• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

GonSama

86 Part 2's final episode was amazing.
Really enjoyed this series.

Hope they make a sequel (they only covered 3 volumes, so there's alot of material since the LN currently has 11 or 12 volumes).

Last edited:

Valonquar

qqBICVc.jpg

OH LAWD EP 11 was some sexual TENSION

NahaNago

So this is how Luffy is going to make all of those people laugh in the end. The only thing though is that this power seems to OP since he only seemed slightly weaker than Kaido but now he seems almost like a gag character that can't be beat. The eyebrows are a bit much.

Last edited:

Labolas

Welp the bastardization of FLCL continues as Adult Swim announces three, I repeat, THREE new seasons of it has been announced.

Fucking kill me now.

Doom85

Welp the bastardization of FLCL continues as Adult Swim announces three, I repeat, THREE new seasons of it has been announced.

Fucking kill me now.

Animated GIF

Now, I only watched Season 2 and never got to 3, but I admit I thought S2 was fairly good……HOWEVER it did not justify being a sequel IMHO especially considering the original FLCL is my 4th favorite anime of all time. So if you’re doing a sequel to THAT, you have to deliver more than just “fairly good”.

I might watch S3 some day just because I got the S2 & 3 combo Blu-Ray for pretty cheap and I heard most thought 3 was better than 2, but after that I’m done. Fuck off with any more seasons of this. I want new seasons of shows that are UNFINISHED, like No Game No Life and Land of the Lustrous, not to shows that were already nicely concluded.

Doom85

If only the manga would come back...
I understand the author stopping indefinitely when she stopped but it's just cruel to the readers.

Is it health problems? Seems it happens to plenty of mangaka like the authors of Hunter x Hunter and D. Gray-man. Heck, No Game No Life was going to be a manga but the author’s unspecified illness made him realize writing it as a light novel series would be more manageable with his condition.

I'm re-rereading Otoyomegatari again and something it's bothering me... the official translation.
Anyone who reads have this same impression, that the translation is not as good as it should be? Both for the accuracy and prose?
(unofficial translations are easily available to compare)

Sorry, I completely forgot.
Maybe I wrote what I wanted latter, maybe... I think it was about Mieruko.

Is it health problems? Seems it happens to plenty of mangaka like the authors of Hunter x Hunter and D. Gray-man. Heck, No Game No Life was going to be a manga but the author’s unspecified illness made him realize writing it as a light novel series would be more manageable with his condition.

It's worse! She got a PS5:

i0uwVgs.jpg

It was just a convenient time for her to take a brake.
Besides this bit about getting a PS5, the last chapter ends in another time jump and the last speech bubble literally says "we'll come back in 10 thousand years".
It was horrible to be a reader of this series, not only because everything that we had to see happening in the pages (pure hell), but also because we fear how long the mangaka could stretch this break. It's over a year now and no news.

Last edited:

Pejo

Any of you guys watch Sabikui Bisco? I honestly can't tell if I enjoy the show or not. There are elements that I really like, but the pacing is so poor, it really hurts the show overall. I think we see plenty of this these days, but the it could have used a slower pace to make the character development make sense. I do love how batshit weird the universe is though, and at times it gives me Gurren Lagann vibes.

Doom85

Any of you guys watch Sabikui Bisco? I honestly can't tell if I enjoy the show or not. There are elements that I really like, but the pacing is so poor, it really hurts the show overall. I think we see plenty of this these days, but the it could have used a slower pace to make the character development make sense. I do love how batshit weird the universe is though, and at times it gives me Gurren Lagann vibes.

Once I finish Elden Ring, I plan on binging it. I do know it is based on a light novel series, so maybe that affected the pacing if the studio didn’t want Season 1 to end on a cliffhanger.

I know Re:Zero Season 1 adapted a crazy total of 9 light novels in its 25 episodes (since ending on a few of the novels before #9 would be a major cliffhanger), but the pacing still felt right and the director even appealed to the TV network regarding episode 18 to allow the episode to be roughly 90 seconds longer as they wanted to make sure Subaru and Rem’s heartfelt back and forth was done right.

I imagine it’s tricky to adapt manga and light novels into seasons sometimes. You don’t want to end a season in the middle of an arc but avoiding that might either lead to pacing issues or cutting too much stuff out.

Pejo

Once I finish Elden Ring, I plan on binging it. I do know it is based on a light novel series, so maybe that affected the pacing if the studio didn’t want Season 1 to end on a cliffhanger.

I know Re:Zero Season 1 adapted a crazy total of 9 light novels in its 25 episodes (since ending on a few of the novels before #9 would be a major cliffhanger), but the pacing still felt right and the director even appealed to the TV network regarding episode 18 to allow the episode to be roughly 90 seconds longer as they wanted to make sure Subaru and Rem’s heartfelt back and forth was done right.

