• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
CE05qIQ.jpg

Recently got all of these, honestly even if your not a huge Gundam fan these are just an uttely fantastic time... but seeing all the beautiful hardback artwork all lined up feels great...

There an excellent manga series if you have thought about getting into Gundam but feel the origenal anime is a bit dated in terms of looks, this perfectly retells those events putting you in a perfect spot to enter with Gundam Zeta a much more modern looking anime. (Even if it I'd 30 years at this point)
Do you have a link to where I can find and buy these?

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Dr. Claus Dr. Claus got my set from amazon, apart from volume 1 which I got in my local traveling man (UK manga shop)

Last edited:
The last Gundam I enjoyed was Iron Blooded Orphans. And it was the characters and their relationships that kept me interested as their various plans come to fruition or failure. The series has mostly been a miss for me over the years tho

Labolas

SpyXFamily seems like it's going to be an enjoyable series. I remember people raving over it a year or two ago. Shield Hero season 2 is okay if not a bit formulaic. That's about it for me watching new anime. I've mostly been deep diving on manga again.

Been reading Gleipnir. I remember like the anime that came out, I liked the premise of it and figured that most stuff I like, it wasn't going to get a second season. So I finally remember it and decided to read the manga. Decide to skim reading the portions of where the anime took place.

iu

The story is as follows: (Summary from MU) What does one consider to be a monster? A horrible bloodsucking vampire? Frankenstein's creation? Shuichi Kagaya has a secret. Other than having great grades and being skilled at sports, he isn’t what one would call normal. In fact, Shuichi cannot even be considered human. One fateful morning, he woke up as a monster. With brute strength, an abnormally strong sense of smell, big fluffy paws, and the depression and self-hate that comes after losing one's humanity, his life was suddenly flipped upside down. Claire Aoki, the girl he had decided to save, now holds his secret over his head. Claire is a sadistic and utterly twisted girl, with no sense of empathy toward the lives of others. Before meeting Shuichi, she was in the search of monsters, hoping to find her monster sister. Despite becoming a monster, Shuichi naively continues to hold onto his human morals, but how long can one last in this insufferable way of living?

What I liked about it was the mere premise of a manipulative woman using a weak willed boy's unique power set for her own personal quest of vengeance. But what ends up happening is that both characters need each other and are bound to some sort of past that they share. Which is the big mystery of the story and how the MC got the powers to begin with. The art is pretty decent and the fanservice is nice. I really like Claire a lot, her unique personality brought a lot of charm and character to the story. At beginning you can't tell if she is just being manipulative and seductive for the sake of it but you soon find out she isn't as a bad person as initially believe. Shuichi's (the MC) powers are essentially coded as sexual innuendo. I do have a few qualms with the story. A lot of times you'll be in a middle of plot or arc for a character, the story will stop that current storyline to do a flashback to unravel a piece of the story. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this but it happens so much and does it at points where it would take me out of the story. Then it'll present a mystery or a new part of the story but immediately cut to present and it's never brought up again. A lot of side characters are forgettable and feel unnecessary to the story as a whole. Currently, the story isn't finished but it is reaching calamitic conclusion, so I do feel like I like it enough to finish it. (7/10)

Also another manga I read was:
iu

(Plot summary from Manga Updates):
Plants have taken over the planet.
In 2017, the vegetation in Tokyo rose up and toppled human society in moments.
The few survivors are forced to live in the relative safety of a subway network, but supplies are running low.
Join an average high school student named Akira as he challenges the plants in a struggle for survival!

