• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Truck Simulator |OT| Freedom gives me a Semi with a Heavy Load

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I've been getting crashes while playing ATS lately, like computer hard resets or hard locks requiring power down. Just started a week ago or so. Upon digging in the Win10 event viewer it appeared to be a critical error 41 kernel-power fault, which sounded just dreadful. After digging a bit more though and with some experimenting, I confirmed that it was my Track IR causing the crashes. And then I realized that I had not updated my Track IR software for over four years, LOL! In fact I'm pretty sure it was still the version I had installed back with Win7 before I upgraded to Win10, so yeah, ooops!

I've updated to Track IR 5.4.2 and all seems fixed now.

I should probably go through everything I have installed and do some PC cleaning honestly...

Has anybody else had an issue where their Xbox One controller config gets messed up, the steering sensitivity is way too high and actions can't be set to buttons? Starting a new profile fixes the issue but it soon reappears.

I had that issue once with my 360 controller. I had to reset my configuration. For steering sensitivity, make sure the controller is set to Controller and not Steering Wheel IIRC.

I had that issue once with my 360 controller. I had to reset my configuration. For steering sensitivity, make sure the controller is set to Controller and not Steering Wheel IIRC.

Resetting the configuration to default didn't help, it was literally telling me that my start and select buttons on the controller were missing.

Mengy

Counterpoint: I think it's tragically juvenile.

Legit bummed me out when the OP went with it.

Fair point. I'm not saying you are wrong, but the opportunity was simply too great and unique that I felt it had to be used, lol!

I still have not seen all that the new resized map has to offer yet, but man is the game so much better now that it uses the same world scale as ETS2. It was without a doubt the right choice for SCS to do it.

U2NUMB

Man, I really should fire up this game again. Too relaxing.

I am desperate for the new state... they need to push them out faster than it seems they are with so many to get to. Spending time in Europe while I wait but something about the US that feels like truckin to me.

The online mod is great though and keeps it fresh when I do need my fix.

red731

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico

250px-Flag_of_New_Mexico.svg.png

How the hell should I jump into ATS when still playing ETS2 and haven't trailed everything yet!?

I don't even own France DLC FFS?

Serious question - do you guys change between game due to scenery or have you forgotten about one game in favor of other?

SCS teasing the next state to be added into ATS:
https://youtu.be/O4NBx-O8I7A

Wait? They are teasing content that they have explicitly announced ages ago?

Serious question - do you guys change between game due to scenery or have you forgotten about one game in favor of other?

I mostly play ETS2 because the map mods are better. From time to time I play ATS for a change in scenery (and usually in VR because fewer mods means better frame rates).

red731

I mostly play ETS2 because the map mods are better. From time to time I play ATS for a change in scenery (and usually in VR because fewer mods means better frame rates).

Thank you Zepp.

If I would have both games I would do it to change scenery too.
I am using the vanilla ETS2 maps and DLC maps exluding the France.

Need to look into those too.

Mengy

I love ETS2 but I have to be honest, recently I’ve only been playing ATS. Sure it has a smaller map, and less trucks, and less truck customization, but I simply prefer the America location for truck driving, the scenery. Big open roads with big skies, coastal cities that I’ve actually been to, highways I’ve really driven on, huge interchanges, yeah I just prefer ATS to ETS2. Both are great games, fantastic game, but maybe it’s because I’ve played so damn much of ETS2 over the years that the newer ATS is just fresh to me, lol.

I still play both though, and I still buy the DLC for both!

U2NUMB

I do not understand this tease... we know about the state, they announced it months ago. So we get a trailer.... and still no date? Man they really shit the bed with this new dlc as far as how they are handling it. So many of us are dying for some real info and they release this??

http://blog.scssoft.com/2017/04/big-in-america.html
After revealing our plans for Heavy Cargo for Euro Truck Simulator 2, we have noticed some American Truck Simulator players worrying if we are not forgetting about them.

Fear not, because we have something equally cool in the making for you!

The US regulations are different from European, calling for different axle configurations for the special transport trailers. It takes a ton of skill to master driving these monstrosities, just look at the screenshots bellow...

Good luck backing these beauties into the train station advanced delivery point.