I imagine it’s tricky to adapt manga and light novels into seasons sometimes. You don’t want to end a season in the middle of an arc but avoiding that might either lead to pacing issues or cutting too much stuff out.
Yea I can appreciate the situation that a studio is in when it's adapting material to an anime series, especially when the popularity is a relative unknown - in other words not guaranteeing a season 2 or whatever. Still, I can't help but wish they did a better job in this show, where it feels like all the character development happens off screen and then you just get this unearned bond between the characters who start sacrificing themselves for each other out of nowhere.

I think I'm only complaining because I see a lot of potential in the show and it's frustrating the way it ended up. This week's should be the final ep I think, so I'm curious how they'll end it after last week's cliffhanger.

Last edited:
I really hope they confirm a season 2 for My Dress Up Darling soon and that we only have to wait a year or so for it. Never expected to love that show as much as I ended up.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Did you guys hear about Crunchyroll doing away with ad-based (free) viewing of new simulcasts starting this Spring? No more watching the latest episodes a week later without having to have a subscription.

It really sucks… Sony bought them, them, they merged with funimation (the other choice for watching free anime) and then they kill the free simulcasts on Crunchyroll. Sigh.

Celcius

°Temp. member
first teaser of new Gundam tv series :

Mobile Suit Gundam : The Witch From Mercury scheduled to air on this year october

if information is right, then this is first time officially we get a female MC lead.

This looks really good. Hopefully they put this on their gundam.info YouTube channel.

Mobile Suit Gundam : The Witch From Mercury scheduled to air on this year october

if information is right, then this is first time officially we get a female MC lead.

I didn’t expect to this a legit TV show! I thought it’d be some small animation project.

I’m all for a female lead but she looks a bit too young and innocent for the pilot of what’s going to be the deadliest machine in the battlefields. Protagonists always Gundams that are OP as hell. In any case I dig the mecha design a lot. Hopefully they stick to 2D animation.

Kumomeme

I didn’t expect to this a legit TV show! I thought it’d be some small animation project.

I’m all for a female lead but she looks a bit too young and innocent for the pilot of what’s going to be the deadliest machine in the battlefields. Protagonists always Gundams that are OP as hell. In any case I dig the mecha design a lot. Hopefully they stick to 2D animation.
they released small information about mecha in the anime. the Gundam in the teaser is called 'Aerial Gundam'.

url

Doom85

I’m all for a female lead but she looks a bit too young and innocent for the pilot of what’s going to be the deadliest machine in the battlefields.

I mean, of the Gundams I’ve seen, Amuro (original), Kamille (Zeta), and Kira (Seed) (also the dude from Unicorn I saw 1 episode of) were pretty naive and out of their element (hell, I mean Kamille’s initial reason for even hopping into the Gundam is insanely immature IIRC) . Only Heero (Wing), Setsuna (00) and the dude from Iron-Blooded Orphans (only watched 2 episodes but do want to return to it someday) seemed to be either already trained or at least ready to handle a Gundam. So she sounds par for the course honestly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Started watching My Dress Up Darling today and this show is really good. I’ve never been to a cosplay convention before but this show is making me want to go see what the atmosphere is like

NahaNago

watched the jujutsu kaisen 0 movie. It was for the most part pretty good to alright. It felt like an extremely long anime episode to me. The action was for the most part okay but not stunning, I vaguely remembering enjoying some of the music, and the visuals or at least the scenery was pretty good. I kind of felt like it was all over the place with the story though. Like it kinda felt like an psychological emotional horror drama at times and then it felt like a typical shonen anime. The main character is a bit odd in how he deals with things. It's weird but I felt like the rest of the supporting cast was done better than the main character. I'd give this movie a rating of B-. I'm coming from a place of only reading the manga though. If you like the series just go ahead and watch the movie.

Need to catch up on My dress up darling and finish that kotaro lives alone anime.

I do somewhat agree that she looks young or at least younger than usual. But it could just be the fault of the style making her look younger than usual or maybe they are going for the moe or kawaii young girl with the combo of gundams in order to capture both audiences.

Sakura

The protagonist in Victory Gundam is like 13 years old. ZZ protag is 14, Wing is 15, Amuro and Kira also start at 15 years old.
Pretty par for the course to be honest.

Personally I will probably pass on the show. I haven't enjoyed a Gundam TV series in like 2 decades.

I'm re-reading Otoyomegatari (A Bride's Story) and got an itch to comment a bit.