It's a post apocalyptic giant monster manga, which if you know I happen to be a big fan of currently. And honestly this isn't different for me. I really really like this manga. The art is clean as hell. The story is coherent. The characters are pretty likable. So I didn't have much to dislike in this. Honestly, this is eerily similarly to another manga I raved about: Hakaijuu. Both MCs are looking for their love ones in midst of a world ending crisis. Both stories switches perspectives from the main lead. Characters finally have resources to fight back the kaiju. But to me, Hakaijuu edges out for me because of the hopeless it felt and how otherworldly the monsters felt. Not to say Green Worldz didn't have its moments because it did. Characters losing their shit immediately as soon as their world never gets old. The way characters fought the giant bugs and plants was bad ass. Side characters had some pretty bad ass moments themselves. The only thing really that held this back for me was how shonen this felt at times. Characters appearing out nowhere or how extremely lucky some characters are in certain scenarios, but overall a really fun ass manga, I definitely recommend this. *edit* I forgot this: if you try to read this online there are portions of the scenes that are black barred for some strange reason, don't know why someone decided to do this but it's kinda bad tbh. (8.5/10)

Last edited:

Doom85

So I’m almost done with Vol. 3 of the Golden Kamuy manga having started the series recently. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Sugimoto and Asirpa make for a great adventure duo. The supporting cast are solid so far. And the mangaka weaves the many details about hunting, cooking, and cultural customs of the time period in without it feeling like everything halted purely to be educational. It feels legit organic which is awesome.

Good timing for me to start it too as soon after I discovered the manga is close to finishing and I like knowing I can read everything without having to wait.

I went manga first as I heard based on first impressions the anime version was not great, but apparently they’ve consistently improved with each season so I will also check out the anime eventually.

VN1X

Banned
first teaser of new Gundam tv series :

Mobile Suit Gundam : The Witch From Mercury scheduled to air on this year october

if information is right, then this is first time officially we get a female MC lead.

Is it too late to get into Gundam? It's one of those franchises that basically feels too big to penetrate what with how many anime shows and films it has now.

Is there a decent starting point still or?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is it too late to get into Gundam? It's one of those franchises that basically feels too big to penetrate what with how many anime shows and films it has now.

Honestly Gundam you can really start anywhere. There is some semblance of an overarching plot, but its very much like Zelda or Fate where you have zero need to start from teh beginning. Just jump in, see the drama, the cool mechs, and the explosions.

VN1X

Banned
Honestly Gundam you can really start anywhere. There is some semblance of an overarching plot, but its very much like Zelda or Fate where you have zero need to start from teh beginning. Just jump in, see the drama, the cool mechs, and the explosions.
Is that the main draw then? The action and animation or does it also feature compelling narratives with strong characters?

SirTerry-T

So I’m almost done with Vol. 3 of the Golden Kamuy manga having started the series recently. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Sugimoto and Asirpa make for a great adventure duo. The supporting cast are solid so far. And the mangaka weaves the many details about hunting, cooking, and cultural customs of the time period in without it feeling like everything halted purely to be educational. It feels legit organic which is awesome.

Good timing for me to start it too as soon after I discovered the manga is close to finishing and I like knowing I can read everything without having to wait.

I went manga first as I heard based on first impressions the anime version was not great, but apparently they’ve consistently improved with each season so I will also check out the anime eventually.
GK is great, most eclectic bunch of characters since JJBA. The anime is good enough, it really hit it's stride with season 3. Season one got a lot of unfair shit from the anime community because of one scene with a dodgy CGI bear....one scene, in a single episode.

Dr. Claus Dr. Claus got my set from amazon, apart from volume 1 which I got in my local traveling man (UK manga shop)
I got the last 8 volumes delivered on Friday, looking forward to getting stuck in, only read the first 3 so far.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
GK is great, most eclectic bunch of characters since JJBA. The anime is good enough, it really hit it's stride with season 3. Season one got a lot of unfair shit from the anime community because of one scene with a dodgy CGI bear....one scene, in a single episode.
It was the pleb filter. I'm glad it never blew up. I'll get to it eventually.

New manga by the Chainsaw Man creator. Read it for free or don't.

Kumomeme

not late. Gundam series is like Final Fantasy. there is different entries with separate world and storyline. so you can start anywhere without worry. but dont confused with spin of series like Build Diver for example which is more about in real life world setting where character battled their toy gundam.

the series separated from different era. there is:

Universal Century
Future Century
After Colony
Correct Century
Cosmic Era
Anno Domini
Advance Generation
Regild Century
Post Dissaster

im not familliar with all of this as there still lot of series that i havent watched considering the year it aired. you can read it here. basically each era is like his own universe.

