• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

You know what intrigues me quite a lot? Pseudo-Spoilers
How are they going to handle the 10 years time skip? If we can truly go back to previously explored areas, does that mean we get to see places and cities after the skip? Older Cindy and other characters?
I think it could go two ways.

The easy way: Everyone who isn't a necessary part of the story is either dead or imprisoned (or completely forgotten) and they just leave it at that.

OR

The "actually takes time to develop" way: All the characters are still there, have been given new designs to show 10 years have past, and either have the same role but in a different way or a completely new role.

The easy way: Everyone who isn't a necessary part of the story is either dead or imprisoned (or completely forgotten) and they just leave it at that.

OR

The "actually takes time to develop" way: All the characters are still there, have been given new designs to show 10 years have past, and either have the same role but in a different way or a completely new role.
Or the third option (which is kind of your first option): the time skip happens at the very end of the game, taking you to a linear part, like a final dungeon (aka Lucis), so all the other characters don't need to be re-introduced anymore. Except for the final boss and maybe some others as well of course.

Ishida

Banned

OR

Or the third option (which is kind of your first option): the time skip happens at the very end of the hame, taking you to a linear part, like a final dungeon (aka Lucis), so all the other characters don't need to be re-introduced anymore. Except for the final boss and maybe some others as well of course.

Yeah, I think they will go with the third option (No backtracking once the 10 years skip happens).

By the way, I'm also still intrigued by the other summons present in the Big Bang illustration. You know, the ones that are not part of
the "big 6",
like Odin or what seems to be Doomtrain.

I wonder if they will truly be there in the game...

Or the third option (which is kind of your first option): the time skip happens at the very end of the game, taking you to a linear part, like a final dungeon (aka Lucis), so all the other characters don't need to be re-introduced anymore. Except for the final boss and maybe some others as well of course.
Yeah that makes a lot more sense actually. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Would have preferred the second option though mostly cause I wanted to see how everyone would look. But yeah let's go with number 3.

This is what I'm imagining, although I'll be psyched if there's a meatier post time skip chunk of game (but are they really going to advance the whole world map 10 years?)

Re invisible walls in the water, I can't be bothered to care. Only Devils play beyond here, etc...

RiverKwai

In case anyone cares, we've got some HQ videos from the first few hours of the game. Nothing exciting in terms of content, but quality should be the best for this game yet :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_ffxv_videos_maison-18486_en.html

(Also our podcast with our impressions from these few hours)

This game looks like hotness. I saw Kingsglaive, but other than that, that's all the videos I watched until I got bored tonight and dl the Gamersyde videos. No idea what to expect, but I'm in day 1. .

This game looks like hotness. I saw Kingsglaive, but other than that, that's all the videos I watched until I got bored tonight and dl the Gamersyde videos. No idea what to expect, but I'm in day 1. .

You should definitely watch the Brotherhood anime. It adds A LOT to the main cast.

German sites are really taking their time for this round of previews, the only site that has one so far is Gameswelt:

http://www.gameswelt.de/final-fantasy-xv/preview/der-rpg-kracher-des-jahres,267015

I only had a short look over it, but it's very positiv with saying stuff like "one of the most impressive gameworlds I've ever seen." They also say the German VO is good and the main characters are well written.
Criticism goes to the camera and some animation problems.

They also have a very short video up, you can hear a tiny bit of the German VO here:

http://www.gameswelt.tv/final-fantasy-xv/final-fantasy-xv,54799
Disappointing that that's all we got so far in terms of german dub impressions. Just too short. Square Enix could do a bit more and not only think about the english dub audience.

Koozek

Disappointing that that's all we got so far in terms of german dub impressions. Just too short. Square Enix could do a bit more and not only think about the english dub audience.
Yeah. We heard a lot of the French dub today and it sounded really good, in fact even better than the English one and at parts even more natural than the Japanese one, imo (Cor had a terriblly unfitting voice, though). Didn't expect that. Now, to be fair, I don't speak either French or Japanese, but you can still tell if it's overacted and unfortunately Japanese VAs in general overact way too much for my taste. I'm now seriously thinking about playing with the French dub + German subs. Either that or Japanese dub + German subs. The English main cast sounds just too bad.

JBwB

We still have the final preview coming from usgamer right? They still haven't talked about the latter chapters yet.

Tyaren

Still no news from major German gaming sites for the game. :/ I thought they had an event for this like the French, Italians and Spaniards did? It's like they enjoyed playing the game for hours and then decided to keep all the fun for themselves. XD I really want to see more material of the German localisation since it also got the special dubbing treatment.

Still no news from major German gaming sites for the game. :/ I thought they had an event for this like the French, Italians and Spaniards did? It's like they enjoyed playing the game for hours and then decided to keep all the fun for themselves. XD I really want to see more material of the German localisation since it also got the special dubbing treatment.

I was not following this thread a lot, but what's so special about this German dub?

