• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD to release new enthusiast RDNA3 cards this year

GHG

Sounds like it will be multiple cards based on the wording.

Will be interesting to see how close they manage to get to the 4090.

DaGwaphics

Since the 7900 series is billed as "ultra enthusiast", I take it that these will be below those in the line. Presumably the 7800 series.

I still think they should be trying to get the 7700 out the door as quick as possible, Nvidia really tripped over themselves trying to hold the door open for AMD in the $400-$500 price range.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Since the 7900 series is billed as "ultra enthusiast", I take it that these will be below those in the line. Presumably the 7800 series.

I still think they should be trying to get the 7700 out the door as quick as possible, Nvidia really tripped over themselves trying to hold the door open for AMD in the $400-$500 price range.
I assume they will just price whatever they release nicely in line with Nvidia (giving more weight to the people saying there's some dodgy dealings/price fixing going on), so that price-to-performance (MSRP that is) doesn't really change.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
It's the 7800 and 7700, they aren't launching anything above the 7900xtx.

If they price the cards decently, they could sell alright.
7800 for 499, 7700 for 399 would be good value.

supernova8

Banned
It's the 7800 and 7700, they aren't launching anything above the 7900xtx.

If they price the cards decently, they could sell alright.
7800 for 499, 7700 for 399 would be good value.
Probably depends on how much they're selling the chips to the AIBs for (ie how much leeway the AIBs have to lower prices to match demand if needed).

If it's anything like the 7900XT, they'll launch these new cards at garbage-tier prices and then they'll gradually float back down to earth.

Last edited:

Red5

Hope they can get 4070ti performance for 500$. I got my 1070 for 400$ back in the day and it still holds up, Nvidia prices are insane these days.

Hudo

I really need AMD and Intel to form some sort of alliance and develop either an open-source alternative to CUDA and its ecosystem or make bigger efforts into developing OpenCL. I fucking hate that I am essentially vendor-locked because of CUDA. Nvidia got me by the balls, those fuckers.

b0uncyfr0

If it's anything like the 7900XT, they'll launch these new cards at garbage-tier prices and then they'll gradually float back down to earth.
Have to agree. It makes no difference when/if these launch. If the prices arent right, they'll be DOA. Especialy if they dont perform better than NV cards.

If AMD dont get their heads out of their asses and start pricing these competitively, people will just keep buying older gen 70/80 cards at lower prices.

SABRE220

Until amd fixes their rt pipeline and to a lesser extent their ml their enthusiast cards will unfortunately remain underwhelming to enthusiasts who like to play at the best settings pushing tech. The 7900xtx gets beat by the 3090 in most rt workloads and gets destroyed by even a 3080ti in path tracing and yet they price gouge. We better hope amd gets their shit together by rdna4, or intel is our only hope.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Until amd fixes their rt pipeline and to a lesser extent their ml their enthusiast cards will unfortunately remain underwhelming to enthusiasts who like to play at the best settings pushing tech. The 7900xtx gets beat by the 3090 in most rt workloads and gets destroyed by even a 3080ti in path tracing and yet they price gouge. We better hope amd gets their shit together by rdna4, or intel is our only hope.
Sure to enthusiasts, but there's nothing stopping them releasing a really powerful mid-tier/entry-level priced (like $200-$300) relative to what Nvidia has at that price range to just obliterate the competition. If AMD has a cost advantage (ie they can afford to price their stuff lower while still making a profit), why not take advantage of that advantage and either take market share or force Nvidia to start losing money on every card?

If AMD had released a 7700 XT with 16GB at like $350 that wipes the floor with even the 4060 Ti 16GB, people would buy the damn thing.

People in the lower tiers don't give a shit about RT and the current iteration of FSR seems fine for what it's meant to do. Sure not as good as DLSS but at lower price points, "fine" at a lower cost is what people want.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The prices seem so suspect I gave up hope for AMD GPUs TBH.

But what I dont understand is why they are killing it with CPUs and why they arent more aggressive with GPUs?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

But what I dont understand is why they are killing it with CPUs and why they arent more aggressive with GPUs?
So... I know this will just sound super cynical but money.