For starting point, watching series since 2000 might be good idea. for example Gundam OO or Gundam Seed .

Last edited:

Doom85

I’d say Gundam 00 would be a better pick over Seed. Seed had way weaker animation quality, and the cast in 00 were way more developed IMHO.

The_hunter

Golden kamuy is fantastic, top tier seinen manga.

Doom85

Why is Spy Family being hyped up so much? Was it a big manga?

Only read the first volume of the manga as I knew an anime was coming, but it was one hell of a fun opener. If the rest of the series keeps up with that quality, yes it should be a great action comedy. And yeah, it won a ton of manga awards and did quite well in sales. The only bigger new manga IP to be getting animated this year as far as I know will be Chainsaw Man.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's huge but not with the mainstream Shounen crowd. It's not in Weekly Jump. The HxH 1999 (Better version of HxH) and Rurouni Kenshin director is directing and writing. Studio WIT is doing the animation with CloverWorks. I'd say it's a big deal quality wise.

Last edited:

Doom85

Studio WIT is doing the animation with CloverWorks.

Thank god for the former’s involvement. I’m not saying CloverWorks is incapable of a good adaptation but after the middle finger that was Promised Neverland Season 2 and then the letdown that was the concluding episodes of Wonder Egg Priority, I think the anime fandom can breathe a little easier knowing WIT is also involved as their track record is pretty much spot on.

-Minsc-

Did you guys hear about Crunchyroll doing away with ad-based (free) viewing of new simulcasts starting this Spring? No more watching the latest episodes a week later without having to have a subscription.

It really sucks… Sony bought them, them, they merged with funimation (the other choice for watching free anime) and then they kill the free simulcasts on Crunchyroll. Sigh.
I thought something seemed strange when I was checking the new lineup. Shows with two episodes and I wasn't able to watch the first one. That's OK. I'll just take a break until I decide to pay. Lots going on in life to focus on so I'll consider it a blessing.

Labolas

It's because it's premise is really good and interesting. Yeah it's a pretty popular shonen manga that sold pretty well and won several awards.

I will say that this and several shonen manga (Chainsaw Man, Dadadan, Kaiju #8) are leading the charge as legitimately shonen jump good manga. Hell, I'm ended up enjoying the three manga and normally I don't like shonen jump shit.

manfestival

SpyXFamily seems like it's going to be an enjoyable series. I remember people raving over it a year or two ago. Shield Hero season 2 is okay if not a bit formulaic. That's about it for me watching new anime. I've mostly been deep diving on manga again.

Been reading Gleipnir. I remember like the anime that came out, I liked the premise of it and figured that most stuff I like, it wasn't going to get a second season. So I finally remember it and decided to read the manga. Decide to skim reading the portions of where the anime took place.

iu

The story is as follows: (Summary from MU) What does one consider to be a monster? A horrible bloodsucking vampire? Frankenstein's creation? Shuichi Kagaya has a secret. Other than having great grades and being skilled at sports, he isn’t what one would call normal. In fact, Shuichi cannot even be considered human. One fateful morning, he woke up as a monster. With brute strength, an abnormally strong sense of smell, big fluffy paws, and the depression and self-hate that comes after losing one's humanity, his life was suddenly flipped upside down. Claire Aoki, the girl he had decided to save, now holds his secret over his head. Claire is a sadistic and utterly twisted girl, with no sense of empathy toward the lives of others. Before meeting Shuichi, she was in the search of monsters, hoping to find her monster sister. Despite becoming a monster, Shuichi naively continues to hold onto his human morals, but how long can one last in this insufferable way of living?

