• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian is tired, closes feminist frequency after 15 years

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Logic is not the strong aspect of the feminist mind you. Against sexualization of women in video game, but fine with the onlyfans getting all over the place.
Sex work: empowering

Only fans: empowering

Fat/ugly women in revealing clothing: empowering

Drag queens: empowering

Attractive heterosexual women who don’t give a single shit about the culture war dressing sexy because it makes them feel good and they enjoy the attention: absolutely fucking vile

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Get Out Bye Felicia GIF

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I read the first 3 when I was in highschool around 1998- 2002. So my memories of the first 3 are a bit fuzzy. But I don't think she had a thing for Jaime, I might be wrong though. I remember her having a POV chapters.
They build a close relationship over time traveling together and Brienne falls in love with Jaime yeah.

FeralEcho

I weirdly had this advert come up in this thread. In my 43 years I have never seen a women in a car garage under a car or had a women telling me my ball joints knackered..

zCpTO9f.jpg

Maybe Anita can now find a new role in getting women into garages.
She's struggling really hard in that pic......

.......with understanding what the fuck she's even looking at.

Someone let her back in the kitchen where she's more comfortable.
Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wonder how much money she grifted over the years on this.

Anyone think she became a millionaire off this?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Neil sure likes retweeting photos of women showing off steroid-induced hyper-masculine physiques though!

In bizarro world, women being feminine is objectification, but women chemically converting themselves into musclebound bodybuilders is empowering. Women can only be defined non-problematically by masculine attributes now.
He clearly has a kink.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's interesting because I thought it shut down like 4 years ago when she ran out of Kickstarter money, laid off the whole team, and split from useless leech Jonathan McIntosh.

It's interesting because I thought it shut down like 4 years ago when she ran out of Kickstarter money, laid off the whole team, and split from useless leech Jonathan McIntosh.
I think she's spent the last few years trying to drum up money and found that the well has completely dried up. She wouldn't have shut this down if she thought there was even a remote chance that she could still get any money out of it. When she says she's "tired", she means she's tired of being told "no thanks".

SSfox

Neil sure likes retweeting photos of women showing off steroid-induced hyper-masculine physiques though!

In bizarro world, women being feminine is objectification, but women chemically converting themselves into musclebound bodybuilders is empowering. Women can only be defined non-problematically by masculine attributes now.

I don't understand why for some there should only be one type allowed, those same people talk about freedom of expression but they're the first one that got triggered if something is against their beliefs.

Madonis

1. She made some good points about various common tropes and stereotypes.

2. She was also wrong about several examples and ignored other games that avoided such tropes.

3. Some people went insane and should have just ignored her after brief mockery at most.

4. Ironically, I was introduced to some pretty interesting games by looking up the footage featured in the videos.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think she's spent the last few years trying to drum up money and found that the well has completely dried up. She wouldn't have shut this down if she thought there was even a remote chance that she could still get any money out of it. When she says she's "tired", she means she's tired of being told "no thanks".

These rats can't even free themselves of the mindset after gnawing off their own tails. This is a strategy, just like any other thing that comes out of her brain. It's either a burgeoning new cycle of the standard "self pity - crowd pity - power - abuse of power - self pity - repeat," or a ploy for more funds from the army of PC. Could also be pre-emptive putting her name out there so interested parties (probably ND) have time to organization-shuffle a juicy lead position for her. These types double down when they're objectively wrong or losing. Admitting defeat doesn't compute, this is the new evolution of the grift.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1. She made some good points about various common tropes and stereotypes.

2. She was also wrong about several examples and ignored other games that avoided such tropes.

3. Some people went insane and should have just ignored her after brief mockery at most.

4. Ironically, I was introduced to some pretty interesting games by looking up the footage featured in the videos.
I will sum all of the bullshit up in one sentence.

Artists are only allowed creative freedoms when they're lockstep in the ideologies being pushed, comrade.

The end.

Read the sentence multiple times if needed.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Artists are only allowed creative freedoms when they're lockstep in the ideologies being pushed, comrade.

The end.

It's classic how intentionally dense these people are, too. When I was growing up, I appreciated the fact that there were different stories for different people with different interests. Everything has to, by design, be so muddy now. If you're writing a story about a medieval European warlord, it NEEDS to have a disproportionate number of gay black amputees or it's hateful. When did people become so weak minded that *any* piece of media, regardless of time period, setting or language, HAS to reflect the viewer or participant otherwise its ERASING MY EXISTENCE LITERALLY GENOCIDE REEEE

?

Madonis

The end.

You say "comrade", but the phrase would still apply if we changed the term to "patriot".

Unfortunately, that sort of attitude isn't coming exclusively from one side of the ideological divide.