Every time I read it always weird me the passage of time in the story.
For what the narration said Karluk and Amira's marriage still didn't completed on year. I understand that the passage of time depends on Smith's travel, even so... Not that it's a problem, just that I share Amira's sentiment of wanting to see Karluk grow up faster.
And talking about him, currently in the story he is living with her brother during winter, and this makes me think about how the culture of the steppes is represented in the series.

Recently I was listening to some podcasts about the history of the peoples of the steppes and despite this type of happening being very common in script-writing, Karluk going away a bit to strengthen himself and all the other in story reasons, according to local traditions this stay could be seen as a ritual of passage to Karluk to become an "adult".

hQN7xkL.jpg

Of course, it's the end of the 19th Century, the culture of the steppes is not the same it was, but some of it's core characteristics remain. It seems it was common (during more ancient times) to for the young to perform a ritual and be abandoned to the wild,

A culture detail related to this that certainly is not present in the series are the dogs. Rather the author choose to focus on hawks "because the hawks symbolize the freedom and so and so of the nomads...". Common pedestrian stuff.
From what I heard, "young nomad boys wanting to become adults" = dog.
As part of the ritual before being expelled by their families to fend in the wild they had to kill a dog. Yes, the domestic dogs of the community. After that they would bake and eat it, with that logic that you absorb the strength of the thing you consume.
They would also take the dogs skin to make their clothes.
These boys would them live like bands of dogs, choosing a leader for the band. Basically a school for what life would be in their adult life with the group fighting for their survival but following and being servile to the tribe's boss.

Interesting detail, that idea of a "berserker" from the vikings legends looks like a left over from all that. Those groups had "immunity" to do the barbarities they wanted, attacking and pillaging everyone, some times under the influence of drugs going into the raid in the nudes in a trance.

All that was one a phase, part of a great ritual.
Eventually they would return "home", upon when they would perform other ritual for purification like dive into the river or/and burn their clothes. After that they would be considered people again, and now adults and would be allowed to marry and form families.

Imagine they had variations, shouldn't be all the same across the whole steppe, but the basic idea persisted for thousand of years.
Like I mentioned Otoyomegatari has little of this except the detail that Karluk left his family for a time to go live in the wild and become stronger, more adult-like.

It's a shame that so little time have passed because when he comes back what will be the difference?
A few centimetres and kilograms more. It's like he will become stronger just because this short experience, he still have a body of a child and will naturally develop one of an adult no matter what he does.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I recently sat down to go through my Gundam Blu-Ray's. I have just finished the HD Remaster of Seed and noticed that crunchyroll had the HD edition of Seed Destiny (no Blu-ray release in the UK). I remember thinking Destiny was crap but honestly rewatching it now in its improved "final" version in context of modern anime... its not so bad, I was actually enjoying it especially early on when the main team contains Zaku's.

Looking forward to a new series though, Iron Blooded orphans was fantastic and a return to "real robot" that some of the more recent series like seed started to forget...

I say recent but... seed was 20 years ago now... Jesus I feel old.

Oh my goddess I just realized!
All this peregrination that Smith took back to take photos and in the end what he did? He took a whole bunch of photos from the most improbable place possible, where there was a super high chance that he wouldn't have authorization to take a single one.
From the Eihon family it was expected that he wound't reach there, but what about the twins? It's not possible that he took their photo and the author just didn't show us in the pages, it's not possible, right?
Imagine, Smith on the boat to Mombai when suddenly strikes him that he forgot to take their photos! 😱

71Afrp9.jpg

Astral Dog

yo, started watching Attack on Titan a few days ago, its an intriguing premise,with some freaky monsters and cool looking action.
However, after awhile the 'plot' started to feel samey and the characters so one note, until i wouldn't mind if the Titans just eat those kids lol don't think i will finish the season.

Fbh

Finished Ranking of Kings. It kept me interested enough to watch till the end but overall found it really disappointing.

It's weird, the first half was like "this isn't what you'd expect looking at the art style" but then by the end it morphs into "this is exactly what you'd expect looking at the art style". A lot of the darker elements get put aside, and a lot of interesting concepts they set up in the first half get resolved in the most boring way possible.
Never really go the appeal of Bojji either, he is cute at first but doesn't develop a whole lot beyond growing slightly more confident, and it's weird how everyone ends up commenting on how great he is and what a good king he'd make when he pretty much acts like a toddler the whole time. Isn't he supposed to be like 12 or 13 or something?

yo, started watching Attack on Titan a few days ago, its an intriguing premise,with some freaky monsters and cool looking action.
However, after awhile the 'plot' started to feel samey and the characters so one note, until i wouldn't mind if the Titans just eat those kids lol don't think i will finish the season.