What I liked about it was the mere premise of a manipulative woman using a weak willed boy's unique power set for her own personal quest of vengeance. But what ends up happening is that both characters need each other and are bound to some sort of past that they share. Which is the big mystery of the story and how the MC got the powers to begin with. The art is pretty decent and the fanservice is nice. I really like Claire a lot, her unique personality brought a lot of charm and character to the story. At beginning you can't tell if she is just being manipulative and seductive for the sake of it but you soon find out she isn't as a bad person as initially believe. Shuichi's (the MC) powers are essentially coded as sexual innuendo. I do have a few qualms with the story. A lot of times you'll be in a middle of plot or arc for a character, the story will stop that current storyline to do a flashback to unravel a piece of the story. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this but it happens so much and does it at points where it would take me out of the story. Then it'll present a mystery or a new part of the story but immediately cut to present and it's never brought up again. A lot of side characters are forgettable and feel unnecessary to the story as a whole. Currently, the story isn't finished but it is reaching calamitic conclusion, so I do feel like I like it enough to finish it. (7/10)

Also another manga I read was:
iu

(Plot summary from Manga Updates):
Plants have taken over the planet.
In 2017, the vegetation in Tokyo rose up and toppled human society in moments.
The few survivors are forced to live in the relative safety of a subway network, but supplies are running low.
Join an average high school student named Akira as he challenges the plants in a struggle for survival!

It's a post apocalyptic giant monster manga, which if you know I happen to be a big fan of currently. And honestly this isn't different for me. I really really like this manga. The art is clean as hell. The story is coherent. The characters are pretty likable. So I didn't have much to dislike in this. Honestly, this is eerily similarly to another manga I raved about: Hakaijuu. Both MCs are looking for their love ones in midst of a world ending crisis. Both stories switches perspectives from the main lead. Characters finally have resources to fight back the kaiju. But to me, Hakaijuu edges out for me because of the hopeless it felt and how otherworldly the monsters felt. Not to say Green Worldz didn't have its moments because it did. Characters losing their shit immediately as soon as their world never gets old. The way characters fought the giant bugs and plants was bad ass. Side characters had some pretty bad ass moments themselves. The only thing really that held this back for me was how shonen this felt at times. Characters appearing out nowhere or how extremely lucky some characters are in certain scenarios, but overall a really fun ass manga, I definitely recommend this. *edit* I forgot this: if you try to read this online there are portions of the scenes that are black barred for some strange reason, don't know why someone decided to do this but it's kinda bad tbh. (8.5/10)
Hoooold up. Gleipnir isn't going to get another season? I mean... I actually found the show oddly interesting. It wasn't amazing but the premise got me intrigued. Most people seemed to be turned off by... the presentation of things. It seemed to be really be building up for some CRAZY fights. Maybe I dive into the manga when it is finished.... mmm not sure

Fbh

That new Tatsuki Fujimoto One Shot they added to the Manga Plus App the other day was great.

eri0012.jpg

Goodbye Eri

Didn't care much for Fire Punch but between Chainsawman and his last couple of One shots he is becoming one of my favorite current authors.

Golden Kamuy is great. Really good characters, plot and art. And as a bonus points it also teaches you about a lesser known culture.
It does this thing which I love where the plot focuses on multiple groups at conflict with each other but every group is great, has their own motivations and usually doesn't fall into generic good vs evil tropes.

Forgot that there's a news season of Honzuki this season, it's the only one what I should watch. The previous seasons where very good and honest, really worth watching if you haven't.
But before watching the episode I decided to try two others from this season, "Kawaii Dake ja Nai Shikimori-san" and "Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road".

Shikimori-san is a "role reversal" romance.
There's a couple of high schoolers and the boy is the "damsel in distress" while the girl is the super cool girlfriend. I would want to watch this one if it wasn't so... unreal and soulless.
There is no character or style in the direction, feels like one of those that happens on automode, scenes just happen with a low music in the background, and there are so many strange scenes. For example, that scene in the beginning when a truck passes on the road and the girl "protects" the boy. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!?
Again, the premise is something that I could want to watch if better done. There's nothing wrong with the boy being passive and delicate and loving how cool his girlfriend is, but I also want something that shows that it's ok for girls to be cool and not delicate and cute (not just one type of cute) done in another way, not in this bland and obvious fashion with characters practically spouting the "moral" of the story. Understand what I mean?

