• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian is tired, closes feminist frequency after 15 years

They're (were?) the Warframe community managers. They generally put on an entertaining livestream back in the day :messenger_grinning_squinting:

No bulli Rebecca and Megan :(
Rebecca (aka Space Mom) is the director of Warframe now. Got promoted because the previous director is on their new game now (Wayfarer? Wayfinder? Something like that).

And yeah I agree, let's not compare someone as horrible as Anita to Reb...

SushiReese

I kinda hate to admit it, but it definitely does feel like Anita was the catalyst for a lot of the modern design we see with female video game characters today, particularly with Western games. She quickly became irrelevant over the years, but she definitely made an impact that rippled throughout the gaming industry.
Sadly but true. Could we recall the last time western dev especially NA dev have created a new "sexy" female character in AAA games since 2010s? All we see is like "strong independent women" or outright raging lesbian girl-boss who don't need man at all. (Horizons/TLUS/Overwatch).
Latest triple-A game female characters who I consider generally attractive are Ashely/Ada Wong in RE4 remake, which is produced by JP companies. Even under hard censorship, Chinese games companies could produce more attractive female characters than western counter-part now.

Last edited:
I kinda hate to admit it, but it definitely does feel like Anita was the catalyst for a lot of the modern design we see with female video game characters today, particularly with Western games. She quickly became irrelevant over the years, but she definitely made an impact that rippled throughout the gaming industry.
I rather can believe that she just rode and profited from the pseudo "empowering" we are entitled victims (oxy)moronic modern feminism delusion, than actually changing anything herself, by design definitely did not improve anything.
All those gender focused experts learning their trade in the 80s and forth all found some BS area where they can see and create problems and make a big fuss about them. She was just a minor part in that toxic thought system.

Hudo

images
Is that her? Isn't that kind of hypocritical to rail against the "sexualization of women in video games" but then go and dress like that for a public event?

SaucyJack

Sadly but true. Could we recall the last time western dev especially NA dev have created a new "sexy" female character in AAA games since 2010s? All we see is like "strong independent women" or outright raging lesbian girl-boss who don't need man at all. (Horizons/TLUS/Overwatch).
Latest triple-A game female characters who I consider generally attractive are Ashely/Ada Wong in RE4 remake, which is produced by JP companies. Even under hard censorship, Chinese games companies could produce more attractive female characters than western counter-part now.

Neither of those tropes is mutually exclusive with sexy though.

I mean Lara Croft has always been a strong independent woman and for most of her 27 years and close to 20 games has also been sexy. Unfortunately the last trilogy has made her simultaneously less strong, less independent and less sexy. 🤷‍♂️

And Ass Creed seemed ok with making Evie Frye and Aveline reasonably sexy, the female Eivor was OK, Kassandra not so much.

Red5

Neither of those tropes is mutually exclusive with sexy though.

I mean Lara Croft has always been a strong independent woman and for most of her 27 years and close to 20 games has also been sexy. Unfortunately the last trilogy has made her simultaneously less strong, less independent and less sexy. 🤷‍♂️

And Ass Creed seemed ok with making Evie Frye and Aveline reasonably sexy, the female Eivor was OK, Kassandra not so much.

Am I in the minority that find new lara more naturally pretty than old lara? Maybe it's the tech, but she's way hotter than old Lara. They both murder kill a ton of people tho, old Lara doesn't suffer from the narrative dissonance.

SaucyJack

Am I in the minority that find new lara more naturally pretty than old lara? Maybe it's the tech, but she's way hotter than old Lara. They both murder kill a ton of people tho, old Lara doesn't suffer from the narrative dissonance.

Pretty, yes. Sexy, not so much.

peish

haven't play tlou2, does the pregnant character also able to shoot zombies and batter them with a budging weapon?

I never said she was perfect, but I think her essentially be the catalyst to a major change did more good than what the opposition claimed would happen to the industry had people listened to her. Most of those people who were in starch opposition are just red pilers now while she had an impact on the industry as far as the kinds of characters we've gotten since then. Sadly she will always be a charaitcure to people who were way to tuned into the discourse at the time. I think people who learn about it in hindsight are far more charitable.

She didn't change anything. At least not for the better.

The industry always had excellent, strong female characters. Anita just chose to pick out the more tropey ones in certain games in order to create a narrative that they were too prevalent when in reality they weren't.

Thankfully we still have sexualized female characters in certain games. If Anita had her way she would have eradicated them entirely. Her only actual legacy in the industry, however, was a rise in unflattering, unattractive, female characters; which in large part simply became self-inserts of the talent-less devs working on the games. While I have very little against characters that appear more grounded in reality, i.e. not every character should look like a supermodel, not every female character should be so fucking irredeemably ugly either. The pendulum swung too hard the wrong way.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Props for them to knowing when to stop. I guess when she started things could improve, but these days anyone still complaining is just chasing clot.