SJRB

Gold Member
Nightmare fuel, considering how narrow some delivery points are and how obtuse traffic can be at some crossings.

Here is an interesting post from a dev on the official SCS forums regarding future developments of both ATS and ETS2:

Grisp said:
As you may have known Wujek Bohun is such a popular Polish youtuber recording videos mostly about simulators. Recently he invited me and Rootkiller - as Polish natives to join him in one of his videos. It was a great opportunity for us to discuss in public some interesting topics, including game design related ones. We hope it is something really interesting especially for those ones of you who are playing the game for such a long time and following us for many years.

Here you can find the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdwrVbBH8bs (unfortunately i haven't succeed to embeed the video). As the interview was in Polish languege, according to your wishes, here is a summary of the interview with Wujek Bohun.

Overweight DLC:
  • At the begginning 8 cargoes for ETS2 and 8 for ATS
  • The DLC will be release at the beginning for ETS2, then up to 1 month later for ATS
  • Both add-ons will be sold separately for each game
  • Doing that add-on was not only creating new models and defining the weight of the cargo. It was also including changes in physics, adding steerable axles for trailers, adjusting trucks engines and gearboxes. As an interesting thing - creating DLC required us to adjust a few prefabs as well.
  • In ETS2's case, we are going to add new variants of chassis for a few trucks - 8x4. We promised to deliver trucks as free updates, so that we are currently looking for a solution in order not to pack the new truck's variants into the DLC, and to avoid the unreal situation when the driver not owning the DLC will be using the 8x4 truck for delivering a very small and light trailer.
  • Trailers in ATS will be constructed in a different way as in Europe (specifics of America's reality). ATS ones will be using multi pivots.
  • So far Overweight cargos will not be represented in AI Traffic due to tech reasons.

Maps:
  • We are working on the next state for ATS (we have shown the teaser last week)
  • We are also continuing works on the next, big, map add-on for ETS2.
  • After rescaling ATS map (from 1:35 to 1:20), it has exactly the same scale as ETS2's one. As we have 3 states, their area is similar to the base ETS2's one, and counts around 1 000 000 square kilometers. If the scale will not be changed, new states will be delivered quicker.
  • We know that you want us to refresh the oldest part of Europe. However, we are still not big enough to be able to create a dedicated team for the reconstruction purposes without real slowing down of current projects.

How we choose and design features:
  • While creating a new feature we are doing our bests to tweak the features, find the way how to locate them the best in the in-game reality and provide the enhanced testing in order to provide the feature which makes sense and isn't bugged.
  • The production pipeline, the choice and the shape of features which will be delivered are always the result of wide analysis and multiple compromises including:
    -Player's requests
    -Point of view and vision of certain employees
    -For/ Against analysis
    -Usability for players vs development costs
    -Being close to reality and attractive for hardcore players vs being playable nad enjoyable also for rookies

Trailer ownership:
  • Wujek Bohun as a huge proponent of that feature was trying to "push" our guys, even asking when we are going to deliver that feature.
  • Guys provided ad-hoc analysis of that feature, nailing the popular myth saying that developing trailer ownership is just to copy and paste a few lines of source code of our past games.
    -They shown what changes and modifications of already existing features and game areas should be done in order to have that feature
    -They discussed multiple game design aspects, which should be considered in order have that feature attractive for hardcore players and playable even for rookies, which e.g. can be disappointed by the need of hauling even 40% of time without any cargo.
  • And no, it wasn't the talk why we will not do that feature. It was an example showing game design aspects, and showing that the feature is much more complex, and it will require much more development and design processes than most of players thought.

Direct X and Vulcan:
  • Studio is constantly working on Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator technology improvements. One of the elements that studio plan to work on is to change graphics libraries from old DX9 and OpenGL to more modern DX11 and Vulkan - this change will likely unlock new methods of the optimizations for the studio. The implementation of new libraries itself will not bring huge performance boost however thanks to it studio will be able to modify engine overtime so it will use full potential of those libraries.

New trucks in game:
  • Negotiations are such a long and difficult process which admires discretion. Our partners will not be super happy if we will be sharing the details of the negotiation processes. So that it is the safest for us not to share any info until we will have all the signatures underwritten under the agreement.
  • We have a few trucks 99% done for both Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator however the approval process may get quite complicated and protracted. Without that we cannot release them.
  • Yes, we are doing new Scania truck.

Others:
  • We are changing office later this year, because we are rapidly running out of the current ones' capacity.
  • If everything goes well, we hope to positively surprise you a few more times this year! :twisted:

I also would like to recommend to read SCS's AMA on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/trucksim/comments/63k684/scs_ama/

Doubles are coming in the next free update for both games. SCS have really ramped up their work lately.

Today we have an announcement that should make many of our fans happy. After quite some years of internal discussions and frankly some frustrations and struggles to have the gameplay as well as technical side of multi-trailer physics support ironed out, we finally feel ready to reveal fresh info about our progress on doubles.

It has taken us a long time, but hope never dies! We are polishing double trailers for inclusion in the next major updates for Euro Truck Simulator 2 as well as for American Truck Simulator. We have a few pictures for you to prove that we are serious...
eut2_hq_5909bf19.jpg

eut2_hq_5909c2f7.jpg

ats_hq_5909cf4e.jpg

ats_hq_5909d47e.jpg

Anton668

New Mexico: Places to Rest and Refuel

We are always thinking of opportunities to make our tech more flexible, to help us bring the "touch of real trucking spirit" into our virtual worlds. Besides driving, the places to stop and rest are an integral part of a driver's life. We have decided that they deserve our focus now as we work on New Mexico DLC for American Truck Simulator.
An even greater amount of care is given to big truck stops. They are truly vast unique locations that are recognizable as real world landmarks. We have separated petrol stations for passenger cars and trucks.

Sky_City_I-40.jpg

Perto_Travel_I-25.jpg

well its about time! :)

U2NUMB

Those rest stops look good. But I have to admit sitting here near the end of May... they need to produce the DLC soon.. I am going to be 80 years old by the time I get to drive my home state at this rate.

This might sound like a silly question but how does this game play compared to Sega's 18-Wheeler: American Pro Trucker?

Now I know this is Sim vs Sega's arcade, but I really enjoyed the driving in that game an always wanted an expanded world without a timer. Does this game get close to that?

AtlAntA

Those rest stops look good. But I have to admit sitting here near the end of May... they need to produce the DLC soon.. I am going to be 80 years old by the time I get to drive my home state at this rate.

Yeah it's gonna take them 45 years to do every state in this pace.

Mengy

This might sound like a silly question but how does this game play compared to Sega's 18-Wheeler: American Pro Trucker?

Now I know this is Sim vs Sega's arcade, but I really enjoyed the driving in that game an always wanted an expanded world without a timer. Does this game get close to that?

Yeah, in some ways it's like 18-Wheeler in a huge open world map, but more sim-like and less arcade, although it's not punishing sim-like, think fun sim-like. If you enjoyed the driving aspect of 18-Wheeler then yeah you'll get a kick out of the driving aspect of ETS2 and ATS.

Those new rest stops look fantastic!

Yeah it's gonna take them 45 years to do every state in this pace.

I do worry about this a bit, but they have said that content production is speeding up as their new teams gain experience. And financially they should be doing well enough to keep a decently sized team going forward. Just last weekend after the Heavy Haul DLC dropped they beat their old concurrent players record for ETS2 on Steam by 11k or so.

Next patch will introduce multiple articulation points, so if scs aren't releasing road trains modders will finally have the tools to go crazy with it

I should try VR again in ATS now that I have a 1080. Maybe it won't make me feel as queasy anymore? Hopefully?

(oh god it's still going to make me feel queasy isn't it)

lmimmfn

I should try VR again in ATS now that I have a 1080. Maybe it won't make me feel as queasy anymore? Hopefully?

(oh god it's still going to make me feel queasy isn't it)
The problem is the engine, its very CPU bound, so doesn't matter if you have a 1080Ti. Having said that I never feel queasy in ATS in VR, but I can see when ATW kicks in, its still a wonderful experience in VR though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Never seen trains like that. Could they just not get enough trucks? Can you imagine having to load and unload that?