Anyway, I said my piece about her. No hate, no love.

I will in fact continue to play all sorts of games, regardless of what she (or her opposite) would think about them.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's classic how intentionally dense these people are, too. When I was growing up, I appreciated the fact that there were different stories for different people with different interests. Everything has to, by design, be so muddy now. If you're writing a story about a medieval European warlord, it NEEDS to have a disproportionate number of gay black amputees or it's hateful. When did people become so weak minded that *any* piece of media, regardless of time period, setting or language, HAS to reflect the viewer or participant otherwise its ERASING MY EXISTENCE LITERALLY GENOCIDE REEEE

?
It's not the view of the majority, that's an objective fact. Sadly, it's in the right institutions to carry out the agenda.

You say "comrade", but the phrase would still apply if we changed the term to "patriot".

Because that sort of attitude isn't coming exclusively from one side of the ideological divide, unfortunately.

It's all about where the playbook is born from, you see. Nothing wrong with being a patriot, unless in western societies that is. ;)

China loves their patriotic comrades.

Madonis

It's not the view of the majority, that's an objective fact. Sadly, it's in the right institutions to carry out the agenda.

It's all about where the playbook is born from, you see. Nothing wrong with being a patriot, unless in western societies that is. ;)

China loves their patriotic comrades.

Nothing inherently wrong, true, but it refers to the reality that restrictions and backlash against various forms of media, including games, don't come from only one source.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

?
That's because social media globally exposed corporations and marketing managers for the chickens they really are. The second there's some people complaining, they cave in and try to make something so safe and representative, it gets people grilling them off their backs. even though 99% of consumers are fine with it, that vocal 1% scares the shit out of them.

Its really no different than the CSR supervisor giving in to a loud caller just to get rid of them. I saw it all the time at my old job as I sat right across the cubicle wall from our dept's CSR rep. It makes no sense why a guy who bought it 5 years ago should get a refund or a free replacement. But when it gets escalated, a lot of management have zero interest or time to deal with people with issues, so if they give in and sent them free product in the mail, the angry customer goes away.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nothing inherently wrong, true, but it refers to the reality that restrictions and backlash against various forms of media, including games, don't come from only one source.
Never said it did. But the context is the current media power play at the moment.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Unfortunately, that sort of attitude isn't coming exclusively from one side of the ideological divide.

From my experience, it's kind of akin to like

Going to rob a gas station with a gun, shooting three people dead and being pissed that you got tackled from behind by a cop. Like...

It's the subterfuge that irks me. Hijacking an existing property and "modernizing," it with agendas. Making Batman a lesbian Asian isn't going to make lesbian Asians like Batman, and it isn't going to make bigots like lesbian Asians. Also, it's not Batman. It's a lesbian Asian cosplaying. At this point, make a new IP. If your ideas are so revolutionary, they'd surely stand Up on their own without having to resort to brand recognition, right?

These pretenders have no concept of the media they're trying to coopt. These franchises aren't huge because of the patriarchy or whatever side assed thing is in vogue. It's because they were based initially on good ideas and good writing, and have had years (decades in some cases) of time to marinade in the public consciousness. These people don't create anything, they're essentially demolition artists with painter berets.

Madonis

If your ideas are so revolutionary, they'd surely stand Up on their own without having to resort to brand recognition, right?

Generally the case, but revolutions are hard (in every sense). Sometimes the original brand is doing worse than the alternative.

See: Peter Parker's current comics are often worse written than those of other related, derivative characters. His games are pretty good these days though!

Last edited:

Woggleman

I wish they would just create their own stories and art instead of always coopting something else. Some of them act like everything made before 2010 is so terribly problematic but they can't stop mining these things for ideas. The 60s and 70s generation made great and original protest music, movies and TV so why can't the modern day SJWs?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Was always weird and fucked up to me how she constantly rallied against the "sexism" in gaming, but then never brought up people like Roberta Williams or even Carol Shaw. The women were there, just never really recognized for their impact to the industry. That's what she should've given attention to.

It'd be fucking amazing to have some woman dev nowadays in the vein of Williams. Someone that knew games, knew what people wanted, and followed a vision instead of politics.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Case in Point: Returnal. I mean, look at that hideous hag. She has to be most ugly protag in a video game ever...

E8AVX1H.jpg

M'Lady
*kneels*
My Queen

Probably not.

Whatever she raised I do not know how it was managed. Probably could have though.

People need to read that Forbes article, then check the date.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I watched the first FemFreq, where Mario was deemed to be "problematic" because Peach was the damsel in distress and Anita inferred from that that Peach was nothing more than a trophy. She chose to see it as badly as she possibly could because that was the point she wanted to make.

That was all I needed to know about Anita Sarkeesian and her work.

Top Bottom