Koozek

I was not following this thread a lot, but what's so special about this German dub?
Well, the fact that a (singleplayer) FF has a German dub :D I'm really curious too if it's better than I expect. I think Germany is slowly getting a bit better at game dubs (TW3 was not that bad from what little I heard at least).

I just got to give a shout out to how much this game has improved visually over the last couple of months.

I mean the new footage straight up looks like a big improvement on Duscae overall.

New footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jhtTl36J8

Duscae demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDI0p2wf1J4

To me it is impressive how much they have managed to bring the visuals up to spec. This is more of showcase than FFXIII was for its time.

Very nice improvement.

Yeah, disappointing. Why do I get the impression that other countries care more than Germany? What is the german media doing?
Anyways, what I found is the post credit scene of the Kingsglaive movie (SPOILER?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sbxTKYHNfc

And a badly recorded gamescom video of the bro's departure (sound picks up after a few secs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7xle8tSm6g

Sounds good, so far.

Duscae is 18 months old tbf

I'd like to see what stage the game was at in September, which was the last release date before the most recent delay iirc. Not sure what builds they were showing at that time.

Ishida

Banned
Duscae is 18 months old tbf

I'd like to see what stage the game was at in September, which was the last release date before the most recent delay iirc. Not sure what builds they were showing at that time.

Check out the Gamescom demo. That's pretty much the build they would've released in September (Plus a Day One patch).

Koozek

Just noticed that gameswelt uploaded a longer 5m preview video with a few more german dub scenes:
http://www.gameswelt.tv/final-fantasy-xv/video-preview,54819

Cidney sounds a bit too old to me? Anyways, the german version going with the original name Cidney instead of Cindy just shows once again that they didn't care what the US localization was doing. Good.
Oh nice, thanks! Lol, yeah, her voice doesn't fit.

What did he say about framerate? Koozek?
̶N̶̶o̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶I̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶u̶̶e̶̶s̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶d̶̶n̶̶'̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶u̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶a̶̶r̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶u̶̶l̶̶a̶̶r̶̶l̶̶y̶̶.̶̶ ̶

EDIT: Don't listen to me.
At the 5m mark he mentions a stable 30 fps framerate with only few slowdowns.

Btw, a lot of praise for how beautiful, lively, and detailed the world and cities were.

Tyaren

Just noticed that gameswelt uploaded a longer 6m preview video with a few more german dub scenes:
http://www.gameswelt.tv/final-fantasy-xv/video-preview,54819

Cidney sounds a bit too old to me? Anyways, the german version going with the original name Cidney instead of Cindy just shows once again that they didn't care what the US localization was doing. Good.

Lol, Gameswelt probably noticed that they were the only German site that bothered doing a preview, even if a pretty lazy one, and so they sneakily switched their 1 minute preview video out for a now over 5 minutes long preview. It's so sad. XD

Cidney (Cindy) sounds terrible in German by the way. Like an old woman...or a man trying to sound like a woman actually.
The scene with Iris also sounded very unnatural and stilted, right after the previewer said the German dub was well done. Nah, not really...

What did he say about framerate? Koozek?

̶N̶̶o̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶I̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶u̶̶e̶̶s̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶d̶̶n̶̶'̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶u̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶a̶̶r̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶u̶̶l̶̶a̶̶r̶̶l̶̶y̶̶.̶̶ ̶

Yep, he said even though the game looks now graphically much nicer than before, they also improved the framerate to a solid 30fps. On just a few occasions it hitches.

Good to get confirmation. All the footage we have seen for the last 3-4 weeks has looked really smooth anyway.

I imagine we will see frame dips when casting super high tier spells on very large groups of enemies...maybe.

benzy

Btw, a lot of praise for how beautiful, lively, and detailed the world and cities were.

1361893311_birdman-rapper-rubbing-hands.gif

Gbraga

I hope reviewers get to test the post-patch camera before the game comes out, I'd love to get impressions of what actually changed from people who got to play with the pre-patch one for a while.

>snip<
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/p5VcLDi.png[/IMG]

I hope reviewers get to test the post-patch camera before the game comes out, I'd love to get impressions of what actually changed from people who got to play with the pre-patch one for a while.
Regarding that one twitter comment: They also said in the german preview that SE actually promised a day one patch which is supposed to address the camera problems in dungeons/indoors.

Ketaya

While Cidney does sound to old I wouldn't go so far to call it terrible. And the Iris scene I thought was pretty good honestly.
From what little we could hear so far I would say it's at the higher end of german videogame dubs. For sure better than something than the Uncharted series and at least on Witcher 3 level so far.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
It's Jeremy Parish. He's going to sink a lot of time into everything first.

Yeah. I'm 14 hours in now and barely have scratched the surface of Chapter 3, so I'm afraid that after the piece I'm working on today there'll be one more hands-on preview to go.

jschreier

I am assuming he is playing the preview copy that all the other outlets have been trying out?
I am! First five chapters. I have been told that my progress will carry over to the final review build so this is fantastic -- allows me to really take my time with the game for my review.

Top Bottom