Gojiira

That’s the sad part, in that the western developers all completely folded like cheap cameras so fast that activists like her had no place to go and no way to grift off grievance any more.
I think even people like her thought they would put up a bigger fight and she could make a career being the feminist fighting against misogyny in gaming for the rest of her life, or a least 20-30 years.
Aloy in particular hurts, her concept art, the official artwork, all the marketing stuff shows her as this slender, cute redhead…Such a damn shame.
Have you seen her character model in that cel shaded look the game had at one point? She looked cute, such a damn shame 😩

NovaSe7en

Whatever affect this has had on western game design, we are partly to blame. We gave her the attention she didn't deserve.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus has you covered.

NSFW i guess:

Anya-as-the-carnivalesque-female-birthing-death.jpg

I found this game even more ridiculous than TLOU2.

That game did a lot of ridiculous things (mostly dumb) but man, that shit took the cake.

Just a total laugh out loud wtf moment that Im sure Machinegames thought was powerful and brave :messenger_grinning_squinting:

NovaSe7en

We didn't force developers and writers to follow her recommendations.

My argument is that developers and various organizations and media outlets would not have even known she existed had the internet not blown it up into something bigger than it was. We fell for the troll and paid the price.

Maybe it would have happened regardless in a slightly different way at a different time because of the woke virus, but no way to know for sure.

Majormaxxx

My argument is that developers and various organizations and media outlets would not have even known she existed had the internet not blown it up into something bigger than it was. We fell for the troll and paid the price.

Maybe it would have happened regardless in a slightly different way at a different time because of the woke virus, but no way to know for sure.
Maybe, but devs didn't learn about her from youtube. She inserted herself in expos, talks, was advisor etc. Youtube was the tip of the iceberg. Real life networking in the silicon valley - Seattle, SF, LA etc...

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

In my humble opinion, the most it did was inorganically create two new genres of game: Woke and over the top unwoke. Japanese games take a weird middle of the ven diagram position.

As has been said earlier in this thread, gaming was never a boy's club by design. Little girls and teenage girls have played videogames in my periphery since I can remember. The only chicks who felt excluded were the center of attention Third wave feminist types whom suddenly removed their heads from their asses/holes in the ground and realized most of their gender is having fun while they pontificate about justice on Twatter.

She clearly took advantage of her gender role, ironically, given the nature of her lectern performances, but the irony is lost on most of her devout apostles that the only reason she was able to become such a media darling is because the greater public saw her as a meek, diminutive, pretty little girl getting bullied on the playground. The grift that keeps on giving.

It should be a rule of forum etiquette to never make sweeping statements with the royal we. I've never been fooled by this song and dance, and others would claim the same, lest this entire Gamergate Saga wouldn't have happened.

It's a perfect example of weaponizing normie opinions about culture that they're not a part of or have no knowledge of for ideological crusades. It's like the old days with Jack Thompson. Show at 74 year old grandmother a highlight reel of mowing down NPCs and shooting prostitutes in GTA on Fox News. Of course they're appalled, but the segment is five minutes long- there's no context of "You can run over anyone, not just hookers," or "You're not supposed to play the game like that," or "Most main missions don't entail this," No. You get an old woman who thinks the youth are turning on their Playstation and just immediately thrown into MOW A WHORE 64!!!

Death threats sound scary to the average normie. "Oh my God, this random stranger is anonymously sending me death threats over a friendly game!" when in reality, there's some 14 year old on XBL (or Twitter) with a username like MrBeastsDad69 saying shit like "Hahahaha I'm gonna kill you in ur dry coochie u bitch kek," and most of the pain and dread here comes from trying to translate it into readable English.

*Some people* fell for it.

Is that her? Isn't that kind of hypocritical to rail against the "sexualization of women in video games" but then go and dress like that for a public event?
nah. she's simply employing the ever-reliable female rap/hiphop sexualization standard: when anyone else does it to you, it's demeaning. when you do it to yourself, it's empowering. now of course, since women in video games are unfortunately incapable of doing it to themselves, it's therefore always demeaning...

Fake

The pregnant character is a skilled doctor and they were transporting her when their squad is ambushed. Abby also comments that she shouldn't be out and tries to convince her to stay behind.

And why this matter? Do you ever serve the army? I did. They talk, you obey.

There are thieves and zombies out there, but bruh a pregnant woman choise whatever is better for her to do because how dare you to say what a woman can or not do.

deathsaber

Yeah, its always basically have a videogame character look good, show off or accentuate some part of the body or whatever- and its OMG, that's sexist! ... tropes...for the male gaz...(insert buzz word/phrase here)"

But then she or someone else in their fold dress a little sexy and of course thats "empowering" and OK, because its "their choice" or something. But also simultaneously "But look at my eyes, and not my rack, or I will call the horny police and they will CANCEL you!"

Top Bottom