Now obviously much of this will be from the PS5 + Xbox Series, but keep in mind it will be balanced again Nvidia having the switch.

I suspect that because of the Chiplet design and therefore better yields the AMD chips will cost substantially less to produce, they are however not passing this saving onto the consumer as they are just looking at Nvidia pricing and matching that vs their lower feature set.

Could be completely wrong, but with no serious competition, that's how it's going to be, all they need to do is not be worse than nvidia in pricing.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

I've seen an argument that says AMD doesn't have enough allocated capacity at TSMC to be "killing it" in both CPUs and GPUs at the same time. Not sure if it's true, but assuming they are taking more and more market share in CPU (especially datacenter), their priority is probably more on having loads of capacity for CPUs as opposed to GPUs (where they might not necessarily "win" even if they have the best GPU in terms of raw performance due to Nvidia shenanigans of some sort).

Last edited:

I think the GPU market is more tough. I remember DF's interview with Intel and Intel even remarked how difficult the process was in developing a GPU.

Nvidia have been at it for around 25 years, and they pour more R&D into it compared to AMD and Intel.

The struggles AMD have been having with RDNA 3 and even driver support are proof of this. AMD also seem to give it a lot of mixed messaging, "we want to compete in the high end", and then we see their flagship card struggling against the 4080 on rasterization, and let's not even get started with ray-tracing.

Reallink

So... I know this will just sound super cynical but money.

Now obviously much of this will be from the PS5 + Xbox Series, but keep in mind it will be balanced again Nvidia having the switch.

I suspect that because of the Chiplet design and therefore better yields the AMD chips will cost substantially less to produce, they are however not passing this saving onto the consumer as they are just looking at Nvidia pricing and matching that vs their lower feature set.

Could be completely wrong, but with no serious competition, that's how it's going to be, all they need to do is not be worse than nvidia in pricing.

The console chips cost up to 10x more than the Switch's Tegra X1 (not hyperbole). It's a decade old mobile part built on an ancient node that Nvidia fire-sold to Nintendo cause no one else would buy them.

theclaw135

Banned

AMD threw in the towel on ultra enthusiast cards years ago. They currently have no flagship desktop GPU over $1000. (the 7900xtx narrowly slid under)

Kakax11

Banned
Yeah NOPE they won't

I remember this promise too

7335_333_amd-radeon-r9-nano-video-card-review-fury-dead_full.png

SodaZA

Have to agree. It makes no difference when/if these launch. If the prices arent right, they'll be DOA. Especialy if they dont perform better than NV cards.

If AMD dont get their heads out of their asses and start pricing these competitively, people will just keep buying older gen 70/80 cards at lower prices.
I already caved and bought a 6800 XT for a steal
It even came with Starfield

Rickyiez

RDNA3 is still terrible no matter how close it is to 4090 . It's efficiency is embarrassing compared to Nvidia .

For roughly the same FPS , look at the crazy power draw

gPc42ov.png

I'm not going to touch these cards with a 10 foot pole , they should just focus on RDNA4 instead

Bernoulli

M2 slut
This just means 7700 and 7800
Will probably be close or inferior to the RTX equivalent and cost 50 less
Then AMD will drop the price after seeing that no one is buying them
Oops I Did It Again GIF by Britney Spears

Allandor

I hope it is 7950XTX as 6950 was pretty damn good. Might place itself middle of 4080 and 4090.

I hope only if they fixed their power problem. The card already takes to much power (for no obvious reason). If they fixed that problem, than nothing stands in its way.

FingerBang

I imagine it's just the 7700 and 7800 here, and because they went the Nvidia way by basically naming the cards a tier above what they're supposed to be, they will perform at best like the previous generation for a slightly cheaper price, without the advantage of frame generation. They have no intention of disrupting the market. They are more than happy to play ball with Nvidia.