The first season felt a bit bloated and you could tell they were struggling with the budget (got to really stretch out those monologue scenes and static scenery shots). It gets better later on IMO.
Or just read the manga which has much better pacing

Last edited:
Oh my goddess I just realized!
All this peregrination that Smith took back to take photos and in the end what he did? He took a whole bunch of photos from the most improbable place possible, where there was a super high chance that he wouldn't have authorization to take a single one.
From the Eihon family it was expected that he wound't reach there, but what about the twins? It's not possible that he took their photo and the author just didn't show us in the pages, it's not possible, right?
Imagine, Smith on the boat to Mombai when suddenly strikes him that he forgot to take their photos! 😱

71Afrp9.jpg

Oh my goddess I just realized! x2

Here I was reading chapter 89 and a bit concerned, thinking that I had forgotten despite having read this chapter again just last week that Smith had actually taken the twin's photo. But no, I was not wrong about not having seen that!

I never realized this. No matter how good the drawings are the pages published in the magazine are still not final, it's still revised for the compiled books. That's what happened, in the magazine page there's really no frame showing Smith taking the photo of the twins.
Rather than that in this penultimate page of the chapter that shows him taking photos there's a blank space. Space that in the compiled version is filled by the twins posing to the photo.

6XdEQxr.jpg

This scared me a bit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished watching Keijo and we need a season 2. That show was funnier and more ridiculous than I could have imagined haha

STARSBarry

Gold Member
CE05qIQ.jpg

Recently got all of these, honestly even if your not a huge Gundam fan these are just an uttely fantastic time... but seeing all the beautiful hardback artwork all lined up feels great...

There an excellent manga series if you have thought about getting into Gundam but feel the origenal anime is a bit dated in terms of looks, this perfectly retells those events putting you in a perfect spot to enter with Gundam Zeta a much more modern looking anime. (Even if it I'd 30 years at this point)

Last edited:
Now that I know this is really hard to not notice every time this "mistake" appears:

mctEUnU.jpg

Being japanese could be expected that the changes of the author committing this mistake was lower.
I'm talking about the way characters handle the bow. The side they put the arrow and the grip they use to draw is "wrong". They way show here would make very difficult to use a bow while mounted.

CE05qIQ.jpg

Recently got all of these, honestly even if your not a huge Gundam fan these are just an uttely fantastic time... but seeing all the beautiful hardback artwork all lined up feels great...

There an excellent manga series if you have thought about getting into Gundam but feel the origenal anime is a bit dated in terms of looks, this perfectly retells those events putting you in a perfect spot to enter with Gundam Zeta a much more modern looking anime. (Even if it I'd 30 years at this point)

Did you watched the OVAS?
Don't know if they adapt all the manga, I only watched one or two episodes and forgotten.

Last edited:

Labolas

Just finished watching Keijo and we need a season 2. That show was funnier and more ridiculous than I could have imagined haha
Yeah one of my favorites that came out that year. Loved it so much that I got it on blu ray. A shame that the manga got cancel or we would have gotten another season.

b14d7my.jpg

What a nice way to start a day, reading a random chapter of Insomnia.
There's the part that pleases me personally seeing Magari buying her first camera (Sony α6400) because of shared interest, but there's anything better than chapters that shows the characters parents interacting?
More specifically, chapters about the parent's happiness of watching over the happiness of their child?
(that's a rhetorical question)

j0zv0oE.jpg

drganon

Finished volume 3 of berserk deluxe edition. I know enough about the series to know things are about to go south (even more than already) for our loveable gang of mercenaries in volume 4 onward.

manfestival

Finished Ranking of Kings. It kept me interested enough to watch till the end but overall found it really disappointing.

It's weird, the first half was like "this isn't what you'd expect looking at the art style" but then by the end it morphs into "this is exactly what you'd expect looking at the art style". A lot of the darker elements get put aside, and a lot of interesting concepts they set up in the first half get resolved in the most boring way possible.
Never really go the appeal of Bojji either, he is cute at first but doesn't develop a whole lot beyond growing slightly more confident, and it's weird how everyone ends up commenting on how great he is and what a good king he'd make when he pretty much acts like a toddler the whole time. Isn't he supposed to be like 12 or 13 or something?
Just finished Ranking of Kings yesterday. I agree with your assessment. The first half of the show I was fully in. The second half of the show I enjoyed but far less because of how everything went from intense to anything can happen to becoming like every other show in the way it resolves things.

Reactions: Fbh
There's a manga called "Stravaganza", it's just 6 volumes with a volume 7 of "post credits extras".
I remembered because someone is finally translating this volume 7.
You can find it on Mangadex, it's short and good.

Top Bottom