I never liked this much and only got worse with time, every year gets worse, that's why I watch less and less anime as the seasons come and go. I need something with a strong script and style to be able to endure this lack of "soul" anime characters suffer. That's why I'm loving the stories drawn by Fujimoto that Fbh Fbh just mentioned above. Just pick anything from him to read and see if his characters are just off the shelf bland shells that you see inhabiting 90% of anime these days. For better or worse his characters are interesting and have personality. And of course, he isn't following the fads, he isn't writing characters and stories by what the mainstream is used and seems it may like this season, he puts on paper just what is interesting and looks cool to him and him alone. Just read Goodbye Eri and see that fucking punchline!

I'll probably not watch another episode of Shikimori-san, but I'm still thinking if I'll watch the third episode of "Shokei Shoujo", despite the premise forward being very obvious now.
It had everything to be a killer series for me personally. An Isekai where people from our world aren't welcome and there's a group that keeps and eye to kills them. But as soon the boy was killed midway the first episode the anime made sure to broadcast clearly that it's just one more that will follow the same tropes and ropes as every other anime. The way the characters talked, with that cheaply written speech to the wind (should I say ether in this case?), the annoying loli wearing pink, the airhead girl... everything else, it's so tiresome.

I hope Honzuki will not disappoint me much.

Reactions: Fbh

Pejo

I've been running low on series that I might have an interest in but haven't yet seen, so I was looking through some recommendations on a few sites, and Vanitas No Karte popped up a few times. I decided to give it a chance despite it looking like a Yaoi show, and it was actually really good. Watched both seasons or cours or whatever they're calling it now. I have to say, I've always heard the term 'gap moe' before, but never really seen it in practice in an official show until Jeanne from Vanitas no Karte. Really well executed and it was fun to watch. The rest of the show had enough intrigue to keep it moving. I guess the Anime is caught up with the Manga now though, so nothing from that for a few years if ever, most likely.

Labolas

Hoooold up. Gleipnir isn't going to get another season? I mean... I actually found the show oddly interesting. It wasn't amazing but the premise got me intrigued. Most people seemed to be turned off by... the presentation of things. It seemed to be really be building up for some CRAZY fights. Maybe I dive into the manga when it is finished.... mmm not sure
Yeah, there hasn't been news on Gleipnir getting another season. It wasn't really popular to begin with and it has a weird premise. Good thing is that the anime did stick close in adapting the manga so you can easily pick up where the anime left off.

Btw, did anyone here read Terraformars? I saw one or two episodes of the anime and wrote it off as shlock. Wondering if the manga is any better?

Last edited:
I hope Honzuki will not disappoint me much.

It did not!
It's an isekai, but a "good" one. It's like just medieval word (with a bit o magic) and there's the protagonist that have modern day knowledge, and use this knowledge just to achieve and satisfy his hobby. To do this requires a LOT of work.
The characters are all likable, the protagonist has a family that actually matters to the story which for me is a huge bonus and the audiovisual and pleasing.
It's also known as "Ascension of a Bookworm", it's really good and you'll not regret watching this one.

Kumomeme

I’d say Gundam 00 would be a better pick over Seed. Seed had way weaker animation quality, and the cast in 00 were way more developed IMHO.
well Gundam OO release 5 years later after Seed and the animation still hold well today.

but in term of storyline, drama, romance, military and politics Seed is miles better. the character also more vulnerable. it feel close to our real world. personally for me due to these reason, Seed is better starting point than OO as it also feel 'closer' to the older gundam series.

OO world setting is more futuristic with physic power characters and stuff than Seed and the Gundam also way crazy powerfull like one man army.

depend on preferences. both is great. but Seed is a bit dated in term of animation.

