• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And today in Games journalism 101. Kotaku heard something that does not exist (keeps up the article)

mortal

Gold Member
It is pretty impressive how even when you think expectations are incredibly low, Kotaku still finds a way to go under.

Kotaku is like water. Runs to its lowest possible point.

tenor.gif
HOW LOW CAN YA GO?

dolabla

Laura played victim and then ragequit twitter, btw

This person is very dumb and, based on what else I’ve seen of ‘her’, probably mentally ill.

People like this should not ever be given jobs involving or related to journalism.

It all makes sense now. Hilarious. Kotaku is an even worse disaster than I originally thought. And that's saying something. Did not know that clown Laura Kate Dale was there.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

I don't click on Kotaku articles...but for some reason I did this time, and I must say I was pleased to see the article comments dragging the writer over the coals as they justly deserve. Kotaku seems like something so stupid, so backwards, worthless, and full of hyperbole and lies that it shouldn't be online; rather it should be in print, wasting paper, just so it can sit with the National Enquirer and Star magazine next to the candy bars and gum at the Wal-Mart checkout lane. That would be peak bullshit, with the reward being nobody buying it unless they want to line the bottom of a pet crate or a chicken coup.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Actual footage of the article being written:
LimpBewitchedHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Favourite element: the article was published before a response to the apparent request for comment was received. The writer, the staff, and the editor, did not even wait a length of time to determine that their contact did not respond to request prior to publishing. This means, in no uncertain terms, the crux of the article is Kotaku making an accusation - one in which the headline stipulates in absolute terms is in the game - based exclusively on Kotaku's own transcript of a Japanese singer's pronunciation of English words, and they didn't even bother to let the other party not respond to their accusation to put it in the article.
This is a straight up hit piece - bottom-tier, F-grade, 10 subscriber YouTube click bait garbage. Shame on the writer, their editor, and the publication as a whole.

User has been removed from thread. Post is just designed to deflect from topic and incite other users.
Dont you dare make bad news about nintendo. or their fans will throw their toddlers at you if its all they got at hands. by far the most aggressive and defensive fanbase I ever seen

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
What a pathetic excuse of game journalism.

Carrying out Reera vendetta against Personna creator so bad that it backfires.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes, I'm sure Sakurai and Nintendo would have allowed the word "retarded" into one of their biggest titles. That fits their MO perfectly.

Remember U R MR GAY?

https://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/u-r-mr-gay-message-discovered-in-super-mario-galaxy-box-art/

A NeoGaf poster discovered, in the cover art of Super Mario Galaxy, the most humorous coincidence of the year (or perhaps the devious work of a cover artist). In the box art for Super Mario Galaxy, stars highlighting certain letters in the title spell out: U R MR GAY.

Last edited:

Dunki

Dont you dare make bad news about nintendo. or their fans will throw their toddlers at you if its all they got at hands. by far the most aggressive and defensive fanbase I ever seen
Yeah let us jsut ignore the blatant lie the bad response and the piss poor job they are doing

PS: I am not a Nintendo fan but i like the truth and honesty.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Journalist Gamers are like a Donkey.
They do not know what they say, less about videogames because they are worst, and when they do, they only remain in ridicule before the public.

Last edited:

Hellblueboy

Yellow journalism at it's finest.
Stir shit up, created a controversy, and waiting for click to come in.

And the funny thing is, there're some people who defend this article.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Just to be absolutely clear on this, the headline on the article is:
"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's Persona 5 DLC Includes a Disability Slur"

If you look at Kotaku UK's front page they have changed "includes" to "appears to include" but if you click the article they are still definitively saying that the Smash Bros DLC includes a slur.

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/04/18...ates-persona-5-dlc-includes-a-disability-slur

"Needless to say, this does not exactly fit Nintendo's family friendly image, nor seem an especially appropriate inclusion in a game with a 12 rating (or indeed any game). "

OK but surely it was included in the original Persona 5 game also? So why is it only Smash that is singled out here?

Isn't LKD part of the crowd that's always whining about fake news and the "far right" leading people astray with lies?
Yet, here we fucking are. "Smash includes a disability slur you guys! We all heard it! Now go get 'em!"

