• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime pick up Jack Ryan: TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

In a competitive situation, Jack Ryan, Paramount Television’s hot TV series project based on Tom Clancy’s popular CIA hero, has landed at Amazon. I hear the streaming service has given a series commitment to the drama, from the former Lost duo of co-showrunner Carlton Cuse and writer Graham Roland, Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes, Skydance Media, as well as Paramount TV. Everyone’s intention is to go straight-to-series on the project, which would be done based on completed scripts and a bible.

Amazon is considered a suitable home for Jack Ryan as the online retailer sells Clancy’s books as well as the Jack Ryan movies on DVD and is the streaming home for most or all of them, creating opportunities for a multi-platform push for the show. Paramount TV already is in business with Amazon, developing a series adaptation of the Paramount movie Galaxy Quest.

Conceived by Cuse and Roland based on Clancy’s novels, I had heard that the show is not a direct adaptation of the books as were the first Jack Ryan movies but a new contemporary take on the character in his prime as a CIA analyst/operative using the novels as source material. Roland executive produces with Cuse and Lindsey Springer of Carlton Cuse Prods. as well as Platinum Dunes’ Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form and the movie franchise’s producer Mace Neufeld.

http://deadline.com/2015/09/jack-ry...arlton-cuse-michael-bay-paramount-1201551108/

sarcastor

john-kraniski.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/29/john-krasinski-jack-ryan-amazon

so 5 different actors. This is almost as bad as James Bond.

Alec Baldwin > Harisson Ford > Ben Afflect > Chris Pine.

Although that's more a review of the movies then the actors I guess.

Akahige

I like the guy well enough but I'm having trouble picturing this.
I can't see it, he doesn't fit the part to me, but I'll give it a try.

How was the Chris Pine movie?
The Chris Pine flick was shit. Poorly developed and plodding.

pestul

Weird to think that Krasinski was NEARLY gonna be Captain America.
Using that image above.. he looks exactly like Chris Evans too. Well, if in the video game character creator screen you scrolled the nose and the ears all the way to the right.

Darkangel

Just give me a proper Tom Clancy Cinematic Universe already.

You could have the mainline Jack Ryan books, the spinoffs, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, An Avengers-Style "Endwar", etc...

Both played kirk (father and son) in the star trek movie. Both share the same name. Both have had shite careers for the most part

And now both are where they belong. Starring soon as the male eye candy in female lead franchise films lmao

Ridley327

Chris Pine vs Chris Hemsworth: the battle of the failed Leading Men

I'd watch that movie

with them teaming up at the end to fight Taylor Kitsch

The final fight has to take place at the center of the earth, since that's how far down Kitsch's career has been buried.

Dead

well not really...yet
Chris Pine vs Chris Hemsworth: the battle of the failed Leading Men

I'd watch that movie

with them teaming up at the end to fight Taylor Kitsch
just imagine how much more those marvel movies could gross if they didn't star Hemsworth!

I'm so confused. Why is this thread about Pine and Hemsworth now? And failed leading men? Aren't the movies they're in pretty popular? What am I missing here?

Both played kirk (father and son) in the star trek movie. Both share the same name. Both have had shite careers for the most part

And now both are where they belong. Starring soon as the male eye candy in female lead franchise films lmao

both better pray to GOD their respective star franchises(MCU and Star Trek) dont end any time soon

The final fight has to take place at the center of the earth, since that's how far down Kitsch's career has been buried.

mid-credit teaser for the sequel, where a cabal of failed Leading Men arguing among themselves. Henry Cavil and Armie Hammer getting angry about Man from U.N.C.L.E. flopping, there's an empty chair where Ryan Reynolds used to sit until Deadpool, Charlie Hunnam and Jai Courtney just yelling incohrently, when suddenly, a very unconvincing American accent rings across the table from a chair with its back towards the camera. "Gentlemen...I know exactly what we need to do."

The chair turns around, and its Sam fuckin' Worthington star of the beloved Avatar franchise

"the numbers never lie"

the_last_days_of_american_crime_24598.jpg

Plasma

Banned
I really liked the two Jack Ryan films that Harrison Ford did, the others not so much.

I'll give this a shot though.

he's suppose to be a CIA analyst. Not a field agent. Or a cover model for Runner's world :)

that's actually one of my favorite things about the original Jack Ryan movie, The Hunt for Red Octoberl. Its an exciting pulpy thriller mostly about people using their brains. Like half the 134-minute runtime is nerdy Alec Baldwin explaining realpolitik concepts to bureaucrats.

Like I could totally see Jim from the Office doing this shit

Corpekata

Banned
he's suppose to be a CIA analyst. Not a field agent. Or a cover model for Runner's world :)

Because the movies involving Jack Ryan have clearly been so faithful to the analyst concept.

The character the public knows is an action hero, not the eventual (two time lol) President of the United States. There's a reason Micheal Bay is producing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
wait

you're telling me Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit didn't launch a big film franchise?

whaaaaaaaaaaat

Shadow Recruit is such a bizarre film. It's not smart enough to be an engaging spy film, and the action isn't good enough for it to be a nice popcorn muncher. And Pine was seriously miscast too. I couldn't take him seriously as Jack Ryan.

I'm warming up to the idea of this show. Could be a nice Homeland substitute since that show is gradually going off the rails.

jelly

Good description of Shadow Recruit.

It's all a bit boring action star now. Only care for Ford and Baldwin takes.

