• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm really looking forward to the rescale. I'm also pretty much staying away from the game until it happens. Good to hear that they are not unreasonably far away. Maybe we even get to play the open beta this month.

Yep, I'm playing other games while we wait, but I'm eagerly looking to get back into ATS after the update. It looks incredible from what they've been showing.

I'm really looking forward to the rescale. I'm also pretty much staying away from the game until it happens. Good to hear that they are not unreasonably far away. Maybe we even get to play the open beta this month.

Opposite because I want to get the 100% completion achievement before the map expands :lol

I think he means "Visit all cities". Will definetly take longer with the rescale :p

I'm looking forward to it. Rescale will give the game a much better feel of the vast plains in Arizona etc..

Oh whoops looks like they didn't add that map exploration achievement like in ETS2.

That's relief, because getting 100% is brutal. You need to cover every inch of the map, even small dead end roads and intersections. Even though I have around 1000 combined hours in ATS/ETS2 I never bothered going for it. I do take unexplored roads, but swinging by every small nook and cranny to change it to explored became tedious very fast.

Edit: Also, ATS version 1.4 and ETS2 version 1.25 is out of beta and officially released today:
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/09/the-day-of-updates.html

Mengy

Ugh, Facebook. No freebie for me.

Heh, it requires a Twitter account too and I don't have one. So I signed up for one only to find out that you NEED to attach your cell phone number to the account in order to use it! I don't want to USE Twitter, I just want the free DLC!

Bah, I'll be okay without fancy steering wheels I guess. I'll just buy it when it goes on sale someday.

I do have twitter and facebook but didn't bother and just bought it to support SCS. I've spent so many hours in ETS2 and ATS and their DLC practices are pretty fair, so I feel like they've earned it.

That being said, I think they plan on using the extra followers generated by this offer to try to sway more companies to get licenses for stuff to put in the game. Licensing seem to be one of the biggest hurdles they have in terms of new stuff, so I hope it works out for them.

Anton668

Halloween Giveaway

ats-halloween.png

Customize your truck with a choice of dark and scary paint jobs and toys!

Halloween is a great time to be different and make your truck stand out against the usual serious business look of vehicles found on the roads today.
These spine-chilling paint schemes and spooky cabin accessories are in fact perfectly good for use all year round - if you are into it!

You can get and activate your key now ahead of the release of the DLC on Steam which will happen later this week.

You need three hours in-game to claim the paint pack, which should be my cue to finally plug in my steering wheel and dive into the game. I've been distracted by other things since picking it up in the summer sale.

Jedi2016

Doesn't seem to work. I have 30+ hours, and it keeps telling me I need to play 3 hours before it'll give me the paint kit.

And that's a really roundabout way of giving out keys, signing into websites all over the damn place... surely there's a way to just do it in-game?

Doesn't seem to work. I have 30+ hours, and it keeps telling me I need to play 3 hours before it'll give me the paint kit.

And that's a really roundabout way of giving out keys, signing into websites all over the damn place... surely there's a way to just do it in-game?

The giveaway is done this way to expose their social media stuff. They've done similar in the past with cross promotions of other brands as well. I think it's a smart way of doing it since it is completely opt-in and people who don't want to do the whole social media thing can just pick it up for $2 or something afterwards.

The hours played requirement is most likely to make sure people who actually play the game get the codes (and that they are not farmed by bots).

Anton668

World of Trucks - New Achievements To Hunt

We would like to do more to recognize the dedication of hardcore players who spend a lot of their time with our games. Behind the scenes, our World of Trucks back-end has already been able to gather quite some statistics and information about the job deliveries taking place on the system, and this gives us a great base and toolset to use for something new.

We are happy and proud that the number of drivers connected to our WoTr project is steadily growing. We know that truckers like to show off their accomplishments, their statistics, the distance driven and the volume and weight of jobs they have delivered with their mighty, devoted, diesel beasts. And how better to show what kind of a trucker you are than by hunting achievements?

So today we're adding some brand new achievements for all of you who've taken the time to connect their in-game profiles with our World of Trucks site

its achievements on the website not in game

Finally fired up ATS, and realized there was a VR beta, so why not give that a shot?

The first minute or two was great. Finally, I can just look around, no messing with the mouse of the steering wheel D-pad to look around! Ten minutes later, I was sweating lightly and vaguely nauseous. Every time I'd straighten the wheel out, the truck would snap quickly to moving in a straight line, and it seems like that might be enough to do it for me. Really disappointed, though not in the game of course as it's not really the game's fault. Might just be that I haven't spent enough time getting used to the headset, so maybe I need to try again later and see if I last longer.

Anyways, the rest of the time I spent in non-VR land was great, as expected.

Peterbilt 389 is finally released as free DLC on Steam
Peterbilt 389 is a successor to Peterbilt 379, built until 2007. Peterbilt 379 in turn replaced the iconic 359 in 1987. Peterbilt 359 one was first wide nosed big rigs for Peterbilt, produced since 1967, and achieved extreme popularity. This tradition is still very much alive - while new trucks in the 3x9 line introduced major technical improvements under the hood and greatly enhanced performance, truckers' aesthetics preferences have not changed so much. The outer appearance is still mostly the same after almost five decades on the road! An interesting little fact about the new 389 is that it has the longest nose of all Peterbilt trucks ever. It is 131 inches (332,74 cm) long! One hell of a nose if you ask me! But surely an experienced truck driver will not have any problems maneuvering the vehicle through the challenges waiting for you in American Truck Simulator!