What a slimey, dishonest, little rat bastard.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
They do this stuff on purpose to get these reactions and clicks. Ignore the tards

It's true but I think it could be a net gain for everyone if they are widely and publicly called out for this kind of bullshite.

We're at the stage where misheard lyrics is a valid reason for firing up the internet to go hassling Nintendo and Deep Silver over content that people think might possibly be in a game.

Instead Laura Kate Dale gets to run and hide behind their "protected class" status and probably in the end it will be said that "trolls" were the real bad guys here.

It's hilarious though that LKD went from "Smash Ultimate Loves Trans Rights" to an extremely uncharitable "Smash Ultimate Includes A Disability Slur" within the space of a couple of hours.

BlackTron

While we're at it, I believe that the name "Super Smash Bros" invokes a disturbing undertone of college frat boys "smashing" college girls. This will ultimately encourage the rape culture in the minds of youth who engage in Nintendo's first party title.

Yes, the way all art and media is perceived is subjective. When I see "Smash Bros." on the box, I feel like a powerless victim. I feel like the message is that "this game is not for rape victims like you". I feel excluded. It's also unacceptable that toxic masculinity is forced on me with the term "Brothers". And what if I'm not THAT good at the game? "Super" just reminds me that this title is for "experienced" gamers who will just tell me to "git gud" all day.

Clearly, if Nintendo does not correct this to something like "Mediocre Fighting Sisters", this series deserves to fail.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Yes, the way all art and media is perceived is subjective. When I see "Smash Bros." on the box, I feel like a powerless victim. I feel like the message is that "this game is not for rape victims like you". I feel excluded. It's also unacceptable that toxic masculinity is forced on me with the term "Brothers". And what if I'm not THAT good at the game? "Super" just reminds me that this title is for "experienced" gamers who will just tell me to "git gud" all day.

Clearly, if Nintendo does not correct this to something like "Mediocre Fighting Sisters", this series deserves to fail.
“Differently Abled Individuals Expressing Their Truths”

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the people. Normal people would say no. Games journalist would compare you to Hitler.

I just want to point out that I'm a game journalist, and I have no problem with the word "retarded". I do, however, have a problem with people who try to police language.

I'm also a bit done with people who are naive enough to think "game journalists" are some homogenous group with anything in common but a love for video games. Just because Kotaku, Polygon and RPS look for outrage and offense under every pebble, doesn’t mean the rest of us share that burning desire for a crusade. Most of us just wanna play games, write what we think about them, and get paid while e doing it.

Dunki

I just want to point out that I'm a game journalist, and I have no problem with the word "retarded". I do, however, have a problem with people who try to police language.

I'm also a bit done with people who are naive enough to think "game journalists" are some homogenous group with anything in common but a love for video games. Just because Kotaku, Polygon and RPS look for outrage and offense under every pebble, doesn’t mean the rest of us share that burning desire for a crusade. Most of us just wanna play games, write what we think about them, and get paid while e doing it.
I apologize for this generalization. I do not know who you are writing for but normally it goes for the people who work at the big ones. I know there are a lot of actually critics who just want to play games and talk about them. This is always a topic in which I fall into generalization of a group. Again I am sorry.

dolabla

And that's what it should be about. Talking about the story, level design, characters, etc.

Clowns like this Laura Kate Dale and the whole of Kotaku, Polygon, etc are activists who are more interested in looking at being offended by something inside the game than actually talking about what they played in the game.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

well Kotaku now really goes full retard and throws her under the bus.

Is that a short bus, perhaps?

This just got a whole lot more interesting. Warms my heart to see a shitty “journalist” and her shitty boss trashing each other in public.

Gonna go get some popcorn...

Last edited:

zenspider

Wow. You could make a lot of money writing "smoke without fire" clickbait!

PrCat88

Laura Kate Dale 🤮
I've heard about her before. Seems to have a real chip on her shoulder when it comes to Atlas. She was the one branding the developers as transphobic because of Catherine: Full Body.

"Call for discussion" my ass. Hey, friends and family. What can we discuss about misunderstanding a word from a song to sound like something else?

Last edited:
Top Bottom