They are obviously not the good guy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kind of feels like the midgen refresh we expect from Nvidia but if they do release something I'm almost certain it'll be on par with a 4090 or else it would be a little bit concerning. That and they would fill other gaps in between. Could potentially go unchecked until Nvidia releases their new stuff but I'm sure they actually may have something in the works as it would be pretty weird for them to leave AMD in the raster lead for an extended period of time.

Truth be told Nvidia still has the feature sets for the most part and dlss is a massive part of that. But money talks and for those that need a cheaper alternative that gets the job done for the most part, AMD maybe a good choice.

Easy enough for AMD to release their new stuff and I am interested in everything coming out but I'm really curious to see what Nvidia will have because they have been pretty dominant and my go-to for a long time and that doesn't look to change anytime soon just due to the features they offer and of course the rates racing performance and AI benefits that do seem to be expanding as we go along which makes Nvidia look more attractive to probably a lot of people when they're thinking of AI.

SABRE220

Sure to enthusiasts, but there's nothing stopping them releasing a really powerful mid-tier/entry-level priced (like $200-$300) relative to what Nvidia has at that price range to just obliterate the competition. If AMD has a cost advantage (ie they can afford to price their stuff lower while still making a profit), why not take advantage of that advantage and either take market share or force Nvidia to start losing money on every card?

If AMD had released a 7700 XT with 16GB at like $350 that wipes the floor with even the 4060 Ti 16GB, people would buy the damn thing.

People in the lower tiers don't give a shit about RT and the current iteration of FSR seems fine for what it's meant to do. Sure not as good as DLSS but at lower price points, "fine" at a lower cost is what people want.
Not just to enthusiasts, people were using raytracing even when having a 2060ti and running games at high at 1080p etc. Raytracing is not just a toptier card thing i dont know why people keep pretending it is. Even low/mid range cards like 2070ti etc can handle raytracing just fine with adjusted settings with dlss. Sadly once games use comprehensive rt benchmarks like pathtracing even something like a 3070 can ambarass a damn 7900xtx so even in the mid end budget segment amd loses out since the rtx4xxx series is just much more efficient in terms of architecture/power draw. Nvidias brand image has been set as the higher quality product at all segments due to the superior software features dlss/rt etc and sadly its hard to argue against it. With dlss you can play cyberpunk at overdrive mode at very high settings on a 3080 at around 1440p at over 30fps while the 7900xtx cannot so even in the budget segment what will amd throw out that makes up for that.

They would legit need to offer a 7800xt at 350$ really to claw back some market share because at this point nvidia just offers better everything and amd essentially threw in the towel generally and just accept customers who cant get nvidia cards and just price gouge them.

I love amd but they have been shambolic since past the ps4 gen.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Not just to enthusiasts, people were using raytracing even when having a 2060ti and running games at high at 1080p etc. Raytracing is not just a toptier card thing i dont know why people keep pretending it is. Even low/mid range cards like 2070ti etc can handle raytracing just fine with adjusted settings with dlss. Sadly once games use comprehensive rt benchmarks like pathtracing even something like a 3070 can ambarass a damn 7900xtx so even in the mid end budget segment amd loses out since the rtx4xxx series is just much more efficient in terms of architecture/power draw. Nvidias brand image has been set as the higher quality product at all segments due to the superior software features dlss/rt etc and sadly its hard to argue against it. With dlss you can play cyberpunk at overdrive mode at very high settings on a 3080 at around 1440p at over 30fps while the 7900xtx cannot so even in the budget segment what will amd throw out that makes up for that.

They would legit need to offer a 7800xt at 350$ really to claw back some market share because at this point nvidia just offers better everything and amd essentially threw in the towel generally and just accept customers who cant get nvidia cards and just price gouge them.

I love amd but they have been shambolic since past the ps4 gen.

I had a 2070Super and Rt on that card sucked ass for ray-tracing. In most games, turning on RT would reduce performance to half.
Even with DLSSQ, at 1440p most games would go down to 60 fps or lower. So I would always disable RT to get decent performance. And in most games RT didn't make much of a diference in terms of image quality.
30 fps is unplayable. I would never, ever sacrifice gameplay to get pretty graphics.