Driving up and down the 5 in central California you see actual trains even longer than that all the time. I once got stuck at a backwater railroad crossing waiting for one of them to pass by, and it took almost 15 minutes. So I assume there's a system for loading and unloading something like that. But I've never seen an actual truck that long. Must be for that "longest stretch of straight road in the world" place in Australia?

Driving up and down the 5 in central California you see actual trains even longer than that all the time. I once got stuck at a backwater railroad crossing waiting for one of them to pass by, and it took almost 15 minutes. So I assume there's a system for loading and unloading something like that. But I've never seen an actual truck that long. Must be for that "longest stretch of straight road in the world" place in Australia?
The%20longest%20straight%20road_cropped.jpg

Well the road just got 1km longer

4017618537_e366c1bd22_z.jpg

Bourke is in NSW, the Nullarbor is heading to the other side of the country.

The problem is the engine, its very CPU bound, so doesn't matter if you have a 1080Ti. Having said that I never feel queasy in ATS in VR, but I can see when ATW kicks in, its still a wonderful experience in VR though.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Guess I'll have to wait until my next upgrade, then. I was so excited to play a truck simulator in VR (finally I can just look over my shoulder instead of using my wheel's d-pad to look left/right!) only to find that after 10-15 minutes I felt awful. I guess an i5-3570k isn't enough. Or maybe I'm just not good with VR physiologically.

AtlAntA

Ah, that's unfortunate. Guess I'll have to wait until my next upgrade, then. I was so excited to play a truck simulator in VR (finally I can just look over my shoulder instead of using my wheel's d-pad to look left/right!) only to find that after 10-15 minutes I felt awful. I guess an i5-3570k isn't enough. Or maybe I'm just not good with VR physiologically.

You might better off waiting for the engine upgrade both ATS and ets2 are getting *soon*

I have a 1080ti and a 6700k and some parts of ETS2 (granted i have promods and rusmap installed) won't even hit 60fps all maxed out. Gpu utilization is sitting at 60 percent and cpu utilization most of the times is even lower.

These games scale really well down to lower end machines performance wise but scaling up to higher end machines isn't working that well. The upgrade to dx11 might fix that.

CaLe

You might better off waiting for the engine upgrade both ATS and ets2 are getting *soon*

I have a 1080ti and a 6700k and some parts of ETS2 (granted i have promods and rusmap installed) won't even hit 60fps all maxed out. Gpu utilization is sitting at 60 percent and cpu utilization most of the times is even lower.

These games scale really well down to lower end machines performance wise but scaling up to higher end machines isn't working that well. The upgrade to dx11 might fix that.

How soon are we talking about here ? What's getting revamped besides the move to dx11 ?

AtlAntA

How soon are we talking about here ? What's getting revamped besides the move to dx11 ?

I really wish i could tell you that but iirc i read in an interview it might be happening this year.

Don't expect miracles though. This is one of the best optimized dx9 games there is. The engine upgrade will be better performance wise but it takes a whole lot of optimizing to get the best out of it like they did with dx9.

ATS Heavy Cargo Pack is released
Steam link

I'm really looking forward to try these out. Where the recent ETS2 heavy cargo pack had trailers that were easier to drive around tight corners, these ones seem to require as much space as the wider American roads can provide.

Also, now that multiple articulation points are supported in the engine, I am looking forward to what monstrous road trains modders are going to come up with.

Here's a random question, because I've been out of touch with this and ETS for a while, but does anyone have their game setup in single or dual monitor mode in a way that doesn't look like garbage?

I have two monitors but I usually only game on one, and whenever I've gone to play ATS I've had to change around some config settings for nVidia surround just to get dual monitors going so I try to stay on one when possible, and it's been my experience that on one monitor, it's just a huge pain to try and see when you're trying to drive or take a turn. I can see with the side mirrors to make sure I'm staying in my lane, but when it comes time to take a turn, I have to use my right stick to check left/right to make sure cars aren't coming before I start my turn, and then it takes some time to readjust myself to my "primary" view.

I'm guessing people start screwing with their FOVs to get a better view of the area around them, but I'm wondering what peoples' setup looks like, because it's *really* awkward to use right now.

Top Bottom