I like my Jack Ryan as a pencil pusher in way over his head. So I'd actually prefer The Office Krasinski over buff Krasinski.

Slightly off-topic, but related real talk: I still don't know how Rainbow Six never got a film. Like, how.

Ubisoft is moving into film slowly. Best believe it will come up soon if everything goes well for their properties

Pine movie sucked. Afflecks was aiight I guess. Really liked Baldwins and Fords tho.

I'm intrigued, especially since Amazon's been pretty great with their series so far (watch House of God if you haven't yet). I like Krasinksi as an actor and would like to see if he can handle roles more outside his wheelhouse.

Ubisoft is moving into film slowly. Best believe it will come up soon if everything goes well for their properties

Pine movie sucked. Afflecks was aiight I guess. Really liked Baldwins and Fords tho.

Does Ubisoft own the movie rights to Rainbow Six? I assume Ridley is talking about the book the original game was based on...

WillyFive

Jack Ryan has always been perfect for a good TV show; there are so many cool and crazy stories that would never be told in movies simply due to how long it takes to get one through production.

wait

you're telling me Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit didn't launch a big film franchise?

whaaaaaaaaaaat

Movie sucked.

Partly because it wasn't based on an actual Jack Ryan book, and partly because it sucked.

DMczaf

I'm watching Clear and Present Danger right now

I think I'm ready for a final Harrison Ford Jack Ryan movie.

jackdoe

Jack Ryan isn't actually an action character, outside of his Patriot Games appearance. He's a desk analyst who through a string of coincidences and national tragedies becomes PotUS. John Clark is the better go to action character and probably should have been the character to get a TV show.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm watching Clear and Present Danger right now

I think I'm ready for a final Harrison Ford Jack Ryan movie.
Bear and the Dragon? With Old Jack becoming president after... Well, in case you didn't read the book:

After Congress gets blown up in a plot to destroy the American economy, he could then have to stop war while surviving the attack, ascending to the oval office, and catching the people who did it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Slightly off-topic, but related real talk: I still don't know how Rainbow Six never got a film. Like, how.
It's not for lack of trying. John Woo was attached to it over a decade ago. I think it went through a couple other failed incarnations as well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Worthy bumpy

Amazon Greenlights 10-Episode Season of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Exclusively for Amazon Prime Video

New Amazon series is slated to star John Krasinski

Set to be co-produced by Paramount and Skydance Television and executive produced by Carlton Cuse, Graham Roland, Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, Andrew Form, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Marcy Ross, Mace Neufeld and Lindsey Springer

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 16, 2016-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced it has greenlit Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan from Paramount and Skydance Television, to debut on Amazon Prime Video. The one-hour, 10-episode dramatic series is slated to star John Krasinski (13 Hours, The Office) as Jack Ryan and is projected to shoot in the US, Europe and Africa. Jack Ryan is a reinvention with a modern sensibility of the famed and lauded Tom Clancy hero, a character with a star-filled Hollywood history, having been previously portrayed by Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Ben Affleck and Chris Pine.

Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan follows an up-and-coming CIA analyst thrust into a dangerous field assignment for the first time. Set to executive produce are Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) and Graham Roland (Almost Human), who wrote the pilot based on a story he and Cuse developed. The series follows Ryan (Krasinski) as he uncovers a pattern in terrorist communication that launches him into the center of a dangerous gambit with a new breed of terrorism that threatens destruction on a global scale. Jack Ryan is set to be co-produced with Paramount and Skydance Television, executive produced by Platinum Dunes’ Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, and Andrew Form (Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), as well as Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross, along with Mace Neufeld (Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, The Sum of All Fears and Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit) and Lindsey Springer.

“We’re excited to add the Jack Ryan global franchise to our robust originals pipeline,” said Roy Price, Head of Amazon Studios. “Our customers will enjoy a compelling adaptation of the action-packed spy thriller book series, further raising the bar for the quality level of storytelling that has made Prime Video a leading destination for content.”

Amazon Original Series are available for Prime members to stream and enjoy using the Amazon Video app for TVs, connected devices including Amazon Fire TV, and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/originals, at no additional cost to their membership—Prime members can also download select titles to mobile devices for offline viewing. Customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for a free trial at www.amazon.com/prime. For a list of all Amazon Video compatible devices, visit www.amazon.com/howtostream.

In addition to streaming or downloading thousands of titles on Prime Video, Amazon Prime members enjoy fast, free shipping, unlimited access to more than a million songs with Prime Music, unlimited secure photo storage with Prime Photos, and more—customers can enjoy a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime today.
Story seems lifted from that zanny Tom Clancy Plot Generator.

Lego Boss

Just give me a proper Tom Clancy Cinematic Universe already.

You could have the mainline Jack Ryan books, the spinoffs, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, An Avengers-Style "Endwar", etc...

Yes, videogames have done this much better.

We could have STALKER scenario where the game, book and film are completely different but absolutely complementary.

Would be great to see.

Bear and the Dragon? With Old Jack becoming president after... Well, in case you didn't read the book:

After Congress gets blown up in a plot to destroy the American economy, he could then have to stop war while surviving the attack, ascending to the oval office, and catching the people who did it.

And you didn't even describe the really crazy parts of that scenario.
where the president and like half the government are killed by a suicidal Japanese airliner pilot diving his 747 into the Captiol during an address to a joint session of Congress, because of Japan's failure to ruin the American military and economy.

Debt of Honor was a hella stupid book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom