• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.7%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 38 18.6%

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

I don't know what that image has got to do with Sevens, but I dropped that web novel in Chapter 30, although I liked mob otome from the same author.
well, he was talking about the future of anime so i wanted to throw in a bit of my wishes. I understand why people would drop the novel since it takes time to develop, but how it grows and escalates over time is exactly what i find good about it.

An otome mob anime would be nice too, its probably also more realistic since the best part of the story are the first 3 volumes.

MeteorVII

You didn't really have one. You just wanted to shit on a thing you don't like (which is ok) by saying stuff you consider old was better.
Since it completely flew over your head; the argument was that in general, less adults watch anime now than before — a possible correlation could be the fact that these new animes just aren’t as highly rated anyway.

Cutty Flam

Banned
So many questions and mysteries within One Piece, the more I try to figure out answers, the further I am probably getting to the truth. Very ironic and odd feeling. For example, right now, I am trying to figure out

Who exactly is Imu? What is his/her goal? Why did a butterfly land on Imu’s finger when we know full well that Imu-sama intends to extinguish life—what does it mean? What does the Straw Hat Imu has represent and why is Imu keeping one in his/her castle? Is Shirahoshi captured and dead or will she be utilized as a potential weapon by her captors eventually? Is Blackbeard actually a ‘light’ of the world that the five elders were mentioning before Imu? How can Imu even think to take out one of the Yonko if they barely managed to kill Whitebeard in his old age, not particularly healthy, the Navy couldn’t take him down, only underhanded and unhoberable tactics used by Blackbeard and the bulk of the Ten Titanic Captains. So how does Imu plan to kill a Yonko if they themselves can barely kill each other after the events of an unfathomable war at Marineford? What does the Nefertari family know and why is Vivi such a major point of interest for Imu???? Does she have info on Pluton? Or does Imu need to get rid of her because of the sheer number she can bring into battle? Which must be in the hundred thousands, an unheard of number in OP but we know she at least had 600,000 soldiers before. Levely is a complete mystery at this point in time. We have so little idea of what took place then and there, but something catastrophic is brewing I think. I think the fans know

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Since it completely flew over your head; the argument was that in general, less adults watch anime now than before
You do know what shonen is and how it has been the most mainstream demographic in anime since it's inception right? If anything more adults are watching anime now then before as you have an entire generation that started 10 to 25 years ago and are now 40ish.

MeteorVII

You do know what shonen is and how it has been the most mainstream demographic in anime since it's inception right? If anything more adults are watching anime now then before as you have an entire generation that started 10 to 25 years ago and are now 40ish.
Fair enough, I didn’t word it exactly right.

I meant to say the disparity between younger audiences and older is higher now for Anime and tends to skew towards the younger, as opposed to before.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Happosai Happosai do you remember any adults watching anime in the 90s? I remember mostly kids to teens watched it with a few adults interested in it versus now that is far more mainstream and I personally know scores of weathered people that watch animation.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Bernkastel Bernkastel wtf is happening in higurashi? I was expecting a continuation of the perfect day's ending but we get fucking hammu who disappeared a while ago and random shit wtf

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Happosai Happosai do you remember any adults watching anime in the 90s? I remember mostly kids to teens watched it with a few adults interested in it versus now that is far more mainstream and I personally know scores of weathered people that watch animation.
There was a small sub-group of individuals in the early-mid 90's (mostly those going to conventions for fansubs) that were adults into the hobby. It seemed the younger audience that was watching anime in the 90's, were the ones who were looking for TMS or similar anime which would run on network T.V. or sometimes on Sci-Fi Saturdays. The adults were the crowd that were hitting the video stores in the 90's for anime and they were the minority as titles were limited, mostly dubs at rental stores, and it didn't have such a big appeal to older teens or adults at that time.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There was a small sub-group of individuals in the early-mid 90's (mostly those going to conventions for fansubs) that were adults into the hobby. It seemed the younger audience that was watching anime in the 90's, were the ones who were looking for TMS or similar anime which would run on network T.V. or sometimes on Sci-Fi Saturdays. The adults were the crowd that were hitting the video stores in the 90's for anime and they were the minority as titles were limited, mostly dubs at rental stores, and it didn't have such a big appeal to older teens or adults at that time.
Yeah, it was mostly the same here as well. I have no idea where he got "anime used to be aimed at adults" from. Specially considering the titles he posted outside of one were made for young males. In the US anyway. Yes.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah, it was mostly the same here as well. I have no idea where he got "anime used to be aimed at adults" from. Specially considering the titles he posted outside of one were made for young males. In the US anyway. Yes.
I can't validate the argument that anime used to be for adults. Yeah, in the 80's and 90's there were some really violent or beefy OVAs that came out but during those same decades...there was plenty of adolescent and children's anime as well. That hasn't much changed in terms of demographics for the span of titles of anime being made today. If you were looking at anime-like games...a children's title would be closer to Harvest Moon and Cahterine being on the adult side. Same goes for anime today in general. Art styles and certain methods have changed but everything else is pretty standard. Not sure what that guy was getting at either.

Guilty_AI

I can't validate the argument that anime used to be for adults. Yeah, in the 80's and 90's there were some really violent or beefy OVAs that came out but during those same decades...there was plenty of adolescent and children's anime as well. That hasn't much changed in terms of demographics for the span of titles of anime being made today. If you were looking at anime-like games...a children's title would be closer to Harvest Moon and Cahterine being on the adult side. Same goes for anime today in general. Art styles and certain methods have changed but everything else is pretty standard. Not sure what that guy was getting at either.
There'll always be the ones saying stuff from their time was better. Back in the middle 2000's there was no shortage of people claiming modern anime was shit and the 90s were much better.

I remember people even treated Naruto as something made for retards, a proof that "anime has decayed", kinda like he is doing now to modern counterparts.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
There'll always be the ones saying stuff from their time was better. Back in the middle 2000's there was no shortage of people claiming modern anime was shit and the 90s were much better.

I remember people even treated Naruto as something made for retards, a proof that "anime has decayed", kinda like he is doing now to modern counterparts.
Unfortunately, I was one of those guys until recently. I noticed how much still having an active anime culture is great as I've noticed such a decline in Western animation. Someone had to pick up the torch. In the mid-2000's it was bad due to much of the 90's anime still making it to the U.S./Europe for the first time while new anime was being released. ADV and CPM were localizing and releasing a lot of 90's anime well on into 2003-05 for the first time on DVD and marketing it as new. So, there was a big rift between the two eras as a result. That's sorta died down now and I've noticed more who will watch both modern and older anime hand-in-hand.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Naruto is p bad. But that's just cause it isn't aimed at me. What are genres and demographics again?

Shouta

"Anime used to be for adults" is usually code for anime used to be a lot more bloody and erotic, typically. That could also be because I'm part of the the older generation of anime fans nowadays and when I hear that I think folks pining for those 1-shot OVAs from the 80s, lol. I knew a lot of adults that watched anime back in the day though. I was one of the few kids that did and it wasn't until high school that I met folks that were interested in it which was the late 90s.

There's definitely more adults into anime now than there was ever before and that has a lot to do with access. Saying fewer adults watch anime than before this is straight up clown shoes.

Guilty_AI

Naruto is p bad. But that's just cause it isn't aimed at me. What are genres and demographics again?
I don't like it either, but then again i was never too into these long running shounen anime. Only liked them as a kid watching Dragon Ball and Inuyasha.
Remember trying to watch Bleach and One Piece back in the middle-late 2000s and wondering how people had the patience.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Unfortunately, I was one of those guys until recently. I noticed how much still having an active anime culture is great as I've noticed such a decline in Western animation. Someone had to pick up the torch. In the mid-2000's it was bad due to much of the 90's anime still making it to the U.S./Europe for the first time while new anime was being released. ADV and CPM were localizing and releasing a lot of 90's anime well on into 2003-05 for the first time on DVD and marketing it as new. So, there was a big rift between the two eras as a result. That's sorta died down now and I've noticed more who will watch both modern and older anime hand-in-hand.
In Brazil it used to be a pain, it was hard to find PT-BR subs and we had to rely on official dubs that were often incomplete or censored. Thankfully it started to get better as the 2000s went, though outside of mainstream stuff, most of the translation was still in english.

Funny thing is that I mostly learned to read/write english because of it.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
One of my favorite things about the Water 7 + Enies Lobby arcs (besides everything obviously, perfect saga) is how incredible Luffy and Zoro’s teamwork is
on the Rocketman en route to Enies Lobby. It was truly like having two Captains side by side in the same exact crew leading the way for themselves and others aboard the train; the entire group survived because of Luffy and Zoro on that train - lived to continue on their perilous path to Enies Lobby by sea train. Fucking legendary. That was beautiful how they bypassed the ocean itself during a terrible storm, an all-swallowing tidal wave all thanks to Luffy’s and Zoro’s incredible technique

That entire arc, Water 7, had the most incredible momentum building up towards its end. I was feeling unbelievably strong hype (as I watched) by the time they were all aboard the Rocketman and ready to leave Water 7. Then you add to the fact that Usopp was entering on his own to help as Sogeking despite the falling out. Sanji figuring out what needed to be done and finding his own way there

It cannot be understated, it’s an arc, a saga for the ages

Last edited:

Witchilich

well, he was talking about the future of anime so i wanted to throw in a bit of my wishes. I understand why people would drop the novel since it takes time to develop, but how it grows and escalates over time is exactly what i find good about it.

An otome mob anime would be nice too, its probably also more realistic since the best part of the story are the first 3 volumes.
I spoiled myself with the later chapters and apparently Lyle still loses to his younger sister even with the power of all his seven ancestors combined, Lyle gangs up on his younger sister with his harem combined to finally defeat her and he got raped by his harem at the end. Not the kind of development that is worth reading 200+ chapters. There some really good Light Novel/Web Novel series out there, but this is not one of them.

Guilty_AI

I spoiled myself with the later chapters and apparently Lyle still loses to his younger sister even with the power of all his seven ancestors combined, Lyle gangs up on his younger sister with his harem combined to finally defeat her and he got raped by his harem at the end. Not the kind of development that is worth reading 200+ chapters. There some really good Light Novel/Web Novel series out there, but this is not one of them.
Its not just about how it ends though (i also had spoiled myself with it), I like the how the characters develop and grow over time. Lyle starts out as a unlikeable wimp but by the influence of his ancestors he becomes more and more interesting to watch, having clear growth as a person. It starts out as small issues as adventurers until it all escalates to full blow continental conflicts. At the beginning he just wants to marry Novem until eventually he's just casually seducing new women and growing an harem for the sake of obtaining political power and war potential.

It also helps whole story also feels more grounded. I really dislike how in these sort of web/light novels and mangas everything ends up as individual duels of strenght. But here things like numbers, the proper strategy or experience always play huge roles. Aside from Lyle, the harem is also interesting to watch, not just because the members themselves are interesting but also because of how they relate with each other.

Well, its among my favorite web novels, but i understand i can't exactly force you to like it.

Last edited:

Labolas

Catching up on Jujutsu Kaiden. Can I say how much I hate the Naruto-Sasuke dynamic. I can't think of a duo I hate more and shonen series keep rehashing this wack ass shit.

O-N-E

Catching up on Jujutsu Kaiden. Can I say how much I hate the Naruto-Sasuke dynamic. I can't think of a duo I hate more and shonen series keep rehashing this wack ass shit.

Up to a certain point it was great, but the amount of slack Naruto and especially the biggest simp in all of fiction, Sakura, give Sasuke is insane. Fuck your friendship, I thought Sasuke was so cool as a teen, but you need to kill that fool. He's not your friend anymore you dumbass.

Labolas

Power of friendship means you can't kill your friend haha.
At that point fuck your friend, make that motherfucker drink bleach.

The trope predates Naruto. For example Yusuke-Hiei in Yu Yu Hakusho.

Eh, not really. Hiei interacted with Kurama more than Yusuke. Plus, the series wasn't focused on them as a duo rather Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei and Kurama. Hell, Yusuke is much closer to Kuwabara than he is with Hiei

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I didn't want to post this in Retro because I don't consider 2012 that long ago. My sister sent me a huge box of anime I had left behind in the States in late December. I saw the blu-ray boxset for A Woman Called Fujiko Mine there and didn't even remember buying it. At any rate, I'm probably going to throw it into my Spring playlist. I don't remember watching it and am open for opinions from anyone if it's recommendable. I watched the trailers and it's an interesting blend of CG art work an earlier artstyle of Lupin which had not been used since the first series. Seems like TMS ran this in 2012 and Funimation released it later that same year on blu-ray.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I didn't know there was even a spin off like that.
There are people who are more up-to-date on when newer Lupin releases come out. From what I understand, it's under the Lupin name but I'm not expecting to see much of Lupin himself. Seems to be like a personal bio of Fujiko...that's what interested me and the fact that someone here may have seen it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There are people who are more up-to-date on when newer Lupin releases come out. From what I understand, it's under the Lupin name but I'm not expecting to see much of Lupin himself. Seems to be like a personal bio of Fujiko...that's what interested me and the fact that someone here may have seen it.
Did Lupin ever do anything with Fujiko?

Satoko is officially the low IQ villain.
Isn't she the witch?

Shouta

Earwig and the Witch, I think? I saw a review about it. It looked like their first foray into 3D and apparently the story isn't all that great?

O-N-E

Earwig and the Witch, I think? I saw a review about it. It looked like their first foray into 3D and apparently the story isn't all that great?

Looks like they needed more time / budget for animating and rendering stuff better.

Still, there were some parts in the trailer that looked kinda cool in a weird way.

Shouta

Looks like they needed more time / budget for animating and rendering stuff better.

Still, there were some parts in the trailer that looked kinda cool in a weird way.

That sounds about right. I wouldn't expect anyone to get a 3D movie correct on their first try and especially Ghibli who mastered their particular style.

I thought DoubleToasted put it up on their youtube page but it looks like they just talked about it on Twitch.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does nu ghibli even have a soul after the disney acquisition. I may be the oddball here but I only enjoyed like 1 ghib movie to date.

Witchilich

Its not just about how it ends though (i also had spoiled myself with it), I like the how the characters develop and grow over time. Lyle starts out as a unlikeable wimp but by the influence of his ancestors he becomes more and more interesting to watch, having clear growth as a person. It starts out as small issues as adventurers until it all escalates to full blow continental conflicts. At the beginning he just wants to marry Novem until eventually he's just casually seducing new women and growing an harem for the sake of obtaining political power and war potential.

It also helps whole story also feels more grounded. I really dislike how in these sort of web/light novels and mangas everything ends up as individual duels of strenght. But here things like numbers, the proper strategy or experience always play huge roles. Aside from Lyle, the harem is also interesting to watch, not just because the members themselves are interesting but also because of how they relate with each other.

Well, its among my favorite web novels, but i understand i can't exactly force you to like it.
Good for those who enjoyed it. But when I compare it with my favorites, I need some more momentum then being slightly different from typical fantasy to justify reading 200+ chapters. These are how my favorite LN/WN ended.
Iris on Rainy Days/Amaryllis in the Ice Country - Bad ending, but protagonist is saved by third party in epilogue.
Apotheosis of a Demon – That was one of the most badass ending, wont spoil.
Evil God Average - You don't expect much of an ending from a comedy series.
Gekkou - Satisfying conclusion to a mystery/slice of life.
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria - The whole series is weird including the ending.
I have read 1498 chapters of Release that Witch(not one of my favorites) and I finished it because the concept is unique(even though execution was poor and the ending was abrupt).
Apart from Apotheosis of a Demon/Evil God Average here are some other standard fantasy that I enjoyed but have not yet finished because they ongoing/hiatus/not completely
Dungeon Defense - Volume 3 Chapter 6 and Volume 5 Chapter 3 are some best stuffs I have read.
Cruel King and the Princess of Prophecy
Demon Noble Girl
Adonis
Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta.

I am sorry if this came as a rant but there is the reason I can't invest into Sevens. I usually drop novels when they go with Dense/Naive Protagonists, and a few other stuffs like Revenge(unless its done properly), "Protagonist is healer but OP", "System"(in Chinese Web Novels), Otome Isekai/Villainess(used to like them but now I have reached the point of genre fatigue) etc..

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Was getting a bit lightheaded at the first 25% of the chapter. Entire chapter is 10/10 for me, CP-0 sitting back and analyzing the situation, the war, speculating? The board analogy was intense. Imagine if something goes wrong and the Worst Generation can not entirely take Kaido's executive entirely out of the equation by the end of all their battles...Even just one counting themselves in alongside Kaido and Big Mom during the main fight on the rooftop of Onigashima, that is devestating. Imagine if somehow King of all the executives among the Beast Pirates were to make his way to Kaido and join in on the main battle

The crazy part about that chapter, Luffy went all out in Gear 4th w/ Kong Gatling Gun, stunned everyone there watching including Big Mom, and the fun is just beginning for the two Yonko. They're literally just warming up. That's horrendous news for the Worst Generation there atop Onigashima. But to be fair, I think they're all still testing the waters as well. Except Luffy, that was a pretty ferocious beatdown. Brief, but intense. And Zoro dealt a small bit of damage as well with Oden's sword, Enma

Going to be a long battle

Dunki

Redo of Healer 5.

It is getting more "soft" yeah there is sex but otherwise? You had some Battle Him showing another "victim" the truth and again sex. While the Antagonist ist getting more crazy. You have a normal dynamic right now. I still can not see the fuss about it^^

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Always been curious about Anime but find it hard to get in to it. I've only watched Death Note when it was on Netflix and it was pretty good. I watched the film first and people were saying how bad it was, so I checked out the series and noticed the quality difference.

I do like that the episodes tend to be very short and bitesize. Maybe I just need to find one that suits my tastes. I'm a big horror buff when it comes to films, and I liked the atmosphere Death Note had.

Guilty_AI

Always been curious about Anime but find it hard to get in to it. I've only watched Death Note when it was on Netflix and it was pretty good. I watched the film first and people were saying how bad it was, so I checked out the series and noticed the quality difference.

I do like that the episodes tend to be very short and bitesize. Maybe I just need to find one that suits my tastes. I'm a big horror buff when it comes to films, and I liked the atmosphere Death Note had.
The original Higurashi is on netflix i believe. Might be worth a watch

AfricanKing

You should try The Promised Neverland

Top Bottom