Last edited:

Doom85

well Gundam OO release 5 years later after Seed and the animation still hold well today.

but in term of storyline, drama, romance, military and politics Seed is miles better. the character also more vulnerable. it feel close to our real world. personally for me due to these reason, Seed is better starting point than OO as it also feel 'closer' to the older gundam series.

OO world setting is more futuristic with physic power characters and stuff than Seed and the Gundam also way crazy powerfull like one man army.

depend on preferences. both is great. but Seed is a bit dated in term of animation.

I mean, Seed also had several psychic style characters, and by a certain point Kira and Athrun just start curb stomping everyone except for the final villain.

Also, people felt way more vulnerable in 00 for me. Pretty much anytime Ali showed up, it felt like someone might die given his body count of significant characters. Seed did have a respectable body count but only due to the final few episodes whereas 00 spread its deaths out more evenly. Also, I haven’t watched Destiny, but I know they retcon one of the biggest deaths in Seed.

Also, Seed was the more futuristic. In 00, they only had a “space elevator”. In Seed, they had colonized well into space.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I finished the Miss Kobayashi Dragon Maid anime season 1 & 2. I really liked it, one of my favourites now. Im gonna watch Ive Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level

Batiman

Banned
First time posting in this thread. I enjoy anime even though I’m not hardcore like a lot of you people. I just have to say Ranking of kings episode 21 is one of the best episodes of anime I’ve ever seen. It was beautiful all around. The show is amazing itself but that episode specifically blew me away. I haven’t felt that hype form watching anime for a long time. I hope you guys enjoyed that show as well and recommend it to anyone who hasn’t. Gives me a light-hearted Game of Thrones vibe. Which is awesome and weird at the same time. Ever since game of thrones ended I’ve tried to find something to fill that void. Can’t believe it would be this childish looking anime. Beautiful characters and world. Excited for more of it.

First time posting in this thread. I enjoy anime even though I’m not hardcore like a lot of you people. I just have to say Ranking of kings episode 21 is one of the best episodes of anime I’ve ever seen. It was beautiful all around. The show is amazing itself but that episode specifically blew me away. I haven’t felt that hype form watching anime for a long time. I hope you guys enjoyed that show as well and recommend it to anyone who hasn’t. Gives me a light-hearted Game of Thrones vibe. Which is awesome and weird at the same time. Ever since game of thrones ended I’ve tried to find something to fill that void. Can’t believe it would be this childish looking anime. Beautiful characters and world. Excited for more of it.

Reason you got so impressive by that episode from Ranking is exactly because you're a casual watcher. The animation yes, it's "impressive", but as an episode not so much.

It may not be to your tastes yet but may I recommend you one of the best anime of all time?
The name is "Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu".
You can watch it on Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/pt-br/showa-genroku-rakugo-shinju
It's two 13+12 episodes season. (first episode is double length, but there's a "director's cut" that it's quadruple length that already introduce side characters and gives a bit more background)

I already said everything that I needed, it's one of the greatest and you should try to watch it.
There are many scenes in this series that impresses me as much as that animation from Ranking, but not because of the feats of a lone animations, it's thanks to the writing and directing quality.

Labolas

Saw the first episode of Summer Time Rendering. Was pretty much sold on the first episode. Animation is pretty clean looking as well. Really has a good hook to pull you in the story. Recommended for sure.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm a little late on this but on a whim, I decided to try The Rising of Shield Hero. Very enjoyable so far. Treating the protagonist like dog shit at the beginning was a nice twist. Makes you want to see him succeed even more.

Doom85

I'm a little late on this but on a whim, I decided to try The Rising of Shield Hero. Very enjoyable so far. Treating the protagonist like dog shit at the beginning was a nice twist. Makes you want to see him succeed even more.

My problem with Shield Hero was not only going too extreme in the matter of having so many people against him almost instantly, but also making some of those people morons for the sake of plot convenience to have that happen. So these other heroes who are supposed to also be gamers don’t understand the importance of the tank role? Seriously? Would they have mocked Naofumi is he was designated the healer instead? Only a total novice thinks a party can be DPS-only.