It seems like it has a good deal more customization than any of the other trucks in ATS (though not near the level of Scania in ETS2 or any of the mods).

What is more interesting though, is this part of their blog update:
But let's start with a little teaser. Project Rescale of the American Truck Simulator world is looking great, and it won't take long before you can see it for yourselves. I suggest you get comfortable with what we have for you today so you are ready for the updated map. Because believe me, with the bigger map you will need a comfortable ride to get across it without developing serious back pain. ;)

Mengy

Peterbilt 389 is finally released as free DLC on Steam

It seems like it has a good deal more customization than any of the other trucks in ATS (though not near the level of Scania in ETS2 or any of the mods).

What is more interesting though, is this part of their blog update:

Finally, a new truck! Though I'm surprised the Volvo wasn't next, as we have been seeing it driving around in teasers for some time now.

Looks like I'm hooking my G27 up tonight!

Moltenix

Sweet, a new truck to drive!

Glad to hear the rescaling is coming along well too. We'll probably see it in the coming weeks?

There isn't a blog post yet, but the newest beta branch on Steam contains the new and updated 1:20 scale map now. Finally time for me to get back into driving in the US. In practice this is almost 2x the amount of roads, as well as new and improved on/off ramps and intersections.

Moltenix

There isn't a blog post yet, but the newest beta branch on Steam contains the new and updated 1:20 scale map now. Finally time for me to get back into driving in the US. In practice this is almost 2x the amount of roads, as well as new and improved on/off ramps and intersections.

Oh snap, I know what i'm doing tonight.

So how's Tonopah and the I-10 on-ramps near Barstow?

EDIT: Well the I-10 has an on-ramp, and the west end of I-10 has been improved too. Haven't been to Tonopah yet, but it doesn't have a ramp. Oh, by the way, this completely resets any exploration you have.

Makikou

So how's Tonopah and the I-10 on-ramps near Barstow?

EDIT: Well the I-10 has an on-ramp, and the west end of I-10 has been improved too. Haven't been to Tonopah yet, but it doesn't have a ramp. Oh, by the way, this completely resets any exploration you have.

Good tbh, easier to find out where you haven't been since the Rescale makes every place different!

Official blog post from yesterday:
http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/11/ats-world-rescale-open-beta.html

It's been pretty great driving around after the rescale. Finally the game feels like it has the same scope as Euro Truck, and I can see myself spending a lot more time with it going forward.

The only thing I am missing now is for the beta to be over and the VR branch to be updated, because looking around manually in that huge beast 389 is getting pretty tedious. I might have to get myself a cabover mod in the meantime.

Mengy

It's been pretty great driving around after the rescale. Finally the game feels like it has the same scope as Euro Truck, and I can see myself spending a lot more time with it going forward.

The only thing I am missing now is for the beta to be over and the VR branch to be updated, because looking around manually in that huge beast 389 is getting pretty tedious. I might have to get myself a cabover mod in the meantime.

Everything I’m reading and seeing about it seems absolutely fantastic, but I’m waiting to try it until it officially releases. Hopefully that is very soon, sounds like it’s pretty much ready to go live.

There are a lot of small cosmetic bugs with misplaced signs, speed limits and gps quirks. I am not sure how long stuff like that takes to fix though, but I would be surprised if it released in less than two weeks.

Moltenix

Been playing the beta the last two nights and very impressed with the new road layouts. It's great to see alot of cool interchange designs in California instead of just the old diamonds and cloverleafs. After driving it a billion times since launch, the I5 has never felt so fresh. It actually branches off or merges with another highway at a few points.

Only issues are speed limits being a bit wonky in some places and the GPS sometimes suggest taking an off-on ramp or going through a rest area instead of staying on the highway. Where/how can I report these kind things?

MouldyK

Cross Posting from the Euro Truck Simulator 2 OT as people might want to see it here too...

The Roads of Vive La France!

Next week, we will make an anouncement regarding Vive la France! DLC which we believe will make Euro Truck Simulator 2 fans very happy. Until then, we have a picture to tease you with! :) It may actually answer some of the questions that we get bombarded with...

ViveLaFrance.jpg

Also, Amazon UK Listing which SCS has commented on Twitter about after someone told Amazon it's fake and SCS stated:

SCS Software‏ @SCSsoftware
@Puncake00 @AmazonHelp No need to. Also @Excalpublishing is the publisher.

So 9th December at £19.99 seems likely.

- Extensive map of France to explore
- Almost 20.000 km of new roads and highways
- Famous landmarks places and zones
- New 20 unique cities
- Rural French villages and sceneries
- Enhanced new vegetation models
- Artificial forest ecosystems
- Local companies to work for
- French tollgate system
- Brand new industries
- New cargoes

U2NUMB

As a reminder the Viva La France DLC is out for ETS2. $18.99 in the US...

http://scssoft.com/press/sheet.php?p=euro_truck_simulator_2_vive_la_france

Extensive map of France to explore
20,000 km of new roads and highways
Famous landmarks, recognizable places
15 new cities
Rural French villages and sceneries
Enhanced vegetation, new forest ecosystems
New local companies to work for
French tollgate system
New industries including 5 nuclear plant zones
New cargoes to haul

Top Bottom