SABRE220

AMD threw in the towel on ultra enthusiast cards years ago. They currently have no flagship desktop GPU over $1000. (the 7900xtx narrowly slid under)
Amd threw in the towel generally, rdna3 is just a terrible architecture all round, its pathetic in comprehensive rt benchmarks where even a 3070 embarrasses a 7900xtx in path tracing, is very inefficient in comparison to nvidias rtx4xxx in terms of heat and power draw and the worst part is that amd gave up any effort in actually competing and decided their competitive strategy is to give up on actually investing in r&d to compete and instead accept the customers who cant get nvidia cards* and price gouge them.

They had the perfect opportunity to actually advance their tech after rdna 2 and come out swinging, but decided they were going to go the comfortable cowardly route and ignore the hardwork of investing in actual dedicated units for ml/ai and rt and basically delivered a product with barely any significant improvement over rdna2 in terms of per cu gain(50% per unit improvement my ass). Hell intel with their first dedicated gpu has a more comprehensive and advanced gpu architecture in terms of image reconstruction and rt pipeline and they just entered the market....rdna3 came after thats just embarrassing...and now they are going back to dedicated units for ml/rt for rdna4 like it wasnt important earlier when everyone with eyes could see that was the path forward leaving them 2 gens behind in terms of learning compared to the competition.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Hope they can get 4070ti performance for 500$. I got my 1070 for 400$ back in the day and it still holds up, Nvidia prices are insane these days.

That’s the 7900XT, which is a couple hundred dollars more.

They’re not going to introduce a new card that completely undermines it.

Last edited:
I've seen an argument that says AMD doesn't have enough allocated capacity at TSMC to be "killing it" in both CPUs and GPUs at the same time. Not sure if it's true, but assuming they are taking more and more market share in CPU (especially datacenter), their priority is probably more on having loads of capacity for CPUs as opposed to GPUs (where they might not necessarily "win" even if they have the best GPU in terms of raw performance due to Nvidia shenanigans of some sort).
I'm the one who's been saying that a while now but it's also been falling on deaf ears awhile now too. Everyone depends on TSMC to make their best chips on the most advanced nodes and there simply isn't enough capacity.

Apple sells a few hundred million iPhones every year and that ties up most of TSMC's advanced capacity singlehandedly. Nvidia are paying top dollar for what they can get to sell AI chips. Qualcomm takes a lot of what's left to sell their tens of millions of Snapdragon yearly.

And then, after all these other players, we have AMD trying to get the scraps for making CPU's and GPU's and right now AMD are eating Intel alive on CPU but losing quite badly in GPU's so it doesn't take a genius to figure out why AMD are prioritizing CPU production.

They are pricing their GPU products exactly as intended, to sell what little product they have to the few truly dedicated cultists. Even if they cut prices by 50% it would do them no good, they would just sell the same limited amount of product and make half as much. This is stupid so they price with a slight undercut to Nvidia and pocket the nice margin instead.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The 7900xtx is a fast card, no card over 1000$ and yet people complain aboit prices. Such a weird take.

The 7900XTX outperforms the more expensive 4080 in pure rasterization quite often, for hundreds less.

I’d rather have that pure power over Ray tracing, which is arguably a big waste.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What the fuck is taking them so long with the 7700 and 7800?? The 7000 series literally goes from 299, to 899+ with nothing in between smh.

winjer

Gold Member
What the fuck is taking them so long with the 7700 and 7800?? The 7000 series literally goes from 299, to 899+ with nothing in between smh.

Supposedly, these new GPUs will use RDNA3.5
And hopefully it will improve on this architecture's shortfalls.

Red5

Hope it's not going like crypto

Yep another tech bubble, hoping it bursts soon. Right now there's an AI arms race but once the dust settles and all the small fries call quits, GPU prices should go lower.

But difference between Crypto and AI, AI is an international arms race between China and the West and the current chip war is a result of that race and contributing directly to GPU costs.

Top Bottom