Also, it just felt shallow theme-wise in a post Re:Zero world. Re:Zero showed that yes, some people can be cruel, but often your problems happen due to your own mistakes and pride (which is how reality pretty much works), and Subaru had to learn that. Shield Hero feels like it wants to only acknowledge the first half of that idea. If Naofumi’s betrayal at the hands of others had been due to not just their actions but also his own mistakes or arrogance, that would have one thing, but no it’s just a basic “people suck” shtick and leading to a revenge that doesn’t seem all that exciting to me as his targets aren’t even that cunning to be honest.

The only saving grace was Kevin Penkin kicking ass with the music like he always does, but I had to drop it 3 episodes in. I’m down for more serious isekai like Re:Zero (or really, any good isekai as the only ones I’ve enjoyed are Re:Zero, No Game No Life, and Konosuba. Also, Cautious Hero was okay but I’d never rewatch it) but this missed the mark for me personally. I am hoping that Executioner anime airing this season turns out good as it looks fairly serious.

Y0ssarian

Banned
My problem with Shield Hero was not only going too extreme in the matter of having so many people against him almost instantly, but also making some of those people morons for the sake of plot convenience to have that happen. So these other heroes who are supposed to also be gamers don’t understand the importance of the tank role? Seriously? Would they have mocked Naofumi is he was designated the healer instead? Only a total novice thinks a party can be DPS-only.

Also, it just felt shallow theme-wise in a post Re:Zero world. Re:Zero showed that yes, some people can be cruel, but often your problems happen due to your own mistakes and pride (which is how reality pretty much works), and Subaru had to learn that. Shield Hero feels like it wants to only acknowledge the first half of that idea. If Naofumi’s betrayal at the hands of others had been due to not just their actions but also his own mistakes or arrogance, that would have one thing, but no it’s just a basic “people suck” shtick and leading to a revenge that doesn’t seem all that exciting to me as his targets aren’t even that cunning to be honest.

The only saving grace was Kevin Penkin kicking ass with the music like he always does, but I had to drop it 3 episodes in. I’m down for more serious isekai like Re:Zero (or really, any good isekai as the only ones I’ve enjoyed are Re:Zero, No Game No Life, and Konosuba. Also, Cautious Hero was okay but I’d never rewatch it) but this missed the mark for me personally. I am hoping that Executioner anime airing this season turns out good as it looks fairly serious.
Does season 2 of Re Zero pick up? I liked S1 but in season 2 nothing was doing it for me for like 10 episodes

KielCasto

I never got the idea that Shield Hero was supposed to be a deep story although I’m chapters behind in the manga. But I do agree that the other heroes remain insufferable.

drganon

Just finished reading berserk deluxe edition volume 4. Things have just gone from bad to really REALLY bad.

The misfortune of the band of hawk aside, Kentaro Miura's artwork is truly something to behold. The nice thing about the deluxe editions are the bigger pages which really let you enjoy the artwork.

-Minsc-

Re:Zero showed that yes, some people can be cruel, but often your problems happen due to your own mistakes and pride (which is how reality pretty much works), and Subaru had to learn that. Shield Hero feels like it wants to only acknowledge the first half of that idea. If Naofumi’s betrayal at the hands of others had been due to not just their actions but also his own mistakes or arrogance, that would have one thing, but no it’s just a basic “people suck” shtick and leading to a revenge that doesn’t seem all that exciting to me as his targets aren’t even that cunning to be honest.
I have more a problem with the people who suck up the "revenge is awesome" theme than the design of the MC's character and circumstances. The reality is, some things do happen to people that are no fault of their own. Reflecting, I say Naofumi's circumstances were influenced by his own mistakes and arrogance to a degree. He was way too trusting and it cost him dearly. What I do not remember is if he came to terms with this during the previous seasons. If he didn't go through all that stuff, I have little doubt he would be living up the fantasy like the other heroes.

Top Bottom