• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD to release new enthusiast RDNA3 cards this year

DaGwaphics

I assume they will just price whatever they release nicely in line with Nvidia (giving more weight to the people saying there's some dodgy dealings/price fixing going on), so that price-to-performance (MSRP that is) doesn't really change.

Weird thing is that even that strategy might work against the $400 4060ti 8GB. A configuration with more memory and higher bandwidth is going to be a better fit for people looking for a budget friendly 1440p option. Even if they basically just hold the line on 6700xt performance but get the RT benefits brought forward by the 7600 (the 7600 distances itself a bit from the 6650xt in RT and UE5, etc.), that might still be enough.

Nvidia's price to performance is just so bad at the bottom of the stack.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The prices seem so suspect I gave up hope for AMD GPUs TBH.

But what I dont understand is why they are killing it with CPUs and why they arent more aggressive with GPUs?
I listened to a really interesting interview with Jim Keller (on Jordan Peterson’s podcast of all places… he’s Jordan’s brother-in-law). He talked about how when he joined AMD they had 2 CPU lines (mobile and desktop) and that neither could compete with Intel. He decided that it’s not worth spending more R&D on either of those if they have no hope of matching Intel, so he made the controversial decision to kill BOTH their CPU lines and essentially bet their entire CPU business on Zen.

He then mentioned that AMD’s GPUs were in a similar spot vs Nvidia, but he left for Tesla before doing any significant work on the GPU side. Really makes you wonder how things would be different if he shook up their GPU business in the same way.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lack of competition isn't good. Nvidia can price gouge that fraction of the user base, as much as they please.

I get it but not when the $400-$500 range is wide open for the taking.

I think this is just going to be the 7700XT and 7800XT, anyways. 7900XTX they consider “ultra” enthusiast.

kiphalfton

Sounds like it will be multiple cards based on the wording.

Will be interesting to see how close they manage to get to the 4090.

It's been about 10 years since the RTX 4090 came out, and in typical AMD fashion, they will still fall short.

Last edited:

twilo99

Nice! The 6800xt is one of the cards I'm considering if the price is right. Can't beat that 16gb vram.

I’ve had it for a while and it’s a great, that is if you don’t care about RT like myself and you care about resolution and frames. It does very well at 1440p.

I still don’t know if the 6950 has the better price/performance ratio..

GreatnessRD

Sounds like it will be multiple cards based on the wording.

Will be interesting to see how close they manage to get to the 4090.
Nothing from RDNA3 is getting close to the 4090. That ship has far sailed along. These next models will be (Hopefully) the 7800 and 7700 non XT models. That should put a bow on RDNA3 and they completely focus on RDNA4 and whatever went wrong at the hardware level of RDNA3. Also means that AMD has finally come towards the end stock of RDNA2 since a lot of the RDNA3 GPUs would've cannibalized the RDNA2 hardware already on the market.

//DEVIL//

LoL @ releasing more powerful GPUs.

7900XTX problem wasn't its power compared to the 4090 or 4080. it's for their pricing and no proper DLSS2 competitor let alone DLSS3.

AMD pricing is the problem. 7900xtx should be 800$ max if they were to sell cards. ( the 4080 about 900 to 1000$ max )

theclaw135

Banned
I get it but not when the $400-$500 range is wide open for the taking.

I think this is just going to be the 7700XT and 7800XT, anyways. 7900XTX they consider “ultra” enthusiast.

I'd rather have amd spare no expense, re-enter the market for bleeding edge cards to shake nvidia out of their complacency.

RagnarokIV

HfF44i2Q3yzAbd56JSU8sP-970-80.jpg

Hopefully does better than this.

Top Bottom