
And there's nothing wrong with that! Hell, its retail price is the cost of a single meal at some places for my gf & I, and that's something that doesn't last forever!

At least with this you're supporting a dev with good intent, and hopefully you have some good/decent fun with it to boot!

Top Bottom